The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 657 Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I may be returning this for a Panasonic or a different model? I have noticed that hd programs look great that are in 1080i but 720p looks terrible to me and the sd definition is horrible, The brightness of this tv is like an LED and it is nearly impossible to dial it down without clipping the contrast levels. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 657 Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM

UPDATE: I swapped out this 60E550 for a Panasonic 60UT50 and I am BLOWN Away by the picture difference! This Panasonic blows this tv out of the water. The Blacks are way deeper and there is No Cell Light just contrast control so it's easier to calibrate and I got a deal I couldn't turn down and walk away paying less and a better deal in my opinion. Im not bashing Samsung by any means. My last Plasma 58c550 was amazing to me until it got the dreaded "Purple Haze" syndrome and had to be replaced. Good Luck
post #603 of 657 Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 11
Hey everyone, so I've noticed something a little funky about my set... Whenever I use 3D, depending on the scene, the picture tends to shift from natural color to everything having a blue/green tint, and then back again. It's kinda similar to having Dynamic Contrast enabled, except that option obviously isn't on for me. The color shifts happen most often in darker environments, or scenes with a lot of differences in lighting. I have all the typical offending post-processing options disabled, so I'm not quite sure where to begin. The 3D settings are very similar to my 2D settings, and 2D doesn't have the issue whatsoever.

Anyone know what the problem is here? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
post #604 of 657 Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM

I am looking for a tv to replace my 32" lcd. I use my tv mostly for playing games and watching videos on my 360. Would anybody suggest the Samsung PN51E550 for $700 at Best Buy. The other tv I am looking at is the LG 55LS4500 for $700 at Best Buy. I was just wondering what tv is better for my needs.
post #605 of 657 Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM

The Samsung is the better tv, but look at Panasonic plasmas.
Our Samsung plasma was PN51E550 but got tired of dealing with all the issues.
From screen going to red tint (power supply) was the issue, to smart hub sucks. Lots of issues with smart hub.
Also had the ethernet port die on the tv.
We bought the 55 inch version of this
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P65VT50
Blows my Old Samsung plasma away.
I also noticed the lower line of panasonic tv (ut product line) has a better picture than Samsung.

I guess my biggest issue with Samsung is how bad and lack of Tech Support.
They are the worst!
Do your research on other brands esp the tech support side.
It really put a bad tast in my mouth from the way Samsung treaded us cause if thier F'd up tv.
Never worked right out of the box.
post #606 of 657 Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post

The other tv I am looking at is the LG 55LS4500 for $700 at Best Buy.

I started out with a LG 47LS4500. I didn't like it at all. Terrible motion handling (older LG's were much better). The colours weren't nearly as satisfying as the Samsung Plasma and the blacks were nearly grey.
Also, the back-lighting was very uneven, (noticeable in dark scenes) with far more light around the edge than the middle. I returned it and ended up with the Samsung for little more money.

The Samsung PNE550 is very far from perfect, but is much better than the LG LED LS4500.
post #607 of 657 Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
when you switch from LCD to plasma it's great at first , but after a while you find the plasma has a few minor problems as they're not perfect , just not quite as much as LCD.
And it does not solve all lifes problems.
post #608 of 657 Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 AM

Guys, can someone check to see if the scrolling feature for screen burn is now "not available"? Yesterday Samsung must have been screwing around with their servers (I received a popup notice about that). There was then a quick firmware update that I installed. Today, the firmware update function is grayed out as is the screen burn scrolling feature. What gives?
post #609 of 657 Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post

Guys, can someone check to see if the scrolling feature for screen burn is now "not available"? Yesterday Samsung must have been screwing around with their servers (I received a popup notice about that). There was then a quick firmware update that I installed. Today, the firmware update function is grayed out as is the screen burn scrolling feature. What gives?

Edit, after restart, scrolling and update work, but "setup" is grayed out. Must be a firmware glitch.
post #610 of 657 Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Just purchased the PN51E550, haven't taken it out the of box yet as I'm waiting for the stand to be delivered.
Sonax SB-6580

What 3D player pairs well with this TV?
The player need not be a Smart version correct, the TV has that function.

Should I extend the manufacturer warranty with Square Trade or from Samsung?

Thanks!
post #611 of 657 Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM

So I'm using the picture settings from a couple pages back for each of the sources on my TV. Well today I'm playing PS3 and I noticed that the settings were nothing like I had been playing them on two days ago. I'm not sure what the hell happened but I looked at the settings and the picture mode called Entertain was selected and brightened up like none other. I had no idea there was a mode called Entertain. So I go to try and change the mode back to movie and the only other option was to choose standard. So basically Movie isn't showing up when I try to change the settings. On Entertain and Standard there were also a few settings that I couldn't adjust. Does anyone know why this would have happened? I'm pretty angry because I had the settings perfectly how I wanted them and I pop in The Show 13 and I notice it's completely changed when I haven't adjusted anything.

Also, for sh*t$ and Gigs I went to see if I could select Game mode. Well I go to that option and it's greyed out, when before I would have been able to put it in game mode if I really wanted to. Any help on this would be really appreciated. I am really hoping I can get this figured out.

Edit:

NVM I figured out that I had my HDMI plugged into the main port in the back of the TV. I switched it to the 3rd port and the picture can now be adjusted.
post #612 of 657 Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvindd View Post

Just purchased the PN51E550, haven't taken it out the of box yet as I'm waiting for the stand to be delivered.
Sonax SB-6580

What 3D player pairs well with this TV?
The player need not be a Smart version correct, the TV has that function.

Should I extend the manufacturer warranty with Square Trade or from Samsung?

Thanks!

I find my PS3 works great for 3D content. The TV does have Smart features. I found them to be slow and not as responsive as it is on my PS3 or 360, but ymmv.
Mindshank likes this.
post #613 of 657 Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1968 View Post

I guess my biggest issue with Samsung is how bad and lack of Tech Support.
They are the worst!

I just came across this thread, I own a PN60E550. never called support on it however I had called about the BD-E5900 3D Blu ray player that was bundled with this TV. I might as well have been calling about a toaster, those people are 100% clueless.

post #614 of 657 Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
For those that have a ps3i just wanted to add that the smart features available on it are much faster compared to the tv comparable smart features on the TV. But the kicker is that the slim ps3 uses as much power as turning on the smart hub based upon the wattage read out on my ups.
post #615 of 657 Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Ive had this tv for a week and so far I love it. Im thinking about getting a Best Buy protection but I don't know if it is worth it or not. I paid $700 for it and I could get a 1 year replacement plan for $100, 2 years $170, 3 years $200. Do you guys suggest if I should get a plan? If so, what plan should I get?
post #616 of 657 Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM

I have a question CinemaSmooth versus 'PC Mode'. I play all my movie content through plex from a mac mini connected via HDMI 1 which I've named to 'PC' as instructed to allow the PC mode to kick in. Now plex has the ability to set the refresh rate of the display to match the content, so when 24p content is played, it kicks the TV out of 'PC' mode and I have the ability to set 'CinemaSmooth' and more picture calibration options.

I believe I roughly understand the technical implications of each:
- PC mode allows for more direct pixel matching from the computer's video card output and results in smoother fonts, and also gives more control of colour and picture calibration to the computer (many options in TV are disabled)

- CinemaSmooth matches the refresh rate of the TV to the 24frames/second content, resulting in a smoother/more movie looking picture.

My question is, what would users recommend? Is the 'sharpness' of PC mode more beneficial than the smoothness of CinemaSmooth for watching HD content, or is 'PC mode' more for just using the screen as a monitor for text content?

Appreciate hearing your experiences.
post #617 of 657 Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM

Just wanted to make a quick update about my TV. I'm now on my second and a half set. As I mentioned earlier, the first set started to have multiple dead pixels. After dealing with Samsung tech support, they approved a panel change. After a two week wait, the tech came out and swapped the panels. The new one (which is why I say half) had, again, multiple dead pixels. Called Samsung immediately - even though the tech said not to - and had to jump through hoops for a replacement TV (literally weeks of calling them back and forth talking to "higher ups").

My latest unit has 1 dead pixel. I've decided to keep it - for now, I'm hoping it'll go away as it has lightened up some - since this has been a 2 month ordeal and 1 pixel wont kill me. What bugs me, though, is the picture quality is drastically different on this TV. While the CNET provided settings were great on my other unit, they seem dull on this one. I've literally spent over 3 hours trying to calibrate this one and I'm still not satisfied. It only has about 200 hours on it, so I'm still hoping for improved quality but my first one had excellent quality by this point.

I've noticed others also have problems with dead pixels. Admittedly, I'm very disappointed in Samsung right now.
post #618 of 657 Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM

Hi am new here and have no idea where i should post my question, i am from Australia and i have a self caused problem. I own a Samsung PN64E550 and i had trouble out of the box with the blacks looking like a very dark brown, I had a Samsung tech call over and he said that he could not see anything wrong with it, after many phone calls and arguments i still have the problem because of a tech that would not do his job properly, i asked for a different tech but was refused. So out of frustration i got into the service menu and fiddled with the settings hoping to correct the problem, unfortunately i have made the picture not worst but rather dim, i fiddled with the menu in ADC/WB > White Balance settings and now i cannot for the life of me get the picture to look lively, although it never was a good picture from new. So my question is is there somewhere where i can get all the settings for the service menu for this particular Plasma unit. Or can somebody please be kind enough to maybe look into their service menu and let me know what the settings are, i can't afford to get my self a tech as i am a pensioner and i know for sure that Samsung now will not touch the TV, which is understandable now that i broke the warranty. If anyone does get into the service menu, please do not fiddle around with the settings. Oh by the way i am in Melbourne Australia which of course makes the tv a pal RGB.

Thanks in advance.
Charlie.
post #619 of 657 Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Service menu restored to it's original settings, but things are back to their horrible best with my Samsung plasma, the PQ is a disgrace with the piece of crap called Samsung. So sorry that i bought another samsung, never again will i touch any samsung product. Buyer beware.
post #620 of 657 Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Hello everyone, I have the 51e550 and am very happy with this set. My only question is how do I access the "Advanced" settings in the service menu. I want to turn off auto dimming in it. I've tried the "0000" code but it still won't let me in. Before anyone asks, yes I have all ECO settings and Motion Lighting set to off but I'm still getting a random dim.Thanks in advance. HELP!
post #621 of 657 Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
post #622 of 657 Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Does this TV buzz out of the box if it buzzes?
No sir, it does not. It does however have kick ass PQ and glare issues are minor and no worse than the set you are replacing.

Although it does suck to discover your AVR is not compatible with 3d but I guess you can plug your PS3 directly into the set and lose the external audio or take the hit on the 3D and enjoy the smoking PQ until you need a 3d ready AVR?
post #623 of 657 Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody here have a baseline setting for the 2d to 3d conversion stuff?
post #624 of 657 Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Anybody here have a baseline setting for the 2d to 3d conversion stuff?

It looks like you will have to adjust on per viewing basis. It's kind of a bummer. Keep in mind that this plasma is such an improvement over your last set that you should probably just learn to cope.
post #625 of 657 Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday I could browse my PC server with no app. Today I can't and I think I have to use this All Share software, is that right?
post #626 of 657 Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 PM

The way to get into the service menu is this way. Make sure that the tv is in standby, then in quick succession press these buttons INFO MENU MUTE POWER, and for heavens sake don't do what i did, DO NOT FIDDLE WITH ANY OF THE SETTINGS, also remember that once you get into the service menu, you lose all the user settings, i would recommend to also write down the original settings that you intend to change, so you can reset them back to the factory settings if it don't improve anything. Also remember this, DO NOT USE THE RIGHT/LEFT BUTTONS ON THE REMOTE AS THAT WILL CHANGE THE SETTINGS., on whatever is highlighted on the menu.
post #627 of 657 Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM

The way to get into the service menu is this way. Make sure that the tv is in standby, then in quick succession press these buttons INFO MENU MUTE POWER, and for heavens sake don't do what i did, DO NOT FIDDLE WITH ANY OF THE SETTINGS, also remember that once you get into the service menu, you lose all the user settings, i would recommend to also write down the original settings that you intend to change, so you can reset them back to the factory settings if it don't improve anything. Also remember this, DO NOT USE THE RIGHT/LEFT BUTTONS ON THE REMOTE AS THAT WILL CHANGE THE SETTINGS., on whatever is highlighted on the menu.
post #628 of 657 Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Medrano View Post

Hello everyone, I have the 51e550 and am very happy with this set. My only question is how do I access the "Advanced" settings in the service menu. I want to turn off auto dimming in it. I've tried the "0000" code but it still won't let me in. Before anyone asks, yes I have all ECO settings and Motion Lighting set to off but I'm still getting a random dim.Thanks in advance. HELP!

post #629 of 657 Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply but I can get into the service menu fine. It's the Advanced option in the service menu I can't get into.
post #630 of 657 Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 17
I bought one of these units (51e550) and im happy with it...it replaces a 55st50 with a burn in that I take back to BB,for now...no buzzing...just and incredible picture that I like more than the panosonic exept blacks!!!
Mindshank likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Pn50a550 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page