Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As many of you may know this time of year the deals for previous year models get reduced! With that said, I am going for it -- Panasonic PC60GT50 unit discounted now to less than the $1700 by the national big giant online retailer (not to endorse/advertise the name here). Based on what I have read here I think I will be happy with this set. I am finally retiring my Fujitsu 50" unit after a great 6+ years of trouble free service. It is still working, no issues whatsoever but after doing a major reno including chairs/cabinet/in wall speakers this Fujitsu doesn't blend too nice and besides I have to catch up with the times! What do you guys (gals) think I could get for the Fujitsu, I cannot justify just throwing it to the curb -- ideas? confused.gif

[SIZE]1[/SIZE]...love life -- listen to music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by htesolutions View Post

As many of you may know this time of year the deals for previous year models get reduced! With that said, I am going for it -- Panasonic PC60GT50 unit discounted now to less than the $1700 by the national big giant online retailer (not to endorse/advertise the name here). Based on what I have read here I think I will be happy with this set. I am finally retiring my Fujitsu 50" unit after a great 6+ years of trouble free service. It is still working, no issues whatsoever but after doing a major reno including chairs/cabinet/in wall speakers this Fujitsu doesn't blend too nice and besides I have to catch up with the times! What do you guys (gals) think I could get for the Fujitsu, I cannot justify just throwing it to the curb -- ideas? confused.gif
Nothing to do with your particular tv but you wont be able to get anything worthwhile for a 6 year old tv. I would put it in a bedroom or something. I have a 2009 LG 47LH90. Flagship Full LED w/Local Dimming, THX certified, 240 Hz. MSRP $2100. I cant get $500 for it and its like new.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5853 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
There are places you can donate old TVs, many of which will come and pick them up. May be harder if you're in a rural area I guess.

I've got a 50" Sony RPTV I need to get rid of myself. Asking around if some friends want it first, if not it will get donated. There's some similar models listed on Craigslist in my city for $100. But who knows if they're selling and I don't want to have strangers in my house. So I'd rather just give it away as it's not worth the hassle to sell for maybe $100.
post #5854 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Wow nice 3D settings HD master. Been watching Avatar and Finding Nemo this morning to check them out. Better and brighter than THX3D on my t.v. Feel like I should pay you.
post #5855 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Cole View Post

Wow nice 3D settings HD master. Been watching Avatar and Finding Nemo this morning to check them out. Better and brighter than THX3D on my t.v. Feel like I should pay you.

No need! Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5856 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 10
I just got my GT50 and currently testing D-Nice, Black Ops and HD-Masters configs.The picture quality is so much better than my Samsung UN46B7000 that took a dump a couple of weeks back.

I do hear the buzzing sound from 9-10 feet away. It kinda reminds me of the old tube TV's. The only reason I hear it because I'm looking for the sound. My wife and two kids haven't heard it once.

After playing my reference bluray (Lord of the rings extended edition). I sometimes see digital noise when I'm looking at the sky. is there a way to minimize the noise.

My bluray is a LG bd390
YCbCr
24 frames.
post #5857 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Seriously? Get the GT. Some of us would have killed for that deal when they first came out. No offense but if you're sweating $49 like that should you be buying a $1000 tv?

+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

It's not just the extra features but the look itself, the GT-50 looks more high end in my opinion.

+++
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post

i had the same question and went with the GT50.
It was an easy decision.
The blacks are a little better. The TV is thinner and has a much higher end look than the ST50.

+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Thinner bezel and real metal strip all round. ST50 are plastic.

+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

ST has a very plastic'y look about it. GT has a more refined and "professional" look. PQ is about the same but I think the GT has a darker filter and may therefore give a better black level. That extra HDMI connector on the GT may be needed at some point. Dual core processor isn't too important today but may be useful later on. For $50, I don't think it's a hard decision.

+++
I also remember reading one of the articles for the top five TVs for 2012. The VT was number one and then I think the elite was number two, not really sure though, and the GT50 and ST50 tied for third-place. The only reason the ST50 was in there with the GT50 was because of its price point. At 50 bucks difference I don't think the ST50 would've made it. This is just my opinion from what I Remember reading in the article.
post #5858 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM

Liked: 21
Thanks for the 3-D settings HD Master. Going to have to give those a try. Really don't have any 3-D movies yet and I just got my first set of glasses. The stores and some online retailers seem to be out of the Panasonic models so I got the Samsung SSG-4100GB. Price is a factor and did not want to pay 70+ dollars for 3-D glasses. They seem to work okay but I do get a little bit of reflection from what's going on behind and side of me. BTW I also like your warm 2 settings over warm 1. But warm 1 is still very nice. I will try your 3-D settings on KZ3. Good job And thanks again!
post #5859 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

No need! Enjoy!

+1
So far your configs are on the top of list..Not just because I grew up in bronx smile.gif
post #5860 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

No need! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor M View Post

+1
So far your configs are on the top of list..Not just because I grew up in bronx smile.gif

Same here. I put the settings in a week or two ago after using other posted settings. I would keep ending up back at THX Cinema. The HD Master settings have been the best of the bunch. I tweaked a bit with spears and munsil blu ray but everything that you could tweak with it was already pretty close to spot on.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #5861 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD80k View Post

... so I can decide if i need to exchange for another GT, or perhaps get into a different model like a VT, or just move into LED. For comparison i'm running a 55" HX950 side by side and not seeing any of these issues. ...

1. How do I know what degree of picture uniformity, blotchiness, DSE, and temporary IR is acceptable? Is the DSE i'm mentioned pretty much normal for just about any plasma? If I exchange will i just have similar issues in other spots?

2. Should I rerun slides but on a brighter setting to age the pixels more? if so will the DSE go away? Will it take care of other issues?

3. Would a VT50 have less of these issues?

Sorry to jumble up the forum with this guys but i'm new to plasma and i have nowhere else to turn.

You are probably in a better position to tell us if the GT50 can compete. Very few (if any) of us have ever had a in home side by side comparison with a 950. For the price difference, I would have to hope the Sony is leaps and bounds ahead of the Panasonic.

As for some of your questions: 1) DSE is not a plasma only issue. It is a wide spread issue with all forms of flat panel displays. I have see crazy bad DSE from edge lit LCD that would make you want to cry. My GT is much cleaner than most of the displays I have seen but its certainly not perfect. IR has been talked to death here. Some have it some don't. Personally I'd say zero is the acceptable limit. To me, zero means you can't see it unless you unleash a host of uniformity tests and search for it. Mine has less than zero; meaning that you can't find any even if search aggressively for it (I've looked).

2) slides won't effect DSE anymore than running your car through a car wash would remove dents. Slides could help erase IR but so will the internal wiper, static, normal video, and time.

3) VT is essentially the same panel with a slightly darker filter. It will have the same issues.

Only you can judge if the degree of any of these things is un-acceptable. If it bothers you, it's un-acceptable. No two panels are going to be exactly the same so if you feel the one you have is a problem then you should try an exchange or if you like the 950 better just bounce the GT out the door. It's at the end of its production cycle now anyway. The only people shopping for a GT now should be those looking for a price drop. The GT could be a real bargain here or it could be a mistake depending on what the 2013's have to offer.
post #5862 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor M View Post

I just got my GT50 and ........... I do hear the buzzing sound from 9-10 feet away. It kinda reminds me of the old tube TV's. The only reason I hear it because I'm looking for the sound. My wife and two kids haven't heard it once.

I'm also sensitive to tube TV buzz - i was always able to hear the CRT buzz with my 27" Sony Trinitron and Panasonic 32" tube TVs but my 50GT50 is silent at one foot away (as is my G10). Our 2005 PX50 in the den is much louder and i can hear it buzzing at 5 feet but nobody else that watches it can hear it from that distance, so my hearing is just fine.

Your GT50 has a defect if you can hear it at that distance and you might want to consider exchanging it while you still can, or call for repair.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #5863 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM

yea I was afraid of that. Unfortunately Pauls TV has no more 55 gt50 Plus I have to speak to them as they delivered it with a small crack in the side of the bezel. Took me about an hour to notice it.
post #5864 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

You are probably in a better position to tell us if the GT50 can compete. Very few (if any) of us have ever had a in home side by side comparison with a 950. For the price difference, I would have to hope the Sony is leaps and bounds ahead of the Panasonic.

As for some of your questions: 1) DSE is not a plasma only issue. It is a wide spread issue with all forms of flat panel displays. I have see crazy bad DSE from edge lit LCD that would make you want to cry. My GT is much cleaner than most of the displays I have seen but its certainly not perfect. IR has been talked to death here. Some have it some don't. Personally I'd say zero is the acceptable limit. To me, zero means you can't see it unless you unleash a host of uniformity tests and search for it. Mine has less than zero; meaning that you can't find any even if search aggressively for it (I've looked).

2) slides won't effect DSE anymore than running your car through a car wash would remove dents. Slides could help erase IR but so will the internal wiper, static, normal video, and time.

3) VT is essentially the same panel with a slightly darker filter. It will have the same issues.

Only you can judge if the degree of any of these things is unacceptable. If it bothers you, it's unacceptable. No two panels are going to be exactly the same so if you feel the one you have is a problem then you should try an exchange or if you like the 950 better just bounce the GT out the door. It's at the end of its production cycle now anyway. The only people shopping for a GT now should be those looking for a price drop. The GT could be a real bargain here or it could be a mistake depending on what the 2013's have to offer.

Tpoll,

Thanks for reply. I guess from reading the forum I became somewhat conditioned that I should expect to live with some degree of imperfection with the GT and plasma in general. I was thinking I got lucky that my right side vertical band cleaned up and that the buzz issue can only be heard when i stick my ear up to the tv. So the DSE was only 1 out of 3 issues-doing good right? Overall I think plasmas present more grainy picture noise vs LED from all that I have seen. I think i could live with that to some degree.

As for comparison I am happy to share since some may be interested, BUT I don't t want to appear to be selling the Sony and slamming the GT on a GT thread. I really would like for the GT to work out.

As you stated, the Sony is far superior. My wife nor I can find a single issue with the Sony's picture. I don't have to fight with settings to get what i'm looking for. I did my best to set each display at their best yet tried to dial in so the overall color, gamma, warmth, saturation, brightness, contrast, noise reduction were all similar for a fair comparison. I made sure to try at least 3 of the most popular settings from the forum for each then made minor tweaks for my room and taste using a variety of content. I have also dimmed the backlight on the Sony a bit so it's not unfair or unrealistically bright.

The Sony has amazing contrast, deep inky blacks and beautiful whites. At times the GT looks more gray than black and a little washed out directly in front of me almost like what an LED would look like in off angle viewing. The Sony does wash out slightly from off angle but for my room I don't plan to watch off angle so non issue.

There are zero motion issues/soap opera effect on the Sony. I have noticed zero blooming, banding, or DSE on anything I have watched although I haven't gone out of my way with slides or blu ray menus to try and find it.

Color saturation on Sony is richer with more pop. As currently set the GT does hold it's own. However in custom mode the minute you take brightness, sharpness, or color beyond 50%, or take panel brightness beyond mid, color saturation, contrast, and black levels start to diminish. The Sony on the other hand has the ability to get much brighter and even more colorful while maintaining it's attributes. The GT is kind of a one trick pony if you will.

What really impresses and excites the most about the 950 is the ability to accentuate such finite detail in dark areas or a brick wall etc...without the need to use any enhancement features. Perhaps the extreme contrast of black/white is responsible for the superb grayscale and detail. Gt is not bad, not quite as crisp, but again integrity of detail on GT diminishes and blurrs somewhat the moment you start to tweak the picture out of that very narrow comfort zone.

The Sony displays almost no pixelation or noise which is really nice on non HD content. Watching HD movies or sports, the Gt does almost as well, though it does a better job smoothing out the noise and accentuating detail when motion smoother is set to medium or strong. Doing so matches the Sony closer in detail and less grainy backgrounds. This works well on football for example but movies, shows etc display an intolerable degree of soap opera effect on the Gt whereas the Sony has none using zero enhancement features. Everyday non HD movie viewing is where the GT's precision starts to lose the race.

