Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 9767 Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got my new 50GT50 set up and I am pretty satisfied. I used CNet/David Katzmeier's settings and it does look great...but I have two questions that I sure would appreciate help with ! First, I notice that motion seems a liiiiittle choppy- not terrible, but both on television pans, as well as Blu-ray discs (24p), I notice it. I am especially disappointed that the credits at the end of "The Amazing Spider Man" were a bit wavering. I have seen Panasonic in combination with a Panasonic BDT 210 and the credit scroll looked "rock solid" in a Best Buy set-up. I don't get it !
Second, the IR is very, very, very easy to get/produce on this screen. I cannot seem to find the "orbiter" on/off setting. Is it pre-set to "on" ? as a default? I hope so until I can find it to make sure it is "on." How do I access "orbiter"?

Oh yea..I should state that I am using "CUSTOM" setting as a starting point, both for HDMI 1 (satellite/TV), and HDMI 4 (Blu-ray) It defaults to 60Hz, but shows 24p on Blu-ray discs.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I think that everyone who has a plasma that is getting warm should return it immediately. I am looking for a good deal on a perfect used one now that supply is very limited. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Ones with a slight buzz too.......or even a little ir......

LOL.......You guys crack me up, now that's funny! Thieves wink.gif
jpl20 likes this.
post #6843 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

I just got my new 50GT50 set up and I am pretty satisfied. I used CNet/David Katzmeier's settings and it does look great...but I have two questions that I sure would appreciate help with ! First, I notice that motion seems a liiiiittle choppy- not terrible, but both on television pans, as well as Blu-ray discs (24p), I notice it. I am especially disappointed that the credits at the end of "The Amazing Spider Man" were a bit wavering. I have seen Panasonic in combination with a Panasonic BDT 210 and the credit scroll looked "rock solid" in a Best Buy set-up. I don't get it !
Second, the IR is very, very, very easy to get/produce on this screen. I cannot seem to find the "orbiter" on/off setting. Is it pre-set to "on" ? as a default? I hope so until I can find it to make sure it is "on." How do I access "orbiter"?

Oh yea..I should state that I am using "CUSTOM" setting as a starting point, both for HDMI 1 (satellite/TV), and HDMI 4 (Blu-ray) It defaults to 60Hz, but shows 24p on Blu-ray discs.

Thanks for any advice.

What you are describing has been talked about before. I believe that you need to turn off the motion smoother. My set did what you have explained, once MS was turned off it has been fine. Secondly, since you stated that you just got your set, you should break-in the phosphors for 100 - 150 hours. I did this with my set in standard mode viewing. Normal viewing, switching around stations, mostly movie channels without static images or banners. It was a bit painful in that I was not watching the set at its best but now my picture is amazing. Some here have also used D- Nice slides for the break-in. I get no IR and I also game a bit on my set. Best of luck with your new GT50.
post #6844 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for any advice.

I just got mine and I don't see any IR, but I am changing the channel for any channels that have static images on them quite often as I break it in.

I have smooth motion on BD, but don't have spiderman so I can't test it. For me all good source bd are amazing.

The orbitor is under set up>anti image retention

60hz at 24p in fine, it just uses 3:2 pulldowns. you can try 48hz but it shimmers a lot although the darker the room the better it seems.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #6845 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 AM

I had 48hz on last night watching a moving in a VERY dark room and it seemed much better. It was certainly watchable. I was surprised.

Ohh, I also lowered the CNET settings for contrast and brightness. It was too bright, imo. Does changing those affect the colour at all?

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #6846 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I had 48hz on last night watching a moving in a VERY dark room and it seemed much better. It was certainly watchable. I was surprised.

Ohh, I also lowered the CNET settings for contrast and brightness. It was too bright, imo. Does changing those affect the colour at all?

Maybe / maybe not. Every set is going to be a little different. Unless its giving you an obvious and distracting color cast just let it go until you have a couple hundred hours on the set. Then you can start to be more critical about color.
post #6847 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks, what I thought smile.gif Was just curious.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #6848 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post

Another Question regarding the Sound on My 2 week old GT50 -55inch. When there is dialogue (Cable TV), say two people talking on the news, there is an intermittent rattle coming from the TV almost when the voices hit a certain frequency. When this happened the other day I put my hand on the back of the TV near the speaker and the sound stooped. Clearly certain frequencies are causing the back panel of the TV to vibrate. I called Amazon wanting to return it for another but agreed to consult with Panasonic First and see if a service call would be in order. GIANT MISTAKE. I played 50 questions with Panasonic on the phone... walked through the menus's and she could not determine if the problem was the TV of the input device and refused to schedule a service call until such time I tried every input and a variety of input devices. Nothing like being talked to like you are a child by an individual reading a script to diagnose the problem.

So I have made sure that all the screws holding the back panel are tight, and even changed the HDMI cable for good measure. If the problem re-occurs in the next few days back to amazon. I have until the 10th of March.

Any suggestions??

Are you using the stand or mounted to the wall ? (( probably the stand )) Sounds like you need to add a hint of vibration suppression to the back panel. It's basically just a big sheet of steel and its vibrating. Are there any screws / bolts in the 4 holes used for a wall bracket ? If not, add them ( correct length of course ). This will help secure the back panel to the chassis more rigidly. If those are in place and you still have vibrations, you can add stiffening rods or bars between the mounting holes with a little bit of foam padding on the back to dampen the vibration much like you were doing with your hand.
post #6849 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 13
Just got my P60GT50 which Best Buy replaced my P60UT50 with. Visible differences in picture quality, even with someone like me with unfamiliar eyes.
I hope this TV is a bit more resistant to IR then the UT.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Klipsch G-42 Soundbar
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
Harmony One Remote
post #6850 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post

Just got my P60GT50 which Best Buy replaced my P60UT50 with. Visible differences in picture quality, even with someone like me with unfamiliar eyes.

Just a guess, but I'll bet it WILL NOT be. My GT gets IR very, very, very quickly. I mean, within ONE MINUTE of a particular spot, like even the channels surfing on Directv...I then can see staight lines from channel guide.
My theory is that these newest plasmas are so significantly BETTER in contrast that they shoot themselves in the foot on IR that the older ones (even when new) did not pose such a problem.
post #6851 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post

I think you will be happy with the upgrade. I found the picture quality to be much better on the GT50, but more importantly the ABL is not as strict. The GT50 can stay noticeably brighter in scenes where the UT50 would have had the picture dimmed. As for IR, there's a chance you might get a unit that's more resistant, but in my case I found the GT to be very much the same in that respect.
post #6852 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Just a guess, but I'll bet it WILL NOT be. My GT gets IR very, very, very quickly. I mean, within ONE MINUTE of a particular spot, like even the channels surfing on Directv...I then can see staight lines from channel guide.
My theory is that these newest plasmas are so significantly BETTER in contrast that they shoot themselves in the foot on IR that the older ones (even when new) did not pose such a problem.

I think your set is an outlier. I have seen a few people describe really fast IR like that on this forum but not many. Ive had the gt50 for 200 hours so far and I have not noticed IR once. I don't think the TVs would be designed to show IR that fast.
post #6853 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
IR can vary panel to panel. Which Panasonic model is insignificant.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6854 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

I use an HDMI splitter. One HDMI cable out of my AVR is split to two HDMI inputs on my GT50. My "Day" Custom settings are on HDMI 1, while my "Night" Custom settings are on HDMI 2. I use a Harmony remote and have separate day and night modes for each activity.

I like this idea. I see you are using a ViewHD 2 Port HDMI 1x2 Powered Splitter. Can you tell me specifically which one are you using? There are four different models available on Amazon:

- ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter for 1080P & 3D -- model number: VHD-1X2M
- ViewHD Advanced HDMI Splitter for 1080P & 3D (1x2, Regular Size with Integrated Remote IR Control System) -- model number: VHD-H1X2S
- ViewHD 2 Port HDMI 1x2 Powered Splitter Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P & 3D -- model number: ViewHD-0102M
- ViewHD Advanced HDMI Power Splitter Support 1080P & 3D (1x2, Ultra HD | 4K | Full 3D) -- model number: VHD-0102N
post #6855 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbalguy View Post

I think your set is an outlier. I have seen a few people describe really fast IR like that on this forum but not many. Ive had the gt50 for 200 hours so far and I have not noticed IR once. I don't think the TVs would be designed to show IR that fast.

It does, but you wouldn't see it instantly from watching normal content. If you put up a white square on a full black background, in 5-10 seconds you would see an outline of the square when you switched to a full black screen. It goes away very quickly and isn't that important, but the set itself gets IR almost instantly, even if it's quite mild. Now, if someone does this and doesn't see any IR, I would say they have a set that is more IR resistant. This could either be due to the age of the panel or it could just mean the set is naturally more resistant.
post #6856 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

It does, but you wouldn't see it instantly from watching normal content. If you put up a white square on a full black background, in 5-10 seconds you would see an outline of the square when you switched to a full black screen. It goes away very quickly and isn't that important, but the set itself gets IR almost instantly, even if it's quite mild. Now, if someone does this and doesn't see any IR, I would say they have a set that is more IR resistant. This could either be due to the age of the panel or it could just mean the set is naturally more resistant.
There is a technical term for what you are describing. "Normal".

post #6857 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

There is a technical term for what you are describing. "Normal".

I never said it wasn't biggrin.gif
post #6858 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The settings for contrast weren't too bright, it can easily go to 80. I wouldn't recommend using that to break-in the set though. As for brightness, I believe they had it too high, you're probably safe around 55-57. It's your preference how bright you want the TV though, some people prefer watching the slightly dimmer THX Cinema mode. As someone else already said, you don't need to worry about how your colors look until the picture starts to settle in.
post #6859 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Deleted.
post #6860 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Deleted.
post #6861 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone is interested, 50ST50 at Sears for $795. Good grief, at that price ordered one for the garage !
post #6862 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I watched quite a bit of HD sports today. I watched the Daytona 500, the Bruins game and the Golf on NBC. I have to say I'm very happy with the PQ of the 60GT50 smile.gif. I was a bit concerned how HD TV (TWC of Maine) would look but so far it is excellent. I'm using HD-Master's settings with both Day and Night settings. So far no IR or any buzzing at all as the 60GT50 is dead quiet. I'll keep my fingers crossed and knock on wood that I do not have any issues in the future wink.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6863 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Plasmas tend to run a little hot, perfectly normal. You could leave it on for the first 100 hours straight and have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post

My 60" GT has been running slides all day and both upper corners and back are uniformly warm, not hot as you described it, you may have a problem.

thanks

i think mine does have a problem. watched 3 hours of movie and it gets too hot to touch. by hot, i mean i wouldn't leave my hand on it for more than three seconds. hopefully i can exchange thru amazon and not have to call panasonic since it's only been a little over a week.
post #6864 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM

All these posts about returns/ problems you guys are going through makes me wish I would have went through Amazon instead of Paul's frown.gif .
post #6865 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand1 View Post

All these posts about returns/ problems you guys are going through makes me wish I would have went through Amazon instead of Paul's frown.gif .
Amazon is a great place to get a used one. Many of the ones returned have nothing wrong with them.

post #6866 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM

Anyone know why the 48hz didn't really bother me last night in a real dark room? Any other time I saw it it was horrible.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #6867 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Anyone know why the 48hz didn't really bother me last night in a real dark room? Any other time I saw it it was horrible.

Everyone's eyes process that kind of stuff differently. Ambient light probably has an effect on where "flicker fusion" occurs for people; the more light is present, the higher refresh rate needed for flicker fusion to occur. In a completely dark room I could imagine the flicker looking a little smoother to ones eyes. Please note I'm no expert an everything above is purely speculation.
post #6868 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 PM

I really need help setting up my panel fellas. I've been tweaking and messing with it for 2 weeks. The THX Cinema is beyond dark, even at night with no ambient light around. The THX Bright Room is bright but the colors are completely washed and don't pop at all. I've tweaked cinema the best I can but it seems that my desired brightness level only comes from having the panel brightness set to high. As you all know, that also destroys skintones and makes them look unnatural.

Do any of you have a solution? I'm looking for the brightness and color that vivid can provide with a little more skin balance. Sorry for making my first post so painful but it's entirely too hard to read hundreds of pages on here and believe me, I have tried.

Any help is much appreciated.
post #6869 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

I really need help setting up my panel fellas. I've been tweaking and messing with it for 2 weeks. The THX Cinema is beyond dark, even at night with no ambient light around. The THX Bright Room is bright but the colors are completely washed and don't pop at all. I've tweaked cinema the best I can but it seems that my desired brightness level only comes from having the panel brightness set to high. As you all know, that also destroys skintones and makes them look unnatural.

Do any of you have a solution? I'm looking for the brightness and color that vivid can provide with a little more skin balance. Sorry for making my first post so painful but it's entirely too hard to read hundreds of pages on here and believe me, I have tried.

crow216,

Welcome to AVS smile.gif. You could try the settings from HD-Master that are linked below. I'm using the Night and Day settings and the picture quality on my 60GT50 is excellent.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/6480#post_22953605

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6870 of 9767 Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

Dial in HDMaster's settings. If the image is still to dark then I have to suggest a different TV or a replacement. THX Cinema is actually pretty good. If you think it's way to dark then there just isn't much more room for increasing the brightness. Brightness really should not be a problem unless you are used to looking at an LCD in a completely blown out torch mode. Within the past week someone was complaining that bright spots like headlights were so bright it was burning his retinas ! Check to see if you have the power saver turn on. It will destroy the brightness.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page