Missing PDP-R03U Media Receiver for Pioneer PDP-5030HD. What are my options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently moved into a new home and while unpacking all of my stuff, I realized that somehow the PDP-R03U Media Receiver for my Pioneer PDP-5030HD plasma display did not make the move with me. I think it's possible that one of the movers saw what they thought was a DVD player and took it home with them, but I'm not sure and can't prove anything. All I know for certain is that I have a 50" plasma that I can't really do anything with because I don't have the media receiver for it.

I have seen a couple of different threads on here about this TV. The general consensus appears to be that you need the media receiver to get the most out of it and that just hooking it up via DVI won't work.

I've looked on eBay and Craigslist and I think it's ridiculous to pay around $300+ for a media receiver for a TV from 2003. Are there any other options?

Has anyone had luck with this TV with a DVI compatible, non-PC device? What about something like the Gefen TV GTV-HIDEFS - HD video scaler?

Failing that, does anyone have a PDP-R03U of their own that they're not using and willing to part with for a reasonable price?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Demand Food View Post

I recently moved into a new home and while unpacking all of my stuff, I realized that somehow the PDP-R03U Media Receiver for my Pioneer PDP-5030HD plasma display did not make the move with me. I think it's possible that one of the movers saw what they thought was a DVD player and took it home with them, but I'm not sure and can't prove anything. All I know for certain is that I have a 50" plasma that I can't really do anything with because I don't have the media receiver for it.

I have seen a couple of different threads on here about this TV. The general consensus appears to be that you need the media receiver to get the most out of it and that just hooking it up via DVI won't work.

I've looked on eBay and Craigslist and I think it's ridiculous to pay around $300+ for a media receiver for a TV from 2003. Are there any other options?

Has anyone had luck with this TV with a DVI compatible, non-PC device? What about something like the Gefen TV GTV-HIDEFS - HD video scaler?

Failing that, does anyone have a PDP-R03U of their own that they're not using and willing to part with for a reasonable price?

The orphaned panel will only work when connected to it's media box. Without that media box, the panel is only good for target practice at the local outdoor shooting range.

What that mover saw was a very rare item that is in high demand and has sold for $600-$800 on Ebay a few years back. But at this point that old 2003 display isn't worth spending any money on, unless you can find the box for like $100. I'd file a claim with the moving company, and also keep an eye out on Ebay and Craigslist to see if it pops up for sale. They come up for sale so rarely that if you do see one, it's probably yours

The good thing though is that even a brand new 50" entry level Plasma TV will be a huge improvement in picture quality over that old 5030HD for probably less than a used media box would cost you - providing you can still find one that actually works (they had a high failure rate and were extremely expensive to repair in their day, and parts haven't been available for years).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM

it's your lucky day, see if this guy will sell the media receiver separately since the tv doesn't work. offer $40 maybe? hopefully he'll ship it

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...921351971.html
post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both.

I can't prove anything so I don't want to make a big stink with the movers. Knowing my luck, I'll get everyone angry and then find it in a closet I've looked in twice before.

I'm leaning towards just buying a new TV at this point. I actually had already contacted the guy with the Craigslist ad but he's not willing to budge on the price or ship it, so I don't think that's an option right now.

It's a shame because I really love this TV. It's been a trooper for the past 10 years.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Hi did you every locate a media receiver PDP-R03U? I have one in NC. I have a panel with a bad power supply and I think the interface card that connect the receiver. shalopt2atjunodotcom
post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

@shalopt - I am in need of the Pioneer PDP-R03U Media Receiver, do you still have one that you would like to sell?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 AM

I got mine partially working with Pioneer PDP 5050 using DVI from PC only. I found on another site that the resolution needs to be 1280x720 @60hz. That setting worked at startup, but then lost the signal after the initial bootup. I started the PC in safe mode and it went to the desktop with no problem. However, at this point the screen only fills up about 25% of the display and then there are vertical rainbow lines to the right. I will be trying more configurations to see if it improves.The only other trick is that you need to turn the TV on as the PC boots up. The red and green blocks come up on the screen for a few seconds, but then the partial screen does appear. I found that if the TV is already on, the image does not come up. I will report back if I get a "full screen" image. See attached picture.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays