Returning my week-old LED LCD ND8000 today... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, the delivery guy literally just picked up my Samsung LED LCD UN55D8000. I had a Samsung plasma for years and thought my wife would like the much thinner screen and silver set, but, after days of tweaking, I just couldn't take the picture issues (glows in the corners, on the edges, etc).

I should have just listened to my gut and went with a new plasma screen. I am basically waiting to make sure my return goes through properly and am thinking about either getting the 51" 2011 Samsung plasma or waiting until the 2012 Samsung and Panasonic sets come out.

When it's THIS close to the new models, any thoughts on the relative merits of going with the latest model 2011 (for me, the Samsung PN51D8000) or just going with the newer ones? I have done a fair amount of research, and it looks like the Panasonic has the slightly better picture quality (the 2011 Samsung's picture is a bit darker, but may be improved in 2012)...or is this all for naught, is everyone basically waiting for the 2012's?

Never been in this position before, with the ones coming out so soon..

anyway, looking forward to the warm (literally) glow of a new plasma soon. It's funny watching a 2007 42" after a week with a 2011 55"...

thanks,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikemomo View Post

So, the delivery guy literally just picked up my Samsung LED LCD UN55D8000. I had a Samsung plasma for years and thought my wife would like the much thinner screen and silver set, but, after days of tweaking, I just couldn't take the picture issues (glows in the corners, on the edges, etc).

I should have just listened to my gut and went with a new plasma screen. I am basically waiting to make sure my return goes through properly and am thinking about either getting the 51" 2011 Samsung plasma or waiting until the 2012 Samsung and Panasonic sets come out.

When it's THIS close to the new models, any thoughts on the relative merits of going with the latest model 2011 (for me, the Samsung PN51D8000) or just going with the newer ones? I have done a fair amount of research, and it looks like the Panasonic has the slightly better picture quality (the 2011 Samsung's picture is a bit darker, but may be improved in 2012)...or is this all for naught, is everyone basically waiting for the 2012's?

Never been in this position before, with the ones coming out so soon..

anyway, looking forward to the warm (literally) glow of a new plasma soon. It's funny watching a 2007 42" after a week with a 2011 55"...

thanks,
mike

Tough choices, I believe the black level on the 51" Samsungs is not as good as on some of the larger models.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
There are two reviews (one is a link and one by Chad further down) for the Panasonic ST50 here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...397245&page=11

and here is another excellent review: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...1203191731.htm

This model seem to be not only a great performer but also the best bang for your buck.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks guys. I know it can be irritating to get such an open-ended question on the forum. This is great, I didn't realize there was a difference with the smaller Samsung screen.

I will check out the reviews right now. awesome. I really appreciate it--my inner ten year old is furious with me for returning the largest TV he's ever owned..

-mike
post #5 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Well then, it sounds like you need to buy a 55" to get over your pain.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

haha--I have a friend on chat urging me to do the same thing. I am basically ready to get the plasma but kind of want to see what the reviews are for the GT50--the ST50 had a great review, I am curious to see what the extra boost is...
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It has been suggested that one's money would be better spent buying the ST50 instead of the GT50 and have it professionally calibrated with the money you save. From what I understand that any increase in pq realized, if any, doesn't justify the cost unless you simply want THX and IMO I'd rather have my set calibrated or calibrate it myself since THX is on the dim side. There are some who thought that they might buy the VT this year but are going for the 65" ST50 instead.

I frequent several forums and this is what I've gather and not quoting anyone in particular. I put off buying last year because none of the sets were worth me upgrading. This year is definitely different.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

oh, that's very interesting. I from what I have seen, it looks like the difference between the ST50 and the GT50 is that "24,576 Equivalent Steps of Gradation" -- which is, indeed, a lot of steps.

I want to go see the sets, but from what I am reading on the panasonic site, these won't be shipping until April..or May! argh!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Liked: 19
The ST50 is out now. The GT in a few weeks (I hope).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page