The OFFICIAL SAMSUNG PNXXE550 OWNERS THREAD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 657 Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This question might belong in a more general thread, but has anyone considered a QWERTY remote for this TV? The reviews for a Samsung device on Amazon are pretty bad (and useless with YouTube, which is my #1 concern). I see a Logitech Revue, but the cost seems like a waste when it repeats some of the Apps on my Samsung. I heavily considered a Vizio not long ago because of their QWERTY remotes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 657 Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

I haven't played around with the Smart stuff but I do notice that the controller is super picky about the angle you hold it and press a button. If i hold it at a 45 degree angle, it will not work. It has to be straight at the tv. So weird. My panny's remote would work in the bathroom if I tried...LOL.
Yeah the 3D on this tv is really nice. I watched Avatar a few times and it's almost as if you are "there", especially if it's pitch black around you and you sit somewhat close to the tv.

I've noticed the same with the remote. Not only does it need to be pointed at the TV but I have to point it at the bottom left corner to be sure the command will be received. Trying to use the web browser with the remote was even more painful so I'm going to get a Bluetooth or at least USB, keyboard/mouse before I really try to use it again. But, I continue to be blown away by the picture on my "little" 51 inch set. Maybe it's just me getting older but I don't find myself analyzing every aspect of the picture these days. I just enjoy what I'm watching rather than constantly trying to see whether I'm getting the blackest black levels and such.

-Chris
post #183 of 657 Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhobo View Post

I've noticed the same with the remote. Not only does it need to be pointed at the TV but I have to point it at the bottom left corner to be sure the command will be received. Trying to use the web browser with the remote was even more painful so I'm going to get a Bluetooth or at least USB, keyboard/mouse before I really try to use it again. But, I continue to be blown away by the picture on my "little" 51 inch set. Maybe it's just me getting older but I don't find myself analyzing every aspect of the picture these days. I just enjoy what I'm watching rather than constantly trying to see whether I'm getting the blackest black levels and such.
-Chris

Maybe it's cuz of the recessed bulb on the front of the remote? It's dug in there pretty good. I dunno, but it gets annoying sometimes.

Can we plug in a regular usb keyboard and mouse that's used for a computer?
post #184 of 657 Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:

Can we plug in a regular usb keyboard and mouse that's used for a computer?

As far as I know we can. I'll try it this evening.
post #185 of 657 Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhobo View Post

As far as I know we can. I'll try it this evening.

Did it work? I think I'll go that route instead of a remote with easier text entry.
post #186 of 657 Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post

Did it work? I think I'll go that route instead of a remote with easier text entry.

Worked great. Made the whole smart TV interface easier to use and especially the web browser. The mouse even works for navigating the TV setup menu.

I just plugged in a extra USB mouse and keyboard but I think I'm gonna order a wireless keyboard with the touchpad built in. I know we're supposed to be able to control it with a smartphone/tablet as well but I haven't downloaded the app for my iPhone and messed with it yet.
post #187 of 657 Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 AM

Liked: 12
You know how people always say "The picture just keeps getting better and better!"? Well my E550 actually has. I noticed a stuck pixel right when I got it, but it was located about an inch and a half from the bottom of the screen in "black bar" territory. A little later, while running the screen wipe, I noticed another red pixel right in the middle of the TV. But 2 out of over 2 million, and not noticeable at my viewing distance didn't bother me too much.

After playing XBOX 360 the other day I ran screen wipe. First off, after an hour of gaming, no ir. Nice. But more importantly, both of my stuck pixels have now disappeared. And they have stayed fixed! Funny, because I always read that they almost never get better.

Plasma + OPPO = Greatness
post #188 of 657 Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I had a few questions on this tv.

1) in the manual it says that the 6500 is the one that has the increased color space and xxy(something like that) increased color bandwith. Because of this are people getting black crush when turning on full color and whiter than white on the PS3?

2) what is the difference between this unit ant the 6500? does anyone know if changing the model number in the service menu would yield any benefits?

3) In the service menu is there an option for day/night calibration?

Thanks for the responses in advance

p.s. did the guy with the denon receiver ever find a solution to his receiver causing issues? Is it possible it may somehow be tied to my 1st question?
post #189 of 657 Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

I had a few questions on this tv.
2) what is the difference between this unit ant the 6500? does anyone know if changing the model number in the service menu would yield any benefits?
for one thing, the 6500 adds an anti-glare filter to the screen that the 550 lacks, so the 6500 is better in a room with any lighting.
there are some other features the 6500 adds as well, you can see them in a comparison of the models at the samsung website and on an amazon page that shows all the models.
scoobdude likes this.
post #190 of 657 Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 AM

Thanks. I was looking more for information on the internal hardware side. I thought i read that the 7000 and up have a dual core while the 6500 is still a single. and with the update being the same file, well i think you know where I am going with that wink.gif

Also, has anyone tried the remote app? does it work on this model?
post #191 of 657 Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 AM

Well, unfortunately my E550 is now DOA along with my Sony Blu-ray player. Despite my APC UPS, a lightning surge fried them both yesterday. Thankfully, my receiver, google tv, tivo and network switch on the same UPS were spared.

Now I get to make the decision on dealing with insurance or just buying new components outright.
post #192 of 657 Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Can anyone comment on 3D quality of the TV? like how's the flicker and does it cause headache after few mins of use? Will appreciate your help.
post #193 of 657 Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Everyone reacts to 3D differently. It has less crosstalk than Panasonics and a few other brands and the glasses are light weight and fit over my prescription glasses fairly well.

Hope this helps.
alljunkie likes this.

post #194 of 657 Old 06-17-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoier View Post

Everyone reacts to 3D differently. It has less crosstalk than Panasonics and a few other brands and the glasses are light weight and fit over my prescription glasses fairly well.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, So you don't get any eyestrain after long hours of use? For how long you have watched 3D on this time at a same time.
post #195 of 657 Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If 3d is your primary concern, IMO passive 3D is much, much better. I have eye strain with every active 3D I have tried. Passive I can watch for hours. But the 2D is garbage with light bleed, flash lighting, etc. You have to decide your priority I guess.

post #196 of 657 Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

If 3d is your primary concern, IMO passive 3D is much, much better. I have eye strain with every active 3D I have tried. Passive I can watch for hours. But the 2D is garbage with light bleed, flash lighting, etc. You have to decide your priority I guess.

I don't want to go into LG or LED as its out of my Budget, its just I'm thinking of buying spare 5-6 glasses along with this, So making sure if 3D is even worth it or not.
post #197 of 657 Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM

I watched a full 2 hour movie. Didn't bother me a bit. But keep in mind no glasses have bothered me. Passive looks like crap, jagged edges and screen-door effect reminds me of old tube tvs.

post #198 of 657 Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM

I just recently purchased a PN59D550. I am about to return it due to the set turning itself off for no apparent reason. I would like to replace it with the PN60E550, but i would like to purchase it at BB, but they have a really high price. Everywhere else is the lower price. Has anyone experienced this powering off issue on the PNXXE550's?
post #199 of 657 Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoier View Post

I watched a full 2 hour movie. Didn't bother me a bit. But keep in mind no glasses have bothered me. Passive looks like crap, jagged edges and screen-door effect reminds me of old tube tvs.

Thanks alot for the reply, I think I'll go ahead and order glasses along with tv then biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveliv View Post

I just recently purchased a PN59D550. I am about to return it due to the set turning itself off for no apparent reason. I would like to replace it with the PN60E550, but i would like to purchase it at BB, but they have a really high price. Everywhere else is the lower price. Has anyone experienced this powering off issue on the PNXXE550's?

Not sure about powering off issue (As I've yet to buy this TV) but BB will match prices with retailers who are selling it for cheap. But again BB will charge you tax and amazon doesn't also amazon have hassle free return policy so I'd suggest buy from Amazon. Do keep us updated if you still get powering off issue in new set too (:
post #200 of 657 Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM

in what was the easiest transaction i have ever completed, best buy price-matched the PN60E550. they didn't try to find a reason not to pricematch, they simply looked up the weekly ad at HH Gregg, noted the lower price and that was it. The guy who checked me out even let me use my 3x Rewards Points card as well. Can't wait to get the tv!
post #201 of 657 Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 AM

Got a question for the experts. I am finding that I don't have the Cinema picture mode when watching on the blu ray player. I believe the blu ray is hooked up to hdmi 2 and cable is hdmi 3. Why does cable allow cinema mode and blu ray does not? It just shows "standard" or "entertainment". I was watching Avatar and noticed the na'vi were awfully cartoonish because of the color so I decided to check out the options and there was no cinema option. Hmm....wtf.
post #202 of 657 Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Did you make sure your BD player had 24pfs turned on? Sounds like it is being converted before it gets to the TV.
post #203 of 657 Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

Did you make sure your BD player had 24pfs turned on? Sounds like it is being converted before it gets to the TV.

That was it. I checked in the settings and it was turned off. Do you mind explaining exactly what that does?

Thanks

Chris
post #204 of 657 Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljunkie View Post

Thanks alot for the reply, I think I'll go ahead and order glasses along with tv then biggrin.gif

How many pairs of glasses will you need? I believe the tv comes with 2 pairs in the box.
post #205 of 657 Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

That was it. I checked in the settings and it was turned off. Do you mind explaining exactly what that does?
Thanks
Chris

It allows for the film to be displayed as it was recorded in 24 frames per second. Turning it off artificially creates 30 frames by methods such as 3:2 pull down. Some people do not like it at 24 though so play around with it. Also the fps should be displayed if you hit the status buttfon.
post #206 of 657 Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi All,

I purchased the 51E550 last week and took it back for dead pixels, I now have a new one with 0 dead pixels, however come across a strange issue,

The first TV i hooked up connected to my Wifi fine after putting in the password, the 2nd TV did connect however the issue is, on the first TV I had a $ on the keyboard and on the 2nd set there is no $ even after I press the 1start,

It works as ive used a keyboard to input it, but how does a $ key go missing between the same models, I called Samsung and they said their version has no $ either, but the first 1 I picked up did.
post #207 of 657 Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrbenson View Post

Hi All,
I purchased the 51E550 last week and took it back for dead pixels, I now have a new one with 0 dead pixels, however come across a strange issue,
The first TV i hooked up connected to my Wifi fine after putting in the password, the 2nd TV did connect however the issue is, on the first TV I had a $ on the keyboard and on the 2nd set there is no $ even after I press the 1start,
It works as ive used a keyboard to input it, but how does a $ key go missing between the same models, I called Samsung and they said their version has no $ either, but the first 1 I picked up did.

Change your password seems to be an option.
post #208 of 657 Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 AM

So I can get my hands on a Clearance PN64D550 for $1399 and a PN64E550 for $2100. Is it worth the $700 to upgrade ?
post #209 of 657 Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlee View Post

So I can get my hands on a Clearance PN64D550 for $1399 and a PN64E550 for $2100. Is it worth the $700 to upgrade ?

The 60 e550 is about the same price. From what I have read the e series adds internet apps and the real black filter and includes glasses.
post #210 of 657 Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Anyone notice any positive changes with the latest the latest June firmware update?

"Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) - Jun 7, 2012

This firmware is for TV Model(s): PDP 51'' E550, E6500
The version is 1019
This firmware update will improve the following:- Prevents a potential issue - Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. - Improves picture quality."

I just got samsung to swap out my old 2010 pn51c450b for one of these and am a bit leery with doing firmware upgrades considering
the last time I did one on the ole 450 it turned my tv into a cloud of red snow and despite 3 new panels and a year and some months later.. was still stuck with a few dead pixels.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Pn50a550 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page