Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Yes, as I stated before, I can understand where you're coming from. Having everyone constantly asking you questions, with a few trolls thrown in here or there, cannot be the most enjoyable experience. And you seem to keep posting despite all that, which is admirable. Also, I take back the "ego" comment- I don't think you interpreted that the same way that I meant it, but we can just let that go.

I don't think a phone call is necessary, but I appreciate the offer . I don't have any other questions other than that one. And for the sake of hindsight, the reason why I was confused was that I interpreted your words as "equal aging per pixel on a given panel" instead of (what I believe you meant) "equal pixel aging across multiple panels for the sake of consistency for the application of settings". That slight misunderstanding (I believe) is what blew up into an unnecessary flurry of posts .

I was serious about helping you with some sort of FAQ or Wiki page. It could be just another Wiki article on some existing page. The problem with forums is that while they're great for having a casual discussion with up-to-the-minute information, common questions will undoubtedly be repeated and the forum search engines only work so well. There also seems to be a TON of myths that propagate like wildfire (such as my earlier question about burn-in and your slides) and are hard to stop. A good single Wiki that is populated and updated by yourself, Robert at VE, and other prominent members of this community would be invaluable and would likely cut down on the myths and pointless arguments that are spawned by them, and hopefully cut down on the repeatedly asked questions. If you're interested at all in something like this, PM me.

I will be more than happy to work with you to create a wiki or some type of FAQ thread. PM me when you get a chance and we can get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I will be more than happy to work with you to create a wiki or some type of FAQ thread. PM me when you get a chance and we can get started.

this will be a great project
keep us updated
post #273 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, UK owner of a 50GT50 here, just arrived yesterday and came across this thread just now.

Absolutely loving this set so far albeit one small thing I've noticed today. It's hard to explain but in THX mode some parts of the picture look fuzzy, this is mainly visible on lighter scenes. It's not a distraction but I switched over to Cinema mode and it seemed to reduce significantly. I've checked all the settings and got all the extra enhancements off. I've read around it seems first 100-200 hours everything still needs to warm up and the PQ will improve but was just curious about this small "issue" and was hoping somebody could clear it up for me.

Thanks

p.s. hi markiedee
post #274 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
So i need some help from all you Panny owners.

I just recieved my new Samsung Pn51''e8000 plasma. The PQ is great but it has 4 dead pixels, it buzzes and has brightness pops/FBr (only noticeable while watching hockey). I am contumplating wether i should return it for another Sammy or get my money back and switch to a 50'' Gt50. They are not available in store yet in my area.

My biggest concerns with the GT are as follows...

Brightness pops/Fbr- has anyone seen any reported issues with this on the GT50? How about with hockey? I am a big hockey fan so this is important to me.

Overall brightness- the reason i have always been drawn to the Samsungs over the Panasonic plasma's is that the Sammy's always seem to have more screen pop and brightness. Are the GT50's any brighter than years past?

Black level- the black level on my 51'' e8000 is ok but the larger screen size Samsungs have conciderably better black levels. I am lookin to stay in the 50'' range. So is the 50'' GT black really black or still a little bit grey/green?

Any advice would be appreciated
post #275 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
QUESTION ok i am new to plasma never owned one every in my life ,been thinking about buying the gt50 only for the fact is i think for some reason's it's time for a change in buying a tv and just enjoying something else besides LCD .Most of my life if not all my 21 years on this earth i have owned LCD tv's from samsung to sharp and back to samsung again,i would like to know tho my biggest worry's about panasonic is BURN IN is it still there and should i worry even tho plasma has been on this earth for about what 15 r more year's now what should i do worry or say the hell with it and go plasma or go home.lol let me know thank u .
post #276 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

So i need some help from all you Panny owners.

I just recieved my new Samsung Pn51''e8000 plasma. The PQ is great but it has 4 dead pixels, it buzzes and has brightness pops/FBr (only noticeable while watching hockey). I am contumplating wether i should return it for another Sammy or get my money back and switch to a 50'' Gt50. They are not available in store yet in my area.

My biggest concerns with the GT are as follows...

Brightness pops/Fbr- has anyone seen any reported issues with this on the GT50? How about with hockey? I am a big hockey fan so this is important to me.

Overall brightness- the reason i have always been drawn to the Samsungs over the Panasonic plasma's is that the Sammy's always seem to have more screen pop and brightness. Are the GT50's any brighter than years past?

Black level- the black level on my 51'' e8000 is ok but the larger screen size Samsungs have conciderably better black levels. I am lookin to stay in the 50'' range. So is the 50'' GT black really black or still a little bit grey/green?

Any advice would be appreciated

1) I have not seen any brightness pops/fbr so far and there's been no reports of any panasonic 2012 plasmas so far so I think they've fixed this issue now.

2) Had a GT30 from the 2011 range and the GT50 is definitely much more brighter, but what really amazes me is the dynamic range this set has. Everything just pops out of the screen!

3) I'm having trouble finding where the frame of the tv starts from the black bars, the blacks are very black!
post #277 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Can anyone confirm if the GT50 plays .MKV files from USB? I haven't heard anything definitive yet. Thanks in advance!
post #278 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 17
Hey Elite how you doing mate, to some of the questions others have asked i find the gt50 to be pretty bright i have no brightness pops or fluctuating brightness either i mean none.

As Elite has pointed out the black levels are incredibly deep they aren't hollow or a deep shade of grey they are totally black and i really love mine the picture is really crisp and i can't complain about anything so far touch wood.

I'm using the normal picture settings with contrast brightness colour and sharpness turned down a bit and it's still bright enough for my room

The only thing which my set has is little bit of is buzzing it doesn't bother me and i'm finding that it's reducing as the tv wears in.

I was re watching some old upscaled dvds today irobot and kung-fu panda and the amount of detail and rich vibrant colour i was seeing and the depth of the blacks gave a new lease of life to these movies, it looked like i was watching bluray at times it was that good.

I'm so glad that i got this tv and i can't see me upgrading anytime soon thats for sure.
post #279 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post

QUESTION ok i am new to plasma never owned one every in my life ,been thinking about buying the gt50 only for the fact is i think for some reason's it's time for a change in buying a tv and just enjoying something else besides LCD .Most of my life if not all my 21 years on this earth i have owned LCD tv's from samsung to sharp and back to samsung again,i would like to know tho my biggest worry's about panasonic is BURN IN is it still there and should i worry even tho plasma has been on this earth for about what 15 r more year's now what should i do worry or say the hell with it and go plasma or go home.lol let me know thank u .

Hi joesph theres always the risk of ir or burn in if your not careful but so far i haven't seen any on mine i have the side panel protection set to high and also the pixel orbitor set to on. As long as you don't leave the tv on static images for hours on end or really abuse your tv then i think that you should be fine.
post #280 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawdrones View Post

Sorry I should have said top of the *bottom* bezel. I'm looking for what the screen clearance is.

Thanks.

I'm also curious since I don't want my center channel to block any of the screen.
post #281 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Just wondering how 3D is on the GT50? From the CNET review, the ST50 had some issues. Just wondering if people are finding the same thing with the GT50? Thanks!
post #282 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by El1te View Post

Hey guys, UK owner of a 50GT50 here, just arrived yesterday and came across this thread just now.

Absolutely loving this set so far albeit one small thing I've noticed today. It's hard to explain but in THX mode some parts of the picture look fuzzy, this is mainly visible on lighter scenes. It's not a distraction but I switched over to Cinema mode and it seemed to reduce significantly. I've checked all the settings and got all the extra enhancements off. I've read around it seems first 100-200 hours everything still needs to warm up and the PQ will improve but was just curious about this small "issue" and was hoping somebody could clear it up for me.

Thanks

p.s. hi markiedee

If I recall, THX mode has the sharpness set a lot more on the softer side. On my parents GT30, I adjusted it for them and was very surprised how much more crisp the picture was on game mode since the sharpness was set a lot higher. It's a personal preference thing, but I myself just like everything to appear very crisp and defined.
post #283 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM

I look forward to the Faq produced by D-Nice and Tempest 261 (and perhaps others).

Also, I have rarely seen such a successful peacemaking effort or result on any forum. I want to acknowledge and congratulate that.

May we all benefit!
post #284 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El1te View Post

1) I have not seen any brightness pops/fbr so far and there's been no reports of any panasonic 2012 plasmas so far so I think they've fixed this issue now.

2) Had a GT30 from the 2011 range and the GT50 is definitely much more brighter, but what really amazes me is the dynamic range this set has. Everything just pops out of the screen!

3) I'm having trouble finding where the frame of the tv starts from the black bars, the blacks are very black!

Wow, that sounds amazing. i think im gonna look into one.

Only other thing is 3D. How is it? Any Ghosting? Its great on my Sammy.
post #285 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post

I look forward to the Faq produced by D-Nice and Tempest 261 (and perhaps others).

Also, I have rarely seen such a successful peacemaking effort or result on any forum. I want to acknowledge and congratulate that.

May we all benefit!

post #286 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Hi joesph theres always the risk of ir or burn in if your not careful but so far i haven't seen any on mine i have the side panel protection set to high and also the pixel orbitor set to on. As long as you don't leave the tv on static images for hours on end or really abuse your tv then i think that you should be fine.

Hve u every had any problems with plasma tv or burn in problems ,and how many plasma tv has u owned over the years .thanks u for the help hope u can get back to me.
post #287 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

With Samsung plasma's it is well known that the larger screen sizes (58''-64'') have notably better black levels than the 50''/51'' sizes. Is this at all the case with Panasonics particularly the GT50? Do all sizes perform the same in this aspect?
post #288 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

With Samsung plasma's it is well known that the larger screen sizes (58''-64'') have notably better black levels than the 50''/51'' sizes. Is this at all the case with Panasonics particularly the GT50? Do all sizes perform the same in this aspect?

Sometimes

post #289 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Same with Panasonic.
post #290 of 9787 Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Wow, that sounds amazing. i think im gonna look into one.

Only other thing is 3D. How is it? Any Ghosting? Its great on my Sammy.

That's the best thing to do, see one in the flesh yourself and then decide . Can't tell you how 3d is yet mate, still waiting for my 3d glasses in the post, but I did try it in store and had no problems with ghosting or crosstalk on it at all.

+1 to markiedee's mention about the buzz, I've noticed that during the first 15-20 hours of use it was a wee bit high but couldn't be heard over normal viewing but now I'm reaching the 50 hour mark and I can barely hear any noise at all.

Another thing is the colours seem to be improving and improving as the hours are going by.

@vaxick

Thanks mate. Now that I've got more hours racked up I'm starting to see less of what I mentioned in THX mode so I just assume it's the phosphors settling in. I may try put up the sharpness soon
post #291 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:

Hve u every had any problems with plasma tv or burn in problems ,and how many plasma tv has u owned over the years .thanks u for the help hope u can get back to me.

Hi joseph yes i have owned a couple of plasmas and can honestly say that i haven't encountered any problems or burn in, i used to own a tx-p42z80 my recent being a tx-p42g30 which i had absolutely know problems with.

I also brought my gf a panasonic tx-p37x10 which has proved to be very good shes owned it for a few years now and was only brought after having alot of issues with lcds clouding etc... and she likes it we game on it alot wii, ps3 and dvds/blurays and any ir thats left always disappears within seconds.

I have found that it is even more improved with the gt50 i have been watching movies with black bars and haven't seen any sign of the faint bars after watching movies although i'm not going to make a habit of watching films with black bars until i have racked up a few more 100 hours.
post #292 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 AM

I also collected my 3D glasses the other day i'm yet to use them as i currently don't own a 3D bluray player yet, i'm not to fussed at the moment as my current bluray player isn't 3D ready and it does what it i need it to do for now. I just wanted to be fully future proofed when i brought this tv with 3D being an added extra.
post #293 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Hi joseph yes i have owned a couple of plasmas and can honestly say that i haven't encountered any problems or burn in, i used to own a tx-p42z80 my recent being a tx-p42g30 which i had absolutely know problems with.

