Panasonic 65" vs. Samsung 64" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a 60"+ plasma. I currently have a 50" Vizio and have loved this TV for 6+ years with no issues. The LED Sammys look really good, but I think I am going to stick with plasma. That being said here's my dilemma...

Samsung on Amazon:
PN64D8000 - $2429
PN64D7000 - $2238

Panasonic in Costco:
TC-65PST34 - $1800

I am rly smitten on the Samsung but is it rly worth the extra $400-$600? I bought a Samsung BD-D6500 3d blu ray player and am anxious to see the potential of better video. One consideration is it seems glasses for the Samsung are cheaper than the Panasonic.

Anyone have experience with these two sets and can lend some thoughts?

Thanks,
-Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
IMO stay away from the samsungs D series, majority of them buzz hardcore "I just returned mine bc of it"

You can pick up a 65" GT30 for 2k at BB right now and have enough to get it calibrated and a decent blu-ray player

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the Samsung 64" 7000 and I am completely satisfied, best value of 2011 IMO.

I am very tech savy so i was able to apply the FBr fix and I couldn't be happier.

Bluetooth glasses are a plus as well.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my 64d7000, pic quality is amazing and the buzz is not noticeable unless I put my ear up to the tv with all sounds off.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM

I have a 64d8000 and after I calibrated it has the best picture Ive ever seen on a TV I have a ln52b750 in my bedroom and the plasma pic blows it away. I read that because of the plasma technology all of them buzz to some extent. My 64d8000 gives off a very slight buzz if I place my ear right right next to it but can't hear it 6 inches away. I have very good hearing.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoX85 View Post

IMO stay away from the samsungs D series, majority of them buzz hardcore "I just returned mine bc of it"

You can pick up a 65" GT30 for 2k at BB right now and have enough to get it calibrated and a decent blu-ray player

And your facts to support the idea that a majority of audible buzz for a majority of people are?

Buzzing is an issue to some extent for all plasmas. Even the coveted last generation 9G Pionner Kuro had an entire huge topic on this forum when it was new about its buzz.

For whatever reason -- which despite thousands of posts for at least 3 years on this forum, and complete tear-downs and opinions by engineers and physists, etc. there has yet to be a definitive explanation -- some people hear the buzz on Samsung plasmas worse that other sets and worst than most people hear it, if at all. The reality is most users either do not hear the buzz on the Samungs or hear it so faintly with volume down that it is not an issue.

That's why someone can think they get a "buzzer," return it, think they get another and conclude that "most" bust buzz. Yet there are others who can get Samsung after Samsung and view/listen to hundreds of them in stores over time and never hear buzz. And that's why the people with supposedly terrible buzzers can record and post videos of their buzzers and say "see, isn't that terrible!" and other people will listen carefully and say they don't hear anything, what are you talking about...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

PQ-wise, the Samsungs and Panasonics are close to comaprable. The 7000/8000 will be virtually identical to the eye and the ST probably slightly worse, but not enough for most users to justify the difference. Color will be more accurate on the Samsungs.

How much does 3D matter to you? Here there will be a Samsung advantage for a couple reasons:

1) They use bluetooth for paring with the TV versus an inferior line-of-sight IR (with very limited distance range) for the Panasonic.

2) Depsite this, the Panasonic glasses are far more expense (~$100 each versus ~$20 each for Samsung).

3) Panasonic realized bluetooth is better for 2012 and has new, incompatible glasses for the new year. Which means it will get increasingly hard (and expensive) to get Panasonic IR glasses compatible with 2011 sets, except on the used market.

If 3D doesn't matter to you now or in the future with this set, save the money. Otherwise, get a Samsung.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM

I'm in almost the same position as you. But I'm trying to decide between the 2012 model Panasonic and 2012 model Samsung 65 inch plasmas. Too many options.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGTR View Post

I'm in almost the same position as you. But I'm trying to decide between the 2012 model Panasonic and 2012 model Samsung 65 inch plasmas. Too many options.

It will be hard to make that decision for a little while yet since the Panasonic 65" models haven't hit the North American market yet so there hasn't been the ability to subject them to detailed third party testing and real world reviews. Anything claimed at CES or observed subjectively by someone from the CES floor is not a good basis, nor are the marketing claims of the company (i.e 50% more brightness over 2011 according to Panasonic, etc.)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input. I've seen all the concerns with buzzing and realize it is somewhat expected to an extent w/ plasma. I agree with the glasses topic, BB has em on sale this week for $20....

....now if I could just get em' to price match amazon but at a $900 difference they politely declined. Noticed my local sears had a 550 model on clearance but @ $1800 I'd rather spend the extra $$ for the 8000.

I am pretty tech savvy, what's involved in calibrating it myself once I purchase?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just bought the st30 65" panny and I love it. The first time I went to compare it with a samsung months ago, both best buys had the samsungs on display and one had some weird pink grainy pixel puke on it and the other was turning off and on sporadically. I figured it was a fluke. A month after that, my work mates samsung took a dump and he was telling me how much Samsung wanted to charge him. Then I looked up info on the sammys on these forums and read about all the issues and lawsuits... That was enough for me.

Now if you look for dirt, your going to find it and everyone "knows someone" with a horror story. I personally thought that the Panny looked a tad better to my eyes but was still remarkable. It came down to a good deal on a closeout st30 so thats what I did.

I wish the glasses were blue tooth but I doubt I will even use 3d much. As far as the ir glasses needing to be line of sight, If something is between my face and my tv, It begs the question of whether or not I am really watching tv in the first place...

I researched for 6 months and in the end, it boiled down to what makes you happy and what kind of a deal you can get. I also like the fact that Panasonic has the lowest failure rate of all plasmas.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95yj View Post

I am pretty tech savvy, what's involved in calibrating it myself once I purchase?

It depends on your level of calibration expectations. A turly ideal calibration requires specialized equipment -- particularly meters. And there is an acquired skill that comes from experience that the true pros (i.e. not the geek squad from BB) have. The level of calibration possible with an 8000 (or the Panasonic equivilents) is quite siginificant and goes far beyond what you can do from your eye.

That said, you can probably dial it in reasonably well from the calibration settings posted in other topics on this forum (there is an entire topic for 8000 calibration I think) then tweek from there. Most people are satisfied with that, or use something like the Disney or Aria or another calibration DVD. I used a pro for my main TV but posted calibration stats for my secondary one.

Good luck.