Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post

I must be lucky to have none of the issues listed on this thread on my 50GT50 from Amazon. No line bleed, buzzing, heat, etc... With the volume off, room quiet, and my head 1/4 inch away from the screen, I hear no buzzing whatsoever. Resting my hand on the screen is almost cool to touch. This is after running the TV for hours. Im am thinking on returning the TV to get a bigger size, but not if I will encounter the issues others have reported.

I'm in a similar situation as you are Alston80. I've been fortunate not to have experienced the buzzing sound or the excessive heat issues that others have experienced. I have the 55" GT50, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. I've only experienced some slight line bleed on the green motion picture screens with some movie previews using the VUDU App while watching movie previews. Otherwise, I have been absolutely floored by the amazing picture that the GT50 has displayed and wouldn't consider trading it for any other TV currently on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I must be lucky to have none of the issues listed on this thread on my 50GT50 from Amazon. No line bleed, buzzing, heat, etc... With the volume off, room quiet, and my head 1/4 inch away from the screen, I hear no buzzing whatsoever. Resting my hand on the screen is almost cool to touch. This is after running the TV for hours. Im am thinking on returning the TV to get a bigger size, but not if I will encounter the issues others have reported.

Odd at what you're saying. The heat, buzzing and especially the line bleed are traits of a plasma tv. I certainly don't know how you can say that your GT50 is cool to the touch on the screen after several hours of using it.
post #513 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

All plasmas run hot

Not my G10, nor do the ST30s i've set up for friends. The screen and the top of the rear cover (near the fans and vent holes) are warm, but nowhere near what i'd call hot - or even uncomfortably warm for that matter.

My 26" LCD TV runs hotter than all of my plasmas do (i've taken measurements).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #514 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Odd at what you're saying. The heat, buzzing and especially the line bleed are traits of a plasma tv.

Line bleed is indeed a trait of plasma but it's severity varies from display to display. I've seen it several times on the green preview screen on DVDs, but i've only seen it a few times on actual content and it was only during that particular scene.

While all plasmas buzz, the normal buzz is fairly quiet and can't be heard beyond a few feet. None of mine buzz beyond 2 feet, nor do any of my friends' plasmas. My friend did get one new ST30 that buzzed excessively loud so we returned it and it's replacement is virtually silent so the first one was definitely defective. If you can hear excessive buzzing beyond 5-6 feet then the TV is defective as this isn't normal.

Heat seems to vary from TV to TV and person to person. Some report little or no heat, some just warm, and some excessively hot. That tells me the hot ones have something that is out of spec - but it's not a trait.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #515 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Odd at what you're saying. The heat, buzzing and especially the line bleed are traits of a plasma tv. I certainly don't know how you can say that your GT50 is cool to the touch on the screen after several hours of using it.

It is just as I stated in my comments. None of the above plague my individual set. I have older Panasonic plasmas and none of those Buzz either. I may just be lucky.
post #516 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I think each individual has their own definition of what "Hot" is. The only way to have a scientific measurement of temperature is to take a thermal sensing gun and point it at the plasma tv in various spots to take temperature readings. Then and only then can people really start to compare temperatures and define what the average temperatures are on these plasma televisions. Until this is done then the term "hot" is all subjective to the individual. I don't know the exact temperature of my plasma television after operating it for a few hours, however to me it isn't too hot for my liking therefore I don't have an issue with my plasma being 'too hot". If a few of our forum members could get a thermal sensing gun and take some readings maybe we can start to pinpoint what the average temperatures are for these plasmas.
post #517 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemike1 View Post

I'm in a similar situation as you are Alston80. I've been fortunate not to have experienced the buzzing sound or the excessive heat issues that others have experienced. I have the 55" GT50, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. I've only experienced some slight line bleed on the green motion picture screens with some movie previews using the VUDU App while watching movie previews. Otherwise, I have been absolutely floored by the amazing picture that the GT50 has displayed and wouldn't consider trading it for any other TV currently on the market.

The picture is amazing. I have doubts the VT50 can do significantly better. I did get burn in from using the THX cinema mode exclusively on a channel with a logo. THX does not have any of the anti IR features enabled. The burn in did go away after a few hours once I used a picture setting with the pixel orbiter enabled.
post #518 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsather View Post

I can enable or disable the pixel orbiter on my 55GT50 using THX Cinema or THX Bright Room. I have very little buzz, no other issues mentioned here and the picture is amazing. Color is near perfect using THX Cinema, to me anyway. I'm one of the minority that likes Color Temp on Normal, Contrast 85, Brightness 35, Color 50, Sharpness 15.

Weird. On mine those controls are disabled. Can you tell me how you were able to change them? I have the latest software installed. Version 1.080.
post #519 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:

You have to change the Aspect Adjustment to Size 1, but I only do this for Directv or Cable watching. Size 2 disables the Pixel Orbiter.

Thanks. That worked. Using size 2 on custom does not disable the pixel orbiter though. Weird.
post #520 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 PM

I have been watching 3D movies pretty much all weekend and I am definitely happy with the 3D performance on the 50" GT50.

I find it outperforms the PN51E8000 in this regard, but I am curious how it compares to the PN59D7000 3D wise.

Can anyone comment on this?

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, its raining out here so I have every excuse to stay inside and watch TV.
post #521 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM

I'm starting to get worried that my 50" GT50 (as shown in my previous post) is showing above-average line bleed. Can anyone with more experience with plasmas tell me how mine stands relative to average?

I know some here have reported not seeing any line bleed but the effect isn't always visible and it's possible they might not have encountered the right kind of image to see it most prominently. As a benchmark, below is a jpg image of the MPAA preview green screen that I got from another thread about line bleed on this forum (I cannot recall where so apologies for not crediting the original poster).

Attachment 244286(click for full size)

I would be grateful, and I think it would be helpful to those of us new to plasma, if some others here with GT50's could display this image on their sets and post photos so we have a nice set of comparisons.

Here's an iphone snapshot of how the above image appears on my 50" GT50. I screened the image off an SD card via the media viewer. There's no THX presets for viewing photos so this is default cinema mode with no adjustments.

LL
post #522 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

The picture is amazing. I have doubts the VT50 can do significantly better. I did get burn in from using the THX cinema mode exclusively on a channel with a logo. THX does not have any of the anti IR features enabled. The burn in did go away after a few hours once I used a picture setting with the pixel orbiter enabled.

There is a lot of confusion about burn-in and image retention (IR). What you are describing is IR which goes away with normal use or some times with extra help.

Burn-in is permanent, and never goes away. For clarity, it's better to not use the two terms interchangeably.

Calibration Resources:

post #523 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

Here's an iphone snapshot of how the above image appears on my 50" GT50. I screened the image off an SD card via the media viewer. There's no THX presets for viewing photos so this is default cinema mode with no adjustments.

Your i Phone may be a contributor to what you're posting as a problem. Also, is your display set for dot by dot or is there ~5% over-scan?

Calibration Resources:

post #524 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I'm starting to get worried that my 50" GT50 (as shown in my previous post) is showing above-average line bleed. Can anyone with more experience with plasmas tell me how mine stands relative to average?

I know some here have reported not seeing any line bleed but the effect isn't always visible and it's possible they might not have encountered the right kind of image to see it most prominently. As a benchmark, below is a jpg image of the MPAA preview green screen that I got from another thread about line bleed on this forum (I cannot recall where so apologies for not crediting the original poster).

(click for full size)

I would be grateful, and I think it would be helpful to those of us new to plasma, if some others here with GT50's could display this image on their sets and post photos so we have a nice set of comparisons.

Attachment 244303

Mine looks similar to yours. I tried it on a led tv and it's perfect. No issues at all.
LL
post #525 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Your i Phone may be a contributor to what you're posting as a problem. Also, is your display set for dot by dot or is there ~5% over-scan?

My concern is of course based on real-life viewing of my GT50, not the iphone photos The banding as shown in the iphone photo is if anything perhaps a hair less prominent than how it appears to eye on the display. Unfortunately the iphone is my best tool available since I don't have a better camera at hand at the moment. It doesn't capture anywhere near the full range of contrast and color that appears on the plasma of course, but IMO it gives a pretty fair representation of the issue.

The image mode I used when viewing the mpaa screen was "cinema" which I believe does overscan a little. FWIW my earlier post with pics showing some line bleed in stills from a movie were in THX Cinema mode which is not overscanned. Does overscanning affect line bleed?

I'm just trying to figure out whether my set is showing more line bleed than is considered normal, and whether it's annoying enough to me to be a problem. And learn whether there's anything at all that can be done to minimize it.
post #526 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm one of the minority that likes Color Temp on Normal, Contrast 85, Brightness 35, Color 50, Sharpness 15.

Ooooh, one of THOSE, eh?
post #527 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Really contemplating wether or not I should of gone with the 55" GT50.

Anyone care to post their impressions of the quality of 3D?

I am wondering now since people are posting about better black levels on the 55" if this would also hold true to other technical aspects.

I have some time still to make the swap to the bigger size if I want.
post #528 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

I am wondering now since people are posting about better black levels on the 55" if this would also hold true to other technical aspects.

I have the 55" GT50 and so far from the 3D that I've watched on it I have been quite impressed. I've watched a few movie previews on the VUDU app (Disney 3D movie previews) and didn't notice any ghosting or cross talk while watching. My TV is on a stand at eye level and I'm sitting about 14' away from it. The new Bluetooth 3D glasses are very comfortable and so light weight that they're barely noticeable.
post #529 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Does overscanning affect line bleed?

All I can see in the picture that you posted is that text edges are a little softer than the original picture. Over scan does make font softer.

I don't own a Panasonic, and it seems the 2012 GT owner's manual refers to "Help" stored in the set for all that type of information. I believe that there are settings that you can select that include dot by dot display of the image just as it comes into the display.

For our Pioneer, the remote button is named "size" which allows you to cycle through all the various options like full, zoom, dot by dot, etc.

This might be what I'm referring to in the 2012 models as well.

Originally Posted by whipit in the TV-PxxVT30 owner's thread:

Full mode IS dot by dot mode provided "hd size" 2 is selected.

I would try selecting "Full" mode with "HD Size" set to 2 an see if that makes a difference.

Calibration Resources:

post #530 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM

I posted earlier about buzzing. Well my wife thinks I'm nuts and can only hear it within a foot. I really think I have some super sensitive hearing to that frequency to hear it further back. But with the BD player hum/fan whatever making noise, I can't hear he buzz. My kids don't hear, nor parents. Or I'm just imaging it! So don't let my comments deter you.

As for heat, I feel it some up close, and warm to the touch, but nothing scary or troubling or really unexpected considering I is a huge light source yet we all have light bulbs we dare not touch.

I have a temperature reader I use to measure air coming out of vents...I will aim it at the TV.
post #531 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemike1 View Post

I have the 55" GT50 and so far from the 3D that I've watched on it I have been quite impressed. I've watched a few movie previews on the VUDU app (Disney 3D movie previews) and didn't notice any ghosting or cross talk while watching. My TV is on a stand at eye level and I'm sitting about 14' away from it. The new Bluetooth 3D glasses are very comfortable and so light weight that they're barely noticeable.

Thanks for letting me know.

Do you happen to have Resident Evil 3D? I would be curious to know what you thought of that on the 55".
post #532 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
@D-nice have you gotten your hands on a GT50 yet? What are your impressions vs ST50.
I know you'll be at the 2012 face- off. I might be there for the Sunday sitting.
post #533 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

The # 1 reason for buyer remorse is size. More testing would have to be done from calibrators, I feel, to say the black levels are better on the larger sizes. From what I remember Panasonic smaller models where right on par with the larger.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #534 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The # 1 reason for buyer remorse is size. More testing would have to be done from calibrators, I feel, to say the black levels are better on the larger sizes. From what I remember Panasonic smaller models where right on par with the larger.

That is good to hear in regards to smaller models usually being on par with larger.

Another reason I am considering a larger size is basically for more 'immersion' in 3D. I am now embracing 3D fully and I am finding that on 2:35:1 ratio movies that I could really use a bigger screen.

The 2 main TV's that I am contemplating are 55" GT50 or a 60" GT30. Main deciding factors as you can tell are 3D quality. I mainly watch movies in general, very little TV.
post #535 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Are you not happy with the black level on your 50'' GT? Some have said it is great, and black bars on movies even blend in with the black borders of the tv.
post #536 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

I posted earlier about buzzing. Well my wife thinks I'm nuts and can only hear it within a foot. I really think I have some super sensitive hearing to that frequency to hear it further back. But with the BD player hum/fan whatever making noise, I can't hear he buzz. My kids don't hear, nor parents. Or I'm just imaging it! So don't let my comments deter you.

As for heat, I feel it some up close, and warm to the touch, but nothing scary or troubling or really unexpected considering I is a huge light source yet we all have light bulbs we dare not touch.

I have a temperature reader I use to measure air coming out of vents...I will aim it at the TV.

So I took temp readings. At top corners it's 115 F degrees, at center it's 104, and bottom corners it's 101.

I will measure my 47" LG for comparison later.
post #537 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Are you not happy with the black level on your 50'' GT? Some have said it is great, and black bars on movies even blend in with the black borders of the tv.

The black bars on BD movies are very dark and blend with the bezel. In 3D, they are lighter without glasses....but darker with glasses.

On cable shows, still dark but not as dark as BD, I think. I may have to compare again.
post #538 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM

[quote=Italian Dude;21939088]So I took temp readings. At top corners it's 115 F degrees, at center it's 104, and bottom corners it's 101.

I will measure my 47" LG for comparison

Please warm up the LG for the same duration as the GT was, display the same image used to take measurements on the GT, and measure from the same distance (hopefully at a 90 degree angle from the screen) . Data collected without appropriate control of variables can be misleading.
post #539 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

?...I have a laser temperature reader I use to measure air coming out of vents...I will aim it at the TV.

Dude, your reader is probably an infrared sensor win a laser sight so you can see where you're pointing it. I'll admit I'm a litte sensitive about lasers since the laser was invented by a close family friend and employee of my Dad at the Technical Research Group (TRG).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Gould
post #540 of 9798 Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

All I can see in the picture that you posted is that text edges are a little softer than the original picture. Over scan does make font softer.

I don't own a Panasonic, and it seems the 2012 GT owner's manual refers to "Help" stored in the set for all that type of information. I believe that there are settings that you can select that include dot by dot display of the image just as it comes into the display.

For our Pioneer, the remote button is named "size" which allows you to cycle through all the various options like full, zoom, dot by dot, etc.

This might be what I'm referring to in the 2012 models as well.

Originally Posted by whipit in the TV-PxxVT30 owner's thread:

Full mode IS dot by dot mode provided "hd size" 2 is selected.

I would try selecting "Full" mode with "HD Size" set to 2 an see if that makes a difference.

The screen snapshots I've posted weren't intended to showcase sharpness and are not a good reference for that since they're so compressed. For the record, the sharpness is excellent. My present concern is with line bleed and line bleed only.

So far I've seen line bleed whether overscanning or not but in any case I keep my set on the THX presets which are in fact HD size 2.

I watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones earlier tonight, and there was one shot where two actors were walking towards camera with a short flight of steps in the background in line with their faces, and I literally flinched because the skin tones were so butchered by the alternating bands crossing them. I suppose it's all the more jarring because the picture is so beautifully rendered 99.9% of the time.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page