Panasonic Plasma 50GT25: Image left on for 5 hours - help!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So... we forgot to turn off my TV and it left on for five hours and worse yet it was on a still image (ie. HTPC menu screen). The image is definitely burned into the screen.

Please, please tell me this can be fixed.

I noticed in the Panasonic menu there is a 15-minute vertical bar wiping option. Will this help? Should I do it longer?

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Goo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

So... we forgot to turn off my TV and it left on for five hours and worse yet it was on a still image (ie. HTPC menu screen). The image is definitely burned into the screen.

Please, please tell me this can be fixed.

I noticed in the Panasonic menu there is a 15-minute vertical bar wiping option. Will this help? Should I do it longer?

Please help!

I had visible image retention from a few hours of 4:3 content on my g25, I left the tv on an analog station on the tuner so it showed static and the ghost image faded away, it worked better than the vertical wipe for me. Five hours with a static image is a long time so try the wipe or static for a few hours as well.

Good luck!
post #3 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM

You just have to use the TV until the wear evens out.

Please enable the auto shut down on your TV and/or HTPC (screensavers work too).
post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

Don't bother - it won't really help. Just watch some regular full-screen HD content and it will eventually wash it away. I'd bump the Contrast setting up while doing this too.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
The quickest way that I've found to eliminate image retention on my LG plasma is to display a high luminance image wherever the IR is. My TV's tools are basically useless. They cause the brightness limiting to kick in, so the images are too dim to be helpful. I have a PC connected to the TV, so when I have persistent IR, I just drag windows over to the problem area while the TV's contrast is set relatively high. The bright, white images are pretty effective at "erasing" IR. It's too bad that the TV's built-in tools for fighting IR are impractical and ineffective.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Liked: 13
I just watch full screen tv when I get temporary burns like this! Don't eat up your screen with snow just to get rid of it! Also set your auto off so as long as your tv will run is 3 hours!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 AM

My old S1 is horrible with IR, if you leave anything on for just a couple mins, and switch to a blank input you can see the residue of IR. But if I were to try and keep My S1 free from IR I might as well toss it, but more importantly, this IR is not noticable or bothersome on any type of programming/gaming. So I would just watch it and pretend IR doesn't exist. As noted, many times before you have to bascially abuse a plasma to get permanent Burn-in, and this sounds more like you had an accident rather than abuse.

I want to give you a heads up though, it can take a long while to completely remove this image you're probably seeing... don't expect it to be gone in a few days.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgurl View Post

My old S1 is horrible with IR, if you leave anything on for just a couple mins, and switch to a blank input you can see the residue of IR.

Just to avoid confusion, that after-image stuff you see on a blank/no-signal input is not IR - it's normal phosphorescence and it's harmless. There are a number of threads about it. My Plasmas all do this (as did my Tube TVs) but it's not an issue since it's only on a blank input screen and is not visible at all when watching TV. You can also see a similar effect when you first turn the TV off in a dark room - there is an afterglow with ghost images of the stuff you'd been watching.

IR is when you can see the after-image during regular content, or when displaying the color slides. I sometimes see the after-image of the KABC7 morning news logo after i switch to another channel,

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page