Need some help with 64+ inch plasma tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of moving into my first house and I need to buy a few tv's. First tv I'm going to buy is for my tv/family room. I have more than enough room for a 64+ inch tv. I'm pretty much set on getting plasma, my grandparents have a 60inch pioneer elite, and I would buy that tv if there were still being made today.

I have had a few people tell me to just get LED, but I can still see motion blur, even on the new sharp elite models.

The two plasma tv's that keep catching my eye are the Samsung 8000 series, and Panasonic VT30/VT50. Each tv seems to have its own unique issues, but that is going to happen no matter what tv I go with.

Couple questions I have.

1. Is the 2012 Samsung 8000 series worth the extra cost over the 2011 model? I have seen good deals on the older models, but I'm told there is a price fix on the 2012's.

2. The panasonic VT50 seems to be a big improvement over the VT30. What is a realistic release date for this tv?

3. Would you consider these tv's to have better image quality than the older pioneer elite tv's?

4. What other tv's would you consider?

5. Is there a vendor on here that everyone buys from, or could you recommend where to buy.

I do not know much at all about electronics, any help would be great!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGTR View Post

I'm in the process of moving into my first house and I need to buy a few tv's. First tv I'm going to buy is for my tv/family room. I have more than enough room for a 64+ inch tv. I'm pretty much set on getting plasma, my grandparents have a 60inch pioneer elite, and I would buy that tv if there were still being made today.

I have had a few people tell me to just get LED, but I can still see motion blur, even on the new sharp elite models.

The two plasma tv's that keep catching my eye are the Samsung 8000 series, and Panasonic VT30/VT50. Each tv seems to have its own unique issues, but that is going to happen no matter what tv I go with.

Couple questions I have.

1. Is the 2012 Samsung 8000 series worth the extra cost over the 2011 model? I have seen good deals on the older models, but I'm told there is a price fix on the 2012's.

2. The panasonic VT50 seems to be a big improvement over the VT30. What is a realistic release date for this tv?

3. Would you consider these tv's to have better image quality than the older pioneer elite tv's?

4. What other tv's would you consider?

5. Is there a vendor on here that everyone buys from, or could you recommend where to buy.

I do not know much at all about electronics, any help would be great!

Tom

I have had my 65VT30 for 8 months now and I am loving it more and more every day. I had an LG 55LH90 LED/LCD TV before that and I never got used to the motion blur that my TV created. It drove me nuts watching a movie with motion blur. It would totally ruin my movie experience. Don't get me wrong, most people do not pay attention or do not care, but I did and that is why I purchased a plasma. Let me tell you one thing about my 65VT30, I love how fluid the picture is. Honestly, the first time I turned it on and started watching a movie, I almost got motion sickness. The picture is so fluid and so stunning that still, after 8 months of owning it, my jaw drops every time I turn it on.

Honestly, all this talk about issues with the Panasonic plasma's are mostly false. I have never had any of the issues that have been talked about on this forum. Just make sure you buy from a good company and not get a returned item. Make sure it is new and unopened. Some people try and sell a return item as new. Who knows what the previous owner may or may not have done with your $3,000 TV.

I purchased my TV from Video Only here in Portland, Oregon. If there is a store by your house, I would suggest going there. Magnolia Audio/Video is good. If you can find a Best Buy with a Magnolia, I would go there. Again, make sure the box is unopened and not a return. Best Buy is known for that kind of thing.

I would stay away from Samsung. They just settled a class action lawsuit for using poor quality capacitors in their TV's. The Samsung plasma TV get so hot that the screen actually peels away from the TV. The Panasonic 65VT30 is cool to the touch and only uses 110watts of power.

Info about Class action settlement.
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

Info about Samsung screen filter delaminating
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335353
http://www.efytimes.com/e1/72882/fullnews.htm
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...s-peeling-off/

The problem is the screen gets waaaay to hot and the antireflective coating starts to peel. Next time you are at Best Buy, touch one of the plasma TV's and you will see what I am talking about.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #3 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGTR View Post

1. Is the 2012 Samsung 8000 series worth the extra cost over the 2011 model?

You may want to reconsider the 2012 Samsungs, with its privacy issues.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM

@ Tomgtr .... congrats on your new home ... i believe both Panny's and Sammy's are great sets.

