Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 231 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6901 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again Bill, fingers crossed & hoping for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmanolis View Post

Added more details. Still no sound from surround speakers. Is there a setting on TV or AVR that needs to be changed as well?

Thanks!

Your AVR should have a digital input assignment section where you can tell it to assign the optical input to your source selection.
post #6903 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmanolis View Post

Hooked up Optical Toslink but still no sound from surround speakers. Is there a setting on the TV or AVR that needs to be defined?
What model avr? What exactly is the source?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6904 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

They said they will deliver it, take it out of the box, plug it in & turn it on to test it & see it everything works, at this point I would like to have a list of thing to go through, they also said I can refuses if there is a problem and they replace it a new one. And even though I did read through most issues, just want to make sure I didn't overlook anything. Thanks Bill.
Inspect it thoroughly with a flashlight. You can put the slides on a usb and plug it in real quick to check for buzzing and screen uniformity issues.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6905 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:

Thanks again Bill, fingers crossed & hoping for the best.

I know the feeling wink.gif. So far luck has been on my side but my fingers are still crossed and I'm knocking on wood smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6906 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Quote:

Hi all, need a check list as to what to look for when my gt50 gets delivered this week, as I have the option to refuse it and get another. Hate to start with that attitude, but reading some of the posts got me a little spooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

How can you refuse delivery if you are going to set it up and check for any issues? What issues have you spooked? If you have read about these issues what more information would you need?

Bill

They said they will deliver it, take it out of the box, plug it in & turn it on to test it & see it everything works, at this point I would like to have a list of thing to go through, they also said I can refuses if there is a problem and they replace it a new one. And even though I did read through most issues, just want to make sure I didn't overlook anything. Thanks Bill.
Before you turn on the set for the first time, examine it for small cracks in the screen. To do that use a flash light shinning across the screen, not directly at it. Take your time and look carefully. You can also look for stuck or dead pixels with a monochrome full screen image. White is a good color for checking pixels.

Doing the above protects you from taking delivery on a set with a cracked screen, or with dead pixels. It also demonstrates that the set will power on. For anything beyond that, you have to depend on the vendor's return policy. For instance, Amazon allows returning a flat panel TV for any reason in the first thirty days.
post #6907 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What model avr? What exactly is the source?

Hi,

AVR is Denon 4310. Source is DLNA or Netflix out of the GT50.
post #6908 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

It's your source. Not the tv. Watching 3D on YouTube is tricky to figure out. I've never been able I figure it out. But 3D will work fine on anything else I throw at it.

No YouTube was fine in 3D. It is when I rent a movie in 3D On Demand. Like I said the source is in side by side. So I switch to side by side 3D using Vierra Tools, hitting 3D, then pushing the little red r button to manually select the 3D format. I select side by side 3D, it puts the image into one correct 3D image...but after a few minutes the screen turns back to two images side by side, as if I never manually set it.....I bought Tron 3d and it works fine. But then again it is not a side by side 3D source.
That is why I am wondering if something is wrong with the TV and it is unable to save my side by side 3D format selection so that the side by side format will display a correct single 3d image.
Help anyone?
post #6909 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

I really need help setting up my panel fellas. I've been tweaking and messing with it for 2 weeks. The THX Cinema is beyond dark, even at night with no ambient light around. The THX Bright Room is bright but the colors are completely washed and don't pop at all. I've tweaked cinema the best I can but it seems that my desired brightness level only comes from having the panel brightness set to high. As you all know, that also destroys skintones and makes them look unnatural.

Do any of you have a solution? I'm looking for the brightness and color that vivid can provide with a little more skin balance. Sorry for making my first post so painful but it's entirely too hard to read hundreds of pages on here and believe me, I have tried.

Any help is much appreciated.

Dial in HDMaster's settings. If the image is still to dark then I have to suggest a different TV or a replacement. THX Cinema is actually pretty good. If you think it's way to dark then there just isn't much more room for increasing the brightness. Brightness really should not be a problem unless you are used to looking at an LCD in a completely blown out torch mode. Within the past week someone was complaining that bright spots like headlights were so bright it was burning his retinas ! Check to see if you have the power saver turn on. It will destroy the brightness.

thanks for the advice. I tried his settings and they look great but still incredibly dark. When you say power saver, it only gives me the option for "standard" or "saving." I'm assuming standard means off? This isn't my eyes being adjusted to the picture, everyone who sees the TV immediately says it's too dark. The other two settings are set to "Stay On." So, essentially I don't see an on or off.
post #6910 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

thanks for the advice. I tried his settings and they look great but still incredibly dark. When you say power saver, it only gives me the option for "standard" or "saving." I'm assuming standard means off? This isn't my eyes being adjusted to the picture, everyone who sees the TV immediately says it's too dark. The other two settings are set to "Stay On." So, essentially I don't see an on or off.

Power saver should be set to standard. If you really think it's "that" dark you may have a defective unit, I'm not sure. Did you try Game mode? You might even want to turn HDMI Content off after all. Brightness can go up to 50, but shouldn't go over that or you will distort true blacks.

Does this seem a lot brighter than your TV? Only watch the first 10 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlqEOgrQ9r0
post #6911 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM

Liked: 37
Hello folks,

It's my first post in several years but I thought I would say that I've had the 50GT50 for a week now and I am really pleased with it. I separated from my wife last summer and my Panny 58PZ800U stayed attached to the wall at her place.

This one is a very nice, if somewhat smaller, replacement. No issues with buzzing or IR. I've just left it in THX Cinema and it looks great out of the box. Eventually I may pull out my Eye One and put it through its paces but after obsessing about my last set I came to realize that staring at test patterns or colour slides shouldn't be my primary viewing activity.

For those who are interested I got this unit from Amazon and it was built in October 2012.

Mike
sheshechic likes this.
post #6912 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a couple of each.

I got the Samsung's because the Panny's are no longer available on the Panasonic website or at Best Buy in my area. If I were you I would wait for the new 2013 Panasonic glasses (That's what I'm doing). There could be some significant changes to them. Speculation is they will work with 2012 GT but they may have a replaceable battery. There's a lot of talk here on AVS as to what they will be. Do a search for Panasonic 3-D glasses and you should find the thread relating to the GT50. It's not all that long, I believe it's only six pages. wink.gif
post #6913 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

No. Graphics is the correct option.
Is there any proof behind this?
post #6914 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any proof behind this?

Just use your eyes, it's easy to spot.
post #6915 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM

So if the 3d problem is the source, does this mean I won't ever be able to watch 3d movies On Demand?
I switched HDMI cords and outlets.
The cable company claims I should be able to watch in 3d and nobody else with a 3D TV has called with this problem....
Am I stuck with a TV I paid A LOT for and can't even use it for what I want?
Do any of you have On Demand and have you rented a 3D movie from them? Does your TV convert the side by side to 3D without switching back or having the problem mine does?
post #6916 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman77 View Post

So if the 3d problem is the source, does this mean I won't ever be able to watch 3d movies On Demand?
I switched HDMI cords and outlets.
The cable company claims I should be able to watch in 3d and nobody else with a 3D TV has called with this problem....
Am I stuck with a TV I paid A LOT for and can't even use it for what I want?
Do any of you have On Demand and have you rented a 3D movie from them? Does your TV convert the side by side to 3D without switching back or having the problem mine does?

Stupid question, but have you tried doing a manual reset on the TV? Not through the menu, but using whatever the Panasonic reset code is. On my old U50 it was something about holding volume down on the TV while pressing in a button on the remote, I don't really remember what it was.
post #6917 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Stupid question, but have you tried doing a manual reset on the TV? Not through the menu, but using whatever the Panasonic reset code is. On my old U50 it was something about holding volume down on the TV while pressing in a button on the remote, I don't really remember what it was.

Yes Panasonic had me try this...
post #6918 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmmm...
post #6919 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you ruled out the source by seeing if the 3-D side by side stays on just from watching something normally?
post #6920 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

I got the Samsung's because the Panny's are no longer available on the Panasonic website or at Best Buy in my area. If I were you I would wait for the new 2013 Panasonic glasses (That's what I'm doing). There could be some significant changes to them. Speculation is they will work with 2012 GT but they may have a replaceable battery. There's a lot of talk here on AVS as to what they will be. Do a search for Panasonic 3-D glasses and you should find the thread relating to the GT50. It's not all that long, I believe it's only six pages. wink.gif

Interesting ! Is this mainly conjecture ? I already ordered ONE set of glasses...so if there is better from Panny, I'll wait for that. Any followup info that you have on new Panny glasses and of course, interest in them WORKING with XX-GT50.
post #6921 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Have you ruled out the source by seeing if the 3-D side by side stays on just from watching something normally?

What do you mean watching something normally?
I put the TV on 3D side by side on a non 3d channel and it is blurry if that is what you mean.
I don't know how that rules in or out the source.....
post #6922 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean watching something normally?
I put the TV on 3D side by side on a non 3d channel and it is blurry if that is what you mean.
I don't know how that rules in or out the source.....

Did it turn off on a non-3D channel? No, I don't suppose that would rule it out unless you were able to test the side by side 3D on another 3D source besides where you originally got it from. Can you try this? Also, are you manually selecting side by side? Shouldn't it natively use the correct option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdvjs7ng4s
post #6923 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Did it turn off on a non-3D channel? No, I don't suppose that would rule it out unless you were able to test the side by side 3D on another 3D source besides where you originally got it from. Can you try this? Also, are you manually selecting side by side? Shouldn't it natively use the correct option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdvjs7ng4s
\

We dont have any 3d channels. The only way we can get 3D through the cable box is by renting a 3D movie on Demand.
Like I said... it will switch in between being in two pictures side by side, and displaying the 3D in one image correctly.

It does this no matter if I have the 3D settings to Native or Side By Side 3D.

How could you check the side by side on a different source? That makes no sense to me.
Blu Ray 3D movies aren't in Side by Side 3d format. Only broadcast 3D signals really use this. Thus why it is Side by Side Format ON DEMAND.
I don't think I understand what you are asking me to try.....

According to Panasonic... when something is shown in side by side 3d format.. you are supposed to go in and manually choose side by side 3d.
I did this... but it keeps switching back from a correct 3D picture... back to the two images side by side on the screen.
post #6924 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

\

We dont have any 3d channels. The only way we can get 3D through the cable box is by renting a 3D movie on Demand.
Like I said... it will switch in between being in two pictures side by side, and displaying the 3D in one image correctly.

It does this no matter if I have the 3D settings to Native or Side By Side 3D.

How could you check the side by side on a different source? That makes no sense to me.
Blu Ray 3D movies aren't in Side by Side 3d format. Only broadcast 3D signals really use this. Thus why it is Side by Side Format ON DEMAND.
I don't think I understand what you are asking me to try.....

According to Panasonic... when something is shown in side by side 3d format.. you are supposed to go in and manually choose side by side 3d.
I did this... but it keeps switching back from a correct 3D picture... back to the two images side by side on the screen.

I meant a different source as in, not the movie you rented. Did you try seeing if the same problem occurred on SBS on Youtube? You can find much more than a trailer on there. I was able to watch 15 minutes of that link I posted with no problems, but I don't know how much that really helps you. If the SBS works fine on Youtube though, then I assume the rented movie must be the problem somehow?
post #6925 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Just use your eyes, it's easy to spot.
What should I look for? I've tried this before and never saw a difference? Should graphic be on for movies and gaming? Or just gaming? I'm all for better or smoother picture
post #6926 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I meant a different source as in, not the movie you rented. Did you try seeing if the same problem occurred on SBS on Youtube? You can find much more than a trailer on there. I was able to watch 15 minutes of that link I posted with no problems, but I don't know how much that really helps you. If the SBS works fine on Youtube though, then I assume the rented movie must be the problem somehow?

Ok I am watching that Youtube video via Vierra Connect. So far it is working properly. I'm gonna see if it switches back to a double picture like the 3D On Demand is doing and get back to ya on it.
post #6927 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 PM

15 minutes though and it is working fine through Youtube.....
If it works all the way should I have my cable company come by tomorrow and switch my box or something?
But... does the Youtube going through my TV with Vierra Connect use the cable box?
If so then Im stumped because that would then not rule out the cable box as the problem
post #6928 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What should I look for? I've tried this before and never saw a difference? Should graphic be on for movies and gaming? Or just gaming? I'm all for better or smoother picture

Off or Auto will make anything "bright" light up like a light bulb. I imagine you want this set to Graphics for games or movies, unless you like the "bloom" effect it gives. It's hardly necessary though, Game mode is too bright as it is, since it uses a built in AGC. It's at least 2-3x stronger than the Custom mode AGC in the pro settings, at it's max setting. You have to set brightness in Game mode down to around 44-46 to get even close to the same picture as custom mode at 55 brightness. Game mode naturally brightens darker images, and that's a separate feature entirely from the dynamic bloom of "Auto/Off". Game mode won't make dark content look authentic, but if you set the brightness around 45 you can make anything short of a "night scene" appear fairly natural. You can go darker than that, but the lower you go you will start to cause black crush and a serious loss of shadow detail.
post #6929 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

15 minutes though and it is working fine through Youtube.....
If it works all the way should I have my cable company come by tomorrow and switch my box or something?
But... does the Youtube going through my TV with Vierra Connect use the cable box?
If so then Im stumped because that would then not rule out the cable box as the problem

No I don't see any reason it would use your cable box. Yeah, switching out the box is probably a good start if the problem isn't with the SBS settings on the TV itself. I'm not sure if that will fix the issue, but if you can watch other 3D material just fine in SBS then it can't be the TV right?
post #6930 of 9741 Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:

No I don't see any reason it would use your cable box. Yeah, switching out the box is probably a good start if the problem isn't with the SBS settings on the TV itself. I'm not sure if that will fix the issue, but if you can watch other 3D material just fine in SBS then it can't be the TV right?

I dunno.. that's what I'm asking hahaha
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page