Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 14 - AVS Forum
First ... 12  13  14 15  16  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
rahzel's Avatar rahzel 09:57 AM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Chad, does the ST50 also have a Bright Room setting as well? I'm still doing my homework regarding the ST vs. GT and this will help with a big question of mine. Also, if the ST does have a Bright Room setting, how did it compare to the GT?

To elaborate, the ST50 doesn't have a THX Bright Room setting (it's not THX certified, so no THX modes, period). However, Custom mode is the ideal mode to use if you're calibrating your ST50, and you should be able to calibrate an ST50 in custom mode to the same brightness as THX Bright Room on the GT50 and the results will be fairly similar to the GT50 I would think (judging by the calibration reports).

Chad B's Avatar Chad B 10:16 AM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

To elaborate, the ST50 doesn't have a THX Bright Room setting (it's not THX certified, so no THX modes, period). However, Custom mode is the ideal mode to use if you're calibrating your ST50, and you should be able to calibrate an ST50 in custom mode to the same brightness as THX Bright Room on the GT50 and the results will be fairly similar to the GT50 I would think (judging by the calibration reports).

I agree, though I didn't try it.
Chad B's Avatar Chad B 10:17 AM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Perfect, thanks for the quick follow up. And also thanks for all the help and reviews you provide!

Thank you. I'm glad you find them helpful.
emporio's Avatar emporio 11:31 AM 04-18-2012
Thx Chad,
great review!!

i just placed an order for 50" GT50 and DMP-BDT220 to complement it.

now i can't wait
polorsport's Avatar polorsport 02:51 PM 04-18-2012
Has anyone been able to compare the ST50 and GT50 side by side?

Does either the GT50 or ST50 have a gamer mode?

*side note I ordered a P50GT50 yesterday from Panasonic via epp just having a little buyers remorse because it was back ordered until next Sunday, and I don't have any stores near me that carry these models.
lockdown571's Avatar lockdown571 02:59 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Let's put it this way, NOBODY is going to watch the TV in 48hz mode. It's awful. But, I will vouch for Chad's impression with 24fps material displayed in 60hz, just set it there and forgetaboutit.

Seriously, why do they even include it? I guess marketing? It's completely unwatchable (I have an ST50 btw). The 60hz mode handles 24 fps content perfectly to my eyes. It's quite an accomplishment actually. I have a 9G Kuro which has a 72 Hz mode, which theoretically should be better, but in practice they handle it equally as well.
TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 03:49 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by polorsport View Post


Does either the GT50 or ST50 have a gamer mode?

Both do.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 05:28 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Thank you. I'm glad you find them helpful.

Great job Chad.

I also read your review of the PNE8000. Both sets sound great. But from a PQ standpoint if someone offered you your choice of the 50" GT50 or 51" E8000 for free which would you choose? (hypothetically speaking of course)
curiousdude's Avatar curiousdude 05:43 PM 04-18-2012
New images were added on Amazon. Looks sexy -




Chad B's Avatar Chad B 05:51 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Great job Chad.

I also read your review of the PNE8000. Both sets sound great. But from a PQ standpoint if someone offered you your choice of the 50" GT50 or 51" E8000 for free which would you choose? (hypothetically speaking of course)

Thank you! See my edited review for the shootout.

I would choose the GT50.

My wife insists on turning the overhead light on when watching TV, though I overrule her for movies.
synbios1978's Avatar synbios1978 07:20 PM 04-18-2012
The GT50 sounds amazing, although I'm waiting for the 65". Unfortunately for me, waiting is not something I usually do really well, but for my question is this. I currently have a 54" Panasonic G10 series, which I love, but I need/want something a little bigger for my space. I can get now a G30 for fairly inexpensive (price does matter in my case, as I will need to wait for a really nice sale on the G50), but my question is am I better off waiting until later this year (maybe end of year or this time next year) or is there that much of an improvement between the G30 and the G50 that I would be kicking myself 7-8 months from now for getting the G30 instead of waiting for the G50?

Thanks!
polorsport's Avatar polorsport 07:48 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post


Both do.

Thank you
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 09:50 PM 04-18-2012
Hi GT owners
I have a dilemma... The new GT series is a very impressive TV and should be a good compromise of price and quality, sitting in the middle of the range.

I would like to get a 65 / 64" TV and the current reviews seem to indicate that the GT50 beats the E8000.

However I have an issue with the centre speaker:

I assume there will be a 65"?
If the pictures of the GT 50 are right, the remote sensor is right in the centre?

One major advantage of the Samsung is that the remote sensor is at the side, whereas it seems the sensor for the Panasonics is close to the centre, and that means it will be blocked by my centre speaker (a rather large B&W HTM4S with a tweeter which sticks out)..

I wonder if anyone faces a similar problem and how they resolved that?

Furthermore, where I am, the GT/ST only reaches us in May and the VT 50 only in June!

So I could grab the E8000 or stare at my tiny 24" monitor doubling up as a TV for now...

Any comments and help is much appreciated. Cheers
Bigjoemeat's Avatar Bigjoemeat 10:29 PM 04-18-2012
What size is that curiousdude? If u know, it does look sexy!
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 11:43 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

... it seems the sensor for the Panasonics is close to the centre, and that means it will be blocked by my centre speaker (a rather large B&W HTM4S with a tweeter which sticks out)..

Either a Harmony 1100 with RF/IR Extender, or the Harmony 900 (includes an RF/Ir Extender) will do the job. There are also IR extenders that will work with your displays remote. That's how I get around our large center speaker.
Jogi's Avatar Jogi 01:22 AM 04-19-2012
So if GT50 displays 24hz material in 60hz mode (48hz flickers too much) then there must be some real image manipulation going on.. must be creating some sort of artifacts, even if subjective quality is fine..? (I assume that it is not using 2:3 juddering style to show 24hz as it is quite visible artifact..)
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 01:41 AM 04-19-2012
Thanks
I thought of a crude piece of foil or mirror for starters. Will that work first ?
Cheers
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 06:22 AM 04-19-2012
BTW if anyone has a 65" GT50, can they tell me how far is the remote sensor from the centre of the TV please?

I had a look at the manual, and although it doesn't have the measurements, it seems to be a little off to the left side, which might be sufficient to clear the side of my 23" wide centre speaker?

I.e. I need 12 inches of clearance from the centre of the TV to the remote sensor.

EDIT - well if the smaller sets have a clearance wider than this, do let me know too? Then I assume the bigger set will be fine too.

Thanks
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 07:11 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

BTW if anyone has a 65" GT50, can they tell me how far is the remote sensor from the centre of the TV please?

Thanks

They aren't available yet.
letMeIn's Avatar letMeIn 07:18 AM 04-19-2012
looks like GT50 doesn't have rs232 like VT50 does. Anyone knows if it is possible to control GT50 over the Ethernet with AMX or Crestron ??
whipit's Avatar whipit 10:39 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by letMeIn View Post

looks like GT50 doesn't have rs232 like VT50 does. Anyone knows if it is possible to control GT50 over the Ethernet with AMX or Crestron ??

None of the panny's have rs232 this year.
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 12:12 PM 04-19-2012
Chad, thanks for your review. I am wondering if you noticed any hint of the vertical band that is said to be visible a few inches from the right side of the screen, top to bottom? Several people now have commented on this but the one review I've read so far hasn't mentioned it and you also didn't mention it. Also, I'm guessing you didn't have any issue with pinkish or greenish areas of the screen, like some have mentioned last year and this year?

One of the main reasons I'm holding out on the GT50 is my fear of that vertical line and random color blotches that I keep hearing about on the forums. If I could be sure I would get a screen without these issues, I think I would be very happy with the GT50. I was also concerned about the lack of a 96Hz mode, since the 48Hz mode sounds unwatchable. But it sounds like it shouldn't be something I will miss. The Samsung E series has a 96Hz mode but overall there are several things about the E series that I didn't like to hear and I'm fed up with my D7000 so the GT50 sounds like the answer if there are no screen issues.
Chad B's Avatar Chad B 12:34 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Chad, thanks for your review. I am wondering if you noticed any hint of the vertical band that is said to be visible a few inches from the right side of the screen, top to bottom? Several people now have commented on this but the one review I've read so far hasn't mentioned it and you also didn't mention it. Also, I'm guessing you didn't have any issue with pinkish or greenish areas of the screen, like some have mentioned last year and this year?

I didn't see anything like that.
Italian Dude's Avatar Italian Dude 04:26 PM 04-19-2012
Got mine in today from Amazon through CEVA But actually subcontracted to some other company and was 1 hour late, so I called Amazon to ask where is it and they gave me a $30 credit and called the shipper and got them to commit to the 1 hour.

So first 5 min impression is good, and 3D is as good as it was on the Samsung un46d7000, which I thought was great too. No screen defects or strange colors or discolorations yet. The bright mode really works, probably too bright for a dark room to watch a movie, and great in room with 4 60 watt bulbs on overhead. Standard is TERRIBLE, way too dark, so if that's the default in stores you would think you need an LED instead. Vivid is awkward, funky colors. Custom is decent without changing anything. THX cinema default is too dark for daylight,and THX bright room is good in natural daylight and lighted room.

