Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 10:07 AM 04-20-2012
Ok, Thanks. I'd be interested in hearing more on the matter regarding adjusting THX modes, and which mode people are using during the day or with room lighting.

Oh, and have there been any good custom settings for day and night posted yet?

Just two more things,

So, am I doing the break-in right?

Lastly, with less than 24 hours running, there is an unpleasant odor coming from the TV that is filling my room. It has forced me to open the windows. I'm worried the TV is defective. I've never had a plasma before. Should this go away soon or should I return the set?

wattheF's Avatar wattheF 10:09 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

Of course this will always be subjective, but as I and one other noted, Standard is terrible. I found THX Bright Room very bright in a bright room with daylight (but not direct sun) and 4-60 watt bulbs on overhead, and it looks a bit washed out compared to THX Cinema. But THX cinema is a bit dim, only a slight bit, in a bright room, so I upped the contrast just a bit and for me, seemed perfect for day and night. But I have no idea if that defeats the official THX config, but the point is it looks good to me, so that's all that matters.

It sounds as though the GT50 has many usefull presets that are also customizable. Pair that with what many are saying about how wide of a dynamic range this set has and it looks like a tv that is very versitile and will accomodate a wide range of viewing situations and preferences.

But what i am wondering about is does the GT50 have full 10 point white balance adjustment and 6 color adjustment system like the Samsung 8000? Or something similar?
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 10:21 AM 04-20-2012
Received my Viera GT50 50" yesterday.

I bought it to replace a Samsung PN51E8000 which I returned after using a few days.

First impressions of the GT50, so far I am impressed with the overall quality.
The overall quality of the E8000 was seriously lacking, and I felt like a 'tester' with all their new features.

I even had the E8000 freeze on me twice.

HD TV looks fantastic on the GT50 - no complaints.

I watched 2 3D Blu-rays last night and the 3D definitely had more 'pop' and none of the 'glare' found on the E8000 (I found the glare distracting and took away from the experience). The depth was about the same as the E8000.

People go back and forth talking about 'buzz'. Plasma's have a buzz wether people want to admit it or not.

Is it distracting? on the E8000 it was, it was a constant buzz regardless of the screen content and at normal volume levels, it was noticeable as backround noise. If I played a movie at above normal volume levels (which most of us do) I could not hear it.

As far as buzz on the GT50, it's extremely quiet and barely noticeable. And at that - it's only noticeable if the screen content is overly bright. Dark scenes - I barely hear a peep. Very satisfied.

There are promotions running at some retailers to receive two pairs of free active glasses with the GT50 - the glasses are very nice, and very light weight. I prefer them over the Samsung brand.

Also impressed with Menu speeds, Internet, and other application speeds on the GT50 - very quick / responsive.

I am going to keep the GT50, amazing TV.

All that being said, I am new to Plasma for the most part.

I understand the break in period and waiting to calibrate for the first 150 hours.

What I would like information on, is the Black Bar Myths on Plasmas.

I hear that the side bars are not as much a issue (especially when grey). But what about the top/bottom bars?

A lot of 3D Content has top/bottom bars and I am curious as to if this is something I should be concerned about. Sorry for my lack of understanding on the issue, but I don't want to screw up a $1600 TV.

Back to enjoying the GT50!
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 10:49 AM 04-20-2012
With less than 24 hours running, there is an unpleasant odor coming from the TV that is filling my room when the mode is brighter than standard (i.e, THX bright room, Custom, etc). It has forced me to open the windows and can be smelt across the ground floor of my house. I'm worried the TV is defective. I've never had a plasma before. Is this normal? Should this go away soon or should I return the set? It is less noticeable on Standard mode, but that is too dark and dull for daytime viewing for me.

I didn't buy the TV only to watch in the dark at night or with all my windows open at all times!!
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 11:00 AM 04-20-2012
I would say if the smell is filling your room than it sounds like it is defective.

If I get close to the TV I detect a 'faint' smell.

Good luck.
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 11:04 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Whether one hears the buzz is highly dependent on the individual's hearing capabilites, room size and acoustics, seating distance from the display and/or panel distance from wall(s).

Very interesting point regarding display distance from the wall. Like anything that makes a sound, reverberation off a solid object, like a wall, can have a dramatic influence on what you hear. Experimenting with that distance might be worth your time.
Tempest261's Avatar Tempest261 11:06 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

With less than 24 hours running, there is an unpleasant odor coming from the TV that is filling my room when the mode is brighter than standard (i.e, THX bright room, Custom, etc). It has forced me to open the windows and can be smelt across the ground floor of my house. I'm worried the TV is defective. I've never had a plasma before. Is this normal? Should this go away soon or should I return the set? It is less noticeable on Standard mode, but that is too dark and dull for daytime viewing for me.

I didn't buy the TV only to watch in the dark at night or with all my windows open at all times!!

Hmmmm. Ozone?
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 11:13 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

Received my Viera GT50 50" yesterday.

I bought it to replace a Samsung PN51E8000 which I returned after using a few days.

First impressions of the GT50, so far I am impressed with the overall quality.
The overall quality of the E8000 was seriously lacking, and I felt like a 'tester' with all their new features.

I even had the E8000 freeze on me twice.

HD TV looks fantastic on the GT50 - no complaints.

I watched 2 3D Blu-rays last night and the 3D definitely had more 'pop' and none of the 'glare' found on the E8000 (I found the glare distracting and took away from the experience). The depth was about the same as the E8000.

People go back and forth talking about 'buzz'. Plasma's have a buzz wether people want to admit it or not.

Is it distracting? on the E8000 it was, it was a constant buzz regardless of the screen content and at normal volume levels, it was noticeable as backround noise. If I played a movie at above normal volume levels (which most of us do) I could not hear it.

As far as buzz on the GT50, it's extremely quiet and barely noticeable. And at that - it's only noticeable if the screen content is overly bright. Dark scenes - I barely hear a peep. Very satisfied.

There are promotions running at some retailers to receive two pairs of free active glasses with the GT50 - the glasses are very nice, and very light weight. I prefer them over the Samsung brand.

Also impressed with Menu speeds, Internet, and other application speeds on the GT50 - very quick / responsive.

I am going to keep the GT50, amazing TV.

All that being said, I am new to Plasma for the most part.

I understand the break in period and waiting to calibrate for the first 150 hours.

What I would like information on, is the Black Bar Myths on Plasmas.

I hear that the side bars are not as much a issue (especially when grey). But what about the top/bottom bars?

A lot of 3D Content has top/bottom bars and I am curious as to if this is something I should be concerned about. Sorry for my lack of understanding on the issue, but I don't want to screw up a $1600 TV.

Back to enjoying the GT50!

I am contumplating making the exact same trade. I am waiting to hear back from Samsung if they will give me a $$ refund because my new 51E8000 was a replacement for a defective C7000. I too felt like a tester for the new model.

I agree that the overall quality of my E8000 is lacking. It is very quirky and right out of the box had 4 dead pixels and a buzz (audible from 10'). I also see brightness fluctuations on my E8000. These are very noticeable while watching hockey. Did you see any of that on your E8000 before you returned it? ...Other than all those issues, i think the picture quality of the E8000 is amazing.

In your opinion how does the picture quality compare on the GT50 to the E8000? I am fed up with Samsung, but i dont wanna take a step back in picture quality.

How does hockey look on the GT? Any fluctuations at all?
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 11:18 AM 04-20-2012
What modes are you watching? If I watch using Standard mode, the smell is only present close to the TV. If I watch using a brighter setting, such as Custom or THX Bright Room, you can smell it all over the room. However, I can't watch during the daytime using Standard mode or similar low brightness modes.

Due to the post above, and since I'm a hockey fan, I don't see how the Samsung would work out for me as an alternative.
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 11:24 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Hmmmm. Ozone?

I don't think so, it doesn't have the same smell IMO. I'm not expert though.

Still, I'm annoyed now, because I love the picture quality of this TV, but I need it to run brighter than Standard mode during the day.
Tempest261's Avatar Tempest261 11:31 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:

I don't think so, it doesn't have the same smell IMO. I'm not expert though.

Still, I'm annoyed now, because I love the picture quality of this TV, but I need it to run brighter than Standard mode during the day.

Does it smell electrical or biological? Probably extremely rare, but I wonder if something crawled into it in the Mexican plant... And now you're cooking it.
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 11:41 AM 04-20-2012
No, it smells like a plastic or chemical type smell. I can't say if it is electrical, since I don't have too much experience with that. However, it doesn't seem to be biological. I'm still hoping it will burn off with time, but this is entirely unacceptable for a new product IMO. I hope it is just my set though, because the other plasma options don't appeal, and I don't like LCD TV's.
D-Nice's Avatar D-Nice 11:46 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:

No, it smells like a plastic or chemical type smell. I can't say if it is electrical, since I don't have too much experience with that. However, it doesn't seem to be biological. I'm still hoping it will burn off with time, but this is entirely unacceptable for a new product IMO.

Its normal with these displays and will go away over time (about 1-2 weeks).
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 12:17 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

Thanks, that's good to know. Surprised some other new owners here didn't notice it though, perhaps it varies by set or else they are not watching using high contrast settings.

Will it go away quicker if I maintain the current break-in mode of THX Bright Room with contrast at 80, or if I reduce the contrast given the smell is less with a lower setting?

Also, where do I find some good custom settings for the TV?
Italian Dude's Avatar Italian Dude 12:19 PM 04-20-2012
No strange smells on mine yet, but surely the OCD in me will now smell something wrong since I read about. Actually sounds more like TV hypochondriac than OCD. : )
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 01:21 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

What modes are you watching? If I watch using Standard mode, the smell is only present close to the TV. If I watch using a brighter setting, such as Custom or THX Bright Room, you can smell it all over the room.

I am currently using Cinema and when watching 3D, THX 3D mode. I don't notice a change in smell if I change modes.
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 01:23 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

In your opinion how does the picture quality compare on the GT50 to the E8000? I am fed up with Samsung, but i dont wanna take a step back in picture quality.

How does hockey look on the GT? Any fluctuations at all?

Overall picture quality is just about equal I would say, although Black Levels seem better right out of the box on the GT50.

I am not regretting making this swap at all.

As far as hockey, I can check out a game soon and get back to you.
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 01:27 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

I also see brightness fluctuations on my E8000. These are very noticeable while watching hockey. Did you see any of that on your E8000 before you returned it?

I did notice some brightness fluctuations on the E8000, I have yet to watch a hockey game on the GT50.
markiedee's Avatar markiedee 01:29 PM 04-20-2012
No weird smells from mine either.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 01:40 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

Overall picture quality is just about equal I would say, although Black Levels seem better right out of the box on the GT50.

I am not regretting making this swap at all.

As far as hockey, I can check out a game soon and get back to you.

Great! thanks for your opinion.

Hockey is one of the things what i watch most often so that is the biggest reason why i wanna make the switch. I've heard that the GT is brighter and has better whites than the 8000, so as long as there is no fluctuations in brightness i think it will be better.

Thanks in advance for your help with this matter
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 02:13 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

Great! thanks for your opinion.

Hockey is one of the things what i watch most often so that is the biggest reason why i wanna make the switch. I've heard that the GT is brighter and has better whites than the 8000, so as long as there is no fluctuations in brightness i think it will be better.

Thanks in advance for your help with this matter

You are welcome, glad to help. These TV's were my first Plasma purchases so I put them under heavy scrutiny.

Now I am just trying to make sure I do not have to worry about black bars at top/bottom of the screen for prolonged periods of time.

Can anyone enlighten me in this matter? - thanks.
gbmannc's Avatar gbmannc 02:36 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

You are welcome, glad to help. These TV's were my first Plasma purchases so I put them under heavy scrutiny.

Now I am just trying to make sure I do not have to worry about black bars at top/bottom of the screen for prolonged periods of time.

Can anyone enlighten me in this matter? - thanks.

It would only be a problem if things with black bars was literally the only thing you watched, in which case it wouldn't matter because you wouldn't notice it. If you do any amount of regular full screen tv watching, it shouldn't be a problem.
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 03:07 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmannc View Post

It would only be a problem if things with black bars was literally the only thing you watched, in which case it wouldn't matter because you wouldn't notice it. If you do any amount of regular full screen tv watching, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you, I appreciate your insight.

