post #181 of 426 Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOuK-3- View Post

OK, a quick update, brightness is now at 45 ... My AV receiver is causing this ... I have a new Samsung BD-E5900 3D Bluray connected directly in the TV and everything is fine smile.gif
Thanks.

Good news smile.gif Glad I could help

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 426 Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

I go thru the AVR anyway. I was hoping to take advantage of standby passthru, which I do for WAF purposes, but the ARC issue still exists, where the audio input switches from the AVR to the TV after the TV comes on, and you have to toggle it to get it back. Not a dealbreaker, but a PITA for sure.
Just wondering if the ARC issue is connected to Anynet+. I don't own the TV yet, but perhaps turning off Anynet+ might resolve the problem - just a hunch.
post #183 of 426 Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Liked: 11
Have had the PN60E6500 plasma for a week now - picture quality is amazing ! I have never seen a plasma picture this bright and whites that actually look white ! Anti- Screen reflection is very good. Have it in a bright living room and day and night viewing are both excellent. No IR. Played MW3 and its much better in in terms of lag and blur that I had with my LG LED. Video games are enjoyable again !

Sports are fantastic on this set, no banding or blur, etc. One of the reason why I chose this set over ST60 or VT65.

That being said - the TV I have does buzz. Its like a low pitched Buzzing Fluorescent Light... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzjOsLJyeGs

The buzz is coming from the front panel of the tv, back seems quiet and rarely hears fan noise.

I can hear the buzz under low and medium volume speaker volume ( using external speakers or using tv speakers) , I can drown out the buzz only if I turn the volume way up ( lower than -23 db on my receiver). However, even under high volume you can hear the buzz when there are silent scenes in the movie or peoples are talking quietly in a scene, etc.

Not sure if I should return this set, call Samsung to see if they can fix this buzzing issue or try something else.

This set is so close to perfect, cant understand why Samsung cant make a plasma that doesn't buzz.
post #184 of 426 Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Concerning the buzzing with these sets. Are you folks who are experiencing buzzing plugging your sets DIRECTLY TO A WALL OUTLET. Have you tried using a POWER CONDITIONER???

Just a thought.

Just pulled the trigger on a 60 incher myself...and a little worried on the buzzing thing. Fingers crossed, toes too....lol
post #185 of 426 Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Goodridge View Post

Concerning the buzzing with these sets. Are you folks who are experiencing buzzing plugging your sets DIRECTLY TO A WALL OUTLET. Have you tried using a POWER CONDITIONER???
Just a thought.
Just pulled the trigger on a 60 incher myself...and a little worried on the buzzing thing. Fingers crossed, toes too....lol

no- just a power strip. I actually unplugged everything and only had the tv plugged in and it still buzzed. Just turning on the TV, no hdmi attached, no cable attached, just a black screen and you can hear that buzz from the front panel. As a matter of fact, you can swivel the tv and buzz moves in that direction. Not sure why this occurs, but if you are sitting away from the tv and you turn your head 90 degrees to front of the tv, so that either your left or right ear is facing the screen, you can hear the buzz more.

One thing I did notice tonight is hockey doesn't play very well on this tv - it does this flashing very few seconds as the action moves. however, the ice does look white and the action is smooth. I'm not a big hockey fan,so I don't care. I think all plasma tvs do this as I saw a youtube video of a ST50 doing it too. I did watch Planet Earth on this TV and it looked amazing. Snow and polar bear scenes were perfect. No Flashing Brightness, etc. I do watch alot of football, baseball, basketball and soccer. So far with football and baseball the picture quality is amazing. most importantly- motion is clean and there is no dirty screen affect, banding, or blur that I was accustom to with my LED tv and read other plasma ( e.g. ST50,VT50) had.

I called samsung tonight and they told me its normal for plasma tvs to make a buzzing sound. it did say this in the manual, but wanted to see what samsung tech support would say. What I found a bit surprising is even though I am under warranty, if they deem the issue is normal and samsung does a in home visit, I would be charged $50 service fee. The agent finally said that if I could hear the buzz 15 feet away than it would be considered a problem. How they came up with this number is something I need to research, but my guess is that is the recommended viewing distance for a 60" plasma. my room is only 10 by 10, and I sit about 7 feet from the TV so I can't test this out. I wonder if people who don't hear this buzz have the tv placed in a large living room area with high ceilings, etc. given the fact the buzz is directional and coming from the front panel, i wonder if wall mounting would help ?