@ Joeblow74 ... the Samsung lawsuit you are refering to are NOT the 2012 E series that Mr. Tomgtr is looking to purchase

@ Tomwil ... that Samsung privacy issue is interesting but NOT NEW ... as far as I know, about 99% of Laptops have camera's built in ... what makes the manufactures of those laptops prevent hackers from "watching you" ... we are never alone
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

It seems that everyone likes the Panasonics, but the 2012 model line up is still a few months away from release. I'm moving in a few weeks and don't want to live 3-4 months with no television.

The Samsung 2012 line up is out already, but they are price fixed for this year.

Any online vendors you would suggest?
post #6 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 PM

I would deal with a local vendor such as BB so if you have issues you can exchange fairly easily. BB does match pricing if you find some better deals from authorized dealers. Just my 2 cents....
post #7 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstrein View Post

I would deal with a local vendor such as BB so if you have issues you can exchange fairly easily. BB does match pricing if you find some better deals from authorized dealers. Just my 2 cents....

That's not a bad idea, if there was a problem returning to the store would be much easier.

I will have to talk to them about price matching, but that only works if I go with the Panasonic, as the Samsung is price fixed (or so I'm told).
post #8 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton88 View Post

@ Tomgtr .... congrats on your new home ... i believe both Panny's and Sammy's are great sets.

@ Joeblow74 ... the Samsung lawsuit you are refering to are NOT the 2012 E series that Mr. Tomgtr is looking to purchase

@ Tomwil ... that Samsung privacy issue is interesting but NOT NEW ... as far as I know, about 99% of Laptops have camera's built in ... what makes the manufactures of those laptops prevent hackers from "watching you" ... we are never alone

A voice of reason. As for Samsung prices, BB has the 2012 model on sale for what I paid for last years model.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

A voice of reason. As for Samsung prices, BB has the 2012 model on sale for what I paid for last years model.

I'm going to stop in today and take a look. I was planning on getting 2 led tv's for my other rooms, but the more I read this forum, the more I feel I should get plasma for all the rooms. I just cant deal with motion blur
post #10 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have to be honest I am shying away from Samsung. My 18 month old PN63C8000 is failing. I have a five year old Panasonic plasma that looks as good as the day I bought it. Looking at the entire series of Samsung plasmas on this forum it appears I am far from alone. I'm going back to either Panasonic or Sony and more than likely Panasonic. It don't expect a television to fail 18 months after it is purchased. I was very happy with the Panasonic but I wanted to move up to a 60+ inch television and in 2010 this set and the Panasonic had the best reviews. The Panasonic was almost a thousand dollars more so I went with the Samsung. Lesson learned.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Samsung was already fixing those capacitors before the lawyers got involved (and they got a HUGE payoff for something that was already being fixed).

Samsung fixes every antireflective peeling issue, and it's not a problem anymore.

On the other hand, Panasonic NEVER fixed the 2009 early MLL raising TVs that lost years of picture quality because of a programing glitch.

They NEVER fixed the MLL raising they SAID wasn't going to happen in 2010.

And Panasonic is doing almost nothing to fix the pink/green screen issue seen predominantly in Europe, but also seen in other countries.

And then there's the potential perminant burn in some are seeing on VT30's with a couple thousand hours of use.

Yeah, every Tv has problems. But suggesting that Panasonic is better then Samsung is like saying Chevy trucks are better then Fords or visa/versa.

PS touch the BACK of your Panasonic, it get's hot too. So which do you like better? No Fans or "whiiirrrre" in the panasonics with fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

I have had my 65VT30 for 8 months now and I am loving it more and more every day. I had an LG 55LH90 LED/LCD TV before that and I never got used to the motion blur that my TV created. It drove me nuts watching a movie with motion blur. It would totally ruin my movie experience. Don't get me wrong, most people do not pay attention or do not care, but I did and that is why I purchased a plasma. Let me tell you one thing about my 65VT30, I love how fluid the picture is. Honestly, the first time I turned it on and started watching a movie, I almost got motion sickness. The picture is so fluid and so stunning that still, after 8 months of owning it, my jaw drops every time I turn it on.

Honestly, all this talk about issues with the Panasonic plasma's are mostly false. I have never had any of the issues that have been talked about on this forum. Just make sure you buy from a good company and not get a returned item. Make sure it is new and unopened. Some people try and sell a return item as new. Who knows what the previous owner may or may not have done with your $3,000 TV.

I purchased my TV from Video Only here in Portland, Oregon. If there is a store by your house, I would suggest going there. Magnolia Audio/Video is good. If you can find a Best Buy with a Magnolia, I would go there. Again, make sure the box is unopened and not a return. Best Buy is known for that kind of thing.

I would stay away from Samsung. They just settled a class action lawsuit for using poor quality capacitors in their TV's. The Samsung plasma TV get so hot that the screen actually peels away from the TV. The Panasonic 65VT30 is cool to the touch and only uses 110watts of power.

Info about Class action settlement.
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

Info about Samsung screen filter delaminating
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335353
http://www.efytimes.com/e1/72882/fullnews.htm
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...s-peeling-off/

The problem is the screen gets waaaay to hot and the antireflective coating starts to peel. Next time you are at Best Buy, touch one of the plasma TV's and you will see what I am talking about.

buytme
post #12 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM

AS far as prices the Samsungs are cheaper than Panasonic. The Samsung PN64E8000 can be had for $3299.00 which is $700. less than the comperable 65vt50. All tv's have one issue or another, and panasonic was sued and fought that suit for years for black level rise !!! I suggest that you do NOY LET ANYONE ONE HERE SWAY YOUR DECISION !!! Go out and look at the Samsung E8000 series for yourself. I have the Samsung PN60E8000 and it is amazing !! As far as customer service - ket me just ay that my Samsung PN60E80000 - WAS AN EXCHANGE FOR MY PN59D8000 DUE TO A BD WISE PROBLEM. They gave me no hassle and tried to fix the tv first, when it was still the same they offered money back or exchange. Try that with panasonic , they wouldn't even replace my $125.00 BDT110 BLU RAY PLAYER that was 2 months old !!! Any way, please do not let any one here make your choice for you, make your own choice. This site is great for information and talking about a/v , but NEVER BASE a desicion on what you read here, always look for yourself.

god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #13 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Look just cause some people say this or experience it does not mean they are all kie that. I had my D8000 no problems at all. Like saying all Panasonics will get ir and burn in due to the number of complaints about that last year, or green blobs, or fbr, or white pops , etc..etc... Joeblow, stop trying to push panasonic, they are no better than any other manufacturer regarding manufacturing flaws and faults !!! There all several very reputable online sites to buy from, saving the tax is creat !! they are reliable and most have a return policy. It sounds like joeblow is a sales rep for some a/v store, online sales will save you money and you are protected 1. by a return policy and 2. by the manufacturers warranty. No brick and mortar store can garauntee any tv or make any promise more than an online retailer. JUST THE FACTS !!!

god bless

tonyjd40
post #14 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 PM

OH, Panasonic really does not have full hd 3d as they advertise. see below
SAMSUNG DOES.

