Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 190 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5671 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
If this tv doesnt get bright enough then you are used to watching a tv that is far too bright. With the proper settings no one should complain about brightness unless the sun is blazing straight onto the set in which case you need curtains.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

As rmallen indicated the brightness / contrast is probably a little to high. What you can see 2 feet away is irrelevant; please tell me you don't plan on sitting 2 feet away to watch the display rolleyes.gif Plasma dithering can start to take on a grainy / noisy look if the output is too high. Even if its calibrated to perfection, dithering will always be present. Another possibility is low level noise from your disk player or noise introduced by your cabling.

There are no other "defects" to speak of. There have been a few reports of part of the screen being dead or big green lines, but these are quite obvious. Someone reported a dead HDMI #4. A few reports of wonky stands and distorted sound when the volume was at 70 or some useless level like that.

No hardware "fixes" have been introduced for any manufacture date. There have been a few firmware updates so just let the TV update itself if it wants to wink.gif
I am having extreme dithering on my GT50 on all my sources Blu-Ray Cablebox and have THK and also custom from C-net settings. It can be seen from 10' away and is very disturbing, I am looking for any help I can get from the knowledgeable people on this forum.
post #5673 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD80k View Post

So with 2 point is there really much a calibrator can do with these sets? I'm curious what the secret to getting the best picture is. My wife and I find ourselves really trying to push this thing to get brighter with more pop. The brighter we make the panel the more grainier the picture gets. I calm it down or go into THX and it's too dark and we lose detail-yet the blacks look nice and inky as billed. Is this to be expected? what are the specific settings that I should really be toggling the most to try and balance this out?

Also is it common for the foreground to always look very good and very details but have grainy backgrounds?

TX
2 point in the consumer menu doesn't mean much to a professional calibrator. They do a lot of work in the Service menu.

They have the same 2 point controls in the service menu. The exception is you they can adjust more than just Custom from the service menu.
post #5674 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

They have the same 2 point controls in the service menu. The exception is you they can adjust more than just Custom from the service menu.

Service menu adjustments are done on a color temp basis, warm, normal and cool. So consequently those changes impact all picture modes. Really no difference as HD master indicated same drive and cut controls just less user friendly. But in answer to the OP question, a very good calibration can be coaxed out of just the two point controls.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5675 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Well that great. We are about 50/50. Weekdays in the evenings (in the summer its still light). Weekends all day both days...my wife loves football as much as me. So the LED's look bad at night? why is that?

LCD can't produce black. There is always some light leaking through the panel. At night, when you are watching content with black in it you will only get a dark shade of gray. It looks kinda mucky. There can be quite a few inconsistencies in the lighting used to illuminate an LCD. Edge lit LED can produce bright rays and blotches all around the edge that can be excessive and highly distracting. Top end back lit LED do better because they are programmed to shut off certain sections of the lighting when it's not needed. These models are far less popular because they are very expensive. I'm not going to list all the problems but another big one is the poor off-axis viewing from most LCD panels. As your viewing position moves toward the sides instead of head on from the center, the black level further degrades and the color begins to wash-out.
post #5676 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Quote:

Service menu adjustments are done on a color temp basis, warm, normal and cool. So consequently those changes impact all picture modes. Really no difference as HD master indicated same drive and cut controls just less user friendly. But in answer to the OP question, a very good calibration can be coaxed out of just the two point controls.

I agree 100%
post #5677 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If this tv doesnt get bright enough then you are used to watching a tv that is far too bright. With the proper settings no one should complain about brightness unless the sun is blazing straight onto the set in which case you need curtains.

At night, I absolutely agree that this set is more than bright enough. I also agree that most LCD's are probably set too high.

The "pop-less" daytime image is related to 2 things. 1) not enough brightness from the panel to compensate for the brightness of the room and 2) the loss of black. During the daytime turn off your plasma set and look at the screen. It's not black. Whatever it is, it's the blackest black that can be produced in that room with the current lighting. It's almost a mid-level gray. That kills contrast and gives you a washed out picture.

LCD's can be cranked up far beyond plasma levels to give much brighter whites. The power off screen will still not be black but the brighter whites give a higher relative contrast ratio and more of this pop factor that people like.

At some point when the ambient lighting decreases both types of displays are close to equal. As you keep getting a darker room the plasma image looks better because you don't need the extra brightness and the higher absolute contrast ratio of plasma takes the prize.

It totally depends on the viewing environment. Everyone has different conditions. My set is in the corner of a "great room" flooded by daylight from a wall of glass. It gets "soft" during the daytime. The GT50 still provides a viewable / acceptable picture but its no where as good as it looks later in the day.
post #5678 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 12
Also add in the thx brightroom which while somewhat extreme for my viewing conditions I can see being a solid choice in a very bright room. My calibrated brightroom looks nice but so far I haven't had to use it as custom has plenty of output in my room.
post #5679 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlw1956 View Post

I am having extreme dithering on my GT50 on all my sources Blu-Ray Cablebox and have THK and also custom from C-net settings. It can be seen from 10' away and is very disturbing, I am looking for any help I can get from the knowledgeable people on this forum.

Two quick suggestions: 1) Do a reset then start fresh. Someone had some issues that were remedied by a reset. 2) Track down a simple set of test patterns with at least a gray scale / brightness pattern that has "video black" and see if you can lower the brightness or contrast or panel level or some combo of any of these until the picture cleans-up while still maintaining the full gray scale.

All of the posted settings here are starting points. No two sets ate exactly the same. You may need additional tweaking.

You should not be seeing gross distracting dithering from 10 feet away. Maybe someone else will have some other thoughts.
post #5680 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM

Thank you for your help, I'm not sure how to do a reset to my TV.
post #5681 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
HD-master ,,just put in your daytime settings smile.gif Try nighttime ones tonight
Only thing i changed was the temp,,its at "normal",,maybe someday i'll get used to warm 1,2 ,,but at least its a step in the right direction ,right wink.gif
How are the 3D settings coming ,,i'm anxious to see them ,,thanks
post #5682 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlw1956 View Post

Thank you for your help, I'm not sure how to do a reset to my TV.

This is just a simple reset from the top option on the screen after you push menu. I think it says "reset to defaults".

There may be some uber system reset as well but I don't think you need that ( yet wink.gif )
post #5683 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if you guys were going to try an LED would you even consider the Samsung E8000 to get into a 60" or would it be the HX950 55" (knowing the 65" or an Elite is just too much $$)?
post #5684 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if you guys were going to try an LED would you even consider the Samsung E8000 to get into a 60" or would it be the HX950 55" (knowing the 65" or an Elite is just too much $$)?
The HX950 and the Elite are the only LED's that can compete with the Panasonic or Samsung plasmas.
post #5685 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Missing the chance of getting a USD300 discount on a 50GT50 today (collections are late this month).

mad.gif

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #5686 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

What I do have trouble spotting Are the 'inky blacks' everyone speaks of with this set. As it is today, It still looks like it has a little light haze like my LCD does. Less haze but certainly not deep black as I can tell. This is when it's night time with all lights off. Am I missing something? I am using the various ootb modes. The only test content is the standby screen of my fios box where it's a black background with Verizon moving around like a screen saver. What's good to see the blacks on this thing?

Your panel does get better as the more it is used, the blacks are the best in 2012 models. Use custom settings and watch a bluray movie such as Reel Steel and you will notice how awesome the blacks are. Not a Verizon background rolleyes.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5687 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM

I am noticing the GT50 improving with more actual viewing(non-slide) time. That said I just walked into BB and a guy was returning an HX950 55"for a 65. Got the open box price. Shootout is about to commence. I'm anxious to see the differences in my room.
post #5688 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I am noticing the GT50 improving with more actual viewing(non-slide) time. That said I just walked into BB and a guy was returning an HX950 55"for a 65. Got the open box price. Shootout is about to commence. I'm anxious to see the differences in my room.
Mine did. I thought it was great when I first turned it on, but I swore after every day I swear it was a better t.v. It's leaved off now.
post #5689 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM

I did look for a total reset of the TV on this forum, and I did reset it and as of right now it looks better than it did. The dithering is not so easily seen as it was before, but I am going to give it a better test when I have more time. Thank you for your help.
post #5690 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM

What are the ideal settings on a directv box with the GT50. Check all the resolutions or just the 1080i, 1080p. Does it make a difference do that vs. having all resolutions checked?
post #5691 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerwilson View Post

What are the ideal settings on a directv box with the GT50. Check all the resolutions or just the 1080i, 1080p. Does it make a difference do that vs. having all resolutions checked?

With the GT50, I prefer Native set to off (on the DirecTV receiver) and all resolutions checked EXCEPT 720p (on the DirecTV receiver).
post #5692 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM

For my fellow HTPC users, are there any special settings I should have on the PC other than just setting the resolution to 1080p?

I'm using an Nvidia card

55GT50 on HTPC via HDMI
post #5693 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:

With the GT50, I prefer Native set to off (on the DirecTV receiver) and all resolutions checked EXCEPT 720p (on the DirecTV receiver).

Can you tell us how to get to the Native setting?
post #5694 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Can you tell us how to get to the Native setting?

Menu -> Settings & Help -> Settings -> Display -> Video
post #5695 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Gents

I want to thank everyone for their input. I truly appreciate it. I almost feel bad for the people who aren't aware of the forums and the excellent advice available to make these sets look so darn good. I made some tweaks tonight and made some equipment changes. I am blown away by this picture. I can't wait to share the details and settings and see if I can return the favor to some of the other guys that were having the same issues. Let me just say don't be to quick to give up on the TV.Mine looks better than the floor models at best buy.

We turned the HX950 off after the first qtr of the Pats Ravens game. Since I brought it home i'm going to take some time to give it a fair shake and tweak it the best I can just to see, may as well.
post #5696 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks HD-Master. Mine was set that way. As far as unchecking 720...what would that do? I found that for TV watching that's only coming 1080i, when i switched to 720 the picture improved.

Thanks
post #5697 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks HD-Master. Mine was set that way. As far as unchecking 720...what would that do? I found that for TV watching that's only coming 1080i, when i switched to 720 the picture improved.

Thanks

The 2012 Panny's appear to deal with 1080i better than 720p.
post #5698 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Set it however it looks best.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5699 of 9787 Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM

I dogged that Panamax 4300 earlier. Turns out i had some things plugged into the nonfiltered outlets. Tried it again and it cleaned up all of that grainy noise. I have zero graininess. Not needing the pricey 950, my wife is cool with new Receiver, Blue ray player, and sound bar if only I can find an affordable one that won't block the remote signal for the TV.
post #5700 of 9787 Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 14
went over to HDJ and saw the disclaimer from D-NICE about his GT50 settings. To date Ive dialed in close to 30 hours of mixed content. His warning states dont use the settings without doing the panel prep process to the T...

Is there any adverse effect of using the settings if I didn't do the panel prep process? Ive already used HD-MASTER and CNets Katzmeiers...

Watched the Ravens/Pats game using HD-MASTER settings and it was pretty awesome!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page