still an awesome set:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 657 Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, just a quick update, there is a new Samsung product out called 'Smart Evolution' that upgrades your old 2012 Samsung to the new 2013 Hub with much faster load times and interaction. UNFORTUNATELY this plasma the E550 isn't compatible mad.gif so we are stuck with the old 2012 hub for the rest of eternity! eek.gif

Or you could just buy an android powered smart USB like pocket TV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-S1JBgBKLI cool.gif
post #633 of 657 Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Loaded this on my PN60E550.

The version is 1031.4
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Resolve issue netflix doesn''t log on

- Support Verizon Apps

- Support Netflix 3.2 codec

- Resolves picture shaking and line noise on 1080p source.

- Supports Yahoo SyncPlus app..

- Resolves escaping issue while watching movie on VUDU.

- Resolves issue Cinemanow does not play certain title.

- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports Samsung wireless Audio Dock

- Solves the problem closed caption does not show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #634 of 657 Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Still getting mediocre DLNA over wifi. On a wire it's better. The TV just refuses to see the servers reliably. The Plex app is pretty reliable BUT seems to choke on HD stuff unless you dial down the local transcoding. I get better quality using Serviio but getting the TV to see the damn server is problematic. Never had these issues while using a PS3 to do all this. Wife has even told me to put the PS3 back in the living room so the Amazon app works for Downton Abbey.

post #635 of 657 Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Still getting mediocre DLNA over wifi. On a wire it's better. The TV just refuses to see the servers reliably. The Plex app is pretty reliable BUT seems to choke on HD stuff unless you dial down the local transcoding. I get better quality using Serviio but getting the TV to see the damn server is problematic. Never had these issues while using a PS3 to do all this. Wife has even told me to put the PS3 back in the living room so the Amazon app works for Downton Abbey.
She does know the TV has Netflix/Hulu/amazon etc built into it right?

That being said I prefer to use the ps3 due to occasional issue of improper zoom, better video due to qdeo processing from the receiver and using aps3 slim with TV actually used less power than running the TV with smart hub. Oh and the ps3 supports DD+
post #636 of 657 Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

She does know the TV has Netflix/Hulu/amazon etc built into it right?

That being said I prefer to use the ps3 due to occasional issue of improper zoom, better video due to qdeo processing from the receiver and using aps3 slim with TV actually used less power than running the TV with smart hub. Oh and the ps3 supports DD+
Precisely where the problem is. One minute of show one minute of spinning circle of buffer. Never happens on the PS3 or the PC. I will say Serviio is all kinds of stable on the PS3 side too.

post #637 of 657 Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 AM

I see the spinning circle after about the 2nd episode. I think it's either memory issue on the TV or it just sucks when available band with drops down due to no dynamic picture scaling.

And getting a roku it similar seems kind of pointless since most is built into the TV frown.gif
post #638 of 657 Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

I see the spinning circle after about the 2nd episode. I think it's either memory issue on the TV or it just sucks when available band with drops down due to no dynamic picture scaling.

And getting a roku it similar seems kind of pointless since most is built into the TV frown.gif
Yeah the sets apps are not quite awesome yet. FWIW the same behavior occurs on my launch 360 regarding Amazon Instant at least. It just sucks on that platform. We use those services and I'm tempted to get a Roku or a Bluray player to bypass the TV apps. Just can't justify the small cost right now.

post #639 of 657 Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Yeah the sets apps are not quite awesome yet. FWIW the same behavior occurs on my launch 360 regarding Amazon Instant at least. It just sucks on that platform. We use those services and I'm tempted to get a Roku or a Bluray player to bypass the TV apps. Just can't justify the small cost right now.
I vote another ps3. Best interfaces for those services it has amongst any device I have seen
post #640 of 657 Old 08-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 11
I just bought this TV from my friend and it has the flickering horizontal black lines problem. If I remove and Disable SyncPlus and update the firmware to 1034.2 will it fix the black lines problem?
post #641 of 657 Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralZod024 View Post

I just bought this TV from my friend and it has the flickering horizontal black lines problem. If I remove and Disable SyncPlus and update the firmware to 1034.2 will it fix the black lines problem?
Not sure you can remove it but the option is there to turn it off. There shouldn't be any harm in updating the firmware either.
GeneralZod024 likes this.

post #642 of 657 Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks
post #643 of 657 Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 PM

I've got a 51e550 and had a few issues with MKV files not playing through the set's native media player function - usually things like "file not supported" etc.
In South Africa we seem to be on a firmware version that is pretty far behind (1018).

Is it possible to update a set from this region with the US Firmware?
Will the updated US firmware provide better playback compatability for more recent MKV and audio codecs?
Is there any other way I can enable additional support for MKV files through say, the service menu?

Thanks
post #644 of 657 Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Does anyone know if this set supports PAL? Nothing in the documentation or on Samsungs site.
post #645 of 657 Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Has anyone else had buffering problems with HD YouTube content streaming over wifi to the TV? I can usually get about 3-5 min of video before it plays a few seconds and then buffers a few seconds. I am using a Netgear wifi range extender connected via cat 5 cable from tv to repeater. Tried just wifi from tv to main wifi router and I get the same result. My bandwidth is around 5 Mbps at the repeater.
post #646 of 657 Old 08-12-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDLexus View Post

Has anyone else had buffering problems with HD YouTube content streaming over wifi to the TV? I can usually get about 3-5 min of video before it plays a few seconds and then buffers a few seconds. I am using a Netgear wifi range extender connected via cat 5 cable from tv to repeater. Tried just wifi from tv to main wifi router and I get the same result. My bandwidth is around 5 Mbps at the repeater.

My experience with the 60 inch model is that it sucks on Wifi. I wired it in and all the apps started to work as expected but still not great. Love the TV but the apps stink with the exception of its DLNA and Serviio. It will play a folder and I don't have to go tell it to play the next title like I do everywhere else.

post #647 of 657 Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM

I have a problem with my PN60E550. When I put the cell light high like to 15 I can't change channels either by pressing up or down or inputing numbers. I know its not a battery issue, I'm using new batteries in my remote. Its just when the cell light is high the TV doesn't read signals from the remote. Its fixed when I put the cell light lower. Unfortunately I like the cell light high at 15 or higher. Anyone else heard of this issue before?
post #648 of 657 Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybli View Post

I have a problem with my PN60E550. When I put the cell light high like to 15 I can't change channels either by pressing up or down or inputing numbers. I know its not a battery issue, I'm using new batteries in my remote. Its just when the cell light is high the TV doesn't read signals from the remote. Its fixed when I put the cell light lower. Unfortunately I like the cell light high at 15 or higher. Anyone else heard of this issue before?
Try one of the android apps over WiFi. If that works then it may be something else
post #649 of 657 Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM

Hi,

Are you having any issues with outputting sound via your toslink to your receiver? It seems like I read somewhere that there can be issue with this TV and certain surround sound standards not being supported over the toslink output.

Any details about your surround sound performance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #650 of 657 Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 AM

I have a PN60E550D1F and the picture went out but the sound still works. I've taken the back off and all the capacitors look good. There are no signs of excessive heat or burning on the boards. I'm guessing the x or y sustain boards are the problem but I don't know how to test them to confirm. Any ideas? Thx
Edit: it was both
post #651 of 657 Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When was your TV built ( if I could ask )? Was it covered under warrantee? Thanks
post #652 of 657 Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This well documented.....on all remotes ( not just yours ). There is "Light interference" probably....Try another remote. The one you have may be a bit too light sensitive.
post #653 of 657 Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Nearly a year with the set and I'm still happy. Any buzz is gone after a few minutes of warming up and it's only audible in one spot in the living room which no one sits in. We've disconnected Directv and are relying on OTA for a handful of locals and just the built in apps for Netflix, Amazon, etc. Plex is a must have although the quality is lacking over other server apps like Serviio. Plex has the GUI locked up so it wins with the wife and kid. We do see Smart Hub go unresponsive from time to time and rebooting the TV fixes that. If I have to knock it it would be for glare and the occasional period of unresponsiveness otherwise HD/Blu looks fantastic. Built in audio is weak, not surprising, so we pipe optical into the AVR and have not seen any issue with it passing any format. I'd have no problem buying this set again or suggesting a friend to go with one either.

post #654 of 657 Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM

My PN64E550 just died: we were watching TiVo, and suddenly everything went down. The circuit breaker was the first thing I checked, and it was fine. I then checked power to the system, and there was none. So I then traced the problem to my surge protector (a high-end Monster unit), and it was no longer supplying power to the system. Figuring this was the problem, I replaced it with a Panamax power management unit. Upon setting it up, everything powered up but my tv. No standby light, nothing. And of course, it's 16 days out of warranty.

I have a service call in to Samsung, but until then, any ideas?

Thanks, Dave
post #655 of 657 Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhhavs View Post

My PN64E550 just died: we were watching TiVo, and suddenly everything went down. The circuit breaker was the first thing I checked, and it was fine. I then checked power to the system, and there was none. So I then traced the problem to my surge protector (a high-end Monster unit), and it was no longer supplying power to the system. Figuring this was the problem, I replaced it with a Panamax power management unit. Upon setting it up, everything powered up but my tv. No standby light, nothing. And of course, it's 16 days out of warranty.

I have a service call in to Samsung, but until then, any ideas?

Thanks, Dave

Sounds like my luck. Hope it's an easy fix.

post #656 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 AM

Hey guys,

I've got the 64". Anyone have bad macroblocking during dimly lit scenes, specifically grays, shadows, etc. Things in that palette. Grey's Anatomy is particularly bad, because they film in pretty low lighting since it's supposed to be a hospital. I'd say MOST things are fine, especially anything daylight or scenes that have a good amount of light.

I'm thinking it's the source material. I've played a couple Blurays and I don't see the blocking, but that doesn't necessarily prove that it's the source.

FYI, we have FiOS. The firmware has been updated to 002001.

Thanks,
Justin
post #657 of 657 Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmiller621 View Post

Hey guys,

I've got the 64". Anyone have bad macroblocking during dimly lit scenes, specifically grays, shadows, etc. Things in that palette. Grey's Anatomy is particularly bad, because they film in pretty low lighting since it's supposed to be a hospital. I'd say MOST things are fine, especially anything daylight or scenes that have a good amount of light.

I'm thinking it's the source material. I've played a couple Blurays and I don't see the blocking, but that doesn't necessarily prove that it's the source.

FYI, we have FiOS. The firmware has been updated to 002001.

Thanks,
Justin

I'd throw my vote into the source hat. Directv was really "bad" about that on all channels. My HD OTA channels are very close to blurays as well with only the sub channels ever showing any blocking. Stuff on Amazon Prime has it from time to time as well.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Pn50a550 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page