As neither are calibrated, nor am i a seasoned pro settings guy, I hesitate to comment and sound ignorant but setting the best I can using various content here is what I notice: blue's and greens are similar on both with greens having a tad more bite on the Sony. Yellows and oranges on the Sony are much better and richer. Reds are very similar on both. Earth tones on the Sony are superior. However flesh tones on the Gt have a slight edge. At times the Sony will seem pasty. Grayscale, blacks, whites are superior on the Sony

I will tell you the GT has decent sound and I could live without a sound bar if I could eliminate the rear panel vibration taking place occasionally. The Sony is absolutely without a doubt the worst sounding TV of any size, quality, or year that I have ever heard in my entire life. Sony may as well have not even bothered to install speakers and spared us all a few bucks since a sound bar is required anyways.

Our only complaint with the Sony and it's a big one for us... 55 inches. We really love a 60" TV. 55 looks small and I cannot afford a 65 inch Sony. I want to avoid price talk but both were spectacularly discounted deals. That said at 55" being somewhat a disappointing size i feel that perhaps I should save a few bucks and consider the HX850 which is said to perform almost as well as the 950 for so much less. The Samsung E8000 is perfect in a 60" but doesn't sound like it performs and soap opera effect is difficult to eliminate fully while maintaining a quality image. The only other option would be to give a 65" VT a shot for same price as the 950, or try to swap the GT for a replacement. If I could avoid buzzing, DSE, and banding I could live some degree of pixelation and less superior color to achieve price point and size. OR wait for the new models to be released and start this agonizing adventure all over again.

The last consideration is that I feel a plasma would require calibration and the $300 Panamax power filtration (that made a noticeable difference in pixel noise) whereas a top line LED would perform pretty darn well without either. Obviously part of the overall cost consideration.

Again thanks for the input and I hope that some find the comparison helpful if you have yet to make your decision.
post #5865 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Great review. Thanks for the info. I am not looking to buy, but it is always good to hear an educated comparison. smile.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5866 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Nice review but isn't the Sony nearly double the price ? This is very similar to a comparison I saw of a 950 and a VT50 but both of those sets were professionally calibrated which I think is a more fair comparison. Sony is legendary for it picture processing so the fact it trumps the GT there doesn't surprise me in the least. But if you are experiencing grayish blacks in any scenario with GT your set needs calibrated that is not a characteristic of this years Panasonics. Sony's are traditionally more accurate out of the box for color and for grayscale so being able to extract more out of the Sony vs an un-calibrated GT does not surprise me.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5867 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am seriously considering buying a GT50 now that it's at a good price, but I have some concerns. I am new to plasma and have only had one other plasma before, which I had to return. The ABL on plasma sets is a huge deterrent for me, but I understand that maybe they don't all work the same way? I previously owned a P50U50, which is the basic entry model plasma, no additional features. I didn't understand at first why my TV was making a white background look like a light gray, I thought that perhaps the TV just wasn't bright enough to properly display it. Once I learned about the ABL I was fine with whites not being perfectly bright, as long as their was nothing wrong with the brightness of my TV. So I tried to get used to the ABL, but here's where the real problem begins.

I watched the TV at the recommended 50 contrast for the first 100 hours (after I found about breaking it in), then I set my TV to the CNET recommended settings for the "Game" mode. Which if I recall were about 96 contrast, 45 brightness, 0 sharpness, etc. The picture was bright and vivid, it looked like the best picture I had ever seen. Again the ABL rears it's ugly head though, it didn't matter what I watched, the ABL was ALWAYS present. Before you even ask, yes, I had every single energy/eco setting turned off. I have a sensitive eye for this sort of thing, so I could see immediately when my television set dimmed from the ABL. Full backgrounds of light colors, such as yellows, blues, and greens would cause the set to dim. Any television show with even a sparse amount of too many light colors induced the ABL. Family Guy and American Dad, for example, both looked as if the contrast of my set had been reduced by 20-30, the brightness was just completely sucked out of the image.

Any sort of outdoor scene, that showed even just half of a light blue sky would be hit by the ABL, making the picture look dark and of poor quality. When I open up the menu and 2/3 of the screen is cut off I could see the dim picture light up before me, showing what it really should look like. Now if I kept my contrast at around 75-80 I would hardly ever have noticed the ABL kick in, but I won't do that. I will never use a lower contrast, the screen was perfectly acceptable at that level of brightness. I should NEVER have to lower the contrast, to make the picture darker, so that I don't notice that the ABL has made my screen DARKER when it activates. I have been told that advice, and it's 100% counter-intuitive. Again, let me repeat that I am not talking about a white snow filled scene, watching hockey, or a bright white commercial, I'm talking about how ABL had a negative impact on nearly every single thing I watched.

So my question is, which I never have had answered, is this completely normal? Do I have to settle with dim(IMO), inferior brightness levels if I choose plasma? Can any of you GT50 owners relate at all to what I'm saying? Is it possible my TV was actually defective or that it had a much stricter ABL setting programmed into it? I know the U50 wasn't that bright to begin with, but even if it could have been brighter, I can only assume the ABL would have been even more noticeable when it kicked in. I know this post isn't the most coherent, I'm just trying to explain what I experienced in the most efficient way possible. I really do love how plasma's look, the inky blacks are incredible and the picture looks phenomenal. I am very interested in the GT50 model, the only thing I need to know is if I can watch TV at what I deem to be an "acceptable" level of brightness.

Thanks in advance,

Josh
post #5868 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Nice review but isn't the Sony nearly double the price ? This is very similar to a comparison I saw of a 950 and a VT50 but both of those sets were professionally calibrated which I think is a more fair comparison. Sony is legendary for it picture processing so the fact it trumps the GT there doesn't surprise me in the least. But if you are experiencing grayish blacks in any scenario with GT your set needs calibrated that is not a characteristic of this years Panasonics. Sony's are traditionally more accurate out of the box for color and for grayscale so being able to extract more out of the Sony vs an un-calibrated GT does not surprise me.

You are absolutely correct however I happen to be in the right place right time when someone was returning the Sony for the 65" and I paid open box price. Really money matters but more so when I go beyond 3 k. I would have considered the VT had they provided a 60". One of the calibrators i spoke with said the VT was only 5-7% better picture so i went GT expecting more than what i see. Obviously yes i need calibration but im not comfortable with that investment when i have the uniformity issues as calibration will not repair that. If i could find a happy medium picture in a 60" or a GT without DSE I would be happy. I just dread waiting for delivery and 200 hrs of slides only to have some other uniformity issue. Out of the box the GT performs well and blacks are pretty good but there is not much room for adjustment to improve one aspect of the picture without degrading another. Leaves me wondering how much calibration will really help.. I just wish one of these companies would give us a uniform picture with nice color and performance. seem that every TV has some issues but so far i have only seen issues with the plasmas and Sammy LED's in person.

And I only posted the review because it sounded like some folks that posted and messaged me were interested to hear since I had them side by side.
post #5869 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Good points sounds like you are making an informed decision. Open box price certainly evens the playing field. I have admired the high end Sony's from afar but they are beyond my price range. I have had 3 plasmas pro calibrated and the improvement was significant. Certainly DSE exists and it bothers some of us and for others it is a non issue. I am not a believer in the slides outside of aging the set for Dnice's settings. I could never wait 200 hours to view my new plasma. I have always just used conservative settings for the first 100 hours or so and varied content. I wish you good luck with making a tough choice.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5870 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM

My 60gt50 arrived this morning. Colors are great but to my eyes in every mode I get too much black crush. Anyone have an easy solution to that?
post #5871 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsteve View Post

My 60gt50 arrived this morning. Colors are great but to my eyes in every mode I get too much black crush. Anyone have an easy solution to that?

