Does Anyone Think Their TV Is Too Big? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a 42" in my apartment and wanted something bigger so I splurged for a 65". I sit about 8 ft away cause its an apartment. It seemed really big at first but now I'm kinda used to it. I would probably have gotten a 60" if I knew how big the 65" is but I want to keep it incase I move to a bigger apt in the near future. Anyone else have a smilier sized TV in an apartment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaf1don View Post

I had a 42" in my apartment and wanted something bigger so I splurged for a 65". I sit about 8 ft away cause its an apartment. It seemed really big at first but now I'm kinda used to it. I would probably have gotten a 60" if I knew how big the 65" is but I want to keep it incase I move to a bigger apt in the near future. Anyone else have a smilier sized TV in an apartment?

I used to sit about 8" from my 58" and never thought it was too big. It was the largest I could fit in the available space. I now sit about 12' and the 58 is way to small.
I would love a 65" at 8'

Mike

post #3 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
Yup, have a 60 inch in my apartment, sit about the same distance. And actually, it's starting to look a tad small, i'm mulling over getting a new 65 inch panny in the next few months when the new ones start pouring out.
dobyblue likes this.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 271
No. l can definitely do bigger. It's not that i think 60" is small, its not, im really immersed with movies, but i wouldn't have a problem with a 70 to 80" TV. The largest the kuros came in is 60" so it's not like i had a choice.

My next TV purchase would have to be 70"+ and have the kuros peformance or better.

No matter how big we get our TV's though we always get use to it and want bigger.

home theater addict
post #5 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have a 64" Samsung D7000 plasma in a 200 sq ft so-called bonus room. I only use 2/3 of the space in the room for the home cinema and my viewing distance is approx. 7 feet. It absolutely rocks when watching BD movies but when watching TV programs it sometimes feels a bit too close. This is due to how most TV programs are shot and edited (i.e. poor/random framing, frantic cutting and no real flow). I don't really watch TV though so it works for me but I think it's something to consider for heavy TV watchers.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Oppo 103D
post #6 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaf1don View Post

I'm at about 8ft with a 60" Panny. I look at it and think about how great an 80+" Panny would look. Then I start thinking, why stop there? That wall sure could use a drop down screen and a projector for movie night ;-)

Looky here!
post #7 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Too big??? On AVS???

8' from 65"
11' from 106" screen

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #8 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Asking if you feel your TV is too big on AVS is like asking does your car have too much power on a Bugatti Veyron forum .....The answer will almsot overwhelmingly be No I want bigger ...
dobyblue likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph8te View Post

asking if you feel your tv is too big on avs is like asking does your car have too much power on a bugatti veyron forum .....the answer will almsot overwhelmingly be no i want bigger ...

+1
post #10 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

I have a 64" Samsung D7000 plasma in a 200 sq ft so-called bonus room. I only use 2/3 of the space in the room for the home cinema and my viewing distance is approx. 7 feet. It absolutely rocks when watching BD movies but when watching TV programs it sometimes feels a bit too close. This is due to how most TV programs are shot and edited (i.e. poor/random framing, frantic cutting and no real flow). I don't really watch TV though so it works for me but I think it's something to consider for heavy TV watchers.

Interesting. I have a 50" Samsung plasma and I've been thinking about stepping up to a 60." My chair is about 8' from the set and the couch (wife's perch, lol) is about 12' away. We mostly watch HD cable. I'm just wondering if 60" is too big at 8" for HD Cable? Will I notice dithering at that distance and other artifacts due to compressed cable signal from provider?

Thoughts?

-Guru
post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I sit ~10' away from my 60" and could easily go to 70". 80" may be pushing it, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Interesting. I have a 50" Samsung plasma and I've been thinking about stepping up to a 60." My chair is about 8' from the set and the couch (wife's perch, lol) is about 12' away. We mostly watch HD cable. I'm just wondering if 60" is too big at 8" for HD Cable? Will I notice dithering at that distance and other artifacts due to compressed cable signal from provider?

Thoughts?

-Guru

It's hard to say and it will of course vary from person to person, but I think you'd be fine with a 60". I notice a bit of signal compression problems with cable but not to a point where it bothers me. The real issue is videography and editing. There's just a huge difference between images that are carefully composed for a gigantic silver screen and then footage that's either carelessly (cheaply) shot and edited or deliberately made 'exciting' in order to keep people's attention in the living room/kitchen/wherever. Of course, some shows are so well made they could be shown in a real cinema. I just started watching HBO's Boardwalk Empire and that might as well have been a movie. I'd be happy to upgrade to an 80" for it, at my current viewing distance

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Oppo 103D
post #13 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Liked: 12
No such thing as too big IMO....when my Sammy 64" gets too small, I fire up the projector.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #14 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
On a similar note, my wife is considering television reduction surgery.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a good tool on determining what size TV would be best-

http://www.displaywars.com/

It looks like i would gain alot by going with 70" with my next TV purchase-

http://www.displaywars.com/60-inch-16x9-vs-70-inch-16x9

home theater addict
post #16 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Save yourself a lot of money and buy the biggest set you can and at the quality level you can afford. Otherwise you will keep going thru lather rinse and repeat.

I have a 55inch display and the next biggest display at the time was a 60 Kuro. Love my set and it was expensive but now too small for a great HT set-up. i could never see myself with a 50inch display for a living room at this time but that's me.

Telling myself the 70 Elite is the way to go but almost afraid to pull trigger as perhaps there will be an 80 Elite by years end. When I see the 80 in stores now it does not seem so enormous to me anymore. It seems just right!

There are plenty of quality sets now (I don't think about a Kuro that is long gone nor can imagine saying I won't let go of it until an equal set comes along. Nonsense. it's small now and there are several great choices to enjoy a quality blu-ray or a football game).

The new territory is size AND quality in my opinion. Sharp does have it nailed and perhaps at a price for the Elite.

A 70 hooked up to a kick-ass surround sound rig. Now we are talking!!

So long story short heck no but I would buy bigger than you think you need so in a year there are no regrets.

Rick

post #17 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are plenty of quality sets now (I don't think about a Kuro that is long gone nor can imagine saying I won't let go of it until an equal set comes along. Nonsense. it's small now and there are several great choices to enjoy a quality blu-ray or a football game).

Nonsense to you and thats your opinion but i see no point in buying another display if the one you already have is fine. There has to be a night and day difference over my kuro for me to spend money on another TV, no matter how big it is. Or else im buying it just to say "It's bigger". It has to be worth it. By the way, the sharp elite is over rated.

And you must sit far away if you think 60" is small.

home theater addict
post #18 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Nonsense to you and thats your opinion but i see no point in buying another display if the one you already have is fine. There has to be a night and day difference over my kuro for me to spend money on another TV, no matter how big it is. Or else im buying it just to say "It's bigger". It has to be worth it. By the way, the sharp elite is over rated.

And you must sit far away if you think 60" is small.

8 feet and it is small when weighing other options available today (To me).

post #19 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
They do shrink, so buy the biggest of the best tv you can afford. You won't regret it.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays