post #271 of 426 Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post

Here is a very "Novice" question, Do you guys think all the IR and tint issues could be a '60 size issue or is this same thing effecting the 51' size too?

IR can occur on any screen size, usually on this forum however people get the biggest screen they can so the majority of people have 60"+ thus all the reports of 60"+ owners. There are plenty of owners of sizes 60"+ inches that havent had any issues at all.
EricST likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 426 Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI Everyone,

I searched for this issue everywhere in the forum, but couldn't find an answer

On my PN60E6500 which i recently bought, I have my HTPC , a DELL Studio Slim 540S, running a NVIDIA 9500GT card connected via HDMI 1 / DVI input on the TV. The input is renamed to "PC" so that it doesn't overscan and make it look all crappy.

All of my other inputs on the TV, HDMI 2: XBOX 360; HDMI 3 Panasonic Bluray, work just fine.

However on the PC input on HDMI 1; when I watch TV/Movie/etc after a few minutes I notice the black level change. Best way to explain is if I watching a widescreen movie , the two black borders on the top and bottom change from deep black to slight grey/black (that's when I noticed it); so the picture has less black level (brighter), a very slight washed out look (so low that my girlfriend finds it hard to notice). This just happens every time I switch on the TV and watch anything on the HTPC for a few minutes. What the content I watch doesn't make a difference, it happens, every time after a few minutes, even if I was just loading a webpage (which I don do often)

But the crazy thing is; if I switch inputs sources, to XBOX and than back to my HTPC; then it goes back to being the deep black and no issues until I switch the TV off again. Or I have to goto the Menu; select picture settings; select Black level to Normal, then back to low; which somehow causes the TV to "reset" it's black level to what it was.

So now I had to make a custom button on my Harmony remote to switch sources quickly and back to HTPC; in order to "Reset" the black level everytime I use the TV and this happens.

I have gone through all of the Dynamic settings on the TV and switched them off to try and isolate this issue. Dynamic contrast is off by default for PC input; ECO auto dimming settings are all off; everything is set to standard, Pixel shifting to stop burn-is also off. I have re-installed the HTPC; tried different drivers, but no luck. Somehow since this only happens on the TV and goes away when I switch source or adjust black level, I am led to believe this is issue/setting on the TV I am missing, and not the HTPC. Just to add, I have even switched the HDMI inputs around to check if it's an issue with HDMI 1 input, same issue even then.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I am out of solutions to try now .
post #273 of 426 Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

...This TV was so great up until now and now it's junk. Seventeen hundred dollars down the drain. I have no idea what to do except go cry in a corner.

Sorry about the issues you're experiencing but why not simply put in a service request? I had to do that twice and was treated well by Samsung and the repair center they contract the job out to, on both occasions.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #274 of 426 Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
I was wrong. The TV's just fine. Turns out I'm just a big dummy. It doesn't buzz any louder than normal. I'll be keeping it. smile.gif
post #275 of 426 Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

I was wrong. The TV's just fine. Turns out I'm just a big dummy. It doesn't buzz any louder than normal. I'll be keeping it. smile.gif

DId you delete your original post? what was the reason for the issues that made you think you are a 'Big dummy" smile.gif
post #276 of 426 Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancman View Post

HI Everyone,
I searched for this issue everywhere in the forum, but couldn't find an answer
On my PN60E6500 which i recently bought, I have my HTPC , a DELL Studio Slim 540S, running a NVIDIA 9500GT card connected via HDMI 1 / DVI input on the TV. The input is renamed to "PC" so that it doesn't overscan and make it look all crappy.
All of my other inputs on the TV, HDMI 2: XBOX 360; HDMI 3 Panasonic Bluray, work just fine.
However on the PC input on HDMI 1; when I watch TV/Movie/etc after a few minutes I notice the black level change. Best way to explain is if I watching a widescreen movie , the two black borders on the top and bottom change from deep black to slight grey/black (that's when I noticed it); so the picture has less black level (brighter), a very slight washed out look (so low that my girlfriend finds it hard to notice). This just happens every time I switch on the TV and watch anything on the HTPC for a few minutes. What the content I watch doesn't make a difference, it happens, every time after a few minutes, even if I was just loading a webpage (which I don do often)
But the crazy thing is; if I switch inputs sources, to XBOX and than back to my HTPC; then it goes back to being the deep black and no issues until I switch the TV off again. Or I have to goto the Menu; select picture settings; select Black level to Normal, then back to low; which somehow causes the TV to "reset" it's black level to what it was.
So now I had to make a custom button on my Harmony remote to switch sources quickly and back to HTPC; in order to "Reset" the black level everytime I use the TV and this happens.
I have gone through all of the Dynamic settings on the TV and switched them off to try and isolate this issue. Dynamic contrast is off by default for PC input; ECO auto dimming settings are all off; everything is set to standard, Pixel shifting to stop burn-is also off. I have re-installed the HTPC; tried different drivers, but no luck. Somehow since this only happens on the TV and goes away when I switch source or adjust black level, I am led to believe this is issue/setting on the TV I am missing, and not the HTPC. Just to add, I have even switched the HDMI inputs around to check if it's an issue with HDMI 1 input, same issue even then.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I am out of solutions to try now .

Any ideas guys?
post #277 of 426 Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 AM

Bought a PS51E6500 this week.

What changes would happen over the 150 hours 'break in' period?

I've run it for about 30 hours so far from a HTPC using media player set to repeat a 720P TV documentary over and over.

So far it does buzz rather badly, in my opinion. Is annoying me quite a bit. Probably worse than the 36 in Sony CRT. I expected a modern telly to be a lot quieter than that, this is louder and a more annoying set of noises. It gets much louder during white scenes.

I'm in the UK and there is a low price here at the moment on these, about £700. I'm not going to change it for a £1000 Panasonic or other Samsung. So it's this 51 inch or nothing. I certainly can't leave the TV on in the background with the sound off or low as the harsh noise is causing me too much stress and is making me feel a bit unwell / irritable. I bought it just to watch films and some TV series in HD (as I'd had enough of black being mid grey on the Dell IPS monitor; I wanted a decent black level) so, after running in, it won't be played with no, or low, volume. But that noise still does add a background noise and damages the Hi-Fi quality of the sound.

At the moment I'm doing my best to tolerate it but I want to take the back of the telly and try and do something about it.

Questions:

• What improvements are there with the 150 hours running in.

• Will the buzzing reduce during that time?

• I tried the CNet calibration last night. As soon as I did the 24P setting from the ATI HD5450 and Cinema Smooth on the TV, there was about 2 seconds audio lag!!! I had to revert to 60Hz from the PC.

• The picture from the PC was bigger than the TV screen. I used ATI 'scaling' until I found 'fit to screen' in the TV. Why would it not just fit the 1080 signal to the 1080 TV screen in the first place?

• I'm see some judder now that I didn't notice before the calibration. Could using the calibration cause this?

• Can I send audio from the ATI 5450 to the TV through the HDMI lead? It's not doing it at the moment. Normally I take the audio from the sound card to the headphones. But I might at some point want to use the TV speakers.

This is all new to me, so far I've only used a 23inch Dell monitor with the PC and it has none of these TV problems.

Thanks.
post #278 of 426 Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 PM

The only improvement is that the set is less likely to get burn in. I would also turn the contrast way down during break in. Buzzing will not reduce.
post #279 of 426 Old 11-04-2012, 02:48 AM

Im so tempted to buy this set BUT the skipping 3D and more importantly the potential buzzing and cheap capacitors is really persuading me from getting this set and plumping for the LG 50PM670T instead.
post #280 of 426 Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlondoner View Post

Im so tempted to buy this set BUT the skipping 3D and more importantly the potential buzzing and cheap capacitors is really persuading me from getting this set and plumping for the LG 50PM670T instead.

Mine has been great. No buzzing. Just calibrated after 200+ hours and the picture is fantastic. This is my 3rd plasma in 8 years. 1st was a Panasonic second was the Sammy C series and now this one.
Out of all of them this one is the best hands down. My first one the Panasonic had the most buzzing. My new Sammy has none.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #281 of 426 Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

Mine has been great. No buzzing. Just calibrated after 200+ hours and the picture is fantastic. This is my 3rd plasma in 8 years. 1st was a Panasonic second was the Sammy C series and now this one.
Out of all of them this one is the best hands down. My first one the Panasonic had the most buzzing. My new Sammy has none.
Care to share your settings?
post #282 of 426 Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

No buzzing
Are you in the UK? Or USA or somewhere else? Sometimes it seems that things buzz more in the UK. I bought some Anthony Gallo active bass units and they all hummmmed, audible from a few metres away, but the American owners say they don't hum at all.

