The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 657 Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Picked up a 51E530 on Saturday and so far I'm loving this set. It replaced a Sam 46" DLP 720p that I thought had a decent picture before, but compared to the E530 it's not even close! It was between the Pan U50 or the E530 but the store I went to was out of stock of the U50 so it made the decision that much easier.

I haven’t run the slides yet (not sure if I will…) but I’ve watched a few minutes of some Blu-Ray movies with high PQ ratings and the first thing I noticed were the black levels and how much more detail I was missing before. Followed that up with some Olympics and the Foo Fighters at Wembley concert that was airing on Palladia. WOW… again, the level of black detail from Dave’s shirt, pants and guitar were amazing. There was also a Pizza Hut commercial that I never noticed until now (it’s one with a couple sitting in front of an all red house and everything else is red. The color jumped off the screen.)

Faint buzz – only heard it when setting up the bias light behind the set and my head was a few inches from the back.

The only thing I wish was better was the level of glare. It’s very noticeable but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The TV is set up in the family room and it’s an open floor plan so there is light coming in from every direction… Even with the blinds closed there are some reflections but it’s much less and it’s only noticeable when the screen is dark.

During the day – Standard, Warm 1
During the night – Movie, Warm 1
Contrast 80 and Brightness 45, everything else off or left unchanged.

I’m sure I’ll play around with the settings after some more hours.

For what I spent I think it’s more than worth it. A great performing set without the bells & whistles that I didn’t need or want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 657 Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm tempted to upgrade to the E530.

Your picture will improve as the break in
continues and the heat level goes way down.
Leve it on for 10 days or longer if you can.
Be sure to always keep the cell light at 20.

This works great on my E450.

Mode - Movie
Cell Light 20
Brightness 50 daytime / 40 for evening and 35 for a dark room (Blacks look amazing at 35!
Contrast 100 daytime / 98 for evening and 93 for a dark room
Sharpness 0
Color 51
R/G Tint 50/50
Color Space - Native
Gamma -1 for night (0 for daytime
Dynamic Contrast - off
Black Tone - Darkest
Flesh Tone - 0
Color Tone - Warm1
Size - Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter - Off

I have tried different settings but always come back to these.
White Balance Calibration
RO - 21
GO - 25
BO - 22
RG - 20
GG - 25
BG - 23
post #273 of 657 Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 10
I have the 51E55 and 4 months later still no buzz,colors are amazing the PQ is just awesome.Got better after break in,not as drastic as the last C550 I had which had a huge PQ difference after break in period.

I am still wondering if anyone has tried the samsung supplied usb drive firmware yet?

I got mine in the mail from samsung and since all is so good I don't want to jinx it.
The release notes are so vague,it says helps PQ and future issues????

Other than that,I love this set and my brother has a 60in 8000 series and although slimmer and all,I don't see a huge difference that would make me spend over twice the money.He has a cool remote and dual core better features etc,but I swear the picture isn't like WOW I shouldve spent over twice the cash,I truly don't see twice the PQ.Even he said he is getting a new bedroom and will get the 51e550 like mine.

Just an opinion as some are complaining of buzz and other issues and I have mine in a quiet bedroom and its my 5th plasma so I', not a newb,just very happy with the E550.smile.gif
post #274 of 657 Old 07-30-2012, 02:13 PM

I also don't get these complaints about the buzzing.

I'm a VERY sensitive listener, to the point where my entire Media Centre was replaced with a low revolution quiet cool fan system because I couldn't take the noise any more.

I only ever hear the buzz when everything is on Mute and the screen is displaying a very brightly lot scene or image.

Honestly it's a non-issue during regular use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #275 of 657 Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
CompUSA has a great deal for the E550 60" w/ bluray player. My heart is set on the Panny 55"st50. Does this set even come close to the Panny ST in PQ? From reviews it seems that nothing can beat the ST for PQ/Value so far this year.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #276 of 657 Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 AM

I bought my 550 a few months ago and I'm quite satisfied. There is a bit of digital noise when standing close to the TV, but it's not noticeable from 5+ feet away. 3D is awesome with the right viewing angle. That's not why I'm posting tho...

I wasn't sure where else to post this, so I figured I'd add to to the owners thread:

Ever since I got this I've had HORRIBLE internet speeds via WIFI. I haven't been in a position yet to run an ethernet cable to the back of my TV cause it's summer and way too hot in the attic! I spent literally hours trying different router settings as my laptop would see normal speeds on the same WIFI when right next to the TV. I also noticed recently that my android phone was having the same problem. I stumbled across an article (which now I can't find the link to) that said disabling WMM QOS in my router settings could help. I tried that just now and voila! Where before I was getting hick-ups on SD youtube videos, I just streamed an HD trailer without a single stutter! Also, my android phone went from testing speeds of ~300kbps to now testing @ over 5Mbps. My router is a Netgear btw.

So if you're seeing slow download/streaming speeds over wireless, go into your router's settings and disable WMM QOS.

Hope this helps some folks that have been banging their heads against the wall smile.gif
post #277 of 657 Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM

I just bought a PN51E550 a month and a half back. It's developed a buzzing that is easily heard from a couple metres away, but it's only heard in certain seating positions. I did buy an extended warranty on the TV. Should I be considering utilizing that warranty to get the buzzing fixed and/or the unit replaced?
post #278 of 657 Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM

I guess its just hit or miss but I have 4 samsungs in my home 2 D series and a 51E550 and a 60E8000 and my brother has a Panasonic Vt50 and an E8000 and not one of the TVs Buzz atleast not noticeable at viewing distances of 2 to 10 feet.I even went right up to my tvs an inch away and only hear a very slight hum with my ear almost touching the sets.

I also wanted to say the samsung I watched at my brothers is as good if not better than his new panasonic,the samsung definitely has better colors.He just had them calibrated and the panasonics blacks are a bit better but overall I prefer the Samsung. I will say the panasonic looks better in the bright room as it has a great new filter tech that is a bit better than the samsung E8000 again,my eyes and opinion,even the ISF calibration tech said they are so close it's a hard choice even with a pro calibration.Out of box samsung looked alot better,now after calibration and break in they both are amazing TVs.

I'm sure people will have different opinions but I see them almost daily with blu ray & FIOS on all our sets.

I guess we are lucky with buzz as I have never had issue even going back to my first B series Plasma.Although I had dancing pixels and both my B&C series panels went bad in less then 3 years.Samsung covered my C series as a one time courtesy out of warranty.I have to give samsung credit for that,They gave me a new E series for my C series as a warranty replacement. If you have bad buzzers i would call samsung or try another as I can attest there are alot that dont buzz and are worth it.

Good Luck to all.
post #279 of 657 Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM

You should first try to get the unit replaced through Samsung. Many extended services companies won't exchange the set if the unit is buzzing but working, especially if you tell them that it's been buzzing since you purchased it.

post #280 of 657 Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Daggumit... Forgot to tell the babysitter about how to watch the new tv. Got home to some light IR bc she was watching 4:3 content... I'll run static and follow it up with the break in slides. Still excited to try out Hugo tonight though.

post #281 of 657 Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So how are the black levels?

I own this years Panny X5, and while the blacks look good in a dim room, they don't however look good in a room that's pitch dark. XP
How do the black levels stack up on the E530, which i'm assuming are the same as the E550's?

According to HDTV.Test.uk if this even applies to US models labeling HDMI to PC input reduces input lag by 1 frame going from 32ms to 16ms. BUTTT, it seems
that certain basic picture controls are blocked out like color, sharpness and whatever. If this can be changed so that the basic picture controls 'can' be
enabled and IF this set truly can do 1 frame than i'd definitly pick one up. Still struggling with this entire input lag ordeal, i'm pretty demanding in this
area. I've decided not to go with this years Panny's. The X5 has 2 frames of lag via component and slightly
more with HDMI, which isn't good enough for me. The U50 i'd imagine is worse or just as good, either way it
doesn't matter because it's 2 frames or more.

Which leaves me with the Samsung E530 or last years Panasonic S30 which i don't want to really bother with considering i'd have to get a used set online, so i'd be taking a chance and i wouldn't
want to be stuck with a set that i'm unhappy with. Ahhh, if only the E530's picture controls could be enabled through the service menu in HDMI 'pc input'
mode for gaming...Maybe it's possible?
post #282 of 657 Old 08-04-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The E550 uses better video processing than the E530, and also has 3D and Smart TV internet apps. Probably better blacks as well. And nicer menu interface. Right now the 51E530 is around $749, and the 51E550 is down to $849. For that $100, I would definitely go with the E550, which is probably better for gaming as well. The pic quality will be more similar to the 6500/7000 series at a bargain price, minus the glare filter.
post #283 of 657 Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The E550 uses better video processing than the E530, and also has 3D and Smart TV internet apps. Probably better blacks as well. And nicer menu interface. Right now the 51E530 is around $749, and the 51E550 is down to $849. For that $100, I would definitely go with the E550, which is probably better for gaming as well. The pic quality will be more similar to the 6500/7000 series at a bargain price, minus the glare filter.

Well, the better video processing and 3D especially would be the two reasons why I'd get the E550, if it's really just $100 extra. What has been putting me off is the $1199 CAD price tag,
but currently the 51" is on sale for $999. I'm curious though, if any of the modes on the E550 can deliver the same great breatness(When the X5 is in game/vivid mode for gaming) and fantastic vibrant and colorful 'color gamut' that the
Panny X5 can dish out.

Worried about black levels though. I know I'd be absolutely satisfyed with the UT50 concerning blacks since they're supposed to be amazing but i want to know how the E550's stack up in comparison.
Like i said i'm a bit dissapointed by my X5's black levels when watching movies in a pitch dark room, funny how they look a lot better when the room is just dim. They definitly don't blend into the bezel
in pure darkness, a bit on the dark greyish side actually. Hopefully the Sammy doesn't have the same problem. I just don't like settling for anything less than CRT when it comes to blacks and motion handeling.
Yet, my LG PT350 600hz plasma is good enough in the motion department, meanwhile my X5 panny isn't quite as good and blurring is more evident. Apperantly samsung has the edge over Panasonic in comparison to
their 600hz displays. The new 2400hz panasonic plasma's however are supposed to be finally on par with Samsung's
600hz displays. :P
post #284 of 657 Old 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

played with an E550 today, brought in my own sammy remote & tried all settings i could think of, and nothing looked good at all(too dim, even with cell light turned all the way up)................going to w8 for the st50 prices to come down and go with that.

Too dim? eek! well this kind of just threw me off. Then again, i was pretty unhappy based on my experience with last years D450...Blacks weren't too shabby,
along with the motion handeling, but the picture was 'far' too dim for my liking, the input lag was terrible
and the picture almost had this nasty fuzzy/blurry filter going on. Maybe i had a junky set, either way
it wasn't a good experience.
post #285 of 657 Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 AM

I had a terrible buzzing (more like a mechanical rattling sound than a 60 cycle electrical sound) from one of the built-in speakers on my 51". Switching to external speakers via a Radio Shack optical to RCA converter device silenced it completely, as well as giving me much better sound quality.
post #286 of 657 Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Sorry, this got posted in the wrong place on first try:

I had a terrible buzzing (more like a mechanical rattling sound than a 60 cycle electrical sound) from one of the built-in speakers on my 51". Switching to external speakers via a Radio Shack optical to RCA converter device silenced it completely, as well as giving me much better sound quality.
post #287 of 657 Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Just curious how everyone overall is liking their E550 series plasmas? I'm getting my 51D550 replaced by samsung under warranty with an E and I'm interested to know what current owners impressions are.
post #288 of 657 Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post

Just curious how everyone overall is liking their E550 series plasmas? I'm getting my 51D550 replaced by samsung under warranty with an E and I'm interested to know what current owners impressions are.
Very happy with my 51E550. Using the excellent AVS HD 709 disc, the only change I had to make from default cinema (aside from the usual turning off noise filters and lowering sharpness) was raising color one tick from 50 to 51. Excellent picture quality, almost zero line bleed (pretty much the only time it's ever visible is with a lower quality video source; movies, wether blu-ray or DVD, look terrific). Black levels weren't the ink-deep I was expecting coming from an LCD, but still very acceptable (they do float, however).

Shadow detail aboslutely trumps my LG LCD. I hear Panasonic usually has more visible shadow detail, but in his comparison of the E8000 vs GT50 Chad B actually prefers the slightly more darker shadowed areas of the E8000, stating that it's more "filmlike."
post #289 of 657 Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

Very happy with my 51E550. Using the excellent AVS HD 709 disc, the only change I had to make from default cinema (aside from the usual turning off noise filters and lowering sharpness) was raising color one tick from 50 to 51. Excellent picture quality, almost zero line bleed (pretty much the only time it's ever visible is with a lower quality video source; movies, wether blu-ray or DVD, look terrific). Black levels weren't the ink-deep I was expecting coming from an LCD, but still very acceptable (they do float, however).
Shadow detail aboslutely trumps my LG LCD. I hear Panasonic usually has more visible shadow detail, but in his comparison of the E8000 vs GT50 Chad B actually prefers the slightly more darker shadowed areas of the E8000, stating that it's more "filmlike."

my E450 I've had the color at 55 from day one but now it's on 52.
how is the heat level from your screen?
it was so high the first 5 days I could feel it from several feet away!
I left mine on for the first 10 days and on day 6 could feel a slight drop
in heat and now 7 weeks later it's gone down dramatically.
yes 'film like' is the best way to describe the picture.
NOT digital or computer looking and that's what I hate to see.
I don't want to feel like I'm watching a computer screen when watching my TV.
post #290 of 657 Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 AM

New member here. Googled and searched the forums for this...please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Just got a new PN51E550 to replace my dead Panny 42" plasma. For the most part, I love it. It's freaking huge. Picture from a good HD source is great. 3D works as advertised. Apps are way more interesting and useful than expected. No buzzing. The wife loves it. biggrin.gif

I've got a problem, though, and this could be a deal breaker. The 4:3 picture size option seems to be useless.

Examples:

1) Watching DVD on PS3. Content is 4:3. When PS3 is set to 1080p/16:9, selecting the 4:3 picture size squishes the image - from left to right you get:

vertical grey bar
vertical black bar
squished image
vertical black bar
vertical grey bar

I can work around this by changing the PS3 to output 480p/4:3, but it changes the picture quality (since you're no longer upconverting) and it is a bit of a pain.

2) Watching Star Trek: TNG Blu Ray on PS3. Content is 4:3. Selecting the 4:3 picture size yields the same result as in example #1, but here the workaround is unacceptable. I bought TNG on Blu Ray specifically for the picture quality.

3) Watching PBS HD OTA off the TV tuner. Content is some old cowboy movie in 4:3. Setting picture size 4:3 yields the same result as in example #1, except there is no workaround for the TV tuner - there doesn't appear to be a way to force 4:3 output from the tuner. I mean, why would you? This is an HDTV.

My Panny evidently placed the grey side bars in 4:3 format ON TOP of the picture. Samsung seems to insert them from the sides. If I can't find a solution for this, I'm going to have to trade this in for another set that handles 4:3 the way my Panasonic did.

Stretching/zooming is NOT an acceptable solution to me.

Please tell me I'm missing something here.
post #291 of 657 Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson5150 View Post

I've got a problem, though, and this could be a deal breaker. The 4:3 picture size option seems to be useless.
Examples:
1) Watching DVD on PS3. Content is 4:3. When PS3 is set to 1080p/16:9, selecting the 4:3 picture size squishes the image - from left to right you get:
vertical grey bar
vertical black bar
squished image
vertical black bar
vertical grey bar
I can work around this by changing the PS3 to output 480p/4:3, but it changes the picture quality (since you're no longer upconverting) and it is a bit of a pain.
2) Watching Star Trek: TNG Blu Ray on PS3. Content is 4:3. Selecting the 4:3 picture size yields the same result as in example #1, but here the workaround is unacceptable. I bought TNG on Blu Ray specifically for the picture quality.
3) Watching PBS HD OTA off the TV tuner. Content is some old cowboy movie in 4:3. Setting picture size 4:3 yields the same result as in example #1, except there is no workaround for the TV tuner - there doesn't appear to be a way to force 4:3 output from the tuner. I mean, why would you? This is an HDTV.
I'm not quite sure I understand your problem. If you're outputting from, say, the PS3 and it's set to 1080p/16:9, you don't need to select 4:3 on your E550, just leave your TV on 16:9 or Screen Fit and you'll get a 4:3 image with black bars on the sides.

The only thing I can gather is that you're wanting to use the gray bars instead of black sidebars? The gray bars are useless in preventing IR (I've experimented and seen no difference in IR between gray and black sidebars) and IMO may actually do more burn-in damage than less. But if you really must use the gray sidebars for DVD (I don't think there's a way to use them for blu-ray because 4:3 blu-rays are basically 16:9 anamorphic with black bars being part of the image, not generated) just set your PS3 to output full screen and then select 4:3 on your TV.
post #292 of 657 Old 08-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I understand your problem.

The premise of my post is that the use of gray bars when viewing 4:3 content is necessary to prevent IR on plasma TVs.

Quote:
If you're outputting from, say, the PS3 and it's set to 1080p/16:9, you don't need to select 4:3 on your E550, just leave your TV on 16:9 or Screen Fit and you'll get a 4:3 image with black bars on the sides.

Wow. You don't say.

Quote:
I've experimented and seen no difference in IR between gray and black sidebars

This runs contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations and everything else I've read on the subject.

Quote:
just set your PS3 to output full screen and then select 4:3 on your TV

Read my post again. Or better yet, here's a picture.

post #293 of 657 Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson5150 View Post

The premise of my post is that the use of gray bars when viewing 4:3 content is necessary to prevent IR on plasma TVs.
Wow. You don't say.
This runs contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations and everything else I've read on the subject.
Read my post again. Or better yet, here's a picture.
OK, wow. Is there a reason for your snide and sarcastic remarks? You asked for help and I tried to give it you. The premise of your post did not seem to be "the use of gray bars when viewing 4:3 content is necessary to prevent IR on plasma TVs;" it appeared to be more along the lines of focusing on 4:3 content being squished.

Now I did infer (if you read my post carefully) that your 4:3 images were being squished because you were trying to incorrectly utilize the gray sidebars to which I tried to helpfully point out that the use of which isn't really necessary and is not going to prevent ir (if you use gray sidebars, you'll get IR the same as if you used the black sidebars). Manufacturers say a lot of things to cover their a$$es, doesn't make them true.

In regards to your Star Trek blu-ray and PBS HD situations; when it comes to 1.33:1 AR material, black bars are part of the 16:9 HD image (just as black bars are part of the image in regards to 2.35:1 material).

So you're a new member, huh. Welcome to AVS rolleyes.gif
post #294 of 657 Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

good to hear some positive words on the tv. I'm getting it delivered tomm. morning and am cautiously optimistic that I will be pleased with the set and it's overall picture improvements over the D series.
post #295 of 657 Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright, well I'm officially down to a 60" E550 or a 60" 2011 ST30.
I'd be absolutely kicking myself if i didn't get a 3D set since i absolutely LOVE the technology.
I originally kind of wanted to go with a 50", but considering half the content for the Wii U will be 1080p,
plus the fact that i do have the room for a 60" and it would fit on my HDTV stand perfectly AND most importantly
it would make the experience be it gaming or films(including 3D) far more immersive, engrossing and and exciting.

I'll be getting one of the two in early Dec or Late NOV. But i'm curious about Brightness, color, black levels,
sharpness, input lag, the works and of course the 3D effect.

I'm used to CRT blacks, and this years Panasonic X5 while very good in a dim room, isn't up to snuff in a dark
room where the blacks appear dark grey... I need to keep in mind that this particular set is a non NeoPanel
720p model, so i'm sure the UT50 and onwards eclipse the X5 and deliver outstanding blacks, both those models
don't apply though because of the high input lag sadly...

This years panaosnic X5's color gamut is amazing, game mode produces an extremely bright picture and the image is super crisp
and clear. However aside from the dissapointing black levels i noticed that the motion handeling on this set
isn't as good as my 2011 LG plasma. How do 600hz samsung plasma's compare in the motion department in comparison
to the Panasonics?

And as i've mentioned before i had a bit of a dissapointing experience with last years D450, it almost appeared
like there was this nasty filter, like vasaline was smeared all over the screen and the picture was extremely
dim. Perhaps i didn't properly turn the CATS off or give it much of a chance to begin with. How's the color
gamut buy the way? Can you achieve super colorful, vivid and vibrant colors on the E550 without turning on
some sort of color management?