I think the picture is slightly muted compared to the Samsung LED 7000 I had for a few days, but looks great and does not have that super sharp and soap opera effect. Definite differences between HD channels, some sharp and vibrant, some look grainy and dim, but that's going to show on any TV.

The Samsung 3050gb glasses kind of work with it too, but not really. They show the image as if we're normal so you don't see the 3D blur like when viewing without glasses, but don't have the 3D effect either. Strange. The $60 Panasonic glasses are lighter and a little wider and are enclosed on the sides, blocking the lights reflecting from around the room so you don't need pitch black room to watch 3D like when using the Samsung glasses. The image is good. I do see the occasional ghosting effect in some objects, like the white cat at the start of Puss n boots 3D. But I noticed this on the Samsung too. 3D still looks best in a dark room though. But you can brighten it in THX 3D mode, which I thought somebody wrote can't be done, unless that was on the ST50, or the UK GT50.

Slight buzz, when up close, but can't hear it with any minimal volume, the BD player hum is louder when sound is muted. And the AC or other ambient noise is much louder too. But if acoustic panels work as one mentioned, I would try it just to remove any OCD about thinking I hear it. Let us know how that works out.

The black borders on movies are solid black to me at 50 level of brightness which is bright and contrast at 90 in THX Bright Room mode. In THX Cinema, brightness is also at 50 but contrast is at 60, which darkens the picture. Brightness at 51 starts to show noise in the black bars, and gets worse in solid black as increased.

No gaming yet, but am about to test MW3 on PS3.

I hope this is useful for anyone. I will answer any questions. No calibration, probably will try the published settings though just to play.
Tempest261's Avatar Tempest261 04:30 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

Got mine in today from Amazon through CEVA But actually subcontracted to some other company and was 1 hour late, so I called Amazon to ask where is it and they gave me a $30 credit and called the shipper and got them to commit to the 1 hour.

So first 5 min impression is good, and 3D is as good as it was on the Samsung un46d7000, which I thought was great too. No screen defects or strange colors or discolorations yet. The bright mode really works, probably too bright for a dark room to watch a movie, and great in room with 4 60 watt bulbs on overhead. Standard is TERRIBLE, way too dark, so if that's the default in stores you would think you need an LED instead. Vivid is awkward, funky colors. Custom is decent without changing anything. THX cinema default is too dark for daylight,and THX bright room is good in natural daylight and lighted room.

I think the picture is slightly muted compared to the Samsung LED 7000 I had for a few days, but looks great and does not have that super sharp and soap opera effect. Definite differences between HD channels, some sharp and vibrant, some look grainy and dim, but that's going to show on any TV.

The Samsung 3050gb glasses kind of work with it too, but not really. They show the image as if we're normal so you don't see the 3D blur like when viewing without glasses, but don't have the 3D effect either. Strange. The $60 Panasonic glasses are lighter and a little wider and are enclosed on the sides, blocking the lights reflecting from around the room so you don't need pitch black room to watch 3D like when using the Samsung glasses. The image is good. I do see the occasional ghosting effect in some objects, like the white cat at the start of Puss n boots 3D. But I noticed this on the Samsung too. 3D still looks best in a dark room though. But you can brighten it in THX 3D mode, which I thought somebody wrote can't be done, unless that was on the ST50, or the UK GT50.

Slight buzz, when up close, but can't hear it with any minimal volume, the BD player hum is louder when sound is muted. And the AC or other ambient noise is much louder too. But if acoustic panels work as one mentioned, I would try it just to remove any OCD about thinking I hear it. Let us know how that works out.

The black borders on movies are solid black to me at 50 level of brightness which is bright and contrast at 90 in THX Bright Room mode. In THX Cinema, brightness is also at 50 but contrast is at 60, which darkens the picture. Brightness at 51 starts to show noise in the black bars, and gets worse in solid black as increased.

No gaming yet, but am about to test MW3 on PS3.

I hope this is useful for anyone. I will answer any questions. No calibration, probably will try the published settings though just to play.

Thanks for the review. Can you please put the web browser through its paces? Try something like blip.tv and Vimeo, and see of the video works (and can go full screen).
Bigjoemeat's Avatar Bigjoemeat 04:55 PM 04-19-2012
Does anybody know if Netflix on the gt50 has HD movies?? I thought I read somewhere that there was but cant remember for sure. On my current setup Netflix on the ps3 dosent have any HD movies.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 06:22 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

Got mine in today from Amazon through CEVA But actually subcontracted to some other company and was 1 hour late, so I called Amazon to ask where is it and they gave me a $30 credit and called the shipper and got them to commit to the 1 hour.

