New TV time wait or no? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok I've had a Samsung pn50b860 for the last 2 years but it went out bad panel. Thankfully I had a warranty on it so they are allowing me to get a new set. I am looking at either the pn60 or 64e8000 or the tcp65vt50. I do have one major concern with the panny it would be the weight since my wall isn't the greatest and I have a heavy full motion mount attached to it as well. But it seems like the pannys get more love around here I usually watch with one lamp on in the room I only sit like 8 to 9 feet away. I game a lot as well. I do shut the lights for movie time though. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
There's next to no info on either set, but I'm sure both will be very good. If I had to pick one, I would go with the VT50 though. Admittedly, I have a slight preference for Panasonic as a company, but that's a relatively small reason why I would go with the VT50 (I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Samsung if it performed better). Judging how the ST50 performs, I think that the VT50 is going to be a beast and I think that it will have an edge on the E8000 overall.

I think now is an ok time to buy. If you're gonna wait for anything, I would wait for reviews for both TVs, then decide.

As for weight, they both weigh about the same, so I dunno why your concern is only with the VT50. If you're concerned about the weight, either go with a 55VT50 or 60E8000, or get a new mount/stand.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

There's next to no info on either set, but I'm sure both will be very good. If I had to pick one, I would go with the VT50 though. Admittedly, I have a slight preference for Panasonic as a company, but that's a relatively small reason why I would go with the VT50 (I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Samsung if it performed better). Judging how the ST50 performs, I think that the VT50 is going to be a beast and I think that it will have an edge on the E8000 overall.

I think now is an ok time to buy. If you're gonna wait for anything, I would wait for reviews for both TVs, then decide.

As for weight, they both weigh about the same, so I dunno why your concern is only with the VT50. If you're concerned about the weight, either go with a 55VT50 or 60E8000, or get a new mount/stand.

I'm in the same boat, and I agree- if you want to make a wise decision, I think you're going to have to wait until at least mid-May time-frame, if not later. Unfortunately the rumors are the Samsung will enforce their UPP pricing model on April 1st, so any deals on the E-series might die on that day. That said, I don't know how long they'll be able to keep it up, especially since Panasonic is dropping their MSRP by a few hundred dollars this year.

As for weight, Samsung will clearly win in that category. The weights are already published. Samsung's 64" E8000 is 74.1 lbs, while Panasonic's 65" P65VT50 will be 97.1 lbs (both w/o stand).

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #4 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Oops, my bad... you're right about the weight.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I'm in the same boat, and I agree- if you want to make a wise decision, I think you're going to have to wait until at least mid-May time-frame, if not later. Unfortunately the rumors are the Samsung will enforce their UPP pricing model on April 1st, so any deals on the E-series might die on that day. That said, I don't know how long they'll be able to keep it up, especially since Panasonic is dropping their MSRP by a few hundred dollars this year.

As for weight, Samsung will clearly win in that category. The weights are already published. Samsung's 64" E8000 is 74.1 lbs, while Panasonic's 65" P65VT50 will be 97.1 lbs (both w/o stand).

Pricing is not an issue I work for a retailer. And I would like to leave the tv where it is there isn't many other ways my room could be set up.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Liked: 13
Wow, that is a big difference in weight!
I would wait for the reviews!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1965 View Post

Wow, that is a big difference in weight!
I would wait for the reviews!

Last year it was even more the panny weighed in at over 125 if I remember correctly. And yes i was trying to wait on reviews just getting antsy I guess.. At least the broken tv isn't unbearable. Just a black line the size of a pixel all the way across it. And the bad Samsung experience isn't helping me sway that way again as much as I liked the tv. 2 years seems rather short but either way I will be protected again.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
If weight is an issue, maybe wait to see what the OLED sets look like by the end of the year.

Will be expensive, and maybe hard to get.

buytme
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you leave a light on while viewing, and weight is a concern, consider the 55-inch LG passive 3-D LED sets. (47 pounds for the 55-inch). Your "ambilight" will make the blacks blacker, and the passive 3-D is underappreciated. ESPN's 3-D Masters broadcast is more jaw-dropping on these displays than any 2-D display, plasma or otherwise.

Too bad the 2011 models are gone -- they were a great deal in February.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page