Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBecker View Post

Hi all
New 50GT50 owner and very happy so far! (1 week's worth)
Does anyone successfully use Viera Link with an Onkyo receiver?
I get 'Feature not available' when selecting Viera Tools -> Viera Link, and the TV remote does not control my NR709's volume anymore.

I've also asked in the Onkyo 709 thread because not sure if it's a TV or receiver issue.

Viera Link is on and RIHD is on, I have tried turn off/on again.

If anyone has any suggestions or has this issue or has resolved it please post!
Thanks

I thought Viera link was only compatible with Panasonic products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemike1 View Post

Viera Link is Panasonics proprietary name for CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). It should work with most other CEC enabled products, though I can not speak to the Onkyo/Panasonic combo specifically.

Check out this link for a bit more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

Please, before you ask a question about...
General Information on the MRX Series:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technical Information including using ARC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #633 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemike1 View Post

I think I've also read that, so maybe it was be chance that it did work, but it definitely has worked.
When adjusting the volume with the TV remote (or Sky remote which is programmed to the TV) the TV displayed 'Home Theater Volume' and the Onkyo 709 volume changed.

When the AVR is on, no sound comes form the TV, which is correct, so the TV is aware that the AVR is on and handling the sound, but it no longer controls the AVR volume.
post #634 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Errr, people who "care about sound" would never settle for an HTIB.

I was kidding ..Err
post #635 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Wow...I love it. Is the cabinet a matching part of the speakers or did they just happen to look similar?

I just lucked out--I got the IKEA stand first (now discontinued) and was very pleased when the Axiom speakers showed up. Then, a few years later, we moved, and the hardwood floors tied it all together!

thanks!
post #636 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM

Is it recommended to break in the TV using the method here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6230381

This is my first plasma, I have no issues breaking it in just to be safe. Just wondering if others use the same method or just watch normally out of the box.

post #637 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikemomo View Post

I just lucked out--I got the IKEA stand first (now discontinued) and was very pleased when the Axiom speakers showed up. Then, a few years later, we moved, and the hardwood floors tied it all together!

thanks!

WOW!! That's an Ikea stand? Man, I now have a different respect for Ikea furniture. That's quite a beauty. I have been searching for a stand for my forthcoming 55GT50 and I completely dismissed Ikea thinking all of their furniture looked cheesy.
post #638 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkaj View Post

Is it recommended to break in the TV using the method here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6230381

This is my first plasma, I have no issues breaking it in just to be safe. Just wondering if others use the same method or just watch normally out of the box.

Running the color slides for 100hours is normally recommended only if you are going to have the set calibrated after that.
Its not to reduce IR or other reasons to be "safe"
You can safely watch the TV normally, just don't leave it on a fixed image or run in high contrast/vivid mode.
post #639 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Running the color slides for 100hours is normally recommended only if you are going to have the set calibrated after that.
Its not to reduce IR or other reasons to be "safe"
You can safely watch the TV normally, just don't leave it on a fixed image or run in high contrast/vivid mode.

D-Nice agreed with this assessment, including correcting me on it. It's definitely one of those Plasma TV "myths" that I'd like to add to the mythical "AV Wiki"... if it ever materializes.

Thankfully, there's at least some anecdotal evidence that the 50 series is more "IR-tolerant" than the 30 series. Probably has something to do with the entirely re-designed panel.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned)

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #640 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM

View Post
I just got my unit today, but I can't seem to connect to the internet with it. I tried both wired, and wireless with no luck. Any ideas? Oh using Verizon Fios.
Is your network password protected? And if so, is your password case-sensitive? If yes and yes, be sure that you enter the same upper case/lower case password on the TV.

There is a password but it's numeric so that rules out it being case sensitive.

When I test connected to Ethernet: It fails at the second option: Acquire IP address from router

When I try wireless it fails at the 1st test:

"Check Connection to local network (router)
post #641 of 9798 Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM

If you haven't already tried it, try power cycling the router. I have setup many TV sets in customers homes and it seems to solve issues like that.
post #642 of 9798 Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 AM

WOW, this is my first step into the HD world and the GT50 hasn't disappointed. Streaming video is great, now I can use my brothers Netflix account to watch movies.

If not for this forum and the "expert" comments about this and other models I'm not sure I would have ever comfortably purchased a TV knowing I was getting a good set. I know we're not supposed to talk pricing, but imho ABT Electronics did me well with no tax, free shipping, and 2 pairs of 3D glasses for under 1500.

Now to find a Bluray player (leaning towards the Panny 220) and think about audio (Bose Cinemate vs soundbars).
post #643 of 9798 Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you can get your hands on a Panasonic BDT310 at a good price I recommend it. It has 2 hdmi which helps if your avr doesn't do 3D. I'm not so sure that this year's players are as good as last year's, especially the drawerless design. Take a look at Amazon reviews before you decide.

post #644 of 9798 Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Finally got my router working with the tv. Kind of a pain in the ass took an hour call with Panasonic, had to change to manual settings based on what ipconfig said on my pc. Change Dns, subnet mask etc.

Very early impressions watching tv on this doesn't wow me. In fact my fathers much cheaper 720p Samsung 3D 51" Plasma HDTV (PD51D90A) looks better to me when watching sports and some channels. (Specifically the Yankees game on now). But, I did adjust settings based on what was posted on Avs forum settings. While my GT50 i've been cycling modes and have not adjusted any settings yet. (I'm using Verizon Fios)

Where this tv really does impress is when you put it in THX Cinema mode and watch a blu ray. I fell asleep watching Mission Impossible Protocol with my dad on his tv and listening to it on the Samsung tv speakers. But watching on the GT50 with my Energy Take 5.1 Speaker System really was a game changer. The picture quality was fantastic that deep black really impressed me. That sound was fantastic as well. The movie itself to me was just ok. But, the TV really showed the Pop that I was looking for that made me feel justified in making the purchase replacing a GT25 I had previously. Unfortunately for the next week or so I am watching the tv about 5 feet away because my stand has not arrived and it's at ground level.

Gaming on my Xbox 360 and PS3 has been awesome as well. Colors are vivid and rich and I didn't notice any lag playing mw3, or future soldier beta on either system. One strange thing was playing mw3 on my 360 I had to adjust the screen horizontal and vertical size because I couldn't see the score when playing mercenary capture and hold.

Tv apps are pretty awesome they are noticeably faster than my GT25. But I am noticing issues with connection errors from time to time. (I think I need to find out what ports need to be opened on my router so this might just be a me problem and not the tv. I have up to 15 devices connected to my router at any given time). But I really enjoyed Vimeo which looked awesome and everything when up and running was very smooth. (check out the HD Girls channel). The web browser worked on some steaming sites that didn't work on my iPad. I would post them but I'm pretty sure it's against the rules here.

PC mode doesn't display my pc properly in 1080p without having to readjust the screen size A bit of a bummer but was expected same as my GT50. Before someone says I have a weak pc. I'm running I5 2500k, M4 ssd, 16 gigs ram, Gtx 580 in sli other goodies.

Waiting for my stand before I get into 3D goodies like the new underworld movie, have the Iso just waiting to be played. I will also test Nvidia 3DTV play. Gow3 and other games.

Just thought I'd share and look forward to someone posting there calibrated settings.
post #645 of 9798 Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

We watched Contraband (blu-ray on Panasonic BDT310) tonight and I must admit that I was tripping. So many people wearing black and they were deep dark black. What blew me away was being able to see the corduroy detail withing that deep dark black. I kept thinking that the black was too much and crushing until I was struck by the detail, small details were there in clothes, in hair....

I just picked up a TIVO too since Charter boxes suck (I had to leave Directv ). I believe that TIVO is also making the signal better. My husband was watching Fringe and I became entranced. I love Fringe but this was an altogether different experience and I had too force myself to go back upstairs to finish my work.

The only thing that disappoints me (aside from the tilted angle of the set in the stand) is how reflective it is, even with THX Bright Room setting. Before the tv arrived we moved our G25 to the den and it wasn't this reflective. However, the image it produces is seducing me and I don't know if I could be satisfied with any other set out there right now. Dang, I wish my den were on a turntable.

post #646 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi all

Looking to get a new set shortly and keep going back and forth between the gt50 and something like an LG LM670/760; very different beasts I know, but this is mainly due to my living room situation

As you can see from the pics it's a very light room in the daytime with windows to the side and back

Do to think I'd be ok with this plasma set in such a light room?

My other decision is between active and passive 3D, but that's a post for another time and to be fair that'll probably make up only 10% of my viewing time at the most
LL
LL
post #647 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

We watched Contraband (blu-ray on Panasonic BDT310) tonight and I must admit that I was tripping.

I couldn't tell if you were being figurative or literal, but if it's the latter, then I assume the colors were really "popping."
post #648 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

I couldn't tell if you were being figurative or literal, but if it's the latter, then I assume the colors were really "popping."

Not just the colors but the contrast, shadow detail, sharpness and lack of artifacts.

post #649 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedesign View Post

Hi all

Looking to get a new set shortly and keep going back and forth between the gt50 and something like an LG LM670/760; very different beasts I know, but this is mainly due to my living room situation

As you can see from the pics it's a very light room in the daytime with windows to the side and back

My other decision is between active and passive 3D, but that's a post for another time and to be fair that'll probably make up only 10% of my viewing time at the most

The bright room THX will help a lot during the day. If I lived in your space, I would try it out by buying it from Amazon, or some place that has a similar and easy return policy.

If 3D is important to you, then you should really try it out, since it's a personal preference. I prefer passive but find the 3D on the GT50 to be very good and like it better than Samsung's.

post #650 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I had a professionally calibrated Samsung 64D8000 and am thinking about getting the 65VT50. I liked the Samsung but it always bothered me that when watching 3D, some scenes would be darker than I know they should be. I would like to hear how bright the 3D image is on the new Panasonics.
post #651 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi to All,

I have a question for the owners of the 50' GT50 might be able to answer. I asked the same question in the other forum and have yet to get a reply. It was revealed that the 50' ST50 does not include fans and I was hoping it is likewise for the 50" GT50. So does the 50' model have fans in the rear?
post #652 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

Hi to All,

I have a question for the owners of the 50' GT50 might be able to answer. I asked the same question in the other forum and have yet to get a reply. It was revealed that the 50' ST50 does not include fans and I was hoping it is likewise for the 50" GT50. So does the 50' model have fans in the rear?

If possible, could someone list if a fan is present or not for each GT50 size? Thanks!
post #653 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM

I appreciate your thoughtful assessment of your GT50, sheshechic.

Did you run the slides and have it been calibrated?
post #654 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
sheshechic, would you mind posting some pics?

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #655 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

I appreciate your thoughtful assessment of your GT50, sheshechic.

Did you run the slides and have it been calibrated?

No, slides and only minor adjustments. I hope to have D-Nice calibrate it in the fall, and in the meantime I plan to try tweaking it using the AVS 709 (free on the calibrations forum), if I don't have to exchange it. I received blue filter glasses with our new TIVO since it's THX and I think there's something loaded in that hard drive to tweak too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

I'm a really horrible photographer but I'll give it a shot. We're going to see if we can't level the panel out tomorrow and so photos will have to wait until after that.

post #656 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

Hi to All,

No fans on mine, or if there are, they are extremely stealthy.
post #657 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedesign View Post

Hi all

Nice view... Mine is of a parking lot!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #658 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by sheshechic
We're going to see if we can't level the panel out tomorrow and so photos will have to wait until after that.

I assembled my 55GT50 a few days ago and I think there are a couple of options to tweak to get yours perfectly horizontal. Do you have a decent level? If so, there a couple of locations to check level to isolate the issue.
post #659 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by shesheshic

I'm a really horrible photographer but I'll give it a shot. We're going to see if we can't level the panel out tomorrow and so photos will have to wait until after that.

I don't understand why anyone expects that you can record an image of a 1920x1080 display using a sensor with a completely different resolution and then display it on a computer screen with yet another completely resolution and get any useful information out of the process. Seriously, people; think about it.
post #660 of 9798 Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

Originally Posted by shesheshic

I don't understand why anyone expects that you can record an image of a 1920x1080 display using a sensor with a completely different resolution and then display it on a computer screen with yet another completely resolution and get any useful information out of the process. Seriously, people; think about it.

And with bad lighting conditions for almost any type photography too.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page