Either way, i'll most likely be testing out the E450(to compare to my X5) and the 50" and 60" E550 down at future
Shop in the following months to get an idea, there's no way i'm hauling a 60" back to the store if i'm unsatisfyed. XP
post #296 of 657 Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Hello

I'm considering an upgrade from a Panasonic tx70b to an E550.

Does anyone know how the glare compares on the 2 tv's as I don't think the tx70 has anti glare, they look similar when I compare mine to one in shop but it's hard to tell cos it's in shop.

Thanks

Ian
post #297 of 657 Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Has anyone had any issues using Apple TV 2 with this Samsung? I find that my playback is perfect, but every 2 minutes or do the audio cuts out for about 5 seconds and comes back. Any help would be appreciated.

This tv is so great so far!!!
post #298 of 657 Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 PM

I recently bought 2 60E550's.....i put them both through a full day and night 7 day breakin period and both of them hum, although 1 hums more than the other. 1 of them hums loud enough that if it's night time or u have it on low volume u can hear it as clear as day, the other one hums but not as bad. The one that hums loudly has a much better picture than the one that doesn't hum as much as it looks kinda grainy. For the life of me i can't figure out how this can be looking so different if they are both the same. Not sure if it matters that i have the loud one pluged directly into a wall outlet alone and the other plugged into a triplelite surger protector cause my 2 pioneers were fried last year in a major lighting storm and i had them plugged into a 500 dollar name brand surge protector. Should look similar. Anyway, do ANY of u have some calibration numbers u can kindly share? I tried using a graph disk but for the life of me i can't get it. I am not sure if it's cause of some personal issues i have health wise that i can't get it to look good using the calibration disks or maybe its just i'm a bit on the dumb side for not being able to figure out or match up the disk with the graphs the way it says. Anyway, i can't find anyone who has the 60e550 who is willing to share their complete calibration numbers. Anyone? thanks kindly smile.gif

OH i did what the gentleman above said about taking off the wmm qos...actually it said wmm enable with a check mark in the box...it unchecked it and it shut off all my internet stuff lol......u think i got the wrong one cause that is the only one i saw that said that and i have a dlink dir655 xtreme router.

Panasonic PC-50U60 Plasma 60" Vierra

Yamaha RX-A720 7.2 Receiver

Polk Monitor 50 Fronts CS1 Center Polk Monitor 40's Rear (X's 4) All Cherry

PS3 60gb Backward Compatible Upgraded to 500gb HDD

Acer I7 3rd Generation 17.3" 16gb Ram 3.4 Turbo w/ 2 Graphic Cards

post #299 of 657 Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Bought a 60E550.. Tv is awesome.. I love it.. Except for one thing....

The more white on the screen, the greyer the white gets. For example; the xbox logo.. White background and green X logo.. Well, the background is actually pretty grey... someone spoke of hockey in the thread, mine does a bit the same thing. The more ice surface i see on the screen, the darker the screen gets. if i pause the tv on the ice surface and open the tv menu, the white gets brighter and looks very good(from what i can see). i will try to take pictures tonite for show.

Though im getting a new replacement on Saturday.. I wanted to know if you guys think its really a manufacturing problem or not.. Called Samsung and they never heard something like it.......
post #300 of 657 Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delryk View Post

Bought a 60E550.. Tv is awesome.. I love it.. Except for one thing....
The more white on the screen, the greyer the white gets. For example; the xbox logo.. White background and green X logo.. Well, the background is actually pretty grey... someone spoke of hockey in the thread, mine does a bit the same thing. The more ice surface i see on the screen, the darker the screen gets. if i pause the tv on the ice surface and open the tv menu, the white gets brighter and looks very good(from what i can see). i will try to take pictures tonite for show.
Though im getting a new replacement on Saturday.. I wanted to know if you guys think its really a manufacturing problem or not.. Called Samsung and they never heard something like it.......

Any Eco or power saving should be turned off.
Be sure Cell Light is on max of 20.
Dynamic Contrast - off
Digital Noise Filter - Off
Look at the back of the tv, the samsung white lable
where it says 'typical power' what is the number?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Pn50a550 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page