post #2161 of 4330 Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Speaking of RGB, Is it better to set my STB/DVR Motorola QIP 7232 to output RGB or YCC 444 in the menu options for "Color Space" ? I've read that setting it to YCC clips part of the 'Whites" and that RGB does NOT clip them @ all. Your takes are appreciated. Thanks, Brian.
additionally, are Samsung E-series pdps able to resolve YCC 444 without any issues?

If you set it to RGB just know you'll need to dial the gamma in to match. Which is a curved gamma response, not flat (at this point I don't think any gamma should be flat anyway). It makes a significant difference; especially with sRGB signal.

Without seeing how the box performs myself it's really hard to say which setting is better. If someone who has the same STB on the same provider with the same software/firmware says it clips the it probably does. You'd be better off asking this in an area that discusses your specific provider/hardware.

Yes, no issues with YCrCb/YUV and RGB 4:4:4 that I have seen. Just remember what is mentioned with the gamma if you do choose to go with RGB.

-SiGGy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4330 Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
How is 720p on this set? Is it crisp and clear, or does it suffer from any sort of muddiness? The Panasonic plasmas are confirmed to have a horrible "oil painting" type effect with 720p content, probably because the internal scaler is rubbish.

Also, any skipped frames in 3D content?
post #2163 of 4330 Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

How is 720p on this set? Is it crisp and clear, or does it suffer from any sort of muddiness? The Panasonic plasmas are confirmed to have a horrible "oil painting" type effect with 720p content, probably because the internal scaler is rubbish.

720p is fantastic on the E series. Much sharper than Panasonic.

CD

Reality Based.
post #2164 of 4330 Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI

Sound and Vision has a great review on the E8000 in the Sept. 2012 issue.

Home Theatre Mag has a glowing review of the E7000 in the Aug. 2012 issue.

CD

Reality Based.
post #2165 of 4330 Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have noticed with any fade in game or in film the screen will shut off suddenly revealing an all black screen before returning to scene. I have also began to see pink/green splotches (blobs) on the white/grey slides. While watching Up,Wall-e and Tron I have noticed the same thing occuring in the clouds of Up, the robot repair facility on the space station and in the house scene when the room turns white when Flynn turns to greet Sam. Are these things that will that will work themselves out while aging the panel?
post #2166 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Just ordered a 64E7000, taking advantage of the recent freebie offers. Went with Crutchfield so I can do a worry free return if I need to. I hope this works out.... I really wanted good 3D and good motion for my video games and stellar Blu Ray playback, without all the LED and especially edge-lit issues, and without spending $5K plus. Also desperately needed good 720p handling so Panny was a no go. Seemed like this was the only game in town. I hope the dimness and slight flicker on white screens isn't going to be a problem... same with the buzz reports. All the reviews I've read over the past few weeks kept pointing me back to this set. This, or an $8K Elite.

Hopefully this will satisfy my urge to upgrade my 52" CCFL Samsung A650 from 2008 until a 65"+ OLED set comes out. I'm fearing the worst, and that it will be worse than my 52" CCFL!! Guess I can't be too disappointed that way.
post #2167 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I have noticed with any fade in game or in film the screen will shut off suddenly revealing an all black screen before returning to scene. I have also began to see pink/green splotches (blobs) on the white/grey slides. While watching Up,Wall-e and Tron I have noticed the same thing occuring in the clouds of Up, the robot repair facility on the space station and in the house scene when the room turns white when Flynn turns to greet Sam. Are these things that will that will work themselves out while aging the panel?

The first thing is normal. On fades to black, the panel will turn off. This has been noted in reviews as well. Haven't noticed the second issue.
post #2168 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Liked: 15
With my E7000 I'm noticing quite a bit of posterization / clay face with pretty good HD sources. Can't seem to dial it out, turned off all noise reduction, lowered contrast , etc. Anyone else seeing this or can recommend setting to try. Thanks
post #2169 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Jav, are you using 10pt white balance? I think a similar problem was described resulting from overuse of those settings in the UK E6500 review.
post #2170 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 13
I just upgraded from my 2 year old pn50c7000yf into a pn51e8000gf thanks to best buys replacement plan.
Anyways, i know this is a better tv (and i cant tell), but there is one aspect i kind of missed out of my old tv.
The video on my old tv looked very fluid, almost camcorder like (i think epople reffer to it as the spanish soap opera effect). I know it was generally despised for the most part... But i am one of the extreme few that liked it. Anyways, is there any way to enable that on this new tv?
Thanks in adavnce
post #2171 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard2798 View Post

