AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#7 ·
+1 on buzzing question. I always thought the buzzing complaints were people nitpicking...until I got one.

Bought a PN59D7000 a few weeks ago and was absolutely in love with the picture quality. But I could not tolerate the buzz, and had to return it. Could hear it from 12 feet away--unless I really cranked up the volume on my 5.1 setup (and would still hear it if there was dialogue only).

I was thinking of getting another one, but the complaint is so widespread (just read the reviews on Best Buy and Amazon) that I get the sense that they all buzz, and it really comes down to whether it bothers you or not--and I am definitely in the "it really bothers me" camp.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 /forum/post/21796209

Smart Evolution i think they call it.

Yes, thank you

Does anyone know if the *plasma* E8000's have Smart Evolution? I haven't seen any reports that confirm nor deny this.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 /forum/post/21795710

Having replaced 4 tvs last year I wonder about the buzzing too

Is there an option to turn off the local dimming (when screen goes black).

I hate this feature on my plasma, especially during openingcredits, trailers etc it totally flips from off to on

Local dimming of LEDs on a plasma? I think you're thinking of something else...local contrast enhancer perhaps? What you're describing I don't know what it's called or what causes it but I don't think it's the LCE either.

This new E series sounds pretty cool, but I got a winner on my PN59D8000 so wont be looking to this generation unless something goes terribly wrong and Samsung wants to get me a new model.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Guy /forum/post/21795875

You should add the E6500 to this thread too. I just ordered mine, it will arrive Saturday.

How is it? I was set on the D7000 until I saw the E7000 was coming out this month... now that I've seen the specs, it looks like the E6500 is not much different, aside from the dual-core processor and stand.

Wondering if I should just pick up the E6500, or if it's worth waiting another week or two and the extra $200-300 for the E7000.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd /forum/post/21796348

Local dimming of LEDs on a plasma? I think you're thinking of something else...local contrast enhancer perhaps? What you're describing I don't know what it's called or what causes it but I don't think it's the LCE either.

This new E series sounds pretty cool, but I got a winner on my PN59D8000 so wont be looking to this generation unless something goes terribly wrong and Samsung wants to get me a new model.

Or auto dimming or something, I dont know what this ridiculous stupid feature is called. Like with the openingcredits of Jurassic Park, the pixels turns from on to off during this to establish a deeper black during a complete black scene but if there is one little piece grey then it flips back on again, it is annoying to watch, sometimes it just goes off and on for like 8 times during a dark scene. I just want the screen to remain on all the time. I just watched the trailer for Prometheus and it looks great but this feature ruins it...

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 /forum/post/0

Or auto dimming or something, I dont know what this ridiculous stupid feature is called. Like with the openingcredits of Jurassic Park, the pixels turns from on to off during this to establish a deeper black during a complete black scene but if there is one little piece grey then it flips back on again, it is annoying to watch, sometimes it just goes off and on for like 8 times during a dark scene. I just want the screen to remain on all the time. I just watched the trailer for Prometheus and it looks great but this feature ruins it...

What you're describing sounds like fbr. What model do you have?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 /forum/post/0

It not fbr, the tv intentionally switches the pixels off during a full black scene, PS51D550 (Im in europe) its a great set apart from that, I just wondered if it could be switched off...

The reason I ask is that I thought someone had mentioned a while back a possible side effect of the fbr firmware fix that sounds a lot like what you're experiencing.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namssorg /forum/post/21796725

How is it? I was set on the D7000 until I saw the E7000 was coming out this month... now that I've seen the specs, it looks like the E6500 is not much different, aside from the dual-core processor and stand.

Wondering if I should just pick up the E6500, or if it's worth waiting another week or two and the extra $200-300 for the E7000.

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there anything that sets the E7000 apart from the E6500, in terms of PQ? The dual-core processor is not that important to me...

#18 ·
My E6500 won't arrive until Saturday. This will be my first plasma, so I won't have another one to compare it to, only an LCD. I'm going to run slides on it as soon as I receive it, so it will be a almost a couple weeks before I can actually watch it. I went with this over the E7000 because I couldn't find any information about a difference in PQ online, only that the E7000 had a slightly thinner frame, better speakers and the dual-core processor. All of which don't matter to me. I can always exchange it for the E7000 if someone finds out differently in the next 30 days. I'll post any problems I find while setting it up.

#19 ·
Hi everyone, I am an owner of a pn64e8000 purchased two days ago. I also own the pn64d8000. I think both tvs are great but I do think picture quality looks the same. That means both good bitty no difference. My opinion only. One thing I do notice is happening with the e8000 and don't understand why. Is the upper right corner of tv a tiny small spark sound once in while happens. It's very faint but if you get close you can hear it. Even when the tv is off. Any suggestions to what it could be? It does not effect picture at all, at least not yet. The browser is ten times better on E8000 than the d. E8000 has absolutely no buzzing. So quiet except that small little faint clicking noise. What should I do?

#22 ·
I just got off the phone with Samsung and they will be picking up my 64D8000 and exchanging it for a new set. Whether it's the 64E8000 or the same set I'm not sure yet as they will call me about it but I'm sure going to push for the new set. My 64D had a problem with 3D PQ.

What I'd like to know from owners of the new sets is if the 3D picture is any brighter than the 2011 models? A brighter 3D picture is the one of the things I hoped they tweaked in this years set. If not I'm assuming Samsungs PDP can't get any brighter for 3D.

#23 ·
Hi Guys,

Is there any improvement noticed with Motion with the E8000's 'Clear Image Panel' over the D series of last year ?.

Many thanks

#24 ·
@Tony > Congrats for your plasma E8000! Could you please send some pictures? It would be great.

- Any buzzing?

- Any retention?

- Do you notice some judder despite the 24p mode? I noticed on the D8000 that movies were not always super fluid...

Thanks in advance!

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 /forum/post/21796985

That may be the famous Fbr, fluctuating brightness, for which there is now a firmware fix from Samsung (they send it to you, not a download) and a thread dedicated to that around here if you search for it....

My set does not do that in any case (PN59D8000). Mine doesn't buzz either. No peeling. Not a room heater. I feel so left out sometimes.

#26 ·
Xander my pnd8000 does not buzz. Thank god. But the thing I'm trying to figure out with my e8000 is after we watch tv for a little bit and them lets say time for bed lol when we turn it off it sounds like the bezel or plastic makes crackling noises. It goes on for about 20 min and then stops. It's like cracking noises in different areas. My buddy told me that alot of plasmas heat up and then as they cool down the back of the tv or bezel expands and that's whats happening any input anyone?