Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7sena View Post

I really want to like this TV over it's Panasonic counterpart (wifi, glasses included, extra 1") but the more research I do, the more I feel like the UT50 is the better TV.

The thing that really seem to be inferior to the UT50 is black levels and 3D quality. Can anyone offer some testimonials on how the 3D performance is the PNE550?

And an extra HDMI port (panasonic = 2, Samsung = 3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begotten View Post

And an extra HDMI port (panasonic = 2, Samsung = 3)

Non issue for me, I have an AV receiver.

I prefer the larger footprint of the Samsung as it seems to fill out my space better. I wish I could compare these two in normal room lighting (the room it's going in only has one 3x5 window (blinds are almost always closed). I'm also leaning to the Samsung as it's colors do seem to be a bit more saturated and it is less prone to burn-in and image retention.
post #543 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTekNortheast View Post

Panel changes are a big repair, especially for a plasma. make some space for the repair and make sure either you or the technician has a blanket to guard the new screen during the repair (you have no idea how many times I've seen a tech do this repair on a hardwood floor). Also, MAKE SURE the set runs for about 15 to 20 minutes after the repair is done, BEFORE the technician leaves. This "warm-up" process can determine whether the new panel is calibrated correctly, or needs some voltage tweaking to get rid of any diffusion on the screen.

On the plus side, with any Samsung panel, you get all the associated boards used to create the picture (no main board or power supply, but it comes with everything else).

Source: I'm a Certified Samsung Field Engineer.

Thanks for the advice. The install went smoothly. He actually requested I have a table and blanket ready ahead of time. All in all everything went great - until we turned it on. The original dead pixel was gone, obviously, but now there's two dead ones. A green on the side and a red on the side. The tech said to give it 30 days and call Samsung and just ask for a new TV. He specifically said not to mention that the new panel came in with dead pixels. It sounds to me like he's covering himself? I'm almost tempted to call Samsung today and request a new TV. I'm pretty sure this guy is the only certified Tech in my area.
post #544 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I really want to like this TV over it's Panasonic counterpart (wifi, glasses included, extra 1") but the more research I do, the more I feel like the UT50 is the better TV.

The thing that really seem to be inferior to the UT50 is black levels and 3D quality. Can anyone offer some testimonials on how the 3D performance is the PNE550?

I've watched all of one movie on 3D and it was pretty awesome. I'm a noob when it comes to 3D, so I can't speak for much, but Prometheus was fantastic and I had no issues.
post #545 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33 View Post

Just got the E550 today after my 43 inch 720 p samsung plasma had some issue with a green spot. I had it for 1 1/2 years. Best Buy just refunded everything with store credit. The E550 happened to be on sale so I did some researching on it immediately. I really wanted to upgrade to 1080 p so the fact this was at a good price was awesome. The extra features like smart tv and 3d are actually a lot cooler than I thought they would be. What's really funny is that this exact tv, minus the smart tv and 3d features was priced the same amount as the one with the features. They have to be completely idiotic to think someone would buy the one without the features for the same price as the one with all of the extras. Just couldn't really comprehend that. You'd think they'd make it $50-$100 less but whatever.

Anyway can anyone point me in the direction of some 360 and PS3 picture settings? I know that they are different for everyone but I just want to have a starting point and adjust where I think it needs adjusting. I've found HD tv settings just not a whole lot for gaming systems and blu ray movies. If anyone could point me in the direction that would be great. I've spent a lot of time trying to find some and I haven't had much luck as for a starting base. I guess with the time I've spent I probably could have done it myself. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome. Thanks!

These are the settings I have used for all picture/gaming viewing. I really like it during BD viewing and SD TV watching. As far as gaming goes, I have played some - not a lot and like this setting over the two standard settings, but YMMV. This is directly from CNET. There is a gaming mode you can activate in the general settings that I have NOT used. I'm not sure if it's worth it since it specifies that picture quality could be lost. Maybe someone else can chime in if it's worth activating?

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 20
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance: [see below]
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 28
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 26
B-Gain: 26

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Cinema Smooth
post #546 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloudX View Post

I've watched all of one movie on 3D and it was pretty awesome. I'm a noob when it comes to 3D, so I can't speak for much, but Prometheus was fantastic and I had no issues.

How are black levels in a completely dark room. How close does it come to "bezel blending?"
post #547 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:

How are black levels in a completely dark room. How close does it come to "bezel blending?"

Pretty darn close, imo. I watch most of my TV in a dark room and at times I have to actually catch myself trying to find the bezel. If you're looking for it, you can see it but barely. If that makes sense.
post #548 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloudX View Post

These are the settings I have used for all picture/gaming viewing. I really like it during BD viewing and SD TV watching. As far as gaming goes, I have played some - not a lot and like this setting over the two standard settings, but YMMV. This is directly from CNET. There is a gaming mode you can activate in the general settings that I have NOT used. I'm not sure if it's worth it since it specifies that picture quality could be lost. Maybe someone else can chime in if it's worth activating?

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 20
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance: [see below]
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 28
G-Offset: 26
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 26
B-Gain: 26

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Cinema Smooth

Really appreciate it. Could anyone tell me why my Cinema Smooth is greyed out? I tried to set that option and it doesn't let me.
post #549 of 657 Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33 View Post

Really appreciate it. Could anyone tell me why my Cinema Smooth is greyed out? I tried to set that option and it doesn't let me.

No problem, to get Cinema Smooth to show up, you have to be in an 1080p/24 source, typically from a Blu-ray player (if it's a 60 source it'll be grayed out). It worked on my PS3.
post #550 of 657 Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Awesome! When I was looking for that option I was on HDMI one, which is my HD cable. Anyway thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it.
post #551 of 657 Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 AM

I started out with the PN51E530. Beautiful picture. I contemplated keeping it, but I really couldn't stand the motion blur or the judder in panning scenes. Switched to the PN51E550.
The motion blur is more or less gone, but I still get a bit of a judder in panning scenes. I haven't seen anyone else complain about, so is it perhaps just my setup or settings?

I notice it when I watch Netflix from my PS3 as well as regular tv (mostly HD) from my IP tv box. The tv box is a Telus Optic unit putting out 1080i.

I have heard that netflix can be a crap shoot, but even if I am getting a poor frame-rate from the netflix feed, should the TV not interpolate and smooth out this motion?

Right now I am using movie mode and have both digital and MPEG filters set to off, and film mode set to auto 1.

Does anyone else have a noticeable panning jutter? Any other settings I should change to help with this?
post #552 of 657 Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:

I had the Panasonic UT50 and I can tell you the black levels on the Panasonic hands down destroy the Samsung. The Panasonics blacks are as black as the bezel around the tv my samsung blacks seem greyish to me and are dissapointing. I cant tell you about the 3d sorry. Now the reason I ended up with the Samsung is my Panasonic got burn in and yes I do mean burn in not image retention. I play BF3 on ps3 alot and the ammo counter burnt into my screen. The reason I ended up with the Samsung I went to exchange my Pansonic at bestbuy was told they still have 1 ut50 instock they didnt had the samsung in stock for the same price.So i took a chance on the Samsung do I hate it no am I a little dissapointed yes.However the Samsung has no IR at all when the pansonic would have IR after pulling up the menu for just 1 sec and I had over 150hrs on the set. Oh yeah the Panasonic has a sharper picture in IMO the Samsung looks more washed out to me.I will stay with the Samsung for 2 reason no IR and I really dont want to have to carry it back down 3 flights of stairs by myself and take it back to bestbuy.I am hoping to find a way to make the blacks deeper. Thats the only big issue I have with this tv.

Here are the pros I see to the Samsung.
1. NO IR atleast with my set
2.I love the swivel stand and looks of the tv
3.color looks good but kinda washed out
4.more hdmi/usb inputs
5.IR scroll bar stays on until you shut it off
6.more adjustments in the menu over the panny
7.bigger then the 50" panny
8.motion but honestly panasonic ut50 motion is better
9.2 glasses and wi fi pansonic you have to buy glasses extra and wi fi dongle extra

cons
1.Black levels seem grey to me and not inky at all
2.colors not as sharp or pop as much
3. not as bright as the panny
post #553 of 657 Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu doon View Post

I had the Panasonic UT50 and I can tell you the black levels on the Panasonic hands down destroy the Samsung. The Panasonics blacks are as black as the bezel around the tv my samsung blacks seem greyish to me and are dissapointing. I cant tell you about the 3d sorry. Now the reason I ended up with the Samsung is my Panasonic got burn in and yes I do mean burn in not image retention. I play BF3 on ps3 alot and the ammo counter burnt into my screen. The reason I ended up with the Samsung I went to exchange my Pansonic at bestbuy was told they still have 1 ut50 instock they didnt had the samsung in stock for the same price.So i took a chance on the Samsung do I hate it no am I a little dissapointed yes.However the Samsung has no IR at all when the pansonic would have IR after pulling up the menu for just 1 sec and I had over 150hrs on the set. Oh yeah the Panasonic has a sharper picture in IMO the Samsung looks more washed out to me.I will stay with the Samsung for 2 reason no IR and I really dont want to have to carry it back down 3 flights of stairs by myself and take it back to bestbuy.I am hoping to find a way to make the blacks deeper. Thats the only big issue I have with this tv.