So first 5 min impression is good, and 3D is as good as it was on the Samsung un46d7000, which I thought was great too. No screen defects or strange colors or discolorations yet. The bright mode really works, probably too bright for a dark room to watch a movie, and great in room with 4 60 watt bulbs on overhead. Standard is TERRIBLE, way too dark, so if that's the default in stores you would think you need an LED instead. Vivid is awkward, funky colors. Custom is decent without changing anything. THX cinema default is too dark for daylight,and THX bright room is good in natural daylight and lighted room.

I think the picture is slightly muted compared to the Samsung LED 7000 I had for a few days, but looks great and does not have that super sharp and soap opera effect. Definite differences between HD channels, some sharp and vibrant, some look grainy and dim, but that's going to show on any TV.

The Samsung 3050gb glasses kind of work with it too, but not really. They show the image as if we're normal so you don't see the 3D blur like when viewing without glasses, but don't have the 3D effect either. Strange. The $60 Panasonic glasses are lighter and a little wider and are enclosed on the sides, blocking the lights reflecting from around the room so you don't need pitch black room to watch 3D like when using the Samsung glasses. The image is good. I do see the occasional ghosting effect in some objects, like the white cat at the start of Puss n boots 3D. But I noticed this on the Samsung too. 3D still looks best in a dark room though. But you can brighten it in THX 3D mode, which I thought somebody wrote can't be done, unless that was on the ST50, or the UK GT50.

Slight buzz, when up close, but can't hear it with any minimal volume, the BD player hum is louder when sound is muted. And the AC or other ambient noise is much louder too. But if acoustic panels work as one mentioned, I would try it just to remove any OCD about thinking I hear it. Let us know how that works out.

The black borders on movies are solid black to me at 50 level of brightness which is bright and contrast at 90 in THX Bright Room mode. In THX Cinema, brightness is also at 50 but contrast is at 60, which darkens the picture. Brightness at 51 starts to show noise in the black bars, and gets worse in solid black as increased.

No gaming yet, but am about to test MW3 on PS3.

I hope this is useful for anyone. I will answer any questions. No calibration, probably will try the published settings though just to play.

What size do you have?
Italian Dude's Avatar Italian Dude 06:37 PM 04-19-2012
Update on my GT50...the buzzing is louder on the THX Bright Room setting. I discovered turning down the contrast has the biggest effect. Brightness setting makes no difference that I can detect. I tried to duplicate all settings between the two THX modes to then identify what else if anything affects the buzzing, but can't duplicate the picture. Meaning all settings that I can access in both modes are set the same, but the Bright Mode is still louder and washed out looking in comparison to THX Cinema. So three must be some settings that differ that are not user accessible. this was all done with no sound on. The DVR makes about the same amount of noise, the PS3 and other BD player make even more, so I don't think it will be a problem for most.

Regular Cinema mode (non-THX) changes the aspect ratio slightly, have checked into that further yet but do see an aspect ratio setting in each picture mode setting.

I have never had a plasma and never had a TV calibrated so if it sounds like I am stating the obvious, please bear with me.

I will try to test the browser and Vimeo/blip.tv this evening but might not get to it until tomorrow evening. Not enough time to play with all the options, so tempted to take off work to play more, but can't miss tomorrow.

I have not done a gray slide test, and not sure I want to in case I start thinking I am seeing flaws, but I did have a channel where a large center portion of the screen was gray and did not see any color differences.

I did try MW3 using game picture mode. I sense it as a slight lag compared to my LG LCD. I don't know if it was jut that session, as sometimes there's lag anyway, but I also don't know if there is an actual game mode that is separate than game picture mode. Some say some TVs have the two separate settings. I have not read the manual to see if there is a distinction. Or maybe I can disable some processing within the game picture mode to improve it. It's not bad, but I am particular (not tolerant) of even slight differences. If I didn't have the other tv to compare to, I probably wouldn't have an issue. I finished with 15 kills, so for you gamers you'll know that is on the higher side for MW3. Yes, some of you are often at 20 or more, but most are lower than 15.
Italian Dude's Avatar Italian Dude 06:37 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post


What size do you have?

The 50".
Italian Dude's Avatar Italian Dude 06:51 PM 04-19-2012
One more quick comment/question for plasma owners.. Some say the buzzing is terrible, some say it's only audible if close to the TV so it's no bother. I'm Can understand both situations. But some say their plasma has no buzzing whatsoever. How can that be if it is inherit to how plasmapheresis operate? Or are just not considering it to buzz because they/you can't hear it with the sound on?

I am really trying to ascertain if any buzzing means its defective and should be returned. Seems it is normal, but everyone in awhile somebody says "not my TV", so I wonder...
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 12  13  14 15  16  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop