Possibly Replace my Samsung 55B8500 with Panasonic p55st50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really love my Samsung 55b8500 and to this day it is still considered by majority of people to be Samsungs best LCD TV ever so far. I think this samsung gets a lower black level due to its ability to dim local sections of the screen but all the weaknesses of local dimming lcd's are on this too. Blooming when bright areas are next to dark areas and one of the worst viewing angles ever.

I would keep the 55b8500 samsung and move it in my bedroom to replace the 46b8500 in there which in turn I'd give the 46b8500 to a family member (yea i bought all sizes of b8500's cause i liked them so much).

The b8500 was basically rated as the darkest blacks of all tv's except the kuro. I know the Panasonic will have better motion handling and more uniform screen and no haloing and way better viewing angles. I think the Panasonic has more accurate colors as well. Lower input lag. It has 3d which maybe others in the family will enjoy but as I am blind in 1 eye the effect doesnt work to well for me. The only thing that is holding me back is that the blacks may not be as good and once you've been spoiled by incredibly deep blacks you cant go back everything just looks foggy and cloudy and dingy on a screen with poor blacks.

Is it worth it upgrading from Samsungs king of PQ TV that they still can't match to a newer st50 or will the improvements be minor and maybe some things even worse like black level? Maybe wait for the vt50 in 55 inch to see if the PQ jump from the b8500 is worth replacing or if I should just continue to wait another year as the TV I have now is very high end?

Another point I'd like to make is that I have black privacy blinds made of thick aluminum that interlock together with very tight tolerances so even someone pressed up against your window cant see in. The holes where the cord that goes through them to raise and lower is completely gone too. These blinds block a huge percentage of light only a tiny bit leaks through the left and right sides as the blinds dont wrap around the edge. The ceiling light and ceiling fan is controlled with a remote control with a dimmer built in. Basically I'm saying I have very very good control over the light and the windows are behind the screen not in front of it anyways. So what I mean is i prefer my tv's to have around 30 ftl as that is more than enough and it improves the inkyness of the blacks if you don't need 40+ ftl. So the fact that LCD dominates in bright rooms doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I agree that the B8500 is Samsung's best LCD made to date. Its 2D performance still holds its own against top flat panels today. Color accuracy is actually very good, thanks to its CMS. Grayscale and gamma aren't the greatest (only 2 point white balance) but still good. You seem to be pretty aware of the issues the B8500 has (blooming, poor viewing angles etc.). The ST50 will give you a more natural looking picture, better motion resolution, viewing angles and 3D capability. The Blacks won't be quite as good on axis, though (but still VERY good, especially the larger sizes).

FYI, in case you didn't know, the larger sized Panasonic Plasmas (60"+) are supposed to have better black levels, just like last year. So with that said, if I were you, I think the 60ST50 would be a worthy upgrade and/or a 55/65VT50. Personally, if I had a 55B8500, I wouldn't consider an ST50 to be a worthy upgrade unless you were going bigger, or the issues you're having with the B8500 bother you enough, and/or you're interested in 3D.

That's just my 0.02 and what I would do in your position.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not a very big room. Honestly even 55" is too big the TV is only like 4 feet actually a little under 4 feet away from the couch. A 50 inch would be more appropriate but you can't go smaller once you are used to a bigger size. (that's what she said)

I am going to wait for the 55vt50. If the vt50 improves over the vt30 the same amount the st50 improved over the st30 I might just go for it. I don't need to upgrade but I feel bad for my dad he's using a 32" samsung LCD that is the cheapest lowest model they make either 200 or 300 series cant remember. And the viewing distance is 9-10 feet. A 32 inch tv at that distance is horrid. Especially a manufactures cheapest model line of lcd's. Incredibly slow 60hz panel motion is very blurry. I watched a march madness game on it and it was a one big blur.

So I was thinking I could turn the situation into a win win. Get a new killer 55" plasma and move the 55b8500 into my bedroom which will be nice cause it does suck going from watching a 55 inch to a 46 inch late at night. And my dad is so used to the crap he has now that a 46b8500 would be a godsend compared to the previous tv even though he really needs more than a 46" tv at 10 feet it'll still make him very happy because the leap in quality will be so huge. So actually this is a win win win for everyone.

But if the vt50 isn't a good margin better than the st50 than I just might have to hold out another year and see what 2013 brings. Not like I'll be that sad having to watch tv off my b8500's for another year. And my dad is living in blissful ignorance of how bad the tv is so it won't hurt him to wait either. So no matter what happens I think I'll be fine. I am rooting for the vt50 to blow the st50 out the water and create the new reference plasma display for sure though.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page