I was mainly worried because sometimes I watch 2 movies in a row, and I wasn't sure if 3-4 constant hours of black bars would cause a issue.
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 03:10 PM 04-20-2012
Currently I am using my PS3 for 3D and now I am looking at buying a Panasonic Blu-ray player.

Can anyone that owns one confirm how much of a effect that the '3D effects' controller has?

Thank you.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 03:17 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

Thank you, I appreciate your insight.

I was mainly worried because sometimes I watch 2 movies in a row, and I wasn't sure if 3-4 constant hours of black bars would cause a issue.

It's the overall mix of source material that needs to be varied. Black bars are less likely to cause noticeable trouble than fixed high contrast images. If your normal viewing habits result in a lot of full screen viewing without too many fixed images, you'll be fine without keeping track hour by hour.
threephi's Avatar threephi 03:38 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

Lastly, with less than 24 hours running, there is an unpleasant odor coming from the TV that is filling my room. It has forced me to open the windows. I'm worried the TV is defective. I've never had a plasma before. Should this go away soon or should I return the set?

Quote:

I bow to D-Nice's expertise and experience when it comes to plasma TV's, but I find it surprising in the extreme that the very high level of aroma aquablue described would be considered normal. Do you find/have you found that to be typical with recent panasonic plasmas, or is that based on a general assessment of various sets you have owned or tested over the years? Based on my own experience with home-built PC's and other electronics, a smell so prominent that I can detect it across the room would indicate to me that something is overheating pretty badly, most commonly a failing capacitor or resistor or melting insulation on a wire. If it is in fact something innocuous such as a blob of flux burning off the circuit board, then that would speak to slightly shoddy manufacturing when the circuit boards were assembled, in contrast to what is by all appearances a very well constructed product.

For the record my GT50 only has a very faint aroma of warm electronics (waxy with a hint of ozone, don't really know how better to describe that smell ) when I stick my nose right up against the vents in back.

You're still going to be under warranty in a few weeks if you want to wait and see if it clears up but if it was me I would get it replaced.
threephi's Avatar threephi 03:51 PM 04-20-2012
About black bars--I'm still learning about how plasma works, but is the concern that it might lead to strong IR or burn-in? Or that running a big section of the screen dark for too long will differentially age the phosphor coating to the extent you can see a difference?

When I was playing around with the set last night exploring some of the 3D options, I saw some prominent IR for the first time. It came up because I paused the blu-ray movie I was watching on the final credits and spent perhaps ten or fifteen minutes navigating the blu-ray player's settings and options menu. When I exited those screens and came back to the credits, I saw faint but noticeable IR against the almost completely black screen. I ran the built-in "scrolling bars" anti-IR feature for about two minutes and it completely cleared up so thumbs up for that feature.
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 04:19 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

About black bars--I'm still learning about how plasma works, but is the concern that it might lead to strong IR or burn-in? Or that running a big section of the screen dark for too long will differentially age the phosphor coating to the extent you can see a difference?

I have read that black bars can eventually cause burn in, but I am hoping this applies to older Plasmas, and a lot of the time people tend to blow things out of proportion so I wanted to ask around for peoples' personal experiences with plasma.
threephi's Avatar threephi 04:44 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:

Currently I am using my PS3 for 3D and now I am looking at buying a Panasonic Blu-ray player.

Can anyone that owns one confirm how much of a effect that the '3D effects' controller has?

Thank you.

Well I picked up the panasonic DMP-BDT320 at the same time I got my GT50, no complaints so far. I'm not sure what you're asking about though. Perhaps this would better be asked in the Blu-ray player or 3D components forums.
mcbiidermen's Avatar mcbiidermen 05:11 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

Well I picked up the panasonic DMP-BDT320 at the same time I got my GT50, no complaints so far. I'm not sure what you're asking about though. Perhaps this would better be asked in the Blu-ray player or 3D components forums.

The 3D effects controller is available on Panasonic Blu-ray player and based on what its advertised to do, it can do things like adjust 3D Depth. So I was just curious as to how much of a adjustment is available on it.

The Model you purchased, BDT-320, is actually the one I am looking at buying. Amazon doesn't advertise the 3D effects controller, but they do on older models. I just checked Panasonics Tech sheet and the controller is on the newer models too.

I will probably ask on the other forums later though as you mentioned.
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop