CNET reviews ST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crcostel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4 stars, called top value pick.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...ncol;cnetRiver
crcostel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
sounds great except for 3d - even though that is not very quantifiable - shows more xtalk than most competetors- it doesn't bode well for those who consider 3d imporatant.

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #3 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crcostel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

sounds great except for 3d - even though that is not very quantifiable - shows more xtalk than most competetors- it doesn't bode well for those who consider 3d imporatant.

True, but 3d content is sorely lacking for the moment anyway
crcostel is offline  
post #4 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any chance the st50 65 inch would be better at 3d ?

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #5 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 AM
Member
 
wario76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why wouldnt Panasonic improve 3d this year? Would there be a firmware upgrade to fix this 3d problem?
wario76 is offline  
post #6 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
par4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario76 View Post

Why wouldnt Panasonic improve 3d this year? Would there be a firmware upgrade to fix this 3d problem?

3d. Ehh...... what's that?
par4 is offline  
post #7 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
maygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would think unlikely. If anything, cross talk would be more noticeable. Although, this is my logical assumption, so i may be wrong. At least i do know that 3D has a better immersive effect at larger sizes since it fills up you peripheral vision more.

maygit is offline  
post #8 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Damn, that review is kind of giving me buyers remorse about my Samsung 59D7000.

Equal or better picture quality than the VT30? Wow
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #9 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post

True, but 3d content is sorely lacking for the moment anyway

Sorely lacking? Where have you been?
jbug is offline  
post #10 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Damn, that review is kind of giving me buyers remorse about my Samsung 59D7000.

Equal or better picture quality than the VT30? Wow

The 7000 is the 2011 CNET winner for best PQ and TV??

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #11 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Certainly the best bang for the buck. I saw the UT50 and even that set impressed me. I think we may be seeing some of the Pioneer tech spill over into the new series. Getting these sets to Kuro levels can be foreseen, but a lower cost factor has to weigh in before it can be achieved.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #12 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post

True, but 3d content is sorely lacking for the moment anyway

Did you read the review or skim it?

3D is equal to the VT30 while using a film noted for it's problems with crosstalk. Also, the sets the ST50 was compared to are the top and most expensive TVs last year.

Sorely lacking? I think you're exaggerating.

sheshechic is offline  
post #13 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 192
''its color accuracy and gamma are superb, allbeit not quite reference.'' Color isn't quite perfect''

So, according to Katzmaier ST50 color accuracy is superb but not quite reference, not quite perfect. What does that mean
8mile13 is offline  
post #14 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
David_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: delete me
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hope panasonic enjoys it while they have this.

Once oled hits everything else will be has-beens.

buytme
David_B is offline  
post #15 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Newbie
 
baxtercavendish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Did you read the review or skim it?

3D is equal to the VT30 while using a film noted for it's problems with crosstalk. Also, the sets the ST50 was compared to are the top and most expensive TVs last year.

Sorely lacking? I think you're exaggerating.

I think they meant 3D content in the marketplace, such as movies.
baxtercavendish is offline  
post #16 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Member
 
svgtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Hope panasonic enjoys it while they have this.

Once oled hits everything else will be has-beens.

Except for the price. A lot of people will not want to spend significantly more money for a new technology that hasn't been put through the paces yet (i.e. extensive home use).
svgtom is offline  
post #17 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgtom View Post

Except for the price. A lot of people will not want to spend significantly more money for a new technology that hasn't been put through the paces yet (i.e. extensive home use).

Ugh, seriously. I'm so tired of people saying "forget about plasma! OLED is where it's at!". It's going to be a while before OLED competes with plasma on quality, choice, and price. I believe there's been one OLED announced for release this year, a 55" LG, and it's going to be $8000. Yes, OLED has the potential of outshining plasma, but it will probably before a few years before they start landing in most people's households.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #18 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Member
 
tubayj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Damn, that review is kind of giving me buyers remorse about my Samsung 59D7000.

Equal or better picture quality than the VT30? Wow


NICE! VT30 performance or slightly better in a mid level plasma thats value priced means WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER folks!


3D is a bonus feature that never needs to be used.
tubayj is offline  
post #19 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
C63
Member
 
C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Ugh, seriously. I'm so tired of people saying "forget about plasma! OLED is where it's at!". It's going to be a while before OLED competes with plasma on quality, choice, and price. I believe there's been one OLED announced for release this year, a 55" LG, and it's going to be $8000. Yes, OLED has the potential of outshining plasma, but it will probably before a few years before they start landing in most people's households.

That's my theory as well. Just bought a 65GT30 and I figure my next TV will be an OLED sometime around 2016.
C63 is offline  
post #20 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by C63 View Post

That's my theory as well. Just bought a 65GT30 and I figure my next TV will be an OLED sometime around 2016.

Exactly.
dpippel is offline  
post #21 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
C63
Member
 
C63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

''its color accuracy and gamma are superb, allbeit not quite reference.'' Color isn't quite perfect''

So, according to Katzmaier ST50 color accuracy is superb but not quite reference, not quite perfect. What does that mean

It means just what it says: ST50 is really, really good (superb) but not the best he has ever seen (reference).
C63 is offline  
post #22 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post


Ugh, seriously. I'm so tired of people saying "forget about plasma! OLED is where it's at!". It's going to be a while before OLED competes with plasma on quality, choice, and price. I believe there's been one OLED announced for release this year, a 55" LG, and it's going to be $8000. Yes, OLED has the potential of outshining plasma, but it will probably before a few years before they start landing in most people's households.

Not really - 2d wise The Sony nx 720 an edge lit led gives a Plasma like display. Cnet listed it as their cnet 2011 winner .
Inky blacks & accurate color make the Bravia a superb panel .

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #23 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

Not really - 2d wise The Sony nx 720 an edge lit led gives a Plasma like display. Cnet listed it as their cnet 2011 winner .
Inky blacks & accurate color make the Bravia a superb panel .

Huh? The Sony nx 720 is LED-lit LCD television. Not what I'm talking about at all. OLED is a completely different technology.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #24 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtercavendish View Post

I think they meant 3D content in the marketplace, such as movies.

Forgive me, you're right.

sheshechic is offline  
post #25 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Damn, that review is kind of giving me buyers remorse about my Samsung 59D7000.

Equal or better picture quality than the VT30? Wow

As a D7000 owner: read the same review and I didn't feel buyer's remorse at all.

DKatz had the VT30 as a "hair" or "nose" better than the D7000 PQ...and now he says the ST is "equal" or "slightly better" than the VT30 was.

Improvements, yes....but only slight in my mind....and considering the 59D7000 for me is $400 cheaper than the new 60" ST50 .....I'd still take it today....

The ST50 sounds like a great set, but don't feel so bad - the D7000 is no slouch.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #26 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post


Huh? The Sony nx 720 is LED-lit LCD television. Not what I'm talking about at all. OLED is a completely different technology.

I know but that tv bring " only " led is giving off near Plasma perfection

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
RicFlair is offline  
post #27 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
David_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: delete me
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post


Ugh, seriously. I'm so tired of people saying "forget about plasma! OLED is where it's at!". It's going to be a while before OLED competes with plasma on quality, choice, and price. I believe there's been one OLED announced for release this year, a 55" LG, and it's going to be $8000. Yes, OLED has the potential of outshining plasma, but it will probably before a few years before they start landing in most people's households.

Samsung has already anounced its oled. They say it will cost a little more then the top line lcd/plasma, which sounds sub $7k usd.

That $8k is the LG price in Korea, noting is known outside of that.

Anyone that thinks the first samsung oled won't be better then the top of the line samsung plasma hasn't been paying attention to oled news.

buytme
David_B is offline  
post #28 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by C63; View Post

It means just what it says: ST50 is really, really good (superb) but not the best he has ever seen (reference).

No, it means that color isn't really that good. Color is accurate or it is not accurate. You won't get a really really good new 50 inch flatscreen for that kind of price ($1.300). If that was the case i would buy me one tomorrow.

Its a really, really good flatscreen in its price class, nothing more nothing less.
8mile13 is offline  
post #29 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

No, it means that color isn't really that good. Color is accurate or it is not accurate. You won't get a really really good new 50 inch flatscreen for that kind of price ($1.300). If that was the case i would buy me one tomorrow.

Its a really, really good flatscreen in its price class, nothing more nothing less.

That's a ridiculous comment.

DavidHir is online now  
post #30 of 65 Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir; View Post

That's a ridiculous comment.

I guess you own a ST50 and consider its color to be superb
8mile13 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off