Advertisement

post #92 of 426 Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_D View Post

Hope someone could help me out here as there isn't alot of info on the E6500; does it have a built in microphone? I'm not crazy about a TV with integrated WiFi AND microphone

and just making sure, it doesn't include a camera either, correct?

No mic or cam but God can see you doing that.
post #93 of 426 Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamhd View Post

I thought I would throw my thoughts out on the 6500. I am new to plasma but have been following forum for couple months now. I am no pro and am not a lover/hater of any brand. I bought the Panasonic P60ST50 but am having a hard time with it so bought the Samsung 6500

I have had the Samsung PN60E6500 for a week now. Did 4 days of panel prep and have just started watching it.

1. I have no buzzing (or it's low enough I can't hear it). I have been listening for it as I have read about Samsung and the issues with buzzing. Thats good news.

2. I am really enjoying most of the PQ compared to the P60ST50 sitting right next to it. I can't get comfortable with the darkness/grayness of the Panasonic. I am continually trying to tweak settings that work for me. I do notice that the dark detail is slightly better on the ST50 but Sammy seems to have a little more color and brightness that my untrained eye enjoys (not blinding LCD brightness). This goes against 99% of the reviews for the ST50 - frustrating

3. Samsung looks sleek. Love the edge and way the screen melts into it.

4. Reflection is pretty nice on the 6500, better than the 550 I had for a short period of time in the same room. I have sliding glass doors in the back of my den with blinds closed and the reflection is there until you turn TV on picture looks great. The ST appears to have a better anti-reflection system but when watching it, the Sammy doesn't have an issue.

5. My only issue (hopefully stays this way) with the 6500 is that Netflix will not play... I goto into Smarthub, launch it and it appears to start then get a generic message saying can not access Netflix. Other apps work (Hulu, YouTube etc) and I have used both wireless and wired. Samsung says call netflix, netflix says call Samsung. Arrggh. Netflix says if i am seeing the message, I am connecting to them, it's a problem on the TV and the app configuration. Netflix is big for my house so this will cause me to exchange. It streams from other devices onto tv (xbox, BR) but I would refer to use just 1 device. Anyone encounter issues with Samsung and netflix like this? ******UPDATED**** 05/09/12 - Netflix works - I reset my router (ASUS RT-N66U), changed my wireless password and name, then reconnected the TV to wireless and Netflix worked.

Thanks for the info! I was specifically looking for a comparison between these two models.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Can you please advise how good or bad the burn-in / image retention is on these two models? which one is better?
  • Do you have any idea about how the reflection is in a normally lit room with overhead lighting? and side windows during the during?
Thanks.
post #94 of 426 Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtilldead View Post

Thanks for the info! I was specifically looking for a comparison between these two models.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Can you please advise how good or bad the burn-in / image retention is on these two models? which one is better?
  • Do you have any idea about how the reflection is in a normally lit room with overhead lighting? and side windows during the during?
Thanks.

I have had no image retention/burn in on either TV. I didn’t have the ST50 long enough to really gauge however. I do not watch something for 8 hours straight or game the day away. On the E6500, we played Call of Duty for a few hours - no issue. My kid left the DVR paused for few hours - no issue. I am just careful. My E7000 – I would say the same. No issues

In my den I have 2 sliding doors to the rear of the room which are directly opposite of the TV - about 25 feet away. It gets morning light. The sliders have built in blinds which I keep closed. If I didn’t have the blinds, I would maybe consider drapes. With TV off, seems very reflective imo. Once I turn it one, picture masks the reflection well and I seldom have any issue. About 4 feet from the tv on the ceiling I have a fan and light. Same thing, when the TV is on, looks fine. on the left front of TV (TV mounted kitty corner) there is a window that I keep open and it doesnt affect anything

I am coming from LCD world so have no other plasmas to compare to. The ST50 was much better in my opinion on the anti-reflective quality when off. But, when they are on and I am viewing, I am fine with both the 6500 and ST50. Another note - the E7000 is the same as the E6500 in this regard.

