Panasonice 65 VT50 Vs Samsung 64E7000/8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dodkalm81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a new tv this year. I have a mits. 65 DLP tv, and currently I am leaning toward one of these. The both seem to have issue, Samsung and there Buzzing, and Panasonic for there 50hz issue (not really sure what it is) I really wish the VT50 was out, so that I can see it. So with that, let the fight begin, and see who is the winner
dodkalm81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
HearingImpaired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

I am in the market for a new tv this year. I have a mits. 65 DLP tv, and currently I am leaning toward one of these. The both seem to have issue, Samsung and there Buzzing, and Panasonic for there 50hz issue (not really sure what it is) I really wish the VT50 was out, so that I can see it. So with that, let the fight begin, and see who is the winner

The VT50 should be out next month. It should be better than the Samsung.
HearingImpaired is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HearingImpaired View Post

The VT50 should be out next month. It should be better than the Samsung.

Probably. But it will take a shoot-out and real world reviews and test results to really know. Last year the VT30 should have been better than the D8000 but it was more of a draw, trading off black level versus color (and each with a variety of issues that the manufactures (mostly) solved mid-year. I already saw a 2012 Panasonic review that dings on color accuracy again. And a few early calibration measurements on the E8000 seem to indicate they may have finally conquered black level performance in 1080p24 mode, and seem to suggest even better performance in that mode.

But, yeah, if the OP really wants to compare the two they will need to wait. Love the upgrade to the VT design this year and the better 3D glasses (and inclusion of them). SHould be interesting.
Citivas is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Senior Member
 
HearingImpaired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Probably. But it will take a shoot-out and real world reviews and test results to really know. Last year the VT30 should have been better than the D8000 but it was more of a draw, trading off black level versus color (and each with a variety of issues that the manufactures (mostly) solved mid-year. I already saw a 2012 Panasonic review that dings on color accuracy again. And a few early calibration measurements on the E8000 seem to indicate they may have finally conquered black level performance in 1080p24 mode, and seem to suggest even better performance in that mode.

But, yeah, if the OP really wants to compare the two they will need to wait. Love the upgrade to the VT design this year and the better 3D glasses (and inclusion of them). SHould be interesting.

Right, they usually trade off in different areas but the Panasonic is still usually a slightly better tv. I personally have owned two Samsung tvs and I have liked both. I mainly bought them because of the price difference/perfomance between the Samsung and Panasonic. I always felt you could get more bang for the buck with Samsung but that seems to have changed this year with the new and improved ST series from Panasonic and Samsungs new price policy.
HearingImpaired is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HearingImpaired View Post

Right, they usually trade off in different areas but the Panasonic is still usually a slightly better tv. I personally have owned two Samsung tvs and I have liked both. I mainly bought them because of the price difference/perfomance between the Samsung and Panasonic. I always felt you could get more bang for the buck with Samsung but that seems to have changed this year with the new and improved ST series from Panasonic and Samsungs new price policy.

Again, maybe, but it's too early to say for sure.

Also, when the TV's are that close it really comes down to subjective opinion about what is "better" even if slightly. To say that the VT30 was better means you are ranking the black level as a decisive priority over color accuracy, yet there's no rule that this is true. To each their own. And then when you have PQ SO close, features and design start to matter. I've been keeping an eye on close-outs for 2011 sets, for example, and can now get a VT30 for a tad less than the D8000, but I didn't because on balance I like the D8000 more even when cost is neutral. Because to me, both in terms of reviews and shoot-outs and from personal viewing, the VT30, D8000 and even D7000 were effectively a draw PQ-wise, but the Samsung's had a more pleasing design, swivel stand, lighter weight and better and more affordable 3D glasses.

2012 is a whole different ball game. On paper I'm liking the Panasonics. But the game hasn't been called.

We can go back and forth on this forever. It comes down to opinion.
Citivas is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
HearingImpaired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Again, maybe, but it's too early to say for sure.

