TV with low input lag( Gaming) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, fellas, need a TV with low input lag. Looking at getting a plasma, I play XBOX in a dim room, so glare isn't going to bother me. I play COD mostly. This tv is going to be for gaming only. COD4, MW2, and MW3.

Budget= $1,2000

I know this has been beat to death but there is so many conflicting threads on here its overwhelming. So, if you make a recommendation please don't go off topic, please, lol I'm in the US as well.

I'm using a 32 inch Dynex screen right now and there is hella lag, and I want to throw it out the window. Ping/Internet speed, and all the ports are good, so no connection issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM

I need to know as well. Got the LG 47LM6700 yesterday and nba 2k12 on xbox360 has noticeable motion blur. I'm returning this TV. It doesn't even have a toggle for trumotion. Help! Need recommendations for good gaming TV.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamakin View Post

I need to know as well. Got the LG 47LM6700 yesterday and nba 2k12 on xbox360 has noticeable motion blur. I'm returning this TV. It doesn't even have a toggle for trumotion. Help! Need recommendations for good gaming TV.

That sucks, man. Hopefully you find a good one. There are so many tv's its hard to figure out which one will work good enough.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
The new Panny ST50 sounds like your best option right now. The measured input lag in one of the reviews was a mere 17 ms (probably one of the best latency measurements I've seen), and it's already shaping up to be the best "bang for your buck" set of this year.

50" ST50 is currently running around $1260

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...3505965&sr=8-2

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #5 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If it's only going to be used for gaming, I'd get a monitor.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

The new Panny ST50 sounds like your best option right now. The measured input lag in one of the reviews was a mere 17 ms (probably one of the best latency measurements I've seen), and it's already shaping up to be the best "bang for your buck" set of this year.

50" ST50 is currently running around $1260

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...3505965&sr=8-2

Yeah at that cost i definitely say it is between the one you mentioned and also the pn51e6500 as well
post #7 of 18 Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a good site for input lag info....LINK.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 15
The Philips 40PFL5507 has been tested and the input lag seems to be only 17ms:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/philips-40pfl5507h-p12906/test.html

There is also a 55 inch version available of that tv.
If someone could test his tv and post the results, that could confirm their measurements.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM

^^^^^^^
Anyone have the American Model Number for this?
post #10 of 18 Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM

I'd be wary of the input lag on the 40PFL5507 review. The review site does not mention its testing method. See http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/input_lag.htm for info about testing methods. Large size LCDs even in Gaming Mode have trouble getting less than ~42ms lag. Of course, everyone is different on their input lag threshold, but less than 32ms (2 frames) seems to be OK for some. Super serious gamers want 16ms or less. That's why most of them stick with CRTs or smaller LCDs. For large sizes, Plasmas should have less input lag than LCDs, but even Plasmas STILL aren't good enough for most serious gamers.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
@SCott_Blasingame

Well said. I'm a pretty big retro and modern Nintendo junky and 2 frames doesn't cut it for me whatsoever coming from somebody who's also owned
a 1 frame capable set through 'component' I can only bare 1 frame and that's that. which is good enough.
Now, there iS one option, the 'panasonic LX1 LCD IPS Alpha Panel(32" and under) that does less than 1 frame and 8ms at the most apperantly.
I'm not a big fan of LCD's mainly because they generally produce poor black levels and the motion blur
drives me nuts, but the uttra bright picture, clean image and no auto dimming do make them very appealing for 'gaming' PLUS ips alpha panels DO produce better motion over VA panels.but this seems like the ultimate HDTV to game on if you don't
mind the smaller size.

And to the people saying that the ST50 delivers 16ms as far as the 'NA' model goes has got to stop it. It's flase information. How can
the ST50 deliver 1 frame when it's little brother the X5 which i'm sure does a lot less processing does 2 frames/32ms? I own it, and it's
dissapointing....I couldn't game it period. May be fine for none serious gamers, casuals and whatever, but not for me.

The UK models however are supposed to be fantastic...Also take into consideration that the NA 2012 panny's have poor scaling resulting in a softer image.
Your best bet would be to hit up Amazon.com if you're in the states and score last years S30 or ST30. There's only one person that I've found
online willing to ship to Canada, but the shipping cost and duties/Taxes combined might run me another $200...Wii U's hitting in 10 more days and i still don't
have an S30 yet! XP

I could settle for the ST30 right now, but it has a louvre filtre which i'm assuming degrades the picture quality as far as brightness, color
and producing a sharp/clear image. I know i'd regret it...All in all, if I'm dissapointed by the S30's input lag performance, than i'll just keep the 50" or 60" strictly for movies and get a smaller
panasonic LX1 LCD for the Wii/Wii U. Dissapointing that we've come so far with technology but these stupid HDTV's are laging behind in the most important
thing period when it comes to gaming 'GAME PLAY'
post #12 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if in threads like this all the people who have HDTVs they game with and are very pleased with their HDTVs gaming performance would actually reply and say "This one is great, no problems for me, runs smooth on all the games, get it!"

But such responses are few and far between.

I guess they'd rather play games than participate in forums.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashkey View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if in threads like this all the people who have HDTVs they game with and are very pleased with their HDTVs gaming performance would actually reply and say "This one is great, no problems for me, runs smooth on all the games, get it!"
But such responses are few and far between.
I guess they'd rather play games than participate in forums.

I have a Panasonic 46St30 and "This one is great, no problems for me, runs smooth on all the games, get it!" smile.gif
The only problem is actually finding one as it's last years model.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42st30b-p42st30-201105161138.htm
Calibrated black level (ANSI checkerboard) - 0.028 cd/m2
1080 lines of motion resolution
Input lag - 16ms
Excellent scaling

Image retention goes away quickly on my aged panel
Great TV.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Hi.

I have a Samsung PN43E450 that I bought primarily for gaming (since it was such a great price!) on recommendation of a friend. It has been excellent so far and must have very little lag at least with the HDMI port named PC because I can perceive none and neither could the person who recommended it whereas I could perceive a small bit on my other TV (Sanyo LCD). Another big selling feature for me was that it offers a lot more menu options then comparably priced TV's and when adjusted properly really blew me away as I was preparing to trade PQ for lack of input lag as this TV is only 720 and my previous is/was 1080. 720 is fine for my gaming purposes though and lack of all the extra feature that I wouldn't use on this kept cost low.

Also it offers a scrolling thingy to eliminate any IR which I got a touch of the other night when I walked away with the TV on an SD (4:3) channel. Scroll thingy and about 2 minutes took care of that nicely which I was relived to see as some games I'm sure will cause some IR after long sessions and I did not see this feature offered on all TV's I looked at. Black look better on this then several other sets I looked at but again could be due to deep customization options, I don't know.

Sorry I can't offer numbers and such but I'm not the guy to be hooking PC's and TV's together to be running timers and such, sorry. I can say though if you have a certain big box retailer close offering the current sale price this TV is well worth it, especially because said retailer easily offers returns if you aren't as happy with it as I am.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM

i have an ST50 and i cannot see any noticeable input delay. i regularly play halo 4 so i think i would if there is any
post #16 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Samsung PN58C8000 for my main display. I've tested it against my BenQ XL2410T with an HDMI splitter. The BenQ has great respons, about 6ms, the Samsung is on par with it (in game mode), and I'm pretty sensitive to lag. I don't know how the new Samsung plasmas stack up though, so this info might be useless.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 AM

I have a Panasonic 50 inch Vierra Plasma model P50UT50 and have had NO issues gaming with it. I play mostly Halo, Mass Effect and COD. Before this I bought a 55 inch Vizio and it had at least 100ms of Input Lag, did a bunch of research and found that Panasonic Plasma TV's were know for their incredibly LOW Input Lag performance.

The picture looks fantastic and you can get it for only $700 now, but I would bet that soon it will be hard to find as it was release early 2012.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM

I had a panasonic ut50 witch is dead by burn in (i have done the break in periode correctly and i was running snow for 1 hour for each 3 hours of gaming) but it was great for gaming, very low input lag but now i have found a great edge led lcd 40 inches with great picture for only 410 $ at walmart in canada. This is the toshiba 40sl412u, 2011 model. i found no input lag test on this tv anywhere on the net but televisioninfo.com reviewed de 46 inch modele and at the video processing part of the review they said that the tv is having very few video processing. that was suggesting to me that the tv was having very low input lag. So i tested it 34 ms and 28 ms with game mode enable. I love that tv no light bleeding or dead pixel ,good uniformity, great color and motion performance. Down side viewing angle about 12 degre from the center and audio is bad but i use a sound bar.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page