The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE6500 OWNERS THREAD - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 427 Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have toslink cable from soundcard to speakers, but then i need to switch between cables when i want to watch television (2 calbles: one from tv to speakers and second from pc to speakers. I want to avoid it).
Jtm79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 427 Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM

Jusr re-read you post; you're not using a pre-amp with two TOSLink inputs. I was. I just loaned that to a friend who has three SPDIF inputs; TV, BD player, PVR. Remote control is used to select the source and volume. Output goes to amplifiers and speakers. A PC or PS3 could go in there.

Maybe you could use a TV tuner for the PC?

Or get a TOSLink switcher, there might be something like that.
post #363 of 427 Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Either upgrade you AV solution or get something like the following:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

Not sure whats available anymore but the above would be the cheapest most likely...here is a thread for 2007 where someone was looking for the same thing:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/827803/toslink-switch-that-works-automatically
post #364 of 427 Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM

delete.
post #365 of 427 Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

I thought I'd share some pics of my panel getting replaced. I saw that my screen had a dead pixel, I thought I could live with it but it just bugged the hell out of me.

It was interesting replacing the panel you practically get a new display, the bezel, back panel, speakers, IR sensor and video card are the only things that get transplanted to the new panel. In my case he video card alo got replaced due to a loose HDMI connector.

I really need to do the same thing with mine. I have one annoying dead pixel also. I don't see it from far away but just knowing its there for the price I paid for the television annoys the crap out of me.
post #366 of 427 Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Liked: 10
Any way to remove image retention caused by Halo 4 game HUD and armor ability indicator? They show as faded pink when the background is white. I also have bars on the left and right of the screen I believe from 4:3 SD broadcast. I have tried running the slides from the Samsung burnin menu 2 times overnight to reduce it with no lucky.
post #367 of 427 Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srod0803 View Post

Any way to remove image retention caused by Halo 4 game HUD and armor ability indicator? They show as faded pink when the background is white. I also have bars on the left and right of the screen I believe from 4:3 SD broadcast. I have tried running the slides from the Samsung burnin menu 2 times overnight to reduce it with no lucky.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I play a lot of games and watch a lot of 4:3 television on my set and it's not been an issue yet. How much gaming do you do? Is it for several hours at a time?
post #368 of 427 Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseboy View Post

I'm sorry to hear about this. I play a lot of games and watch a lot of 4:3 television on my set and it's not been an issue yet. How much gaming do you do? Is it for several hours at a time?

...And, did you do initial break-in? What about hours on your set..
post #369 of 427 Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:

This happened when I went away for the weekend and my boys recently got their hands on Halo 4. So I'm sure they played it for most of the weekend. I have moved the Xbox to another tv since. I'm surprised it happened so quickly, including the bars from 4:3 broadcast; I don't stretch the image to fill the screen. I only had the tv for about two weeks before this happened.

Could breaking in the tv have reduced this? Is there other slides or images I can play to help fade what I now fear is perm image burn?
post #370 of 427 Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Breaking it in might've helped but who knows. CNET left a static DVD menu screen on overnight with their review model and it didn't have any noticeable burn like the Panasonics did. I'd try to return or exchange it if possible. I know that burn in isn't covered in the warranty but a little BS and stubbornness can go a long way.
post #371 of 427 Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:

CNET left a static DVD menu screen on overnight with their review model and it didn't have any noticeable burn like the Panasonics did.
That's a lot of the reason I bought this TV.

Maybe over one night is OK but not two?
post #372 of 427 Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Any idea how to rid myself of the buzz on my 51" e6500? Its terribly loud. I have the ferrite cores installed.

Also, PQ is awfully disappointing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The blacks look grey.
post #373 of 427 Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM

I've found that putting headphones on mutes it a bit.

Me also, black is grey. I spent over a week changing the settings until I was too bored and frustrated to do it any more.
post #374 of 427 Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaero View Post

Any idea how to rid myself of the buzz on my 51" e6500? Its terribly loud. I have the ferrite cores installed.

Also, PQ is awfully disappointing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. The blacks look grey.

Buzzing, you can always call to see if you can get it fixed\replaced...

As far as picture goes it probably best to post what your current setting are, what you are using as a source (Blu-ray. DVD, Media Player, SD OTA, SD Cable, HD OTA, HD Cable, ect ect ect)....
post #375 of 427 Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

I have the PS51E6500 (UK model) & all of a sudden, I have noticed that when playing movies through an External Hard Drive and USB Stick or via All Share Play, there are now Lip Sync Issues which are driving me nuts! Never happened before & I am at a loss to understand why this issue just decided to surface. My firmware is up to date & I can find no help with Lip Sync problems either in the Manual or on Samsung's UK website & am hoping that some over here might be able to offer help & solutions to fix this!

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!
post #376 of 427 Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM

I've no idea if it'll work with your HDD or USB Stick, but maybe you could try HDMI 1 port and rename it to PC.

That worked for me, I'm using a PC and sending via HDMI to port1. There was a 1 to 2 second delay on other setting and even on 'Game' it was rubbish at a few tenths or so. Luckily I knew about the renaming trick or I'd have had to get rid of this telly on day one of using it.

Bottom line is that I can't afford another brand of 50+ incher, so the buzzing and grey black I have to tolerate. Unless I can find and strip the offending noisy board of it's crap parts and fit adequate quality ones instead. Or maybe the service centre for London area will supply a better board or set of boards if I contact them. But at the moment I only use headphones so it's less of an issue for me.

Edit, I just woke up and realised that of course the USB items won't go into the HDMI port, but I don't know if there is any USB to HDMI adapter for them? But even if there were, the telly is probably only programmed to deal with HDD and USB stick content via the USB?
post #377 of 427 Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian AS View Post

I've no idea if it'll work with your HDD or USB Stick, but maybe you could try HDMI 1 port and rename it to PC.

That worked for me, I'm using a PC and sending via HDMI to port1. There was a 1 to 2 second delay on other setting and even on 'Game' it was rubbish at a few tenths or so. Luckily I knew about the renaming trick or I'd have had to get rid of this telly on day one of using it.

Bottom line is that I can't afford another brand of 50+ incher, so the buzzing and grey black I have to tolerate. Unless I can find and strip the offending noisy board of it's crap parts and fit adequate quality ones instead. Or maybe the service centre for London area will supply a better board or set of boards if I contact them. But at the moment I only use headphones so it's less of an issue for me.

Edit, I just woke up and realised that of course the USB items won't go into the HDMI port, but I don't know if there is any USB to HDMI adapter for them? But even if there were, the telly is probably only programmed to deal with HDD and USB stick content via the USB?

Hi,

Thanks for that - the issue happens via both USB ports on the TV & also happened via All Share Play before it too stopped working. Off air broadcasts seems fine as does content viewed via the YouTube App. I am trying to figure out why this just started to happen for no reason? I am surprised (good for others though I guess), that I seem to be in a minority having Lip-Sync issues! It is bloody annoying!

The TV is extremely picky & variable with both files & external hard drives - it accepts them some times & rejects them at others - will play some but will not play others!

Bazzy!
post #378 of 427 Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 AM

Hi,

a quick question. How big are the differences in picture quality between the 51" and the 60" model? I've read that the 60" has better black levels than the smaller model.

I'm looking for an ~50"-51" plasma and the e6500 seemed really good, as far as image retention and input lag goes. But with the possible buzz and the inferior pic quality when compared to the 60" model, I'm having doubts.
post #379 of 427 Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Alwasy get the biggest TV taht you can afford thatt meets the quality that you want...If 50-51" possibly 55 is all you can fit then look for Tvs in that range, if you can fit 60" then get the 60 99.95% of the time you will always be happier with the bigge set ;-)....

It is said though that the bigger Samsung Plasmas do offer a PQ upgrade the only one who can determine if it is worth the cost\size is you though....
post #380 of 427 Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM

YMMV, but to my eye the 51" has a stunning picture with a viewing distance of about 12-14 feet. I know most people feel bigger is better, but I don't buy that. Bigger screen means bigger pixels, which equals softer resolution. Obviously the viewing distance determines it, but for me, 60 would be too big, and even if the PQ is better, it would not be worth the premium you'll pay. Size isn't everything!
post #381 of 427 Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the reply bustamelon and Ph8te! As my viewing distance is only about 12-14 feet, and the pricebump would be about 600€ (from the 51" to the 60") I'm having a hard time justifying the expense, although my heart is going "go for the big one!" as usual smile.gif
post #382 of 427 Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renhoelder View Post

Thanks for the reply bustamelon and Ph8te! As my viewing distance is only about 12-14 feet, and the pricebump would be about 600€ (from the 51" to the 60") I'm having a hard time justifying the expense, although my heart is going "go for the big one!" as usual smile.gif

At 12-14 Feet IMO the 60 would serve you well.....Heck you could go bigger and be OK..........As the previous poster mentioned htough its alll personal preference and some of it has to do with Space available and decor.....Unless you are relaly close I dont think you will notice the pixels on the TV or get a "softer" image when viewing 1080p content.....The rub is with a larger TV the SD\DVD content WILL look softer and the faults of movies\shows and source material will show more....Ive had a TV bigger than 60" for more than 7 years now so I guess Ive gotten used to things,some of it is how well the TV does with those osurces though......Personally though I like to be "immersed" when watching a movie and at 12=14' I think 50" would jsut be too small....
post #383 of 427 Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM

I used to have a 52" TV and I'm so glad that I went with 60". And I definitely would have bought a 65" TV if it was available in this model. If you were watching 720p programing the resolution would only get soft if you were sitting closer than 10 feet. So your argument is invalid unless you plan to watch SD content exclusively.
post #384 of 427 Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM

Well, naturally I assumed that my OPINION would automatically be attacked with phrases like "your argument is invalid," so I was careful to preface it with YMMV (your mileage may vary). Bigger dots make for softer resolution. Period. If you like a bigger screen and feel that it somehow compensates for shortcomings elsewhere, that's your prerogative.
post #385 of 427 Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Nope. Unless you're a talking eagle those dots are imperceptible at 12-14 feet. Period.
post #386 of 427 Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian AS View Post

Me also, black is grey. I spent over a week changing the settings until I was too bored and frustrated to do it any more.

I got this TV a few months ago and have yet to find stunning black levels. Maybe my expectations were too high for plasma ( my first one) but I thought it'd look similar to when the screen is off.
post #387 of 427 Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 AM

This television doesn't get anywhere near that black but I don't think any of the reviews implied that either. It just has a much higher contrast than most flatscreen TVs.
post #388 of 427 Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:

This television doesn't get anywhere near that black but I don't think any of the reviews implied that either. It just has a much higher contrast than most flatscreen TVs.

Ah ok. Does the st50 get that dark?
post #389 of 427 Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by expergo View Post

Ah ok. Does the st50 get that dark?
I don't think anything gets that dark, yet. I believe there's a sticky up top about the Zero Black [0.0000 minimum luminance level] holy grail.

It's frustrating but I think plasma's biggest problem is the way it's marketed. Unless you do a ton of research before buying, you've no way to know what to expect frown.gif

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #390 of 427 Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

get some bias lighting, it helps your eyes perception of black levels, making them appear darker. I use the Antec HDTV bias lighting kit, just stick it on the back of your TV and plug the cable to one of the USB ports and you're set.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51e6500 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page