Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 223 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbalguy View Post

I think you are just seeing really harsh contrast. I use HD-masters settings and I notice the same thing. If there is a lens flare or a bright light (such as a concert spot light aimed at the camera) then it is so bright it hurts my eyes.

You might appreciate a bit of bias lighting if you don't have any. Even theaters use some amount of ambient lighting to balance the overall brightness out a bit. I have a very mild light behind the Pioneer in my living room and it helps a bit by keeping your pupils from going full open, which in turns keeps the bright parts of the scene from actually making you squint. It also makes the black levels seem even better by comparison to the mild room light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

You might appreciate a bit of bias lighting if you don't have any. Even theaters use some amount of ambient lighting to balance the overall brightness out a bit. I have a very mild light behind the Pioneer in my living room and it helps a bit by keeping your pupils from going full open, which in turns keeps the bright parts of the scene from actually making you squint. It also makes the black levels seem even better by comparison to the mild room light.

I was just editing my post to mention I am using bias lighting and its helped! I agree that it is more comfortable on the eyes. Only downside is my roommates think it is ridiculous to have a light behind the TV and Im crazy for noticing.
post #6663 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Bias lighting is nothing new:

http://www.tvlamps.net/lamp_history.html

We had something like this on top of the 17" Admiral back in the 50s. In those days blacks were sometimes compromised by a sets DC restoration capability not being enough to totally dim out the phosphors, a TV lamp helped.

Steve S.
post #6664 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Liked: 15
Hey everyone. Just thought if change things up a little bit. So it looks like stores are starting to reduce the GT and VT models. I got my 60" GT from amazon at a phenomenal price. Anybody out there kicking themselves for not waiting till the VT price was reduced to below 2 grand? I'm def not. Love this tv. My Beagle barks at dogs he sees in the show TOO CUTE on animal planet. Anybody see that show? Looks great on the panny plasmas.
post #6665 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

In most cases the "wipe" is a placebo to make you feel better. Normal use of your TV with a constant mix of what you're watching is a better way to take care of your TV. It's more fun too. biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the response. I understand the slides will not reduce the IR, however I was wondering if it was too late to "evenly age" the set. After 6 weeks of use I guess it's irrelevant.
Right. smile.gif
post #6666 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
So I just encountered something very strange. My heart sank when I thought I spotted a dead pixel in the top left of my screen. It's actually worse though, it's a 2x2 section of pixels and it's a solid black dot. If I bring up a colored slide or picture it's perfectly fine though. It's only on certain TV stations that it appears, but I have never seen anything like it before. I assume It can't be a problem with the TV if it doesn't show up on colored slides? I have TWC if that's relevant at all.
post #6667 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

So I just encountered something very strange. My heart sank when I thought I spotted a dead pixel in the top left of my screen. It's actually worse though, it's a 2x2 section of pixels and it's a solid black dot. If I bring up a colored slide or picture it's perfectly fine though. It's only on certain TV stations that it appears, but I have never seen anything like it before. I assume It can't be a problem with the TV if it doesn't show up on colored slides? I have TWC if that's relevant at all.

Do you have a Blu-ray player? Put a movie in and see if its still there. Perhaps it's only a problem with your cable or satellite receiver.
post #6668 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For the problem to be your TV it would have to be present for all source material. If you are using different TV inputs for each of your sources that might complicate diagnosis.
post #6669 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Do you have a Blu-ray player? Put a movie in and see if its still there. Perhaps it's only a problem with your cable or satellite receiver.

I just tested and it was fine. I also played a movie form my PC and it wasn't there. Same thing with colored slides, and a picture slideshow. It must have something to do with my cable, and I think it's only showing up on FOX network channels as far as I can tell.
post #6670 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the problem to be your TV it would have to be present for all source material. If you are using different TV inputs for each of your sources that might complicate diagnosis.

Yeah, I assumed it would have to be present for everything, it just seemed very strange. I have everything going through my AVR and it's all on the same HDMI input.

I'm not concerned now, but it gave me a bit of a scare. eek.gif
post #6671 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm not concerned now, but it gave me a bit of a scare. eek.gif
"Watch my eyes! Don't look away!. Here's the line again." ...Opening scene of "A Bug's Life" - Pixar. biggrin.gif
post #6672 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Thanks for the replies so far. I will post all of my settings later when I get home from work.

I have never had much luck with set-up disks. You can set the test patterns to what they should look like but as soon as you switch to real video, it just doesn't look right. In my opinion, plasma sets are even more problematic because you need to establish a neutral color balance. I suggest plugging in HDMasters Night time settings for the Wide color space option. Of all the "generic" calibration settings posted for the GT50, I think these are the best. Give these settings a try and see what you think while watching real content. Don't worry if test patterns don't look perfect. Unless your main purpose is to watch test patterns it really doesn't matter what they indicate.
post #6673 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

It's only on certain TV stations that it appears, but I have never seen anything like it before. I assume It can't be a problem with the TV if it doesn't show up on colored slides? I have TWC if that's relevant at all.

Sounds like one of those pesky widescreen switching pixel thingees. I think its something to do with sensing 16:9 or 4:3 crop. Stations that don't support 4:3 don't seem to require it.
Lucky for you its black. When my local stations used them, they were solid white!
post #6674 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM

im getting aggravated with pauls tv. i ordered my 60gt50 thursday morning and it still hasnt shipped yet. i called and actually got the excuse that last week was vallentines day rolleyes.gif
post #6675 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I spoke to the tech that will be servicing the "buzz" in my TV this upcoming Monday. He acknowledged that the buzz is a common problem on the 2012 Panasonic plasmas. He even asked me if the sound was originating from the upper left when viewing the TV... which I acknowledged. He said it is coming from the SS board and he will be replacing all mounting screws for that board and a second board. The original mounting screws apparently do not properly ground the boards. The repair will take about 45 minutes.

Fingers crossed... if this fix doesn't work, the TV is going back to Amazon. I don't want to return it, but the buzzing makes cringe any time there is a bright scene.

Tech was a friendly older gentileman and he did exactly what he described and replaced about 25 screws, including all the screws used for mounting the SS board. The original screws were washer heads and the replacements came with captured spring washer and larger diameter flat washer. The replacement screws with the larger washers had more contact surface but, from what I could see, the original washer head screws had sufficient surface area to proprely ground the boards. So the only difference in my mind was that the replacement screws would be less likely to loosen up because of the spring washer.

Bottom line, the buzz is just as bad or worse now. The tech offered to come back and replace the SS board, but I've had enough. I've already arranged for a return with Amazon and will probably do without a TV for a few weeks or maybe even a few months... to see what Panasonic has to offer for the new model year. I sure hope they have sorted out this problem by now as I really want to stick with Panasonic. Don't care for Samsung.

If anyone else decides to try a repair, I recommend that you ask the tech to bring a replacement SS board. The screws alone won't help if you have a bad case of buzzing. I am a bit surprised/disappointed that Panasonic doesn't replace the board as a first resort.

Sean
post #6676 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the help. It appears that the speaker was rattling the back Panel of my GT50 55in. I tightened an offending screw and it seems to have done the trick.

Pioneer PDP-5060

Panasonic TC-P55GT50

post #6677 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post

Thanks for the help. It appears that the speaker was rattling the back Panel of my GT50 55in. I tightened an offending screw and it seems to have done the trick.
Good work. biggrin.gif

Maybe wliu003 should check for something similar on his set.
post #6678 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 14
OH MY GOD. HD-Master, using your day settings right now and HOLY COW this is the most amazing picture I've ever seen! Using the baraka bluray and wow do colors just jump off the screen. I don't think I've ever seen reds so damn vibrant and blacks so soul crushingly deep!

post #6679 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post

OH MY GOD. HD-Master, using your day settings right now and HOLY COW this is the most amazing picture I've ever seen! Using the baraka bluray and wow do colors just jump off the screen. I don't think I've ever seen reds so damn vibrant and blacks so soul crushingly deep!

Haha...glad you like them!
post #6680 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Hmm...let's see. Post all of your settings from the general picture settings, pro settings, and advanced picture settings menus and let's take a look at the whole package.

Okay, here are the settings I ended up with last night during Star Wars:

Custom
Contrast - 74
Brightness - 64
Color - 39
Tint - -1
Sharpness - 43
Color - warm1
CATS - off

PRO SETTINGS
Color space - Wide
HR - -15
HG - 0
HB - 0
LR - -7
LG - 0
LB - 0
Black extension - 0
Gamma - 2.4
Panel brightness - mid
Contour - off
AGC - 0

ASPECT
Full
Size 2

HDMI SETTINGS
Range - auto
Content type - off

ADVANCED PICTURE
Smoother - off
1080p pure direct - on
Black level - light

I tried HD-Master's night time settings just a moment ago. If anything, it made my issue worse. I tried rewatching the opening rolling words of Star Wars (golden words on black/starry background), and it was really distracting. I even had all of my room lighting turned on. Part of my issue might also be that I can see rainbow-like flashes in high-contrast scenes on this set (like the DLP rainbow effect). I usually see this from any light source on the screen. By itself it isn't too bad, but the eye-piercing light makes it worse.

I do have an new set coming (should be here tomorrow) due to buzzing. I'll see if the new set is any better regarding this distraction. I really hope so, as I don't want to have to settle for an LCD.
post #6681 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Here's the way I would look at this kind of problem. Check out your display carefully. If there is nothing else seriously wrong with your TV then I would go for an audio repair because it sounds like one or more defective or loose speakers are causing the audio noise you are hearing. The audio portion of a flat panel TV is trivial to repair, and I don't think it's worth returning an otherwise sound TV instead of doing a repair.

As for HDMI cables, if you're playing a Blu-ray disk and the video is good then it can't be the HDMI cables because the audio signal is embedded in the video data on the disk. Also, what you are hearing don't sound like a digital problem. It sound like a defective speaker cone.

If you have other issues with the set, then getting an exchange while you have that opportunity is a good idea.

One thing to check for would be too many dead or stuck pixels that you can see from your normal viewing seat. Another would be a buzzing sound that you can hear with the audio turned off. If it's irritating when you watch with the audio at normal levels the exchange the set. A third thing might be excessive lack of uniformity on your screen when displaying a solid color.

It's also a good idea to check your screen for mini-cracks. That's something that should be checked for when a plasma is delivered. With the set OFF, shine a flash light on the screen from about 175 degrees across the screen. That will help you find any small cracks that might not be visible otherwise.

NOTE: To get the most out of a service call it's best to have an example that it repeatable every time you try it. If defective or loose speaker cones are at fault, something with loud low frequencies should make the problem worse every time. It should also get worse as volume increases. This theory won't hold up if the problem is inconsistent and you can't be sure when it's going to show up. In that case, you need a better theory. That means more carefully defined testing. eek.gif

Thank you again for your thorough and helpful reply. I plan to give them a call so that they can check out the audio issue in person. I will be sure to pick out a few scenes that illustrate the audio issue that I am dealing with.
post #6682 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm...let's see. Post all of your settings from the general picture settings, pro settings, and advanced picture settings menus and let's take a look at the whole package.

Custom
Contrast - 74
Brightness - 64
Color - 39
Tint - -1
Sharpness - 43
Color - warm1
CATS - off

PRO SETTINGS
Color space - Wide
HR - -15
HG - 0
HB - 0
LR - -7
LG - 0
LB - 0
Black extension - 0
Gamma - 2.4
Panel brightness - mid
Contour - off
AGC - 0

ASPECT
Full
Size 2

HDMI SETTINGS
Range - auto
Content type - off

ADVANCED PICTURE
Smoother - off
1080p pure direct - on
Black level - light

I tried HD-Master's night time settings just a moment ago. If anything, it made my issue worse. I tried rewatching the opening rolling words of Star Wars (golden words on black/starry background), and it was really distracting. I even had all of my room lighting turned on. Part of my issue might also be that I can see rainbow-like flashes in high-contrast scenes on this set (like the DLP rainbow effect). I usually see this from any light source on the screen. By itself it isn't too bad, but the eye-piercing light makes it worse.

I do have an new set coming (should be here tomorrow) due to buzzing. I'll see if the new set is any better regarding this distraction. I really hope so, as I don't want to have to settle for an LCD.

I'm not really sure what to say about your issue with the image being bright enough to cause eye discomfort, as what you have isn't very bright. Very strange. It's a little dim even for a pitch black room by most standards. Your Brightness, Color, and Tint settings are a bit off, even with a Warm1 Color Temp setting. That Sharpness setting is very high also. It is very hard to see ringing below a Sharpness setting of 20, but at 43 it should be pretty easy to spot.

This all sounds very strange and I am very curious to see what you experience with the replacement. I really hope it turns out to be something wrong with the current display you have. This isn't normal. Either something is wrong with this unit or you happen to highly sensitive to issues some folks experience with plasmas...such as the rainbow and/or phosphor trails you mentioned.
post #6683 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM

Liked: 17
Yeah it really sounds like a phosphor / rainbow eye sight phenomenon. Hopefully it's just the set and the replacement will fix.
post #6684 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quick Question : If one doesn't have a receiver that supports arc, how do you connect to get sound out of a 5.1 system for such things like Youtube or music on a DLNA home network? Is it HDMI from AVR to TV?

I currently have Oppo and cable box running into my AVR and then HDMI to TV. Thanks.
post #6685 of 9802 Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmanolis View Post

Quick Question : If one doesn't have a receiver that supports arc, how do you connect to get sound out of a 5.1 system for such things like Youtube or music on a DLNA home network? Is it HDMI from AVR to TV?

I currently have Oppo and cable box running into my AVR and then HDMI to TV. Thanks.

Optical Toslink from the GT50 to your AVR.
post #6686 of 9802 Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 483
I have a couple of quick questions on my new 60GT50. I started watching a bluray last night and noticed a lot of noise (static?) in solid colors. I was using the standard setting and when I switched to THX Cinema the noise went away. This was with two different HDMI inputs and with cable. I ran a HDMI cable direct to the display (not through my 4311) and it was the same. Is this common with the standard setting? Also I thought using the orbital shift feature would help with static images but the option is greyed out so I can not enable it. Does the orbital shift feature help with static images? As far as keeping the contrast level low what is an acceptable level for break in?

I was surprised how the screen when off is not black but has an almost bluegreen color to it. I'm sure this is normal just that I was expecting it to be much darker. I will try using HD-Master's settings today to see how they look (with contrast level a bit lower). Is using these settings on a new display advised? Thanks in advance for any thoughts as I'm not very well versed in things video redface.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6687 of 9802 Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Liked: 15
Most people never use the Standard setting. That setting reduces the energy used by the TV, so as to get a low-energy rating, but the picture is not very good. Most people use one of the THX settings or a Custom setting. If you scroll though this forum you'll find several suggested Custom settings.
post #6688 of 9802 Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Optical Toslink from the GT50 to your AVR.

Thanks Master. Back to Monoprice.....
post #6689 of 9802 Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have a couple of quick questions on my new 60GT50. I started watching a bluray last night and noticed a lot of noise (static?) in solid colors. I was using the standard setting and when I switched to THX Cinema the noise went away. This was with two different HDMI inputs and with cable. I ran a HDMI cable direct to the display (not through my 4311) and it was the same. Is this common with the standard setting? Also I thought using the orbital shift feature would help with static images but the option is greyed out so I can not enable it. Does the orbital shift feature help with static images? As far as keeping the contrast level low what is an acceptable level for break in?

I was surprised how the screen when off is not black but has an almost bluegreen color to it. I'm sure this is normal just that I was expecting it to be much darker. I will try using HD-Master's settings today to see how they look (with contrast level a bit lower). Is using these settings on a new display advised? Thanks in advance for any thoughts as I'm not very well versed in things video redface.gif.

Bill
Standard is...bad. It exists to allow these displays to meet Energy Star requirements.

Different people have different theories on "break-in." At the very least, vary your content more frequently during the first 100-200 hours.

The pixel orbiter...I say logic tells us it doesn't help. It shifts the image a few pixels at a time. So, if you have a static image, it barely moves. It may smudge the edges of any IR a bit.
post #6690 of 9802 Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Custom
Contrast - 74
Brightness - 64
Color - 39
Tint - -1
Sharpness - 43
Color - warm1
CATS - off

PRO SETTINGS
Color space - Wide
HR - -15
HG - 0
HB - 0
LR - -7
LG - 0
LB - 0
Black extension - 0
Gamma - 2.4
Panel brightness - mid
Contour - off
AGC - 0

ASPECT
Full
Size 2

HDMI SETTINGS
Range - auto
Content type - off

ADVANCED PICTURE
Smoother - off
1080p pure direct - on
Black level - light

oh, it sounds like you are one of the rare people that are sensitive to the rainbow effect. I'm not sure it actually has a title, but i have heard stories of people that see rainbows in the bright area's of plasma TV's. Most people are not sensitive to it but I have heard from some people that see it with all plasma's. Some have said they learned to get used to it while others never do. Hopefully your next set doesn't cause you these issues. Good luck smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page