I also brought my gf a panasonic tx-p37x10 which has proved to be very good shes owned it for a few years now and was only brought after having alot of issues with lcds clouding etc... and she likes it we game on it alot wii, ps3 and dvds/blurays and any ir thats left always disappears within seconds.

I have found that it is even more improved with the gt50 i have been watching movies with black bars and haven't seen any sign of the faint bars after watching movies although i'm not going to make a habit of watching films with black bars until i have racked up a few more 100 hours.

i was told the same is i get a plasma tv dont watch anything with black bar for u might case some what a a burn in or just a not so good picture after 200 hour's tho u are good to goand from what i was told burn in ok for now,,idk tho i may take the chance and go for a plasma this year not going to worry much about burn in i like the samsung LED tv's the ES7500 or ES8000 but there a ton of money right now and the gt50 is half the price if not reallly cheap for the price.like a 50 inch gt50 size is like 1,599 and the 55 ES8000 LED is set for a price of 2,899 so that like double the price it's crazy if u ask me.
post #294 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

i was told the same is i get a plasma tv dont watch anything with black bar for u might case some what a a burn in or just a not so good picture after 200 hour's tho u are good to goand from what i was told burn in ok for now,,idk tho i may take the chance and go for a plasma this year not going to worry much about burn in i like the samsung LED tv's the ES7500 or ES8000 but there a ton of money right now and the gt50 is half the price if not reallly cheap for the price.like a 50 inch gt50 size is like 1,599 and the 55 ES8000 LED is set for a price of 2,899 so that like double the price it's crazy if u ask me.

Please use punctuation and proper grammar. I literally have no clue what you just said.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #295 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

How is the color on the GT50? I heard reviews say that accuracy has been improved over last years. Do the colors pop w/o being oversaturated?

The color on my Sammy 8000 is second to none and if im gonna make the jump to Panny i dont wanna give up tooooo much in that area just to gain in another.
post #296 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Same with Panasonic.

I'm sorry, can you please clarify for me? Are you saying that the smaller size Panasonic's have worse black levels than the larger? (like Samsung's) OR that the black level is the same on all size Panasonic's?
post #297 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:

... the smaller size Panasonic's have worse black levels than the larger? (like Samsung's) ...

No, I think it's almost the same: there can be some differences, but very small.

Look at HDTVtest's reviews of the 42, 50 and 65VT30:

42VT30
Calibrated black level (black screen): 0.012 cd/m2
Calibrated black level (ANSI): 0.013 cd/m2

50VT30
Calibrated black level (black screen): 0.02 cd/m2
Calibrated black level (ANSI): 0.02 cd/m2

65VT30
Calibrated black level (black screen): 0.011 cd/m2
post #298 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmarc View Post

No, I think it's almost the same: there can be some differences, but very small.

Look at HDTVtest's reviews of the 42, 50 and 65VT30:

42VT30
Calibrated black level (black screen): 0.012 cd/m2

50VT30
Calibrated black level (black screen): 0.02 cd/m2
Calibrated black level (ANSI): 0.02 cd/m2

65VT30
Calibrated black level (black screen): 0.011 cd/m2

Awesome, thanks for the info! But do you think that the difference between 0.012 and 0.02 is very noticeable. What does it really mean to the human eye?
post #299 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 AM

between 0.012 and 0.02 cd/m2 the difference is very very slight: maybe you can see it if you put the tv's side by side in a totally dark environment. But remember that was just an example: doesn't mean there is that (small) difference in all panasonics. A you can see, the 42 and the 65, the smallest and the biggest, have the same black levels...
post #300 of 9787 Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz123 View Post

Just wondering how 3D is on the GT50? From the CNET review, the ST50 had some issues. Just wondering if people are finding the same thing with the GT50? Thanks!

I want to know the same thing. Please report on 3D quality,owners.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page