BTW, we've updated our TX-P42ST50 review with the world's first in-depth analysis of the 3D display mode. The Panasonic Plasmas are still not achieving Full HD resolution in 3D, unfortunately. Hopefully the GT50 and VT50 do. That doesn't change my recommendation though, because it has the usual strengths of very little crosstalk and we achieved good post-calibration 3D greyscale tracking:

from a reputable proffesional calibrator on another forum.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #15 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Is this at your BB only? Nationally the 2012 Samsung 64" models are not even close to the price of the 2011 models right now. Or did you buy your 2011 when the model was new and cost about $1,000 more than now?
post #16 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

AS far as prices the Samsungs are cheaper than Panasonic. The Samsung PN64E8000 can be had for $3299.00 which is $700. less than the comperable 65vt50. All tv's have one issue or another, and panasonic was sued and fought that suit for years for black level rise !!! I suggest that you do NOY LET ANYONE ONE HERE SWAY YOUR DECISION !!! Go out and look at the Samsung E8000 series for yourself. I have the Samsung PN60E8000 and it is amazing !! As far as customer service - ket me just ay that my Samsung PN60E80000 - WAS AN EXCHANGE FOR MY PN59D8000 DUE TO A BD WISE PROBLEM. They gave me no hassle and tried to fix the tv first, when it was still the same they offered money back or exchange. Try that with panasonic , they wouldn't even replace my $125.00 BDT110 BLU RAY PLAYER that was 2 months old !!! Any way, please do not let any one here make your choice for you, make your own choice. This site is great for information and talking about a/v , but NEVER BASE a desicion on what you read here, always look for yourself.

god bless

You're basing that on MSRP pricing and there are sites already taking pre-orders for the VT50 well above $1,000 less than the MSRP and well below your quoted price for the E8000.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Wow, I am just passing along my experience here. Look at the Samsung problem threads on this forum and look at the Panasonic issues. The Samsung threads are a whole bunch longer with a whole lot more people reporting problems. I own both. Then again the Samsung out of many televisions is the first one I have ever had a serious problem with so I am probably feeling some sour grapes at the moment.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

You're basing that on MSRP pricing and there are sites already taking pre-orders for the VT50 well above $1,000 less than the MSRP and well below your quoted price for the E8000.

show me any site advertising the vt50 less than the e8000 i quoted, oh and not the macmall price that will never stand at $2797.00.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #19 of 22 Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys!

The sites that allow pre order of the VT50 are giving estimated delivery?
post #20 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:

OH, Panasonic really does not have full hd 3d as they advertise. see below

Maybe you need to read the very material you quoted?
Quote:

BTW, we've updated our TX-P42ST50 review with the world's first in-depth analysis of the 3D display mode. The Panasonic Plasmas are still not achieving Full HD resolution in 3D, unfortunately. Hopefully the GT50 and VT50 do. That doesn't change my recommendation though, because it has the usual strengths of very little crosstalk and we achieved good post-calibration 3D greyscale tracking:

That refers to a single 42" model. And the very material says the 3D picture looks great despite not achieving some arbitrary benchmark.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Holy heck lets all get our nerd sticks out for a little longer.....Panasonic Samsung EACH have thier issues you may have to deal with. In the end go with the TV that makes YOU happy as the fanboys\\haters on the forums will always try to push\ ear down one product or another....Samsung and Panasonic are the top choices usually for TVs, also remember that most people who come to forums like this are not coming to gloat how good thier TV is they are coming to post about an issue they are having..

Go to a reputabe shot with a decent set up and if one isnt available go to t Magnolia\\BB\\Big Box store to see the TVs and play with them for a bit. Bring test material if you can so you can see what media that youll watch looks like. adjsut settings to get a better feel of what they actually will look like at home....Then make a decision based on what you feel is the best TV...Everyone could say Panasonic here, you go get the Panasonic and then hate the picture or have major problems (same could happen with samsung or any other brand), then youll be hating the people where for recommending that TV...Hopefully you make the right choice for you
post #22 of 22 Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

show me any site advertising the vt50 less than the e8000 i quoted, oh and not the macmall price that will never stand at $2797.00.

god bless

There are about 5 sites I have seen with prices within $100-200 of the macmall price now. Search Google if you want to see them, though the offers and prices vary from day to day -- I won't get more specific here since it violates the rules of this topic. There are others on some forums who have already placed orders at these prices. No reason to assume all these places will try to scam someone later by changing the price on an item where the MSRP is already established.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page