this all being said - call me crazy but I am kinda getting used to the buzz or atleast trying. LOL To put this in perspective, the buzz is about the same noise level my ps3 makes. Initially I was upset and ready to return it because I wanted the prefect tv, but trying to find a replacement is even worse. I don't want motion blur, need a wide viewing angle, want minimal input lag so playing video games is fun, and want a TV that reproduces colors correctly ( i.e. snow is white, grass looks like grass, ice is white, skin tones are normal like a real person, etc). Most importantly want a TV that isn't prone to image retention or screen burn. As you already know finding such a tv is impossible and includes trade offs. In my opinion this TV is the only I've seen and others have tested and reviewed that passes these criteria for me. If it wasn't for the buzzing it would be perfect. But I think I'd rather have a faint buzz than a logo burned into my screen every time I watch TV or sports.

will update everyone on the buzzing after a few more weeks of use, hoping that maybe it will become less noticeable with age ?
post #186 of 426 Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks. Will let you know how mine goes once it arrives in 10 days or so.
post #187 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 AM

How's the 24Hz content playing? Is it smooth or jerky? How are mkv and avi files looking on the set?
post #188 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 AM

Well, my 60 inch e6500 just got delivered over the weekend smile.gif

I have to say, so far, I am loving the set very much! I am waiting until I have around 100 to 200 hours on it before I start the calibration process. I do have a fee questions though. One, I use my PS3 as my BD player, so I was wondering what the optional way to set up the display settings on my PS3 and TV would be. I previously had a 32 inch Samsung LCD, and is set has way ore fine tuning options. I'm not looking for calibration settings since I know it's silly to copy and paste settings, but more so with some of the other options. For example, I notice that in movie mode on my TV, HDMI black level is greyed out, and the Cinema Smooth mode is greyed out, the latter for BD playback.

How do I go about this? Also, should black level be at low or normal when using my PS3 for my BD viewing, any help would be appreciated.
post #189 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granger2007 View Post

Just wondering if the ARC issue is connected to Anynet+. I don't own the TV yet, but perhaps turning off Anynet+ might resolve the problem - just a hunch.
I think Anynet+ is in fact what's causing the problem. But as I understand it, it's required in order to achieve what I am after -- which is:

1) to allow audio to pass through the AVR on standby when I don't want full-blown surround, and
2) to allow the audio to return back to the AVR from the TV when using SmartHub content

... but, I could be wrong. I'll try turning it off and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not even sure if this issue is actually considered an issue. Maybe it's doing what it's supposed to do, but it's super annoying to have to hit another button to get sound back every time I turn the set on in surround mode.
post #190 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majki84 View Post

How's the 24Hz content playing? Is it smooth or jerky? How are mkv and avi files looking on the set?
I've tried to A/B Cinema Smooth a few times and I see very little difference. It's tricky to tell because you have to dig thru the menu a little to do the switch. You can see a little picture in the background while switching, but not enough to really get an idea. To my eye, I don't see any choppiness with it on, but it doesn't necessarily look any "smoother" either. No noticeable difference in black levels between the two.

As for MKV/AVI content, that's my primary source for 24p. Zero issues. Everything looks stunning to me. But I'm not using the built-in DLNA client for that. I have a standalone HTPC for streaming. This probably doesn't help you huh.
post #191 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Set if fabulous. Had it a week now. PQ, blacks and whites are awesome. Trying to figure out how my Sony BD surround keeps taking over with the Anynet+. That is a bit annoying.

No problems with the "BUZZ". Have not heard it or anything like it. The only buzz I can get is if I turn the volume way low and put my ear to the set. Other than that no buzz. smile.gif
post #192 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Set if fabulous. Had it a week now. PQ, blacks and whites are awesome. Trying to figure out how my Sony BD surround keeps taking over with the Anynet+. That is a bit annoying.

No problems with the "BUZZ". Have not heard it or anything like it. The only buzz I can get is if I turn the volume way low and put my ear to the set. Other than that no buzz. smile.gif
post #193 of 426 Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granger2007 View Post

Quote:

I think Anynet+ is in fact what's causing the problem. But as I understand it, it's required in order to achieve what I am after -- which is:
1) to allow audio to pass through the AVR on standby when I don't want full-blown surround, and
2) to allow the audio to return back to the AVR from the TV when using SmartHub content
... but, I could be wrong. I'll try turning it off and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not even sure if this issue is actually considered an issue. Maybe it's doing what it's supposed to do, but it's super annoying to have to hit another button to get sound back every time I turn the set on in surround mode.
So I switched Anynet off. Pros and cons. Standby passthru still works. And I no longer have to switch the audio every time I turn on the TV. Now, I only have to switch it if I'm watching Smarthub content, which is better for me, since I don't realistically see myself using it that often. So still not perfect, but better. Thanks for the tip, again!
post #194 of 426 Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:

I've tried to A/B Cinema Smooth a few times and I see very little difference. It's tricky to tell because you have to dig thru the menu a little to do the switch. You can see a little picture in the background while switching, but not enough to really get an idea. To my eye, I don't see any choppiness with it on, but it doesn't necessarily look any "smoother" either. No noticeable difference in black levels between the two.
As for MKV/AVI content, that's my primary source for 24p. Zero issues. Everything looks stunning to me. But I'm not using the built-in DLNA client for that. I have a standalone HTPC for streaming. This probably doesn't help you huh.
No, it helped smile.gif MY main source of movies would be external HDD and PC (you can call it sort of HTPC as it's ultra quiet, powerfull with decent sound and graphics).
post #195 of 426 Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:

So I switched Anynet off. Pros and cons. Standby passthru still works. And I no longer have to switch the audio every time I turn on the TV. Now, I only have to switch it if I'm watching Smarthub content, which is better for me, since I don't realistically see myself using it that often. So still not perfect, but better. Thanks for the tip, again!
No problem - I'm glad there was an improvement.
post #196 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 AM

Saw that firmware 1020 was release this morning... I have done the update and it's still showing 1019 after the download + update... Weird?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
post #197 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Saw that firmware 1020 was release this morning... I have done the update and it's still showing 1019 after the download + update... Weird?
Where do you see this? Samsung support site shows only version 1012.9, 6/7/12
post #198 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Where do you see this? Samsung support site shows only version 1012.9, 6/7/12

For the PN60E6500 --> http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/PN60E6500EFXZC-downloads version 1020.1
post #199 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 341
when talking about updates its probably best to say where you are, as this is a international board. The update above is for canadian sets it looks like....
post #200 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

when talking about updates its probably best to say where you are, as this is a international board. The update above is for canadian sets it looks like....

Oups, yes I'm from Canada... Sorry

post #201 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

For the PN60E6500 --> http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/PN60E6500EFXZC-downloads version 1020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Thanks to both. I also have the 51", dunno if the updates apply to all sizes.
post #202 of 426 Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Liked: 18
pn60e6500 from the states. Just updated firmware to 001020.
post #203 of 426 Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Odd. 51" still on v. 1012 from June. I'm not having any issues anyway, so no worries. Just curious. Seems weird that one would have issues the other didn't.
post #204 of 426 Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 AM

quick update- returned e6500 because i could not stand the buzzing noise. i did recieve a replacemen and the buzzing noise is a bit less but still present. However, i noticed the screen is much more reflective than my previous set. Anyone know why this could be the case?
post #205 of 426 Old 09-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Someone know how to get the screen on time? Is it possible to go in service menu? Without touching anything... I just want to get the screen time :-)

Thanks

post #206 of 426 Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Someone know how to get the screen on time? Is it possible to go in service menu? Without touching anything... I just want to get the screen time :-)
Thanks

This definitely works with the E series:

1. With the TV on, input this key sequence: MUTE, 7, 3, 7, ENTER
2. A menu will be displayed, do NOT press any more buttons.
3. Your panel's run time (in hours) is the "MRT" value.
4. Press power on the remote, the TV will turn off. The TV is now back to normal and may be turned on again.

(provided initially from this post) http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426719/samsung-plasma-did-i-purchase-a-new-or-refurbished-set/0_60#post_22360050
post #207 of 426 Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Quote:

Thanks

This definitely works with the E series:

1. With the TV on, input this key sequence: MUTE, 7, 3, 7, ENTER
2. A menu will be displayed, do NOT press any more buttons.
3. Your panel's run time (in hours) is the "MRT" value.
4. Press power on the remote, the TV will turn off. The TV is now back to normal and may be turned on again.

(provided initially from this post) http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426719/samsung-plasma-did-i-purchase-a-new-or-refurbished-set/0_60#post_22360050

post #208 of 426 Old 09-22-2012, 07:37 PM

My set had an MRT of 8 hours when I checked after unboxing and setting it up. Is that normal?
post #209 of 426 Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM

How big is the buzzing sound on your set? I have the PN60E6500 Plasma and I can ear the buzz sound at 10 feet with normal sound ... Looks like it's on "dark" scene that I ear it the most... I'm not sure anymore what "normal" buzz sound is ... LOL

set is at 188 hours

Thanks for the info !
post #210 of 426 Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclix View Post

My set had an MRT of 8 hours when I checked after unboxing and setting it up. Is that normal?

Maybe it's some "internal" testing before boxing the tv set ... Internal panel test when assembling it?!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51e6500 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page