Also, when the TV's are that close it really comes down to subjective opinion about what is "better" even if slightly. To say that the VT30 was better means you are ranking the black level as a decisive priority over color accuracy, yet there's no rule that this is true. To each their own. And then when you have PQ SO close, features and design start to matter. I've been keeping an eye on close-outs for 2011 sets, for example, and can now get a VT30 for a tad less than the D8000, but I didn't because on balance I like the D8000 more even when cost is neutral. Because to me, both in terms of reviews and shoot-outs and from personal viewing, the VT30, D8000 and even D8000 were effectively a draw PQ-wise, but the Samsung's had a more pleasing design, swivel stand, lighter weight and better and more affordable 3D glasses.

2012 is a whole different ball game. On paper I'm liking the Panasonics. But the game hasn't been called.

We can go back and forth on this forever. It comes down to opinion.

Well said!!
HearingImpaired is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

I am in the market for a new tv this year. I have a mits. 65 DLP tv, and currently I am leaning toward one of these. The both seem to have issue, Samsung and there Buzzing, and Panasonic for there 50hz issue (not really sure what it is) I really wish the VT50 was out, so that I can see it. So with that, let the fight begin, and see who is the winner

There is no 50hz issue in the US, since we don't have programming running at 50hz.

The word is that the VT50 will be the best set of 2012. The E8000 will probably be an excellent set, as well, but it won't beat the VT50 in black level.

Color accuracy should be even between the two- VT50 might end up being better.

Even gamma, possibly, as well.

With that, it would make the VT50 a smart choice- especially since the 65" models will have deeper blacks than the 55" ones. Should be very close to a 9G kuro- possibly lower.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
maygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post


Probably. But it will take a shoot-out and real world reviews and test results to really know. Last year the VT30 should have been better than the D8000 but it was more of a draw, trading off black level versus color (and each with a variety of issues that the manufactures (mostly) solved mid-year. I already saw a 2012 Panasonic review that dings on color accuracy again. And a few early calibration measurements on the E8000 seem to indicate they may have finally conquered black level performance in 1080p24 mode, and seem to suggest even better performance in that mode.

But, yeah, if the OP really wants to compare the two they will need to wait. Love the upgrade to the VT design this year and the better 3D glasses (and inclusion of them). SHould be interesting.

I agree it will take a shoot out to confirm 100%, but after seeing reviews i know the panasonic will win over the samsungs without a challenge. I would love to see a link dinging the 2012 panasonics (especially the VT) for poor color accuracy. The midline ST50 w/ only 2pt white balance was extremely accurate for color if u look at the reports from avforums, chad-b, and d-nice. Cnets were slightly worse than the fore mentioned, but still really good and plus, everyone trusts the above reviewers claims over david k @ cnet. The sole review ive seen on the VT50 showed perfect color accuracy and they awarded the VT50 w/ a reference status award. Not to mention black levels are at worse .002 fL, which i would love to see samsung break .004fL. Also, IIRC, the VT50 is less expensive than the E8000.

So again, a shootout will be the ultimate determining factor, but im extremely confident the panny will win. The samsung can only match color accuracy and will lose in blacks and possibly price.

maygit is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dodkalm81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I guess we need more reviews. Thanks for all the input. For me its about PQ and blacks. the bells and whistles are just that. I have no use for them. I dont care about how smart it is, or if I can wave my hand in front and the screen moves. I want inky blacks and color accuracy. I want the 3d to be great, and the screen not dark when i put the glasses on. I guess I will have to wait. And the waiting is the hardest part, as they say.
dodkalm81 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Member
 
CuppyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

For me its about PQ and blacks. the bells and whistles are just that. I have no use for them. I dont care about how smart it is, or if I can wave my hand in front and the screen moves. I want inky blacks and color accuracy.

+1. Now if they make one that'll get me a cold one out of the fridge, we might have a keeper!
CuppyCat is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off