Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 256 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Panasonic Plasma Buzzing Whining Sound 2011, 2012 Permanent Repair Fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YWSerwlWjM

Most of the fixes on youtube for plasma buzz are tightening screws inside, not on the back panel.

The owner of this VT30 recorded the buzz coming from the back of his set. Note the first comment by MrJesseistheman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6_6kTyt01I

The first comment is similar on this video for buzz on an S30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4ccBdHWdE

There are also several videos of ST50s with buzz.
TIME2PLAYDAGAME likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Its funny that you say that. Perhaps my posts have been misleading. If so I apologize. I was just discussing the merits and value of avr room correction vs a manual calibration. I never said that I calibrated my system. While I do have some knowledge of calibration I do not have the equipment.That is why my comments have been general comments and not the merits of a particular type of software or piece of equipment. I do however have friends who have both the knowledge and the equipment. One of them makes money by installing and calibrating high end av systems in peoples homes on occasion. As well as computer equipment and general troubleshooting. This is where I learned that many of the avr room correction systems are not all that the public is led to believe. He is the one who calibrated my system. For free, of course.

Okay, got ya.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My GT50 has horrible burn in and the buzzing is getting worse.I am sitting here watching sports center and I can hear the buzzing from 11 feet away.I emailed Panasonic and they told me to call them so I can speak to a rep.I bought theTV last May from Amazon.Hopefully I can get this resolved.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

My GT50 has horrible burn in and the buzzing is getting worse.I am sitting here watching sports center and I can hear the buzzing from 11 feet away.I emailed Panasonic and they told me to call them so I can speak to a rep.I bought theTV last May from Amazon.Hopefully I can get this resolved.

How long have you had ir and how do you think it got so bad?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 PM

The ir is bad from the kids watching the Disney channel and smart vierra is burned in and the buzzing is getting worse
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:

The ir is bad from the kids watching the Disney channel and smart vierra is burned in and the buzzing is getting worse
The Smart Viera logo from when you turn on the tv?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

IR can look like burn-in if almost all your TV watching is on the same channel.

How long ago did you first notice that you had IR, and what were you watching when you first notice that you have IR?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Burn in isn't covered under warranty so I wouldn't expect Panasonic to do anything. If anything they are just going to try to give you ways to help alleviate it. Other then that there is not much you can do.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Your room is beautiful, and from a design perspective, the clearance between the couch and your desk is fine- minimum is 18". If the piece of furniture were taller than your desk, you'd most likely want more distance. BTW, love your map. Yesterday I was looking at a collection of railroad maps that I have and was trying to decide whether I should sell them or frame them. They're circa 1905 and not all are in the best condition.

For the buzz, try putting a little pressure with your hand on the back panel, where you think the buzz might be coming from, to see if that has any effect. If it does, maybe tightening the screws will help. The best way might be to loosen the screws that hold the panel in place while the tv is off (cold), turn the tv on and let it warm up, and then tighten the screws back down while its still warm.

Thank you very much! I'm really pleased how the room worked out. The desk was basically immovable so working around it was a chore, but it turned out nicely. I really love that map picture too, it used to be right where the TV was and the couch used to be underneath it with a coffee table. Was a nice sitting area, if I was tired of sitting at the desk I could move over to the couch, work and see my old TV on the wall across the room (behind those pictures). Now with the TV and the fantastic off-center viewing of plasma, I have everything right there.

I can still hear buzzing on a mostly bright screen, but it isn't too bad, seems like less than before. One thing I've started to wonder is if the electrical feed could be a culprit. I live in a building downtown that was built in 1929, retrofitted for condos about 30 years ago. The wiring and electrical work is not great, I've redone my kitchen and master bath myself including electrical work and it has been a major pain. Static electricity is also huge problem in the entire place. I am tempted to get one of those Monster/APS/Panamax power strip/conditioners to see what happens. If it doesn't help with buzzing, oh well, I need a power strip/surge protector anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaxv View Post

Hello. Just purchased my P60GT50 about 2 weeks ago after exhaustive research. Went with the Panny as the reviews about it were pretty great. Love this set. Incredible picture and it's super thin and light. Was able to mount it on the on the wall myself. Upgraded from a 7 year 50" Samsung plasma which was not as much fun to mount or remove by myself from a wall.. For me, nothing beats a PDP picture.

Have some questions:

- I noticed there are some gamers here. What settings are you guys using for Xbox/PS3? From what I've read, they both display different pictures, but is the Game setting a good setting to use, or should I use one of the other setting and change values there? I mostly use the PS3 for Blu Rays and Xbox for gaming.
- IR/Burn In - played alot of Xbox on it and have had no noticeable IR and no BI. I know every panel is different and results may vary, but I think the IR/BI issue is blown out or porportion
- I used the D-Nice Slides for the recommended hours, along with varied content, and confg'd the TV to his recommended settings. Once thing I noticed is that his settings and many others say to set color to Warm 2, but I find it makes whites a little red. I don't care for it, but is that what it's supposed to look like? I'm guessing it might be personal preference, but have I been looking at a TV picture wrong all these years?
- No buzzing!
- The Netflix app isn't the best. Noticed alot of jittery movement in films (watched Paranormal Activity and Captain Amerca for example), but animated films look incredible (some of the WB DC Animated Unverse movies). Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

From a gaming perspective, I've yet to use any setting except my custom settings for TV and bluray. I haven't noticed much input lag yet and that includes online gaming. I tried game mode a few times, it wasn't bad but until I start noticing input lag, I'm keeping it on the best looking settings. I've yet to have any significant IR that was visible during regular viewing or that was even visible on slides after a couple minutes.

Agree about the Netflix app, I have used it some just to test and it is just horrible quality. Meanwhile the Netflix app on PS3 or 360 works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand View Post

OK, so i know there's supposed to be no price talk in this thread, but with so many people buying the gt50 lately i thought id pass along some info. pauls tv has the 60gt50 for 1599.99 with the code save100. I'm calling tomorrow to get a $100 refund. biggrin.gif

Thanks for this, sent Amazon an e-mail with the PaulsTV coupon link to see if I can get another $100 back.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 23

Just a quick note for those this might benefit. From the advice of a friend of mine who is a HT enthusiast

I have from the moment I started investing in AV equipment purchased a smart UPS dedicated to

powering and protecting my TVs. The power where I reside is ok for the most part but almost every day

at least once a day I hear the UPS click on from a minor brownout. So to wrap up I recommend

to everyone wanting to help protect their units from brownouts and surges invest in a reasonably

sized UPS (around 700-800VA, more if you can afford it) not just a surge protector. A SMART-UPS

is preferred but a Back-UPS, although not as configurable, would provide alot of protection. Brownouts

tend to cause more issues than surges and I find not many people are aware of that fact.

No I do not work for APC smile.gif

Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 AM

2000 hours cinema picture mode conrast=100 mll 0,0022cdm:cool:
Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

IR can look like burn-in if almost all your TV watching is on the same channel.

How long ago did you first notice that you had IR, and what were you watching when you first notice that you have IR?
I dont remember when I first noticed the burn in.My kids watch the Disney channel a lot and mickey mouse's ears are bright whit in the bottom left corner.The overall PQ has steadily declined since new.The buzzing during bright screens(white)is really annoying.I am beginning to second guess buying a plasma,only because my kids watch one channel too much and the buzzing is ridiculous.
I was watching Battleship on HBO this morning and there was a lot of distortion during high speed action sequences as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM

I am starting to wonder if your TV is having power issues. Motion artifacts and PQ degrading sounds like something might be

seriously wrong with your unit.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypaul View Post

I am just curious what everyone here are using as an A/V receiver that plays nicely with the GT50.
I just want to make sure whatever I buy does not change the quality of the image before it is sent
to the TV in case I use the receiver as the main hub.
I had also planned to reuse my existing speakers so it need to accept raw wire. Thanks in advance

Pioneer Elite VSX-33. It is great and I love it. I believe you can find it new for a great price. I paid $550 BNIB for mine. I also got a Panamax M5300-PM at a great deal. Just saying because I see several complaints here and other threads but my system and GT works great with no issues......may be because I get clean power???
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Well yeah, for sure. I don't agree with Rand'y assessment at all, that the TV shouldn't be audible on a white slide in a quiet room from even just a couple feet away. I can hear a white slide from 10 feet away very clearly, but don't have any issues while watching TV at a normal volume. That's really all that should count, same thing with IR. However if you have either of those issues, it's a different story.

I would have to agree with Randy as I experience what he is stating. Maybe I have a fantastic GT or the fact that I use a Panamax m5300-PM as my power conditioner. I really don't know but I am very happy with my system.
sheshechic likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

I would have to agree with Randy as I experience what he is stating. Maybe I have a fantastic GT or the fact that I use a Panamax m5300-PM as my power conditioner. I really don't know but I am very happy with my system.

I am starting to wonder as well about the effect dirty power might have on these units regarding the buzzing and other strange issues. That is part of

the reason I made the UPS suggestion earlier. Using a line conditioner as you do is a great solution too. Like you my TV is real quiet even in dead

silence. I have to go behind the unit to hear the buzz even on a white screen

Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypaul View Post

I am starting to wonder as well about the effect dirty power might have on these units regarding the buzzing and other strange issues. That is part of
the reason I made the UPS suggestion earlier. Using a line conditioner as you do is a great solution too

I'm not really sure as I am not an electrical engineer wink.gif just a guy that does research on what I will be purchasing. I buy it, hook it up and enjoy it. Simple. I thought the power conditioner was a smart decision to protect my more substantial investment. I like the UPS suggestion also but think the conditioner is a better idea for this type (AVR, TV, BD, GC, etc) equipment. Both are better than a power strip.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I'm not really sure as I am not an electrical engineer wink.gif just a guy that does research on what I will be purchasing. I buy it, hook it up and enjoy it. Simple. I thought the power conditioner was a smart decision to protect my more substantial investment. I like the UPS suggestion also but think the conditioner is a better idea for this type (AVR, TV, BD, GC, etc) equipment. Both are better than a power strip.

That's why I mentioned the Smart models because the ones I have had experiences with offer a type of line conditioning. So you get protected from

surges, brownouts, blackouts and as a bonus your current is cleaned up.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

Just saying because I see several complaints here and other threads but my system and GT works great with no issues......may be because I get clean power???

Due to the length of the 60GT50's power cord I'm not able to plug it into my Panamax. I have it plugged directly into a wall outlet and I do not have any buzzing. When I was considering a new plasma a few years ago the buzzing issue with the Panasonic plasmas concerned me. I posted several times in various Panasonic plasma threads asking those without buzzing issues if they were using a power conditioner. I received a number of replies and some were using power conditioners and some were not. The same was true for those that had buzzing issues as some were using power conditioners and they did not stop the buzzing.

I actually wonder how well power conditioners work especially ones that are fairly inexpensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of clean power is the cause of the buzzing issue with plasmas. But I have never seen anything posted on AVS that supports that as a possible cause.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Oh to be clearer I am not saying that the buzzing is directly caused by dirty power. What I am wondering is if over time

having experienced bad power or brownouts that a component in the TV gets damaged or strained which then

causes the buzzing to become more pronounced. Sorta like a compressor in a refridgerator after

a few brownouts. What led me to this line of thinking was the fact that some were saying the buzzing

increased with the age of the TV. In the end it might just be some lazy person on the production line

who could not bother to turn a screw on the power supply just one more time on a few thousand TVs smile.gif

sheshechic likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Due to the length of the 60GT50's power cord I'm not able to plug it into my Panamax. I have it plugged directly into a wall outlet and I do not have any buzzing. When I was considering a new plasma a few years ago the buzzing issue with the Panasonic plasmas concerned me. I posted several times in various Panasonic plasma threads asking those without buzzing issues if they were using a power conditioner. I received a number of replies and some were using power conditioners and some were not. The same was true for those that had buzzing issues as some were using power conditioners and they did not stop the buzzing.

I actually wonder how well power conditioners work especially ones that are fairly inexpensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of clean power is the cause of the buzzing issue with plasmas. But I have never seen anything posted on AVS that supports that as a possible cause.

Bill

The benefits of using a power conditioner have been debated ad nauseum in every AV site that has ever existed. Personally, I think it is totally dependent on everyone's individual location combined with the total load of other devices within their location. No one's power is so clean that a good conditioner won't provide some improvement. Depending on your situation, that improvement may or may not be detectable or it may be significant.

With that in mind, I will suggest that no one's power is so dirty that the internal power conditioner within the GT's power supply is being overwhelmed to the point that it creates buzzing.

Bill, how about a longer power cord.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Bill

Good point Bill, But it just gives me piece of mind and while it may be nominal it is still there somewhat! wink.gif I actually had some spare cash laying around and got the, what I consider good to better, Panamax M5300PM for $225 BNIB. Not sure if it really works but the THEORY is there! Plus it makes my A/V stack look cooler!!!! LOL

What about a longer aftermarket power cable?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why not use something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CGRLFM/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=lamps-light

A longer aftermarket cable may be hard to find. How much length does he need?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

A longer aftermarket cable may be hard to find. How much length does he need?
Not really.

Monoprice

The first issue with power is protection from surges. Then, if blackouts and brownouts are common, an uninterrupted power supply with surge protection is the next level. As for power conditioning or cleaning, I'll leave that to the Gods. wink.gif
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not really.

Monoprice

The first issue with power is protection from surges. Then, if blackouts and brownouts are common, an uninterrupted power supply with surge protection is the next level. As for power conditioning or cleaning, I'll leave that to the Gods. wink.gif
All of those will work on the GT, ST? I wouldnt mind having one a couple feet longer.What gauge? 18, 16, 14

Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

The benefits of using a power conditioner have been debated ad nauseum in every AV site that has ever existed. Personally, I think it is totally dependent on everyone's individual location combined with the total load of other devices within their location. No one's power is so clean that a good conditioner won't provide some improvement. Depending on your situation, that improvement may or may not be detectable or it may be significant.

With that in mind, I will suggest that no one's power is so dirty that the internal power conditioner within the GT's power supply is being overwhelmed to the point that it creates buzzing.

Bill, how about a longer power cord.
Quote:

Good point Bill, But it just gives me piece of mind and while it may be nominal it is still there somewhat! wink.gif I actually had some spare cash laying around and got the, what I consider good to better, Panamax M5300PM for $225 BNIB. Not sure if it really works but the THEORY is there! Plus it makes my A/V stack look cooler!!!! LOL

What about a longer aftermarket power cable?

I definitely need to get a longer power cable so I can plug the 60GT50 into my Panamax 5100EX. I couldn't believe that the PC that came with the 60GT50 was only about 5' long rolleyes.gif. I agree that power conditioners are a positive for various reasons. But I'm just not sure how well the lower priced ones actually clean up the power in ones house. I consider the 5100EX to work well but I feel it is a lower priced unit.
Quote:

Not really. Monoprice

Monoprice is the route I was going to take. Great suggestion smile.gif. I'm done with fancy aftermarket PCs, been there done that wink.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Not really.

Monoprice Standard PC Power Cords

All of those will work on the GT, ST? I wouldnt mind having one a couple feet longer.What gauge? 18, 16, 14
I don't own a Panasonic, but I assume the power cord is standard. You just have to buy the same type connector. In general I would use a heavier gauge as the cord got longer. What's the gauge on the Panasonic cord?

If I ever take our display off the wall again, I'll probably replace it's power cord with the shortest one available. biggrin.gif

EDIT: The power cords at Monoprice have standard PC type connectors. Our display has been on the wall for over five years and I can't remember if it's a standard PC connector. It probably is. It also seems to be a heavy gauge cord. Details. eek.gif
Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Someone that didn't know about Monoprice!? That's a bit of a surprise. Sometimes you get more then what you pay for peeps!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

I don't think the power cords that I linked to will work unless the Panasonic cords have a PC type connector. You can click through on the image of the cords and see exactly what the PC type connector looks like. Monoprice has a chat option where you can ask about the correct type connector.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This 10' 14 gauge 3 conducter power cable should work fine with my 60GT50. But I'll double check to be sure before ordering.

Bill

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv