Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 9798 Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After much debate, I went ahead and pre-ordered a TC-P55GT50 from Panasonic EPP. Free Skype enabled HD camera thrown in for good measure. Will let you all know when I get shipment confirmation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 9798 Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM

Just set my set up late tonight. I got the 50 in GT50.

The set looks great, this tv is going in my family room, but it's set up on a stand in my tv room until I find a 65 inch.

Black level looks great! The only thing I don't like so far is the way people look in motion. The tv does not seem to have very fluid movement, people move similar to a LED tv, and it looks un natural to me. Would a calibration help? I have a pioneer elite, I'm used to watching that tv, so that is what I have to compare it to.

How long do I have to wait for a calibration? Or can anyone recomend some settings to change, maybe to give the set a more fluid motion.
post #33 of 9798 Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Turn off motion smoother.

From memory:
Menu->Picture Options->Scroll down to Advance Picture Options->Motion Smoother->Off (by default it's in medium, i believe).

post #34 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

They moved the 50GT50's mounting holes almost 7 inches higher than they were on the 50GT30 so the mounting plate is now on the upper half of the TV instead of the lower half like on previous models. Unfortunately for me the mounting holes are about 6 inches higher than on my 46G10, but i can't move my wall mount any higher since it's under my front window. They did pretty much the same thing on the 50ST50. The 55 inchers on the other hand still have the holes on the bottom half.

Here's a link to the GT50 Quick Start Guide - scroll all the way down to the bottom and you'll find detailed specs with dimensions and mounting hole locations on the 50" and 55":

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP50GT50.PDF

I linked this Quick Start Guide and the E-Help manual in the 2nd post of this thread.

Thank You

Darn, looks like I may need to redo my wall mount. The 50GT30 would have worked fine.
post #35 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Turn off motion smoother.

From memory:
Menu->Picture Options->Scroll down to Advance Picture Options->Motion Smoother->Off (by default it's in medium, i believe).

Thanks! I'll give that a try when I get home later!

Any other settings I should change on the tv? I'm a noob at this, so I just pulled it out of the box and plugged it in. How long should I wait for calibration?
post #36 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Liked: 11
Green blobs reported on the new GT50 in panels in the UK.
a few reports on the AV forums Uk reporting issues.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...-thread-6.html
post #37 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I wonder if he cleaned his screen. That's a weird formation that looks more like dripping or bad wiping.

post #38 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Every TV is supposed to have this issue or that issue. Thank goodness most do not.....

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #39 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Hey Chris, did you get a GT50 in yet? If so, has Chad had any time with it yet?
John

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #40 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 583
We have then at another warehouse, we should have ours in a day or two. You stopping by ?

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #41 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I'd love to but it's a bit of a drive for me.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #42 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikemomo View Post

This would have destroyed my old 720p plasma (the shadow bands would have been evident), and I think this is a great showcase for the almost 25,000 levels of gray that puts this set apart from the ST50.

There are no "shadow bands" on the ST50.

post #43 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

Green blobs reported on the new GT50 in panels in the UK.
a few reports on the AV forums Uk reporting issues.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...-thread-6.html

Hdtvtest already broke this on their (otherwise) stellar review of the ST50.

Unfortunately, if you want a Panasonic you better get used to this. As one poster here likes to say: this is no longer a defect-- more an attribute of buying a panasonic plasma. The only real concern is how noticeable it will be to YOU. 3 ST30s and a half dozen S30s from a variety of channels and manufacturing facilities says this is a bit more than an isolated incident. I'm done fighting this fight-- suffice to say I won't be overpaying for a Panasonic, no matter how many reviewers laud them.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #44 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Hdtvtest already broke this on their (otherwise) stellar review of the ST50.

Unfortunately, if you want a Panasonic you better get used to this. As one poster here likes to say: this is no longer a defect-- more an attribute of buying a panasonic plasma. The only real concern is how noticeable it will be to YOU. 3 ST30s and a half dozen S30s from a variety of channels and manufacturing facilities says this is a bit more than an isolated incident. I'm done fighting this fight-- suffice to say I won't be overpaying for a Panasonic, no matter how many reviewers laud them.

Not that it makes any sense to me, but I think this issue was isolated to the UK models, at least last year. I've yet to see NA reports of green/pink blobs.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned)

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #45 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Not that it makes any sense to me, but I think this issue was isolated to the UK models, at least last year. I've yet to see NA reports of green/pink blobs.

There have been PLENTY of NA reports of this problem on 2011 sets. I personally went through three 50" GT30 panels with the problem. It most definitely was not restricted to UK models. Search around here and at hdj.

post #46 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

There have been PLENTY of NA reports of this problem on 2011 sets. I personally went through three 50" GT30 panels with the problem. It most definitely was not restricted to UK models. Search around here and at hdj.

Well damn. There goes that theory

Did you ever get a GT30 that was fine?

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #47 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well damn. There goes that theory

Did you ever get a GT30 that was fine?

No, I gave up completely on the 2011 panels and waited. I purchased a 55" ST50 a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good.

post #48 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
What is the "50Hz bug" that is mentioned in the review, and would it affect US sets? How about if I played a video file that was 50fps? Can anyone share any info on that bug?

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #49 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

no, last year i saw 2 GT30 and a ST30(mine) with the green blob issue here in Italy...
post #50 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

No, I gave up completely on the 2011 panels and waited. I purchased a 55" ST50 a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good.

Well that's good news. So there are no green or pink blobs on your ST50? I was disappointed to find it on my 55ST30 after the warranty was already up.

post #51 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

"Here you will also find a new control called 1080p Pure Direct that promises to pass a full 4:4:4 video signal over HDMI, allowing for slightly enhanced chromatic resolution."

"The DVI Input can be set to either Normal or Full, where Normal represents video levels (16-235) and Full corresponds to PC levels (0-255) but if the input is straight HDMI – rather than a HDMI to DVI connection – the GT50 will automatically operate in Normal mode."

I'm very confused by this statement. Does this set provide (0-255) full 4:4:4 video signal over HDMI or not? These 2 statements seem to say opposite things unless I'm confused. If I connect my pc via HDMI, will it support full 4:4:4 video? The bottom quote seems to say no, not over HDMI. But why would that be excluded if the tv can support 4:4:4?

EDIT: ok I think I understand that 4:4:4 is different than 0-255. So then over HDMI, it supports 4:4:4 but not 0-255? Is that correct? Does that mean that chroma subsampling will not occur if set at 1080p Pure Direct?

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #52 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

What is the "50Hz bug" that is mentioned in the review, and would it affect US sets? How about if I played a video file that was 50fps? Can anyone share any info on that bug?

It won't be a factor in NA. Our panels are natively driven by 60 Hz (and it's multiplied up from there).

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #53 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

Well that's good news. So there are no green or pink blobs on your ST50? I was disappointed to find it on my 55ST30 after the warranty was already up.

Nothing so far. Aside from a slightly annoying buzz level the ST50 is a great panel. Sorry to hear about your experience with the ST30. I feel your pain.

post #54 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It won't be a factor in NA. Our panels are natively driven by 60 Hz (and it's multiplied up from there).

Thank you for the reply! Glad to hear that.

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #55 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Nothing so far. Aside from a slightly annoying buzz level the ST50 is a great panel. Sorry to hear about your experience with the ST30. I feel your pain.

All plasma tvs buzz, some more than others it varys from panel to panel.
You have to learn to live with it on plasmas.
post #56 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Any hint of the vertical band along the right side of the screen that I see mentioned in the ST50 thread?

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #57 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Are there any significant differences between the GT30 and GT50 models? In other words would a closeout price on a GT30 model be worth it or would it be better to go with the GT50?

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #58 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to know if overall, if I have no intention of doing a professional calibration, is there any noticeable benefit to the GT50 over the ST50? Does the 12k vs 24k Shades of Gradation make any noticeable improvements in picture quality? I know the GT also has THX - between THX mode and 24k gradation, do those two features affect the image in any significant way that makes the GT worth the additional cost over the ST?

Both the GT and ST have 2,500Hz Focused Field Drive, correct?

I'm interested in the US sets by the way.

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #59 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

All plasma tvs buzz, some more than others it varys from panel to panel. You have to learn to live with it on plasmas.

The normal plasma buzzing shouldn't be audible beyond maybe 2-4 feet. If you can hear it from 8 feet or more then the TV is defective and should be returned or repaired. There's no sense in living with a defective TV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #60 of 9798 Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The normal plasma buzzing shouldn't be audible beyond maybe 2-4 feet. If you can hear it from 8 feet or more then the TV is defective and should be returned or repaired. There's no sense in living with a defective TV.

Exactly! I'm currently dealing with this now on my Samsung PN59D7000. They replaced the panel to fix the filter peeling issue and gave me a buzzer. Replaced that panel and it is also a buzzer. I sit about 12 feet away and can here it even with the volume on.

My options now are a new set from Samsung or a full refund. I'm leaning towards the refund and am considering the switch to the Panasonic. The 60 inch ST50 seems comparable to my D7000, both feature and price wise. I need to see more reviews though to help determine if the price jump from the ST50 to the GT50 would be worth it or not...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page