My PS51E6500 is up to about 100 hours and buzzes at different frequencies at the same time. When whiter shades of pale come on, it buzzes a louder and a bit higher pitch. So what it's doing is constantly changing volume and pitch of the various buzzes, making it a lot harder to ignore. The TV is in a room with quite a bit of soft furnishing, full length curtains with thick nets, wall to wall think carpet and underlay. One wall coated with 'softboard / insulation board' which absorbs reverb. There's quite a bit of extraneous noise from passing people, planes, trains and auto-mobiles, so in a quiet, perhaps rural, environment with wood floor and nothing soft, as a lot of people like it, I'd expect the noise to be ridiculous.

I can see screen flicker at, maybe 60Hz. That's a bit annoying too. Though mostly I don't notice it.

When I drag a window from the PC monitor over to the TV, the TV's brightness level drops quite a bit, and of course the buzzing volume ramps up. Should it do that brightness drop?

I'm now on HDMI1 relabelled to PC. The very wrong looking colours and most of the problems seems to go at that point.

Using: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test I adjusted the gamma down to -2. The sharpness to 50 at the moment which looks better with text but less good with 720p TV played from the PC, 100 was better for that and was then nearer to, but not as good as, the Dell U2311H monitor. The black and dark grey shadow and highlighting detail on black and dark grey is all far better with the Dell, I spent many hours on it last night, up until 4am trying to adjust the telly to be as good as the Dell and couldn't get anywhere near. So far it looks like the Dell is better in every way. With the black level on the TV at perhaps 4 times lower, I expected the TV to trounce the Dell, not the other way around. I could make out very fine detail and highlights in black hair with Dell but the telly was soft and indistinct. Same with face stubble and pores, could pretty much count them on the Dell but too soft with the telly. Watching on the telly after 18months on the Dell it feels like I need to get new prescription contact lenses.

I also set:
Cell light: 20
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 87
Colour tone: cool. But I thought I changed that back to Warm1 last night as it seemed a bit too blue sometimes.
Picture mode: standard.

I'll probably fiddle with brightness as it seemed to just add a veil to everything rather than just lighten dark areas to show the shadow detail better. Probably fiddle with all of them.

I put the old Sony 36 inch CRT on and noticed how immensely bright it is. Still shadow detail on par with the E6500, not as good as the Dell, but it looked a bit more like quite natural bright day light, at first I felt like I needed sunglasses! I would say that the E6500 needs more brightness.

Edit:
Colour tone to 'Standard', in some ways 'Cool' looks better to me, somewhere between may be best as 'Standard' it seems a bit too red, I forgot to have a closer look in case 'Cool' is less blue than before now that I've changed the gamma to -2.
Changed the brightness to about 70 to get the background grey to be more black. It's still too grey but any lower and the shadow detail is lost. Can't seem to get this right. Is is because the TV is just not bright enough to adequately highlight black areas like the Dell is? The Dell still looks more real as the reflected light off a face, black coat, shiny car, is more natural and brighter, more wet looking, with the TV this aspect is dulled / muted.

I got the 'black' page up on the Lagom test and on the telly it way medium grey :-( On the Dell is was also grey but the left ⅓ was golden and the right ⅓ was purple, the edges had light bleed from the edge LEDs, especially the bottom which looks like torches are shining up the front of the screen. The whole point of my buying a new Plasma telly was to get an even and very dark black and this telly so doesn't seem to be able to deliver that at the same time as a bright enough picture and even with the brightness up it's not delivering a 'wet look' like the Dell, even though the dell black is far from black. So I'm starting to think the Dell quality is coming from a higher natural brightness. So perhaps LCDs are better despite every reviewer everywhere vouching for Plasmas??
post #283 of 426 Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Just got a 51" on the 29th of Oct and im keeping this one I spent to much time and energy trying TV's and looking at forums. I paid a G and another 230 for extended warranty. So I destroyed my budget.
Also I wanted to say I know what your talking about when it comes to the boarder black fluctuations but I cant help except to say, your not tripping .
My question to everyone is regarding Xbox connection. Does it matter weather I connect via component or HDMI when I label it PC in the source menu. Do the results as far as input response or "lag " differ from one connection type to another when tagged PC. I don't have component cable to experiment with right now but might pick some up. I guess the main reasons for these questions is to get the best response time from the controller and if possible save an HDMI slot for something else. Ive played a bunch on the regular setting online COD MW3 and didnt fair that great but cant blame the 6500. I also played Borderlands 2 on the regular settings and WOW the animated style looked so good.
My tv is noisy , about the same as my old Xbox360 , I wear a headset most of the time anyhow
. Im liking this allot Panel so far. Prometheus was my first 3D and the beginning CGI was pretty awesome for sure the rest in 3D so but it all looked really good on this TV. I cant wait to watch the walking dead next week in HD.
post #284 of 426 Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM

I've only tried HDMI but my guess is you can't use PC mode with component cables.
post #285 of 426 Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbob View Post

Care to share your settings?

Movie Mode

Cell light 20 Contrast 100 Brightness 40 Sharpness 20 Color 50 Tint G50 / R50

Screen Adjustment Picture Size - Screen Fit

Advanced Settings Dynamic Contrast - Off Black Tone -Off Flesh Tone. 0. RGB Mode-Off

COLOR SPACE - Custom

RED - Red 47, Green 28, Blue 28
GREEN - Red 82, Green 100, Blue 0
BLUE - Red 0, Green 25, Blue 47
YELLOW - Red 51, Green 50, Blue 38
CYAN - Red 69, Green 50, Blue 50
MAGENTA - Red 47, Green 37, Blue 52

WHITE BALANCE 10pt

1 - Red +5, Green +4, Blue +3
2 - Red +5, Green +6, Blue +8
3 - Red +7, Green +7, Blue +9
4 - Red +6, Green +7, Blue +8
5 - Red +5, Green +6, Blue +5
6 - Red +3, Green +3, Blue +2
7 - Red +0, Green +2, Blue +1
8 - Red +1, Green +0, Blue -3
9 - Red 0, Green 0, Blue -1
10 - Red 0, Green 0, Blue -1

GAMMA 0

XvYCC - Off

FIRMWARE = 1023

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #286 of 426 Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM

I absolutely love this TV. I didn't want to go the two steps up because I couldn't validate spending an extra $1-2k for a faster processor and thinner bezel since the other features don't mean much to me. I had an issue with the set powering on so they sent someone to repair it. He replaced the board and problem solved. Now I have static lines popping up on the screen and I have checked all of my components. The weird thing is that it won't happen when I'm in the smarthub but it happens with all of my components. Only started after the guy replaced the board, and all of my cables are new. I swapped them out for one another to test. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, even with the small problems (thank God for warranties) I have been facing. Samsung had someone out here within 4 days of submitting my problem, so I can't complain about anything. Well worth the small amount of money that it costs
post #287 of 426 Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Has anyone tried using Amazon Instant Video on their E6500? I get an error that I have to do a software update on my TV first, however when I try to do an update online I'm told there are no updates available. My current version is 001017 on the PN51E6500.
post #288 of 426 Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM

I use Amazon Instant Video often. It works for the most part but I have had similar problems. I think the Smart Hub is unfortunately buggy in general.

Speaking of updates. The last time I did an update it reset all of my picture settings. Luckily I had them written down but It was a huge pain in the butt to change them back.
post #289 of 426 Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Guy View Post

Has anyone tried using Amazon Instant Video on their E6500? I get an error that I have to do a software update on my TV first, however when I try to do an update online I'm told there are no updates available. My current version is 001017 on the PN51E6500.

Current version firmware for that display is 1012.9. Where are you seeing 1017?

post #290 of 426 Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Where did you guys buy your TV from? I finally found one B&M store that carries it. HEB Plus, its a grocery store. Think Walmart but backwards as far as groceries to other content.
post #291 of 426 Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxm83 View Post

Where did you guys buy your TV from? I finally found one B&M store that carries it. HEB Plus, its a grocery store. Think Walmart but backwards as far as groceries to other content.

Dell, but they currently are only handling the 50 inch.

post #292 of 426 Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Current version firmware for that display is 1012.9. Where are you seeing 1017?

I think I upgraded to that back in June via a USB update. I have a feeling the version that shows online doesn't match the version that shows on the TV. I talked to Samsung support and they confirmed I have the latest update for my TV, but they have no idea why the apps won't work, they suggested contacting the app makers.
post #293 of 426 Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 AM

Somehow my TV has no screws for the stand. Could someone tell me what size screws yours were?
post #294 of 426 Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM

I have had the pn60e6500 for about a week overall think its excellent. Yes it does buzz however this is only noticeable when no audio is playing.

Has anyone had any luck with either Allshare Play or Swipe IT apps? I just about got the former to work after turning on wifi direct. Swipe it just doesn't work. It provides the code I input into my GS III and when I swipe the TV tries to get the image but to no avail. I have tried with various images and video clips. I just updated the firmware via usb to the latest one 1022.2 (Nov 9) from the samsung website. I also haven't been able to get allshare control to work. I dunno if I am doing something wrong.

I have yet to try any of the calibrated settings as I wanted to wait for the break in period. Played Halo 4 on it and it looks amazing. Even the 2d to 3d works decently well. Very happy so far.
post #295 of 426 Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM

I just bought mine from amazon for $1050 used-like new. Hopefully it will all be good. I got the 1yr open box warranty from square trade. They have 5 more at that price FYI.
post #296 of 426 Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Could anyone educate me, whether there are any differences in panel technology / picture quality between 50" 6500 vs larger sizes? I saw multiple mentions on one popular Russian forum that 50" has significantly worse blacks and should be avoided.
post #297 of 426 Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM

I've read a few times that the 60 inch 6500 has better blacks than the 51 inch 6500. But it's lot more expensive at the moment.
post #298 of 426 Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM

update:
So a day or two after my previous post the TV started exhibiting white lines streaking across the screen. First noticed this during Xbox use over component. Thought it was a source problem but then started getting the same issues on cable box via HDMI. I tried all sorts of things, removing the surge protector, trying a different power strip. Even factory reset the tv which resulted in a temporary (coincidental?) fix. However the lines came back. Note the lines only appeared on inputs, all of them both hdmi and components and were never present in the smart hub.

I thought perhaps its interference from cabling in the wall as I have 3 hdmi, 1 component, 2 speaker and ethernet wire going through a wall plate. Powered off all components, connected tv directly to wall and used a different hdmi wire to connect laptop to tv (bypassing wall). Same problem. I gave up and called amazon and a replacement was delivered today. Haven't got everything setup but so far no issues. Do note however I didn't have the white lines all the time previously so its gonna be a wait and see.

Also, again this could have just been a coincidence but on the original tv I never had problems prior to updating the firmware via usb to 1022. I dunno if that was an issue or if anyone has had similar problems with that firmware. I am going to hold off updating for a bit and wait and ensure no problems arise in next few days.
post #299 of 426 Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM

I and other users of this set and some of their LED models has the same issue. It has an issue with a 1080p/60 source. It is a bug caused by SyncPlus. Go into the smart hub, select Sync Plus and not only disable it, make sure you go into tools within the app and uncheck the box in the privacy agreement.

If you do update, in case you have the firmware that had the bug that lo locked you into Dynamic mode, just make sure you disable SyncPlus. That is the issue.

But make sure you uncheck both options or it will enable itself when you power down and on the TV.
post #300 of 426 Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM

I can't find anything called Sync plus on this one, manufacture date Oct 2012.

There is SugarSync but it appears to not do anything. I've no need or intention to connect to the internet with this TV. I have a PC for that. Doubling as a HTPC and HDMI'd to this TV.

But the TV does seem to be stuck in the lowest of the dynamic modes. The brightness drops when I drag a desktop window onto the TV and the buzzing noise increases; changes in pitch and becomes more 'aggressive'.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51e6500 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page