I just upgraded from my 2 year old pn50c7000yf into a pn51e8000gf thanks to best buys replacement plan.
Anyways, i know this is a better tv (and i cant tell), but there is one aspect i kind of missed out of my old tv.
The video on my old tv looked very fluid, almost camcorder like (i think epople reffer to it as the spanish soap opera effect). I know it was generally despised for the most part... But i am one of the extreme few that liked it. Anyways, is there any way to enable that on this new tv?
Thanks in adavnce

this is the first time I've herd of anyone who likes SOE
why would you want SOE when watching movies, it would destroy the natural film
like quality movies are supposed to have.
A 'film like' quality is one of the hallmarks of plasma tech
and is even more desired in a dark room.
anyway:
turn the Sharpness to 0 (I think the default is 40
post #2172 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Jav, are you using 10pt white balance? I think a similar problem was described resulting from overuse of those settings in the UK E6500 review.

No, not using 10pt wb. Using Movie mode, sometimes standard, with everything off, cell light 20, contrast usually 80-85, brightness 45-48 and color anywhere from 48-52.
post #2173 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Liked: 13
I know i know... I am just retarded that way... And i mistyped in my original post... I meant i CAN tell the tv image is better.... Just that i missed the soe smile.gif
post #2174 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

The first thing is normal. On fades to black, the panel will turn off. This has been noted in reviews as well. Haven't noticed the second issue.

check out the part in Kill Bill 2 when she is buried in the casket and
before she turns on the flashlight the fade to black goes off and on like crazy.
post #2175 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 PM

I'm hoping some of the experienced DIY calibrators out there can help me understand how to dial in the Color of the primaries and secondaries. I've been using Curt Palme's Greyscale and Colour calibration for dummies thread. I've managed to dial my greyscale DeltaE's below 3 for every point except 10% IRE. I'm now attempting to dial in the color now, but I'm a little bit confused.

Here is part 8 of Curt Palme's Colour calibration :
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117708#117708

He goes into how to use advanced CMS like in our E8000's, but the terminology is throwing me off.
For each primary and secondary color we can calibrate, we have control over Red, Blue, and Green adjustment for each of those.

He explains to first set "Lightness" for each primary and get it to a specified Y value reading. I'm not sure which setting this refers to on our set. I'm guessing for Red, the lightness control is the Red adjustment? ?

Then after Lightness is dialed in, he explains to go into each primary and secondary and adjust the "Hue" and "Saturation" until they reach close to a specified x/y value. Again not sure what this would refer to for our set or how to go about dialing in these color x/y values with the settings we have available.

I'm using HCFR and an i1 Display 2 colorimeter.

Any assistance or guidance with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2176 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Quote:

before she turns on the flashlight the fade to black goes off and on like crazy.

Yep. I'm sure it's more prominent and annoying in some movies over others. Again and unfortunately, normal for this television.
post #2177 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filch View Post

I'm hoping some of the experienced DIY calibrators out there can help me understand how to dial in the Color of the primaries and secondaries. I've been using Curt Palme's Greyscale and Colour calibration for dummies thread. I've managed to dial my greyscale DeltaE's below 3 for every point except 10% IRE. I'm now attempting to dial in the color now, but I'm a little bit confused.
Here is part 8 of Curt Palme's Colour calibration :
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117708#117708
He goes into how to use advanced CMS like in our E8000's, but the terminology is throwing me off.
For each primary and secondary color we can calibrate, we have control over Red, Blue, and Green adjustment for each of those.
He explains to first set "Lightness" for each primary and get it to a specified Y value reading. I'm not sure which setting this refers to on our set. I'm guessing for Red, the lightness control is the Red adjustment? ?
Then after Lightness is dialed in, he explains to go into each primary and secondary and adjust the "Hue" and "Saturation" until they reach close to a specified x/y value. Again not sure what this would refer to for our set or how to go about dialing in these color x/y values with the settings we have available.
I'm using HCFR and an i1 Display 2 colorimeter.
Any assistance or guidance with this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Larry's Samsung-specific workflow should work just fine on your E. Much easier than translating the dummies guide over to the Samsung youself (been through it, too):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread/2430#post_21785199
post #2178 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

I think there are a few reasons for this. One is availability. Where I am, only one brick and mortar place has it on display, not even in stock. Many online retailers aren't even carrying it, at least not yet. Two, lack of reviews. I've read two reviews, both positive, on Cnet and at HDJ, while it seems the Panasonic models, from the VT all the way to the UT, have been reviewed by everyone and their brother. Three, the 2012 shootout. Although declared the 2nd best plasma, the "approaching Kuro blacks" has everyone a-buzz. And the extremely positive reviews on the ST have fueled ths as well, and to a certain extent, the UT.
I was in this boat too, but after going through 4 Panasonics, 2 2011s and 2 2012, all with issues, I went with the 51E8000 and couldn't be happier.

