Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 232 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 9838 Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Off or Auto will make anything "bright" light up like a light bulb. I imagine you want this set to Graphics for games or movies, unless you like the "bloom" effect it gives. It's hardly necessary though, Game mode is too bright as it is, since it uses a built in AGC. It's at least 2-3x stronger than the Custom mode AGC in the pro settings, at it's max setting. You have to set brightness in Game mode down to around 44-46 to get even close to the same picture as custom mode at 55 brightness. Game mode naturally brightens darker images, and that's a separate feature entirely from the dynamic bloom of "Auto/Off". Game mode won't make dark content look authentic, but if you set the brightness around 45 you can make anything short of a "night scene" appear fairly natural. You can go darker than that, but the lower you go you will start to cause black crush and a serious loss of shadow detail.

Hm. Thank you. I'll try setting it to graphics then. See if I notice a difference. I've noticed game mode is crazy bright. I believe I had brightness set to 48.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 9838 Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

No I don't see any reason it would use your cable box. Yeah, switching out the box is probably a good start if the problem isn't with the SBS settings on the TV itself. I'm not sure if that will fix the issue, but if you can watch other 3D material just fine in SBS then it can't be the TV right?

I dunno.. that's what I'm asking hahaha
post #6933 of 9838 Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman77 View Post

It could be the signal too. It's possible that you may need a signal booster.

post #6934 of 9838 Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Well, it can't be the TV because the setting doesn't change watching a different 3D source. I would say it's either the actual service you purchased it from or something to do with your cable box. I don't know how you could figure out which it is though, short of trial and error. Hopefully it's not something like the service just won't work with a GT50, I mean that wouldn't make a lick of sense.
post #6935 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Hm. Thank you. I'll try setting it to graphics then. See if I notice a difference. I've noticed game mode is crazy bright. I believe I had brightness set to 48.

What is your contrast set at?

post #6936 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

What is your contrast set at?
post #6937 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I changed the setting to "Graphic." Not seeing any difference in anything. Ill leave it on for a few days and see if anything changes.
post #6938 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

\

We dont have any 3d channels. The only way we can get 3D through the cable box is by renting a 3D movie on Demand.
Like I said... it will switch in between being in two pictures side by side, and displaying the 3D in one image correctly.

It does this no matter if I have the 3D settings to Native or Side By Side 3D.

How could you check the side by side on a different source? That makes no sense to me.
Blu Ray 3D movies aren't in Side by Side 3d format. Only broadcast 3D signals really use this. Thus why it is Side by Side Format ON DEMAND.
I don't think I understand what you are asking me to try.....

According to Panasonic... when something is shown in side by side 3d format.. you are supposed to go in and manually choose side by side 3d.
I did this... but it keeps switching back from a correct 3D picture... back to the two images side by side on the screen.

I don't recall having to go and manually choose side-by-side, as Panasonic claims, when I watched such 3D during the Olympics. I think I just accepted the 3D option that popped up on the screen. It stayed in 3D as long as I wanted.
post #6939 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Under Custom take contrast up to 90-95, turn up brightness to 50-56, set gamma to 2.6, panel brightness to Mid, Black extension to 0 and AGC to 0. Make as many of those changes to THX Bright Room as allowed also.

If that's still too dark for you, would it be possible for you to post a picture so we can get a better idea of what you're seeing?

Edit: I'll be darned if I'm not trying to help the wrong person, sorry. I was trying to help crow216 make his picture brighter.

post #6940 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

I don't recall having to go and manually choose side-by-side, as Panasonic claims, when I watched such 3D during the Olympics. I think I just accepted the 3D option that popped up on the screen. It stayed in 3D as long as I wanted.

This is why I tend to think his signal isn't consistent and may need a booster.
Quote:

\

We dont have any 3d channels. The only way we can get 3D through the cable box is by renting a 3D movie on Demand.
Like I said... it will switch in between being in two pictures side by side, and displaying the 3D in one image correctly.

It does this no matter if I have the 3D settings to Native or Side By Side 3D.

How could you check the side by side on a different source? That makes no sense to me.
Blu Ray 3D movies aren't in Side by Side 3d format. Only broadcast 3D signals really use this. Thus why it is Side by Side Format ON DEMAND.
I don't think I understand what you are asking me to try.....

According to Panasonic... when something is shown in side by side 3d format.. you are supposed to go in and manually choose side by side 3d.
I did this... but it keeps switching back from a correct 3D picture... back to the two images side by side on the screen.

Just thought about this some more, have you checked your glasses to ensure that they're staying paired and working properly? Is Auto Detect set to Auto 2?
Also, check your connections at the wall and into your TIVO . If you have any spare jumper cables I'd try swapping those out too. Once I was having problems and the connector in the wall was bad, another time, different outlet, it was loose coming into the connector.

post #6941 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

No I don't see any reason it would use your cable box. Yeah, switching out the box is probably a good start if the problem isn't with the SBS settings on the TV itself. I'm not sure if that will fix the issue, but if you can watch other 3D material just fine in SBS then it can't be the TV right?

Quote:

Quote:

Forgive me for sounding really crazy in this post but....where is the side by side setting on the GT50? I only see 2D, 3D, and 2D>3D. I'd like to know because I posted a question for which I didnt get a reply. I asked about EVO 3D video output in 3D format on the GT50. Anyway, still at the risk of sounding crazy....I think its your cable box. When you turn it on, it should go to a default channel which is non-3D and the front of your box should/could display "2D". My box works fine on PPV. There are several free 3D titles that I can use. The thing is, my box does TAB....so not sure if that helps you out. First step, replace the box...believe it or not, sometimes you have to be really specific about the box you want. Ask what is the most popular box FOR 3D that they deploy in your area and request that model. If you can play SBS on Youtube, then your TV is fine.
post #6942 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

Forgive me for sounding really crazy in this post but....where is the side by side setting on the GT50? I only see 2D, 3D, and 2D>3D. I'd like to know because I posted a question for which I didnt get a reply. I asked about EVO 3D video output in 3D format on the GT50. Anyway, still at the risk of sounding crazy....I think its your cable box. When you turn it on, it should go to a default channel which is non-3D and the front of your box should/could display "2D". My box works fine on PPV. There are several free 3D titles that I can use. The thing is, my box does TAB....so not sure if that helps you out. First step, replace the box...believe it or not, sometimes you have to be really specific about the box you want. Ask what is the most popular box FOR 3D that they deploy in your area and request that model. If you can play SBS on Youtube, then your TV is fine.

Under the Setup tab, Auto 2 is for side by side, other adjustments cannot be made without playing a 3D movie. The box is a TIVO, unless it's defective it should be fine.

post #6943 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The E-Help is the real manual, it is available on your tv and can be read online or downloaded. I keep a copy on my computer. Randy was kind enough to provide a link in the second post of this thread.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_GT50.PDF

post #6944 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Under the Setup tab, Auto 2 is for side by side, other adjustments cannot be made without playing a 3D movie. The box is a TIVO, unless it's defective it should be fine.

Oh, ok, its a Tivo, sorry about that, I thought it was a digital cable convertor from his cable company. Thanks for the info on the SBS. So is Auto 1 for TAB?
sheshechic likes this.
post #6945 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, ok, its a Tivo, sorry about that, I thought it was a digital cable convertor from his cable company. Thanks for the info on the SBS. So is Auto 1 for TAB?

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say TAB. Tablet?
See page 37 or 178 of the manual I linked to for what it says about 3D settings.

post #6946 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say TAB. Tablet?
See page 37 or 178 of the manual I linked to for what it says about 3D settings.

TaB (Top and Bottom)
post #6947 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TaB (Top and Bottom)

Ah, yes top and bottom. (slapping my forehead). I have yet to watch a split screen 3D. The answer to your question is - Auto 2, it's side-by-side and top-and-bottom.

post #6948 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I changed the setting to "Graphic." Not seeing any difference in anything. Ill leave it on for a few days and see if anything changes.

You can't see any change, even in a picture with a bright light source? Depending on what you're looking at it's not that easy to tell, but on most content you can see the image just "light up". I will find you a reference picture that should easily convey the change.

Edit: I seem to have been mistaken, Auto = Graphics, Off is the only option which will keep the dynamic bloom enabled. If you don't see a difference between Graphics and Off in this photo however, I'm not sure what that means. I suppose you just wouldn't have the effect for whatever reason and don't need to worry about it. The entire spotlight should light up in the photo.

Screen02.png 2705k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen02.png (2.64 MB, 30 views)
post #6949 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM

HD-Master, why does your updated settings look different than your older settings that are not using wide color? Which one is the more accurate to d65 the old settings or the new ones?
post #6950 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User9283 View Post

HD-Master, why does your updated settings look different than your older settings that are not using wide color? Which one is the more accurate to d65 the old settings or the new ones?

Isn't wide color the only thing he changed? It's really not going to affect anything all that much.

Use whatever you think looks better.
post #6951 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 925
The fact that he changed color to Wide meant that he had to make other changes. Im sure he will explain further.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6952 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM

That is correct, he did make other changes in the wb menu compared to his old settings when he switched to wide. You guys can compare here is the link http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/5910 to me his wide color settings appear to have a much cooler color temperature and his old settings look exactly like dnice's settings but a little better. I just want to know which one is closer to d65 in terms of color reproduction.
post #6953 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User9283 View Post

That is correct, he did make other changes in the wb menu compared to his old settings when he switched to wide. You guys can compare here is the link http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/5910 to me his wide color settings appear to have a much cooler color temperature and his old settings look exactly like dnice's settings but a little better. I just want to know which one is closer to d65 in terms of color reproduction.

True enough, for some reason I didn't think they changed that much, if at all. Saying they appear "much cooler" is probably a stretch. I'm sure both settings are reasonably close enough to d65 that it honestly shouldn't matter. Feel free to wait for HD-Master's expert opinion though.

However, I stand by my original suggestion. cool.gif
post #6954 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you guys have a calibration under the vivid settings? I'm finding that setting HDMI to graphics doesn't do much of anything but when I turn it to off, the screen gets much brighter, especially on custom.
post #6955 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

Do you guys have a calibration under the vivid settings? I'm finding that setting HDMI to graphics doesn't do much of anything but when I turn it to off, the screen gets much brighter, especially on custom.

There isn't going to be any kind of accurate calibration for Vivid, the best you can do is set it to Warm 2, and even then it's going to be off by a lot. The HDMI settings don't do anything on Custom mode, they only have an affect on Game mode. In Game mode leaving the setting on "Off" will give you dynamic bloom, and Graphics/Auto will turn it off. I still think you're just not adjusting to the picture brightness, but I don't know what it is you're seeing. Is there any way you can show us whether or not your display is much darker than it should be?
post #6956 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

This won't help with your TiVO streaming problems, but I have watched several full length 3D movies that were in the SBS format. They played fine. No loss of 3D. These were .mkv files and played from a media player connected with HDMI. I seriously doubt that there is anything wrong with your TV.

My GUESS is that the problem is related to short lived "hick-ups" in the stream getting to the TV. If this is a problem that is occurring from an off-site video stream it could be just a split second interruption of the stream that the TV is seeing as the "end" of the stream. If the TV isn't auto detecting the 3D then it won't display it when it resumes. This interruption would only need to be a few hundred milliseconds.

So, does the TV auto detect the movie at the beginning or do you have to start the 3D manually ?

If this is not a live stream and is being played from a download file on the TiVO you may have a problem similar to above but being caused by a momentary lapse of the hard drive.
post #6957 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM

i got my 60 gt50 yesterday. im proud to say that that i have seen no noticeable ir and have no outstanding "buzz". im using hd masters settings but cant help but think that the picture looks washed out no matter what settings i use. im hoping its not a defective unit frown.gif. even my old g25 seems to look better color wise though the gt50 does have darker blacks.
any suggestions?
post #6958 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't see any change, even in a picture with a bright light source? Depending on what you're looking at it's not that easy to tell, but on most content you can see the image just "light up". I will find you a reference picture that should easily convey the change.

Edit: I seem to have been mistaken, Auto = Graphics, Off is the only option which will keep the dynamic bloom enabled. If you don't see a difference between Graphics and Off in this photo however, I'm not sure what that means. I suppose you just wouldn't have the effect for whatever reason and don't need to worry about it. The entire spotlight should light up in the photo.

Screen02.png 2705k .png file
Ill be sure to check that pic out in a bit!
post #6959 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand View Post

i got my 60 gt50 yesterday. im proud to say that that i have seen no noticeable ir and have no outstanding "buzz". im using hd masters settings but cant help but think that the picture looks washed out no matter what settings i use. im hoping its not a defective unit frown.gif. even my old g25 seems to look better color wise though the gt50 does have darker blacks.
any suggestions?

You may need to put some hours on the TV, the set goes through subtle color shifts in the first 100 hours. Even with that said, I never thought my TV looked "washed out" right out of the box.
post #6960 of 9838 Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not sure, what would be preferable? I'm up for suggestions.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page