Make sure you are using a black level of "light" also ensure your brightness setting is set correctly using a calibration disk. AVS709 is a good one and available for free on this site.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5872 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
So, any advice? Do you think the GT50 has a "reasonable" ABL, or judging by what I wrote, maybe plasma isn't for me?

I honestly don't think I'm asking for a lot, I'm willing to accept the brightness limitations of the ABL if it can function in an acceptable manner.
post #5873 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Liked: 13
I have the 60GT50 for almost a week. The color/contrast is amazing. I watch the first few days in "Standard" where the CAST is on. Then I watched in THX Cinema. Today I watched in Custom. I used WOW to adjust the contrast, brightness, color and tint to my room.

I am "struggling" with a few minor issues.

1. Rainbow effect on white caption. The rainbow would appear on selected white captions. For example, the white caption in Avengers bluray has rainbow. The white caption in Big Bang Theory blu ray doesn't. If the caption is yellow - no issues. If I use "Standard" mode, no rainbows. Could it have something to do with the intense of the white? I had a JVC DLP before. No rainbows on the DLP. The rainbow tend to happen when I blink my eyes.

2. Slight flickering when there are white content. This also has something to do on contrast/brightness. In Standard mode, I didn't notice it. In THX Cinema mode, the first time I noticed is when watching the Big Bang Theory, the bluray title has a giant white background. I can feel the flickering when I watch the screen directly (not serious). I can feel more if I'm not directly looking at the screen.

Does anyone watch the TV in the Standard?

I guess these two issues really have no solutions except watching the program in Standard?
post #5874 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Liked: 17
Master these 3dim settings are mint, well done. :thumbsup:
post #5875 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 14
I'm planning my wall mount using a sanus. Im wondering if everyone here uses spacers since the screw hole isn't flush with the back cover of the tv? i have spacers from a cheap cheetah mount which are plastic. Are most of the spacers plastic?
post #5876 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Good points sounds like you are making an informed decision. Open box price certainly evens the playing field. I have admired the high end Sony's from afar but they are beyond my price range. I have had 3 plasmas pro calibrated and the improvement was significant. Certainly DSE exists and it bothers some of us and for others it is a non issue. I am not a believer in the slides outside of aging the set for Dnice's settings. I could never wait 200 hours to view my new plasma. I have always just used conservative settings for the first 100 hours or so and varied content. I wish you good luck with making a tough choice.

So are you saying that DSE is pretty much to some degree with every plasma? Also I'm at 280 hrs now and i had NFL Network on a few times for about an hour in Custom mode. Should I have the IR from the scrolling bar that i'm seeing? From reading it's almost as if some panels are more susceptible to it? Is it possible for one panel (of same model) to be more prone to IR than another? and if so can anyone explain why that would be? Thanks
post #5877 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

So, any advice? Do you think the GT50 has a "reasonable" ABL, or judging by what I wrote, maybe plasma isn't for me?

I honestly don't think I'm asking for a lot, I'm willing to accept the brightness limitations of the ABL if it can function in an acceptable manner.

Josh i'm not schooled on ABL but based on your comments i'm wondering if my high Contrast settings are responsible for the IR I already have. So word to the wise...may be good to keep the contrast down for a while. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this. But I hear ya on the overall plasma question. My wife says to me on the way home "I'm tired of talking about and babysitting our Tv". Me too.
post #5878 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM

I am considering a Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT50 now that they are being deeply discounted. My only concern is the audio output (toslink) to my older amplifier. Are there any issues where sound would be disabled or where a DAC would not be able to convert to plain stereo? The answer may lie inside this thread but it is 197 pages long! Thanks for any advice.
post #5879 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Also, for the DAC I would need something with a remote control. I was looking at the Matrix Mini-i but it's about $300 which seems spend. So any suggestions there would be appreciated also. http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-2011-1-mini-i-Balanced-DAC/dp/B0058PLBZU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=5UZPJIGT1W9D&coliid=I31I4I49KCTO6L
post #5880 of 9798 Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:

No need! Enjoy!

Thanks!

Now what's the best way to save these I know your using hdmi 1_2 for day night but how about these 3D settings. Is there a separate place already?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page