If I had to choose again and had some more windows and areas of concern, I would still choose the 6500/7000 and just address the possible reflections.
post #95 of 426 Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I have had no image retention/burn in on either TV. I didn't have the ST50 long enough to really gauge however. I do not watch something for 8 hours straight or game the day away. On the E6500, we played Call of Duty for a few hours - no issue. My kid left the DVR paused for few hours - no issue. I am just careful. My E7000 - I would say the same. No issues

In my den I have 2 sliding doors to the rear of the room which are directly opposite of the TV - about 25 feet away. It gets morning light. The sliders have built in blinds which I keep closed. If I didn't have the blinds, I would maybe consider drapes. With TV off, seems very reflective imo. Once I turn it one, picture masks the reflection well and I seldom have any issue. About 4 feet from the tv on the ceiling I have a fan and light. Same thing, when the TV is on, looks fine. on the left front of TV (TV mounted kitty corner) there is a window that I keep open and it doesnt affect anything

I am coming from LCD world so have no other plasmas to compare to. The ST50 was much better in my opinion on the anti-reflective quality when off. But, when they are on and I am viewing, I am fine with both the 6500 and ST50. Another note - the E7000 is the same as the E6500 in this regard.

If I had to choose again and had some more windows and areas of concern, I would still choose the 6500/7000 and just address the possible reflections.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Can I ask why you replaced the ST50? Was there any specific reason? considering the ST50 is receiving great reviews.
post #96 of 426 Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtilldead View Post

Thanks for the detailed response!

Can I ask why you replaced the ST50? Was there any specific reason? considering the ST50 is receiving great reviews.

PM sent to keep the forum from this vs. that. I think thats appropriate
post #97 of 426 Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hello,

Can you explain the reason to me too please ?

I hesitate between E6500 and ST50 so that's very important to me.

Thanks in advance.
post #98 of 426 Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 AM

@jmamhd

How would you compare the E7000 and E6500 PQ wise? Any difference?

Thanks
post #99 of 426 Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM

how many owners listen Buzz?
post #100 of 426 Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2012 View Post

@jmamhd

How would you compare the E7000 and E6500 PQ wise? Any difference?

Thanks

I have been away so sorry for delay.

I think that the PQ is the same between the 6500 and 7000. I believe it's the same panel and technology. What I have read is that basically the E7000 has the dual core processor, DNSe, and ultra-thin design as the E6500 doesn't. None of those are significant in my opinion if you are looking for some $$ savings and can find a good deal on the E6500 over E7000, however, I see that today there is only $100 difference between the 2 sets.

I do like the 7000 dual core when using smarthub as it seems faster when navigating around. I do not use hardly anything more than Netflix though. The E8000, with the mic and skype and gesture stuff (not needed at all by me) has a "Clear Image Panel" which isn't listed with the 6500/7000. I cannot seem to find what that really was so didn't warrant the extra $400 at the time.
post #101 of 426 Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 AM

hi jmamhd, thanks for the reply.

I don't have the E7000 option in Europe, but since the general perception is that E8000 = E7000 PQ wise, I was hoping to add the E6500 to that equation.

Especially with regards to video processing there might be a difference, but I don't know if you've noticed any (maybe on SD material)?

According to Samsungs European websites both the E8000 and E6500 have Clear Image Panel.
post #102 of 426 Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2012 View Post

hi jmamhd, thanks for the reply.

I don't have the E7000 option in Europe, but since the general perception is that E8000 = E7000 PQ wise, I was hoping to add the E6500 to that equation.

Especially with regards to video processing there might be a difference, but I don't know if you've noticed any (maybe on SD material)?

According to Samsungs European websites both the E8000 and E6500 have Clear Image Panel.

I do not notice a difference in PQ with the dual core processor. I am not saying that there isnt (I am not qualified to) but both appear great. I had the same question and saw a few on the forum say it didnt affect it and 1 or 2 say that it possible did. The E8000 has too many add-on gadgets for me driving the cost up to not go with. If I had to go with the 6500 or 8000 because of cost/benefit - hands done = 6500. Thats just me though
post #103 of 426 Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I do not notice a difference in PQ with the dual core processor. I am not saying that there isnt (I am not qualified to) but both appear great. I had the same question and saw a few on the forum say it didnt affect it and 1 or 2 say that it possible did. The E8000 has too many add-on gadgets for me driving the cost up to not go with. If I had to go with the 6500 or 8000 because of cost/benefit - hands done = 6500. Thats just me though

Same conclusion here. Thanks for your help
post #104 of 426 Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM

This thread is still pretty quiet... Can't decide if thats good or Bad ... Lol
post #105 of 426 Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Ok. My first post ever after years of lurking.

My 60e6500 arrived today. A friend helped me set it up and finally it was time to turn the power on. Unfortunally the first thing my friend said was
"Should it really sound like that?".

I knew that Samsung had some history with buzzing but I've been so happy with my 42q97 so I figured that it really shouldn't be a problem. But this is impossible to ignore and you can hear it even over high volume.

The buzzing seems to be loudest right in front of the tv and fade if you move to the sides. Actually had a sigh of relief powering off the set. This one is going back to the shop. Oh, the PQ was great though but I only had it running for a few hours while trying to ignore the problem.

Not sure if I dare to go for a replacement or if I should switch over to the Panasonic-camp. Why can't buying televisions be easy?
post #106 of 426 Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfnys View Post

Ok. My first post ever after years of lurking.

My 60e6500 arrived today. A friend helped me set it up and finally it was time to turn the power on. Unfortunally the first thing my friend said was
"Should it really sound like that?".

I knew that Samsung had some history with buzzing but I've been so happy with my 42q97 so I figured that it really shouldn't be a problem. But this is impossible to ignore and you can hear it even over high volume.

The buzzing seems to be loudest right in front of the tv and fade if you move to the sides. Actually had a sigh of relief powering off the set. This one is going back to the shop. Oh, the PQ was great though but I only had it running for a few hours while trying to ignore the problem.

Not sure if I dare to go for a replacement or if I should switch over to the Panasonic-camp. Why can't buying televisions be easy?

Sorry to hear about the buzz. From what I have read here and on the 7000/8000 forum, some have a louder buzz that is noticeable and maybe a defect in the TV. Most plasma owners say they all have a "buzz" which is tolerable. Both my E6500 and E7000 do not have noticeable buzz. I would try to exchange it. I have no favorite camp but for my eyes, the Samsung picture was better for me than the Panasonic - even though I wanted to love the Panny.
post #107 of 426 Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 AM

Liked: 11

Can someone please check if You can play MKV movies from external hard drive connected through USB port, with DTS 5.1 sound on external speakers (with its' own decoder, i.e. Logitech Z-5500). Can You get full surround sound or the sound is beeing cut to stereo?

For me this is crucial feature as i don't want to power on my PC just to send full surround DTS sound to speakers and video to plasma. I want my new plasma to do all of this stuff. I still hesitate whether to go for PS51E6500 (european name of the set) or Panasonic ST50.

I think multimedia should be better on Samsung (or is it?). What is the input lag on Sammy? Can I play pc games without trouble?

post #108 of 426 Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Cnet have reviewed 60E6500 and the results are very interesting and mixed :O

So it mees like E6500 is inferior on sd-material compared to E8000. Daylight usage however is better, but 3D is worse. Pretty weird since they are supposed to have same panel and same filter, it was expected that E8000 have better scaling though. Maybe the dualcore prosessor also affects for 3d.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60e6500/4505-6482_7-35159642.html
post #109 of 426 Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM

Unfortunately i didn't get any answers from this review to my questions posted above frown.gif Generally i have pretty bright lit room so Panasonic St50 should be better then Samsung as it's brighter (as far as the cnet reviewer says) and have better contrast. Still don't know about DTS 5.1 in panasonic and samsung and input lag of the latter.
post #110 of 426 Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 PM

Anybody have some settings to recommend for watching NBA tonight in a dark room? I've been working too much to calibrate. Just looking for a quick improvement from stock.
post #111 of 426 Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 PM

Used these:
(URL removed. It was from plasma tv buying guide.)
Looked great!
Just trying to get it to play an iso from USB now. No luck. frown.gif
post #112 of 426 Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamhd View Post

It's appropriate to discuss this, thats the purpose of reading these to see others opinions!
post #113 of 426 Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 AM

FYI, there's a firmware upgrade out for the E6500 as of June 7th. You can update it via the internet directly through your TV or download it from Samsung's webpage onto a USB device if you don't have internet on your TV.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/PN51E6500EFXZA

From Samsung:
Quote:
1.This firmware is for TV Model(s): PDP 5' E550, E6500
2.The version is 1019
3.This firmware update will improve the following:- Prevents a potential issue - Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. - Improves picture quality.
post #114 of 426 Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM

With the 3d glasses this comes with seems like a good value prop. Cnet says that it goes neck and neck with the St50, and this Tv also has an extra inch whe compared to the 50 St50. Will I be able to notice any difference between the two. Just really comfused on what to buy. Has anyone here seen both in action to get a good comparison?
post #115 of 426 Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Humm. mine is showing version 001012. when i tried to update the firmware it said no new version are available..I'll try again tomorrow. Every firmware update I've ever done that stated it improves picture quality..has never, as far as I can tell, improved picture quality.....

post #116 of 426 Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

It's appropriate to discuss this, thats the purpose of reading these to see others opinions!

Yes I want to read your opinion as well.
post #117 of 426 Old 06-20-2012, 05:33 PM

The Decision. It seems like this and the ST50 are the best value for money around. I have yet to decide on what to get, but will definitely be between the 50ST50 and the PN51E6500. I get so many confusing reviews that its hard to make a choice. I really need to know why I should get the Samsung over the ST50. Please I need more feedback from actual owners of the Samsung, who also considered the ST50. Thanks
post #118 of 426 Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Hey guys, is the 6500 really that much better than the 550? The difference in price is only $200, but I'm wondering just how different the 6500 over the 550. Thanks for any insight!!
post #119 of 426 Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7c View Post

Hey guys, is the 6500 really that much better than the 550? The difference in price is only $200, but I'm wondering just how different the 6500 over the 550. Thanks for any insight!!
The main difference between the two is the anti-glare filter, other than that I don't really know. FWIW, the two models share the same firmware but I don't know how much that translates over into picture quality. I have the 51E550 and even with what I assume are the usual higher black levels on 50/51" Samsung panels I'm still overall pretty happy with it.

For me it came down to aesthetic design. I don't mount my TVs, I prefer using the base stands and I simply CANNOT tolerate those ugly Samsung claw stands. I still don't understand what Samsung is thinking with these things; keep that tacky, phony-futuristic junk for the LED crowd, I prefer a more mature-looking traditional style for plasmas.

I will say that if it wasn't for the claw stand, I probably would've gone for the E6500, but like I said I'm pretty pleased with the E550 (and I watch in darkness with the lights off).
post #120 of 426 Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamhd View Post

A few people wanted to know this I see so here it is. I was reading some much of the forums for awhile it was starting to look like a Samasung vs Panasonic fanboy thing going.

I originally replaced the ST because I did not think that the picture was as clean as the Samasungs (6500/7000) when running regular HD from my Time Warner box. It was almost a dirty screen effect that was unbearable with my signal. I had TW come out an improved it somewhat but think that the Sammy was better. I adjusted it many ways and got it alot better but think that the Samsung was much easier to get right (for my eys). Blu-rays - both great. The darks in the Panasonic are unreal IMHO, but Samsung is right there. The main issue I have with Samsung right now is the input lag when I play Call of Duty MW3. This is in the forums in a couple discussions and after playing - its so much better on the Panasonic. Luckily I have family members that needed new TV's so I have been able to try a few and keep what works best for me. Samsung 7000 (kid and wife upstairs and me occasionally) and Panasonic 50 for me in my den where i game and watch blu-rays.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51e6500 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page