I would like to add that Samsung seems to be synonymous with LED technology and retailers really push these Samsungs while their cheaper and much better overall performer plasmas are treated as the ugly step sister. Too bad as Samsung is very competitive with Panasonic in plasma technology. Thank gosh for online retailers such as Amazon.

I have a 60E7000 and I too couldn't be happier wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #2179 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Hey guys try running a calibration disc either the AVS one or Spears & Munsil something of that nature and those black problems you are having will disappear. It happened with both my D7000 & my E7000. Your brightness just isn't calibrated correctly. After using my Spears and Munsil disc those problems are gone.
post #2180 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post

Hey guys try running a calibration disc either the AVS one or Spears & Munsil something of that nature and those black problems you are having will disappear. It happened with both my D7000 & my E7000. Your brightness just isn't calibrated correctly. After using my Spears and Munsil disc those problems are gone.
I have been meaning to pick up the spears&munsil I have heard great things about will check out. Thanks for the insight.
post #2181 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Larry's Samsung-specific workflow should work just fine on your E. Much easier than translating the dummies guide over to the Samsung youself (been through it, too):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread/2430#post_21785199

The latest version of this document can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread/2880#post_22299923

Larry
post #2182 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 09:25 PM

does anyone happen to have some calibration settings for the e7000?
post #2183 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuwmmorales View Post

What exactly does the ferrite cord metal piece do? Does it just help static in the picture if their or will it help with like clicking noises that I get sometimes from my e8000 even when tv is off. Thanks to who has the knowledge!!!link

Ferrites are simply to prevent the TV from radiating RFI, which some devices are sensitive to. This is regulated by the FCC, who states that no such interference is allowed. Generally speaking, they WILL NOT prevent common "noises" coming from the TV or any other device. Odds are you will not notice a difference with our withour them, but they don't hurt if used properly.
post #2184 of 4330 Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post

This is correct based on our experience with the D series. Once you have contrast where you like (cell should be set to 20), you should always calibrate brightness with a test disc, it's VERY easy. AVS HD 709 is freely available here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooodstevenn View Post

does anyone happen to have some calibration settings for the e7000?

Start with the cnet settings but do not copy full calibarations (i.e., omit white balance and color) they cannot be borrowed from another TV. Those who think that works have never seen a proper calibration.
post #2185 of 4330 Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

After first full week with E7000 I continue to find things I love about it. Was able to pick a D8000 a bout 5 months ago as an open item at Best buy. I had it for about a weeks noticed some burn in from BB loop video tried running pixel flipper and had black vertical bars appear on screen. I went back to saving and was able to pick up the E7000 and am every bit as impressed as I was with 8000. One of the best electronic purchasss I have made.
post #2186 of 4330 Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

After first full week with E7000 I continue to find things I love about it. Was able to pick a D8000 a bout 5 months ago as an open item at Best buy. I had it for about a weeks noticed some burn in from BB loop video tried running pixel flipper and had black vertical bars appear on screen. I went back to saving and was able to pick up the E7000 and am every bit as impressed as I was with 8000. One of the best electronic purchasss I have made.

A day or two ago you mentioned the pink/green blobs which you apparently can also see in some normal material. Has this changed and was it there from the very beginning?
post #2187 of 4330 Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yea wish I had the coin for one of those 'Pro' panels and the 64" no less.
How is the heat level from the screen and are you tempted to do the Zoid tweeks to get a little better blacks?
post #2188 of 4330 Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 PM

is it true the e8000 has a different screen than the e7000?
post #2189 of 4330 Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoodles View Post

No. It is the same as the E6500 as well. Clear Black Pro. The E8000 *may* have slightly better processing of SD and other less pristine sources than the E7000 or E6500 but nothing really major from what I have read.
post #2190 of 4330 Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoodles View Post

No.
The 2012 E6500 and up use the new 'Pro' Real Black Filter panel.
The 'Pro' filter is an upgrade to the glass itself and the software is upgraded also.
These new 'Pro' Real Black Filter panels were NOT on the D series including the D8000.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page