Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #541 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

I watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones earlier tonight, and there was one shot where two actors were walking towards camera with a short flight of steps in the background in line with their faces, and I literally flinched because the skin tones were so butchered by the alternating bands crossing them. I suppose it's all the more jarring because the picture is so beautifully rendered 99.9% of the time.

I guess I'm no help with line bleed. It seems to me now that I've never see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

Dude, your reader is probably an infrared sensor win a laser sight so you can see where you're pointing it. I'll admit I'm a litte sensitive about lasers since the laser was invented by a close family friend and employee of my Dad at the Technical Research Group (TRG).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Gould

Yeah, I caught that on the second post and removed the word laser as I have no idea what it uses. I just edited the original as well to remove the word laser to not confuse further.
post #543 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If any of you who own this set are disappointed that the web browser will never support flash and/or want it please contact Panasonic and let them know.

post #544 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

If any of you who own this set are disappointed that the web browser will never support flash and/or want it please contact Panasonic and let them know.

Hopefully it supports HTML5 fully, or will through an update which may help as companies replace flash or offer it separately. Or expand the app offerings. Using an iPad and iPhone has broken me of visiting flash sites.
post #545 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM

I've been lurking the forums here for a couple of months and wanted to say "Hello" and "Thank You" to the posters here.

I had been struggling trying to find something in the 55" range to finally replace an antique XBR 36" tube in the living room. After countless hours spent on AVSForum, and other manufacturer and review sites, I finally headed out yesterday determined to purchase something. As luck would have it, my local BB/Magnolia had a 50GT50 set up on display and I was able to compare it to a couple of the other LED LCD options I had been considering. I must admit that I had initially dismissed plasma, but in the end I ended up buying a 55GT50. Delivery scheduled for Wednesday. Can't wait....
post #546 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM

I'm trying to decide between purchasing the ST50 or the GT50. So just wondering reasons why you all chose the GT50. Do you feel that the extra $400 for the GT50 is worth it? From what I've read on reviews seems like after calibration the ST50 did better or same as GT50 in terms of picture quality color and black levels.
post #547 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

The black bars on BD movies are very dark and blend with the bezel. In 3D, they are lighter without glasses....but darker with glasses.

On cable shows, still dark but not as dark as BD, I think. I may have to compare again.

Yeah, thats pretty sweet. That is definetly darker than on my 51'' E8000 then. It seems odd that the black level would vary noticeably from input to input though (as long as the HDMI's are the same quality).

3D it seems will always make the blacks lighter, but like you said with the glasses on they go back to normal.
post #548 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Does the GT have a 10 point white balance and color maneagement system like the Samsung's? Or at least something similar?
post #549 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Are you not happy with the black level on your 50'' GT? Some have said it is great, and black bars on movies even blend in with the black borders of the tv.

The Black Level is actually quite great and I have zero complaints, they do tend to blend in with the borders of the TV.

It's just I keep hearing a lot of various people posting, here and other sites, that the 55" + models, have better blacks.

3D would be my biggest reason to jump to the next size up, better blacks would only sweeten the deal.
post #550 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Does the GT have a 10 point white balance and color maneagement system like the Samsung's? Or at least something similar?

No. 2 point only. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

The VT50 will have 10pt balance and CMS, however.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #551 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

Would you mind taking some pics of the Media player, and if you have any AVIs ,mp4s, mkvs comment on how they played.. I'm interested to see if this will render my WDTV useless.

Greatly appreciated.

I tested the DLNA server feature finally using Windows Media Center as the server. It instantly showed the TV as a device and allowed access. I went the the TV Tools menu, opened DLNA and it showed the PC. I played an MTS file and MP4 file and both worked fine. I will try an AVI and have to see if I have mkvs to test. I will post a couple of screenshots too, but wanted to give you a quick update til I get it all tested.
post #552 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Can any GT30 owners, who also now own the GT50, give me a general consensus as to which they feel is better in overall quality?

Thank you.
post #553 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

While all plasmas buzz, the normal buzz is fairly quiet and can't be heard beyond a few feet. None of mine buzz beyond 2 feet, nor do any of my friends' plasmas. My friend did get one new ST30 that buzzed excessively loud so we returned it and it's replacement is virtually silent so the first one was definitely defective. If you can hear excessive buzzing beyond 5-6 feet then the TV is defective as this isn't normal.

This frustrates me. I've had 4 plasmas. 2 G20's. 1 GT30. I also had the boards completely replaced *TWICE* on the G20. All of them buzzed at 9' easily audible. Insanity. And now the GT50's are out and I want one. Why? Because my GT30 has green blobs and buzzes greatly on axis. I sit off axis with head phones so its not really a problem. I make other people sit directly in front of the TV where the buzzing is bad. Some people are completely immune to buzzing. But I won't get one. I've played this game before. I never win. I get screwed by Panasonic who gets annoyed over my buzzing complaints. Hopefully this year we don't have a defect. But something tells me we will. There is always something. Next TV I buy will be OLED. 2010 had floating blacks. 2011 has the green blobs && floating brightness if you early adopted!. 2012? Who knows? All of them buzz, thats what Pana's tech told me. (So get over it) If this year truly is the year without a major defect, I'll wait till November to get one cheap. Until then, one incident is as good as a product wide defect (in my eyes and my luck)

Buy from Costco people. That is my advice. Amazon.com only gives you 14 days. Plus, who wants to mess with all that shipping.
post #554 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon gives you 30 days to return (free) and 14 day price guarantee.

post #555 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Amazon gives you 30 days according to their return policy on TV's.

Ok, now I have some questions about this TV that are worrying me.

1) I've been breaking the TV in with mostly movies (zoomed or BD) and some TV only viewing static images for short lengths of time and I notice a faint line at the very bottom of the screen that is slightly darker than the surroundings (at 60 hours or so). Do I really have IR? It won't go away either, what do I do? I've tried watching movies for hours and using the wipe. Perhaps its not IR. It is hardly visible. I hope the bright ice of the hockey game did not cause this!

2) Hockey is a problem. On Standard Mode I notice massive fluctuations in brightness when watching a game. Now, it seems to not be a problem on THX or Custom modes, why is this?

3) Is it safe to use THX mode for TV given that the pixel orbiter can't be selected?

4) How safe is it to game on this TV? I'm concerned that it would cause too much IR? Do you have to game in the 'too bright' game mode for safety purposes? I don't like that.

5) What are the best settings for watching sports?

6) Is Standard Mode only useful if you turn off CATS since it is usually very dim. Otherwise, what is the purpose of Standard mode with CATS on? It seems too dim during the day?

7) How come CATS seems to make the image too DIM in my room, rather than adjusting the image properly to the light?

8) Should I be using the motion enhancement function on sports or does it make no difference? Motion enhancer causes certain elements like tickers to flicker. Why is this?

9) Static screens like web browser or BDS screens flicker which is annoying, can this be improved?

Thanks for your help
Aq
post #556 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM

I have the screenshots of DLNA but can't post them from my iPhone since the options are greeted out, so I need to download the app. I can't find mkv files to test with.

I also left a channel on for an hour with a logo, no IR.
I left the puss n boots BD on the main menu for over an hour, no IR.

I see no line bleeds, nor other strange lines. I don't watch hockey, but did since so many talk about it for testing. I see some brightness at times, but swear it looks like camera flashes, looked normal to me. I don't see any type of fluctuations.

I double checked black border levels on BD vs cable and can't tell a difference, so I retract what I said earlier about possibly being different.

3D mode is awesome. Watched Alice in Wonderland and Puss n Boots.
post #557 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Hockey in standard mode is funky. There is something wrong with the brightness. One moment its dim, next moment bright. Switch to THX or Custom and it doesn't happen. The flashes are there, but not the sudden change in brightness.
post #558 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

I have the screenshots of DLNA but can't post them from my iPhone since the options are greeted out, so I need to download the app. I can't find mkv files to test with.

I also left a channel on for an hour with a logo, no IR.
I left the puss n boots BD on the main menu for over an hour, no IR.

I see no line bleeds, nor other strange lines. I don't watch hockey, but did since so many talk about it for testing. I see some brightness at times, but swear it looks like camera flashes, looked normal to me. I don't see any type of fluctuations.

I double checked black border levels on BD vs cable and can't tell a difference, so I retract what I said earlier about possibly being different.

3D mode is awesome. Watched Alice in Wonderland and Puss n Boots.

I have attached the DLNA pics in order from main menu to each step of the choices to a movie playing at two different distances.

I can't use standard mode for anything, the quality is bad. I wonder if the source has anything to do with it. Maybe you can try from different channels or a movie scene of hockey. Just a thought.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #559 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Why would anyone choose to watch a Panasonic in Standard mode?

post #560 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM

So what do you watch sports in?

Anyway, if you turn off CATS, it seems bright enough in Standard mode.

Why does CATS make everything so dark anyway? Darker than it should be.
post #561 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Standard is the worst mode to watch anything. It is the one mode that meets energy standards. It's abilities are limited.

Watch sports in any other mode, adjusting it to get the image you desire.

post #562 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM

If watching in the THX mode, you don't get the pixel orbiter.

I just want to know why the hockey has such problems in standard mode.

When you say abilities are limited, in what way? With CATS off, the brightness is fine IMO.

Also, did anyone see my list of questions above. I'd appreciate some help on those.
post #563 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post

It is just as I stated in my comments. None of the above plague my individual set. I have older Panasonic plasmas and none of those Buzz either. I may just be lucky.

Panasonic usually do not get buzzing complaints........
post #564 of 9827 Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

My new GT50 buzzes. I can hear it when there is a bright scene with no sound or very low, around 6 feet from the set. It is rather low in volume and is not high pitched.
post #565 of 9827 Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackjack22 View Post

So you can hook up a hard drive to the tv right?Does anybody know if you can would you be able to play flac audio files,mkv files,dvd iso and bd rom video and iso files?

Does the St version of the tv have the hard drive feature?If it wasn't for st version only having 14 ms lag and gt version having 30 ms lag for gaming itd be clear choice for gt.

I've got the GT50 55" and it plays video files great from a flash/thumb drive, but I can't get it to read a portable hard drive when formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. I have a 16GB thumb drive that works great, plus the DLNA reads most files right off your networked PC.
post #566 of 9827 Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

Would you mind taking some pics of the Media player, and if you have any AVIs ,mp4s, mkvs comment on how they played.. I'm interested to see if this will render my WDTV useless.

Greatly appreciated.

The GT50 plays MKVs beautifully, though I've had some issues with older MP4s that were converted to play on my XBOX 360. I've been playing 1080p MKVs, both 2D and 3D from a 2005 P4 running Win7 with zero issues. One thing to note is that it will not recognize DTS audio, you'll need to convert using something like Popcorn MKV.
post #567 of 9827 Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM

I noticed buzzing on my new 55gt50 as soon as I plugged it in and can hear it from 7' away clearly on moderate to bright content.

Other than the buzz the TV is excellent and I hope I can get used to it.
post #568 of 9827 Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

Amazon gives you 30 days according to their return policy on TV's.

Ok, now I have some questions about this TV that are worrying me.

1) I've been breaking the TV in with mostly movies (zoomed or BD) and some TV only viewing static images for short lengths of time and I notice a faint line at the very bottom of the screen that is slightly darker than the surroundings (at 60 hours or so). Do I really have IR? It won't go away either, what do I do? I've tried watching movies for hours and using the wipe. Perhaps its not IR. It is hardly visible. I hope the bright ice of the hockey game did not cause this!

2) Hockey is a problem. On Standard Mode I notice massive fluctuations in brightness when watching a game. Now, it seems to not be a problem on THX or Custom modes, why is this?

3) Is it safe to use THX mode for TV given that the pixel orbiter can't be selected?

4) How safe is it to game on this TV? I'm concerned that it would cause too much IR? Do you have to game in the 'too bright' game mode for safety purposes? I don't like that.

5) What are the best settings for watching sports?

6) Is Standard Mode only useful if you turn off CATS since it is usually very dim. Otherwise, what is the purpose of Standard mode with CATS on? It seems too dim during the day?

7) How come CATS seems to make the image too DIM in my room, rather than adjusting the image properly to the light?

8) Should I be using the motion enhancement function on sports or does it make no difference? Motion enhancer causes certain elements like tickers to flicker. Why is this?

9) Static screens like web browser or BDS screens flicker which is annoying, can this be improved?

Thanks for your help
Aq

Could someone please help a newbie like me with these questions? Thanks!
post #569 of 9827 Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

Could someone please help a newbie like me with these questions? Thanks!

There are exact, quantifiable numbers for the correct picture settings. If you don't care for them personally, you can always adjust the settings to your liking for specific sources. As far as Standard mode goes, there seem to be some strange things going on with it (probably has something to do with "energy-savings" being built into that mode), so just don't use it if you don't like it. Sticking with THX and custom (you could adjust custom for gaming, for example) is the best idea. For motion enhancement, the generally accepted feeling is that it is no good, but again, if you like it, you can use it. In a nutshell: use the settings that make you happiest with your purchase.
post #570 of 9827 Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Liked: 13
Italian Dude, RealSoulfulDude, thank you so much for info.
I look forward to upgrading my 7 year old HDMIless 42 ED Panny to 50 or 55 GT50..
and retiring WDTV as well... will get Apple TV and hack it for kartina.tv (russian IPTV)

Although , the bargain hunter in me is wondering if ST50 has similar performance with media files on attached storage or via DLNA.. Is it GT50s dual core that does all the heavy lifting, or is there something else like on ST50 that handles media files? I asked same question in ST50 thread but haven't gotten an answer yet....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page