The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD - Page 16 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Birdpuppie's Avatar Birdpuppie
05:45 PM Liked: 10
post #451 of 657
12-26-2012 | Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckeLM View Post

I do see the pop-up smart hub when its signing you in, which is frustrating but I can handle it. . :C

You can turn it off..it is in one of the menu programs..
fatestkid's Avatar fatestkid
11:53 PM Liked: 11
post #452 of 657
12-26-2012 | Posts: 49
Bought a 60" e550 today. What are some must do things out of the box for well lit living room condition? I am going to install a dimmer on the lights to help with reflection.

I read to page 8 but didnt have the might to read the rest so forgive me for my lazyiness.

Edit:made it through 11. Seems like nothing must do has been posted
scoobdude's Avatar scoobdude
01:40 AM Liked: 25
post #453 of 657
12-27-2012 | Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestkid View Post

Bought a 60" e550 today. What are some must do things out of the box for well lit living room condition? I am going to install a dimmer on the lights to help with reflection.
I read to page 8 but didnt have the might to read the rest so forgive me for my lazyiness.
Edit:made it through 11. Seems like nothing must do has been posted

If you access the service menu you can have a day and night mode. Also get some IKEA leds for behind the tv
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC
12:41 PM Liked: 100
post #454 of 657
12-27-2012 | Posts: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

If you access the service menu you can have a day and night mode. Also get some IKEA leds for behind the tv
Should this TV be set in Day or Night Mode by default? It seems very bright, moreso than the D550. Had to turn Brightness down to 25 from 45 in Standard Mode, whereas I normally prefer 45. My brother got the 51E550 for Xmas and it seemed way too bright until I turned the Brightness down to 25. Also the E7000 seems to be preset very bright in the service menu with a very high contrast. Perhaps changing Day or Night mode in the service menu would tone down the brightness.
01:19 PM Liked: 25
post #455 of 657
12-27-2012 | Posts: 397
Day and not mode just ads 2 more settings to the 4 or 5 already there. You calibrate one for day use and another for night use. Cool advantage is even if you reset the TV those two settings profiles will not be erased.

Research how to access the service menu but be warned you can mess up your TV if you are not sure what you are doing
04:57 PM Liked: 11
post #456 of 657
12-27-2012 | Posts: 49
Quote:

Day and not mode just ads 2 more settings to the 4 or 5 already there. You calibrate one for day use and another for night use. Cool advantage is even if you reset the TV those two settings profiles will not be erased.
Research how to access the service menu but be warned you can mess up your TV if you are not sure what you are doing
lso
Is the mess up permanent or will a reset solve the mess up?
04:58 PM Liked: 11
post #457 of 657
12-27-2012 | Posts: 49
Quote:

I assume that's for bias lighting? Should the LEDs be dimmable?
Mike Manangan's Avatar Mike Manangan
12:41 PM Liked: 10
post #458 of 657
12-29-2012 | Posts: 7
hi guys, PN51E550 owner here. its my first samsung and my first plasma. i have it for a few month not bothering setting up anything but i did make sure that i follow the break in guidelines. smile.gif

i have a few questions though regarding our TV, is the lag normal? i dont see people complaining about it but its actually the reason why i didnt bother tinkering the smartmenu because it lags so much. mad.gif
another thing does anyone experience loosing control either with the remote controller or the panel controller? this usually happens when i thinker alot with smart menu while something is updating/connection/loading or when im impatient and press smart menu then press tools and press something else that requires it to load. i tried waiting but even after an hour my remote control still doesn't work, even the panel control on the tv wouldnt work. i have to unplug it to make it work again.

another recent encounter i had when i started using social tv ( which was just yesterday) when i turn on the tv it restart several times before it could actually run smoothly. sometimes on the process i even end up loosing control where tv wont respond using the remote nor the panel and again i end up unplugging it tv to make it work properly again.

my problem really is when my daughter uses the tv, shes just 4 and wont be able to do what i can do to make the tv run properly. the smart feature for me at this point is just so unreliable that i would rather turn all features off so it doesnt cost problems.

hope someone can shed some light that way i know if all those things iv experienced are normal or those my tv needs some servicing/replacement.
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
12:56 PM Liked: 10
post #459 of 657
12-29-2012 | Posts: 23
Youtube app update!!!! WOOOOOOHHH!!!! Lets hope we can now use Keyboard functionality!! I'll post back if it can! cool.gif
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
12:58 PM Liked: 10
post #460 of 657
Well I'm using an Android app called Smart TV remote and the number input works but the text send doen't ;C I still have to try with my keyboard!
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
01:04 PM Liked: 10
post #461 of 657
Nope Keyboard doesn't work... hmm I wonder why it was updated then... useless.
01:29 PM Liked: 25
post #462 of 657
12-29-2012 | Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestkid View Post

I assume that's for bias lighting? Should the LEDs be dimmable?

No LEDs in plasma. The day and night mode are just a mother" profile" for settings. Does not add any new adjustments
JD-AVS's Avatar JD-AVS
11:38 AM Liked: 10
post #463 of 657
12-31-2012 | Posts: 53
Quote:

I originally bought the E530 and HATED IT! this is so much better! I love the 3-D and Apps and the picture quality is awesome. I do see the pop-up smart hub when its signing you in, which is frustrating but I can handle it. Another thing that i had a huge problem with initially was the Digital Noise reduction filter. I set it to high not knowing it would cause TERRIBLE motion blur. So be wise and turn it off! Everything else seems to be awesome. Though the one thing I do wish for is an app for my phone to let me control the mouse in smart hub. There is an app already called allshare control but its only for teh Samsung Galaxy 3 and Tablet. :C

I bought the E530 and have about a week left on my return window. I've been pretty happy with it overall, but just recently had the chance to check out some in-home 3D, in comparison to in-store and in-theatre 3D, and was blown away by how cool the experience was. Albeit that was on a panny plasma. You're the only member I've come across that has owned and returned the E530 in exchange for the E550 and am very curious to hear the specific differences between the two other than the response of the E530 is the same minus 3D and smart apps. Someone mentioned at some point that the E550 has better video processing and blacks, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on why you strongly disliked the E530 and what you've been able to discern as a direct comparison between the two.
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
02:36 PM Liked: 10
post #464 of 657
12-31-2012 | Posts: 23
Well you came to the right person. The main reason I returned it was because of the pretty noticeable motion blurring. I think it is due to built in Digital Noise Reduction. If you were to loop a red ball bouncing on a white background on the E530 you would see the "frames" as it were of the motion of the ball. Now that may not bug some people but I'm a huge Audiophile and Videophile. So it was all I could see after I noticed it. Also the menu system on the E530 looks outdated and the overall UI of the E550 is much sleeker and just prettier. And lastly of course there is the 3-D and Smart apps which are cool. The samsung Smart hub is like a 3/5 stars. Its nice looking but super clunky. You could buy a smart TV thubdrive based on Android for your E530 which basically will give you all the apps of the Google play store and a remote that controls the mouse and apps like a wiimote (which i was going to do) http://infinitec.com/pocket-tv/features/

The E530 also is a tinge bit brighter actually, but not very much. Like I said, the motion blurring was just too bad for me to justify the purchase. The E550 has a MUCH larger user base which means more support and info, its has Wifi which allows samsung to update the firmware and picture quality which is a great assurance. Now on to the 3-D, the E550's 3-D isnt amazing but its just plain fun. I like it. it might give you a headache after watching it for the first couple of times but after you get used to it its okay, I played Journey (a PS3 game) on 3-D for about 2.5 hours straight and forgot it was even on lol. I would say you SHOULD update to the E550 just because its a bigger deal, you get much more out of the TV and more support. On a last note the E550 has a better frame, its glassy and sleek. the E530 had a really strange blue gradient at the bottom of the frame. Oh plus the 3 HDMI and 2 USB inputs as opposed to the 2 HDMI and 1 USB on the E530. Good luck with your TV!!!!! biggrin.gif:D:D:D
**OptimusPrime**'s Avatar **OptimusPrime**
10:17 PM Liked: 28
post #465 of 657
12-31-2012 | Posts: 239
Quote:

Well you came to the right person. The main reason I returned it was because of the pretty noticeable motion blurring. I think it is due to built in Digital Noise Reduction.

Just one point to mention, Digital NR can be set to various levels, including "off" in the picture settings menu.
JoQc's Avatar JoQc
10:05 AM Liked: 11
post #466 of 657
01-01-2013 | Posts: 27
Hey guys I have a question for you!
Still sorry for my english, I'll try to be clear.
what are your sound settings for this TV?
I used to leave it in Movie Mode, but I just change my television service provider, I moved from cable to fiber optic and I notice in the ''cable box'' settings that I can put the sound to multichannel or stereo.
The tech who installed the whole thing leave it to stereo, the default setting I guess.
Should I put it to multichannel? I don't have any sound system, I'm using the TV speakers. So, if I put it to multichannel, do I change the sound setting in the TV too or I leave it to Movie?
Thanks in advance!
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
02:49 PM Liked: 10
post #467 of 657
01-01-2013 | Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by **OptimusPrime** View Post

Just one point to mention, Digital NR can be set to various levels, including "off" in the picture settings menu.

I was talking about a different TV. The E530 which has no options.
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
02:53 PM Liked: 10
post #468 of 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoQc View Post

Should I put it to multichannel? I don't have any sound system, I'm using the TV speakers. So, if I put it to multichannel, do I change the sound setting in the TV too or I leave it to Movie?
Thanks in advance!

Stereo means Two speakers, while multichannel is used for 5 speaker 5.1 surround sound or 7 speaker 7.1 surround sound. If your using your TV's speakers you only have two possible channels which is called stereo. You can turn on sudo-surround sound in the settings but Movie mode sounds the best in my opinion. But if you keep it in normal mode you can also assess the EQ menu and change it to your liking.
**OptimusPrime**'s Avatar **OptimusPrime**
03:40 PM Liked: 28
post #469 of 657
01-01-2013 | Posts: 239
Quote:

I was talking about a different TV. The E530 which has no options.
Yes, I know. The E530 has the option for Digital NR. I have the 60" model.
04:41 PM Liked: 11
post #470 of 657
01-01-2013 | Posts: 49
Quote:

No LEDs in plasma. The day and night mode are just a mother" profile" for settings. Does not add any new adjustments

I meant the ikea leds for behind the tv, that's for bias lighting. Are the ikea one's 6500K or close to it?
tre74's Avatar tre74
07:18 PM Liked: 17
post #471 of 657
01-01-2013 | Posts: 134
Anybody else get to download the Samsung remote app before it was yanked? I still have the US version on an iPod touch and the Euro version on an iPhone. Gone for good?
StrikerZ's Avatar StrikerZ
08:37 PM Liked: 10
post #472 of 657
01-01-2013 | Posts: 30
How is the PQ on the E550 while watching something or playing games in a lit room? I haven't heard good things about it and it is sort of making me go back on wanting to purchase it.
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
11:10 PM Liked: 10
post #473 of 657
The picture is Def more washed out. This is true for most all plasma screens. Due to the glare of the glass and the blacks absorbing the ambient light. If you have a really bright room you might go towards an LED TV.
JoQc's Avatar JoQc
09:49 AM Liked: 11
post #474 of 657
01-02-2013 | Posts: 27
Quote:

Stereo means Two speakers, while multichannel is used for 5 speaker 5.1 surround sound or 7 speaker 7.1 surround sound. If your using your TV's speakers you only have two possible channels which is called stereo. You can turn on sudo-surround sound in the settings but Movie mode sounds the best in my opinion. But if you keep it in normal mode you can also assess the EQ menu and change it to your liking.
Thanks for the quick reply!
I will stick with stereo for a while until I'll get my home cinema system.
If I choose to buy a soundbar, will I have to leave it on stereo or I'll be able to put it to multichannel?
Thanks again!
Mike Manangan's Avatar Mike Manangan
10:56 AM Liked: 10
post #475 of 657
01-02-2013 | Posts: 7
guys any comment on my post? need your advice that way i can call samsung and have it fix/replaced. thanks
tre74's Avatar tre74
11:32 AM Liked: 17
post #476 of 657
01-02-2013 | Posts: 134
How are you connected to your network?
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
11:56 AM Liked: 10
post #477 of 657
01-02-2013 | Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoQc View Post

If I choose to buy a soundbar, will I have to leave it on stereo or I'll be able to put it to multichannel?

Yes. Sound bars are only 2.1 stereo. But they are vastly better in quality to the **** speakers on the E550. Sound bars have tweeter speakers and mid sized speakers on the bar for higher pitched sounds and voice and the subwoofer will give you all that bass. The TV speaker I think are only mid sized so they try to output bass and tweeter sounds and it just can't handle all of it so it comes out sounding like poop. wink.gif
TuckeLM's Avatar TuckeLM
11:59 AM Liked: 10
post #478 of 657
01-02-2013 | Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Manangan View Post

hope someone can shed some light that way i know if all those things iv experienced are normal or those my tv needs some servicing/replacement.

I don't think that is normal. My TV runs fine with all those things enabled. If you have a warranty I would just trade it for a new one. Sounds like something is up with your processors. mad.gif
10:28 PM Liked: 11
post #479 of 657
01-02-2013 | Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post

Anybody else get to download the Samsung remote app before it was yanked? I still have the US version on an iPod touch and the Euro version on an iPhone. Gone for good?

Interesting info. That's why I couldn't find it on play store. Is this so they can sell their own physical keyboards. I hope they bring it back because the smart TV is one of the reasons I went with samsung.
TheCloudX's Avatar TheCloudX
12:56 AM Liked: 11
post #480 of 657
01-03-2013 | Posts: 19
I purchased and set up my new Samsung PN51E550 today and thought I would give my review and ask a few questions. Although I'm a "new" member, I've been lurking for awhile and trying to figure out which TV to pull the trigger on. I first want to thank the AVS community. Hands down I used this site more than any other, well maybe not CNET. Great community, and I look forward to following it more as I delve into the Home Theater experience. I'm already picturing surround sound, but that's a ways off.

I've had a Hannspree 32" LCD for a few years now, and I actually really like it, but wanted something bigger for my living room (the 32 is in my bedroom). Like many, I was considering all the options - LCD, LED, Plasma. I wanted Plasma off the bat because of picture quality, but the reports of IR and BI really scared me. I watch a lot of static image television, major news channel, espn, local news, history, etc. If not watching static TV, I'm playing a game on my PS3/360, or watching Netflix, or a movie. All the usual, but a lot of the movies and shows I watch seem to have the black bars, and that further scared me. I initially wanted a Samsung Plasma due to many reports of no IR/BI on them and CNETs article on Samsung vs Panasonic. I was all dead set on getting one until I let my research scare me. It seemed the more I read up on the different models, the more I got concerned. My budget was in the $800 range, and although it can be considered not much for a TV, to me it is. I'm a college student with a year left and every penny is money saved to this very purchase. I psyched myself out so much, I shifted from a Plasma to LED and was about to pull the trigger on the Toshiba 50LS2200U. I went to almost five different big name stores several times while home for the holidays and figured that looked the best and had the best reviews (mainly from here, not much on that TV elsewhere) for the money. I then saw that a big name store had The E550 on sale with 0% financing for 12 months (wont say price or store, but the deal is good for a few more days, pm me if you want to know - don't want to step on toes or break the rules). I've been wanting to get my credit as established and positive as possible before I graduate, so I figured, if they have any left in stock I'll do the deal, pay a little more than I would have for the positive credit line on my report. Sure enough even though the site said they were sold out, they had two in stock. My credit was approved instantly and next thing I knew it, I was unboxing my new TV. I decided to ultimately go with what I initially wanted, so I wouldn't have the feeling of settling. I paid the extra money for Samsung over Panasonic based on a good history of Samsung phones and the reviews online, so again, thanks AVS.

Now the important part. What do I think of the TV? Well, if you're putting it together yourself, make sure you can easily lift and have room to do so. It's a heavy, thin, TV. I think about 40 or so pounds. It installed easy enough, and the start up was a breeze. It discovered my WIFI almost instantly and connected without a problem. Immediately after connecting it checked for a firmware update and updated itself without any trouble - I think it took about 5 minutes. The out of the box setting, as has been discussed, is Standard mode with the light sensing feature on. I promptly changed that over to Cinema and scrolled through my channels. My "cable" as my complex likes to call it, is provided by them and is only connected via the ANT IN cable (can't remember the name of the cable, coax?). I pretty sure every channel is in SD and it looks like it. At first I was disappointed, until I hooked my PS3 up. I put in a few BD and WOW. It's even better than I thought. I changed a few settings to follow that of CNET, but will try a few others to see what I like the best The blu-rays looked fantastic and I couldn't be happier. I then tried out the Smart app. After a few updates, I had Netflix and FishTV working great. FishTV looked amazing. Netflix, on both my TV and PS3, looked dated. I was watching How I Met Your Mother, season 3 (2007ish?) so that could be why. I kept thinking it looked washed out, same thing for the cable. After awhile I got used to it and it didn't bother me as much. If I didn't watch a few parts of some of my favorite BD, I might not have even noticed it as much. I did notice some IR. I left the search screen for YouTube up on my PS3 while pairing it to my phone. I think it was up all of 2 minutes. I noticed it a few minutes later on a very bright screen, after a minute or so, it was gone. So, no biggie thus far. I haven't gamed on it yet. That'll be tomorrow, hopefully. I'll make another post about that.

All in all, the few hours I've put into the TV have been great and I have no remorse over my purchase. I was considering several options, including the UT series Panasonic, but ultimately went with this Samsung. I would highly recommend this TV. Now a few questions.

1. I'm almost certain it's due to being SD from ANT IN for my cable, but would that explain the washed out look? The same settings on BD are amazing.
2. When I get a chance, I'm going to load slides like D-Nice or similar and break in the TV while not being watched. In the meantime, is the Scroll feature even worth it?
3. Has anyone had issues with Netflix not looking as good as it could? I need to try it with other content, but on my desktop I didn't notice the PQ being as eh as it was.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff once I get some rest, but if you have any questions please let me know. Again, thanks for a good community.
Tags: Samsung , Samsung Pn50a550 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread