Has anyone got avchd (.m2ts) to play on a Panasonic tv or player ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a .m2ts (avchd/h.264) file on a sd card that I am trying to play on my G25 tv or BD-85k player. Both devices wont even list that file let alone actually play it. The sd card has the correct avchd directory structure and the file is located in the right subdir. The file plays just fine on the pc and it was created using AVCHDCoder from an avi file that was captured from a mini-dv camcorder.
What could possibly be wrong ? Has anyone ever got this to work ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A pc will play anything you have a codec for. A tv will play anything its firmware is set up for. Anybody with more than the minimalist requirements for file playback uses a media pc. TVs with "media slots" and "internet access" are mostly in the realm of sales hype for usefullness.

Tony
post #3 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

A tv will play anything its firmware is set up for.

I should have been more clear in my original post. As per the specs of the TV it can play "AVCHD/H.264/mpeg4" from an SD card. what am I not understanding ?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
.m2ts are elemental streams not mp4s

Tony
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

nope mp4 did not work either.
are there some more requirements for this to work ? Like a certain resolution or interlaced v/s progressive ? The file is actually 480i. Could that be the problem ?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Goo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post

I have a .m2ts (avchd/h.264) file on a sd card that I am trying to play on my G25 tv or BD-85k player. Both devices wont even list that file let alone actually play it. The sd card has the correct avchd directory structure and the file is located in the right subdir. The file plays just fine on the pc and it was created using AVCHDCoder from an avi file that was captured from a mini-dv camcorder.
What could possibly be wrong ? Has anyone ever got this to work ?

Try changing the extension to .mts, some files will work this way. The audio does not always work though.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Just change the .mt2s extension to .ts, and the TV should be able to play it. My G25 does.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

.mts worked! and the audio was perfect too.
.ts and .mp4 did not work at all.

Unfortunately after so much I found the quality unacceptable though (as compared to playback on my not-so-new laptop). And even compared to playing it via analog composite video straight from the minidv camcorder. Maybe its the encoding quality. I will try better encoding or maybe just good old mpeg2.

Another thing I found frustrating was that when it played the .mts, the tv menu (picture, audio, settings..etc..) was unavailable so couldn't make any picture adjustments either.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Goo

Quote:

.mts worked! and the audio was perfect too.
.ts and .mp4 did not work at all.

Unfortunately after so much I found the quality unacceptable though (as compared to playback on my not-so-new laptop). And even compared to playing it via analog composite video straight from the minidv camcorder. Maybe its the encoding quality. I will try better encoding or maybe just good old mpeg2.

Another thing I found frustrating was that when it played the .mts, the tv menu (picture, audio, settings..etc..) was unavailable so couldn't make any picture adjustments either.

You can change the picture settings from within the media player's different sections before you select a video.

For example, open the Media player, choose Videos then you can edit the picture settings.

When you play the video files they will use the settings you set.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

if I change the picture settings in "Videoes" then will they apply to "Mixed" content as well ? Because (and I realize I forgot to mention) that the .mts files that were able to play were showing up only in the "Mixed" media section, not in "Videos".
Or perhaps I could play it in the blu ray player over hdmi (haven't tried this yet), that should give me all picture settings.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Goo

Quote:

if I change the picture settings in "Videoes" then will they apply to "Mixed" content as well ? Because (and I realize I forgot to mention) that the .mts files that were able to play were showing up only in the "Mixed" media section, not in "Videos".
Or perhaps I could play it in the blu ray player over hdmi (haven't tried this yet), that should give me all picture settings.

Yes, every video file played from the mixed catagory will have the picture settings from the videos catagory.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page