4.more hdmi/usb inputs
9.2 glasses and wi fi pansonic you have to buy glasses extra and wi fi dongle extra

cons

Thanks for your input.

I just have a couple questions though...

1) Have you adjusted any of the picture settings on your set (either one)?
2) How is your room lighting?
post #554 of 657 Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu doon View Post

4.more hdmi/usb inputs

cons

If you have a best buy warranty, they should be able to do the tv swap for you. When my ST30 went bad, they came here, diagnosed it, and offered to haul it back and bring a new one but I chose to do it myself since I wanted it done asap, not a week later when their schedule permitted. I too went from the Panny to the Samsung...but now I'm back to Panny (ST50). The samsung was the tv that best matched the specs of the st30 and price was within the value of the panny so I took a chance with it but the samsung simply did not do it for me. The colors and picture just didn't match that of the Pannasonic and it bothered me every time I watched stuff on it. The ST50 is friggin awesome now. I'm glad I swapped back and my sister is too since she got the samsung LOL.
post #555 of 657 Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your input.

I just have a couple questions though...

1) Have you adjusted any of the picture settings on your set (either one)?
2) How is your room lighting?

Yes both were adjusted but out of the box the panasonic blacks are black as bezel and samsung are blackinsh grey.
My room lighting is adjustable and I can get it to pitch black. I usually watch my movies in 0-5% lighting and thats when you can really see the difference in the blacks on the samsung. I plan on getting some biased lighting for behind to the tv so that way the blacks look better on the samsung. Oh and I finally tested the 3d today on the samsung using my only 3d movie right now The Avengers and IMO the samsung plays 3d waaaay better than the panasonic

The bottom line IMO if you want the best 2d picture with the deepest blacks for watching movies and your picking between these 2 sets I would recommend the panasonic all the way.However if you plan on using it for gaming and 3d I would recommend the samsung. Just because of the IR/burn in problems I had with the panasonic set I have never seen anything like it it was soo bad like when plasma 1st came out and I have owned multiple plasmas. The samsung is a very good set I am not hating it or anything I actually really like it but unfortunately I had the ut50 first for almost a month so it was a step back in picture quality imo if I bought the samsung first I prob would have never really thought like the blacks were not black enough.
post #556 of 657 Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

If you have a best buy warranty, they should be able to do the tv swap for you. When my ST30 went bad, they came here, diagnosed it, and offered to haul it back and bring a new one but I chose to do it myself since I wanted it done asap, not a week later when their schedule permitted. I too went from the Panny to the Samsung...but now I'm back to Panny (ST50). The samsung was the tv that best matched the specs of the st30 and price was within the value of the panny so I took a chance with it but the samsung simply did not do it for me. The colors and picture just didn't match that of the Pannasonic and it bothered me every time I watched stuff on it. The ST50 is friggin awesome now. I'm glad I swapped back and my sister is too since she got the samsung LOL.

Thanks for letting me know but I am happy with the Samsung even tho I liked the PQ on Panasonic better but IR/burn in is a deal breaker for me and I dont want to risk getting another ut50 with as bad IR/burn in as my first one. I am big time gamer so samsung is good for me since no IR at all at least on my set and my other plasmas are samsung and never really had a problem with them except had to get a panel replaced once while under warranty
post #557 of 657 Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J252 View Post

I started out with the PN51E530. Beautiful picture. I contemplated keeping it, but I really couldn't stand the motion blur or the judder in panning scenes. Switched to the PN51E550.
The motion blur is more or less gone, but I still get a bit of a judder in panning scenes. I haven't seen anyone else complain about, so is it perhaps just my setup or settings?

I notice it when I watch Netflix from my PS3 as well as regular tv (mostly HD) from my IP tv box. The tv box is a Telus Optic unit putting out 1080i.

I have heard that netflix can be a crap shoot, but even if I am getting a poor frame-rate from the netflix feed, should the TV not interpolate and smooth out this motion?

Right now I am using movie mode and have both digital and MPEG filters set to off, and film mode set to auto 1.

Does anyone else have a noticeable panning jutter? Any other settings I should change to help with this?

I have been playing with the settings some more, and I can't seem to get rid of the panning jutter (judder?). I guess I expected to be able to smooth out the motion much like LG's Truemotion interpolation does on their older LCD's.
Even 24 FPS Blueray sources jutter a bit (both with cinema mode on or off).
I tried my IP TV box via component instead of hdmi and its still there. Film mode "auto 1" or "auto 2" don't seem to help.

Are there perhaps any motion interpolation or smoothing settings buried in the service menu? Seems hard to believe that a 5 year old LG LCD can handle motion better than this more modern plasma.
post #558 of 657 Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM

I just purchased the Samsung PN 51E550 and also have panning judder on some Netflix movies. It is especially bad in movies infested by the shaking camera syndrome so popular in movies these days. I hooked up a Panasonic Blu-ray player with Netlix streaming and this eliminated the judder issue. Judder is also a problem when playing mkv or mp4 files that I created as backups to Blu-ray discs. It is a good basic TV but the media player and streaming functions are deficient.
post #559 of 657 Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM

Pulled the trigger on the E550 and I just have a couple questions.

1) Can I immediately start using Movie mode?

2) Is Avatar a good movie for break-in?
post #560 of 657 Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM

I have had the E550 for about 5 days. I use the CNET calibration settings in Movie mode and play as much full screen programming as possible. Between viewings I run an MP4 file I downloaded from You Tube that runs a series of images designed to vary the input to the phosphors. The picture is excellent in a darkened room and so far no issues with image retention. My only complaints center around the allshare system and Netflix streaming. I have had experience with the WD TV Live media player and that is a far superior solution to streaming and playback of mp4 and mkv files as well as music files.
post #561 of 657 Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Has anyone else noticed that on some HD content, there is some flickering pixels on this set? It is mostly noticeable over my cable signal on darker scenes. I can't really tell from regular viewing distance, but it is noticeable close up. Is this normal?
post #562 of 657 Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Bought a new PN51E550D1FXZA today after returning an Insignia 55" LED that had horrible input lag paid $699 for it at BB. So far I love it and as for gaming no noticeable lag at all COD plays like a champ. Cant wait to try out some of the calibration settings above. Great TV for a great price! biggrin.gif
post #563 of 657 Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindshank View Post

Bought a new PN51E550D1FXZA today after returning an Insignia 55" LED that had horrible input lag paid $699 for it at BB. So far I love it and as for gaming no noticeable lag at all COD plays like a champ. Cant wait to try out some of the calibration settings above. Great TV for a great price! biggrin.gif

I recently bought the E550 as well. Do you notice any flickering pixels in darks scenes on yours as well?

BTW how did you like the Insignia (PQ wise). I believe it's currently 679.99 at Best Buy. I was considering it as well for my new TV purchase.
post #564 of 657 Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Haven't noticed any flickering pixels, but i did like the Insignia PQ wise, I watched Pulp Fiction on BR and it was beautiful, I actually wish it would've worked playing games but it was bad in the range of 250 ms of input lag though. If that wouldn't have been an issue i surely would of kept it. But I definitely like my E550 though!
post #565 of 657 Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindshank View Post

Haven't noticed any flickering pixels, but i did like the Insignia PQ wise, I watched Pulp Fiction on BR and it was beautiful, I actually wish it would've worked playing games but it was bad in the range of 250 ms of input lag though. If that wouldn't have been an issue i surely would of kept it. But I definitely like my E550 though!

I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal or not. I can't see the effect from normal veiwing distance, but it's very noticeable up close.
post #566 of 657 Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal or not. I can't see the effect from normal veiwing distance, but it's very noticeable up close.
Make sure that Pixel Shift is off and Picture Size is on Screen Fit
post #567 of 657 Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 12
I cannot decide if I should go with the 64E550 or the 60E7000... any suggestions? I am coming from a 58C500 that the panel went bad in and looking at these two. I do not care about the screen size difference or the dual core processor of the E7000 has. I am more interested in knowing if the 550 series is prone to having more issues with their panels over the panels in the E7000. I hated when my C500 gave me the purple haze across a light screen and do not want that again. I know times have changed but if anyone knows if the panels in the E7000 are superior to the 550 other than using a real black pro panel and if Samsung made any improvements on panel designs so I do not have to replace it again in two years.
post #568 of 657 Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM

My father-in-law just bought one of these yesterday. We did the software update, but now it keeps popping up a "New update found. Please turn off power and then turn back on to update" message. However, if you turn it off and then back on, you soon get the message again. I have checked for a new update, and we have the most recent update. Any suggestions for how to stop the pop-up? It comes every few minutes.
post #569 of 657 Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Liked: 17
Just updated to 1026. Anybody have any info on this update?
post #570 of 657 Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Updated to 1026 but don't see anything different either. Google didn't help. rolleyes.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Pn50a550 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page