Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #8281 of 9741 Old 03-23-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

If I had the option to have either BD quality video or audio, I would take audio every time. smile.gif

Different stokes for different folks, nothing wrong with that.
I agree. I do both because I watch a lot of DVD movies that aren't transfered to Blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 9741 Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I agree. I do both because I watch a lot of DVD movies that aren't transfered to Blu-ray.

I've understood the comments so far but I can read this one two different ways.. You seem to indicate that you are also geared toward high quality audio but you watch a lot of DVD's that are based on compressed and lossy formats. I'm not following if you are in the lossless camp or DTS camp and if you actually hear a difference between the two.

I realize this has strayed from the gt50 but now you folks have planted the seed of DTS-MA in the back of my mind wink.gif As much as I like my current receiver, I now think I may be missing out on something frown.gif
post #8283 of 9741 Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Quote:

I've understood the comments so far but I can read this one two different ways.. You seem to indicate that you are also geared toward high quality audio but you watch a lot of DVD's that are based on compressed and lossy formats. I'm not following if you are in the lossless camp or DTS camp and if you actually hear a difference between the two.

I realize this has strayed from the gt50 but now you folks have planted the seed of DTS-MA in the back of my mind wink.gif As much as I like my current receiver, I now think I may be missing out on something frown.gif
I hear the difference between lossless and lossy, but I can enjoy lossy. I feel that there is a bigger difference between a surround system set up with the Denon 3312's Audyssey and one calibrated by UMR. Maybe because Audyssey does sometimes make mistakes.

When we had UMR calibrate our audio and video, I enjoyed the improvement in our video, but the improvement in audio was a bigger surprise.

There are great movies that haven't made it to Blu-ray. That's why I still watch DVDs. I'm in neither camp. wink.gif
post #8284 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Quote:

I hear the difference between lossless and lossy, but I can enjoy lossy. The difference between lossless and lossy audio, for me, isn't as great as the difference between a room calibrated using the Denon 3312's Audyssey and one calibrated by UMR.

When we had UMR calibrate our audio and video, I enjoyed the improvement in our Kuro's picture quality, but the improvement in audio was a bigger surprise.

There are great movies that haven't made it to Blu-ray. That's why I still watch DVDs. As you know, depending on when they were made, the audio can range between good and tolerable. wink.gif

I don't do careful comparisons so you should take my impressions with a grain of salt. smile.gif

If you have an AVR that can accept LPCM over HDMI, and a Blu-ray player that can output LPCM instead of bit stream, then you can do lossless audio. If your AVR is pre-HDMI you'll need a new one. I don't see it as a requirement for enjoyment. biggrin.gif
post #8285 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Liked: 13
I'd like to second a big THANK YOU to all those regulars here with their wealth of experience and knowledge about this TV. I just bought my TC-P60GT50 a few weeks ago, after returning my TC-P60UT50 to Best Buy for IR problem (I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with those that say IR isn't still an issue... It is, from my experience if you don't baby these things during the first 200 hours). It's really in a class by itself and I was so spoiled by the PQ of the UT that I couldn't even find a close comparison LED in my price range for the UT, let alone the GT. Best Buy met me half way and I splurged for the GT and I could not be happier. Best TV I've ever owned for sure. And as xWillian noted above, after reading the comments of those on this thread, running those slides for the first 200 hours, and avoiding watching too much FoxNews Channel (They don't respond to complaints about their static logos), the unit is just incredible in its performance.

I LOVE THIS TV!

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Klipsch G-42 Soundbar
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
Harmony One Remote
post #8286 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Is there any way I can tag or rename my HDMI inputs? I'd like custom tags like, "Day" and "Night".
post #8287 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I am new here in this forum, and i must say i read a lot of posts before buying the GT50.
i followed every suggestion you all recommended, i ran the slide for 150 hours - and came to a point that my wife and kids was teasing me that i bought a 50 inch tv just for running color slides smile.gif - but they followed my rules and no one touched the TV during the break-in.

this plasma is great, and i am enjoying it every day! i became obsessed about it and also purchased spectra cal to calibrate it. then after calibration i had nothing to do beside watching movies smile.gif. but still something was missing, an Ambilight - now that's an idea.....

here you go, the final GT50 Ambilight:

And the video:
post #8288 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenir View Post

Hi,

I am new here in this forum, and i must say i read a lot of posts before buying the GT50.
i followed every suggestion you all recommended, i ran the slide for 150 hours - and came to a point that my wife and kids was teasing me that i bought a 50 inch tv just for running color slides smile.gif - but they followed my rules and no one touched the TV during the break-in.

this plasma is great, and i am enjoying it every day! i became obsessed about it and also purchased spectra cal to calibrate it. then after calibration i had nothing to do beside watching movies smile.gif. but still something was missing, an Ambilight - now that's an idea.....

I can see why your kids kid you. wink.gif

Thats quite an effort, and I'm assuming that you and your kids enjoy the results. I'm confused by one thing. You purchased "specra cal" and calibrated your display. That implies that you were looking for the ability to reproduce colors to the same standard used by the people who make the movies -- 6,500k. Your Ambilight setup seems to defeat that goal, and at the same time Ambilight has turned your display into a light show. For what you've accomplished, you didn't need to run the slides for 150 hours, because you didn't use D-Nice's settings. Anyway, it looks like fun. Enjoy. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Now I'm wondering what's next?
post #8289 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I can see why your kids kid you. wink.gif

Thats quite an effort, and I'm assuming that you and your kids enjoy the results. I'm confused by one thing. You purchased "specra cal" and calibrated your display. That implies that you were looking for the ability to reproduce colors to the same standard used by the people who make the movies -- 6,500k. Your Ambilight setup seems to defeat that goal, and at the same time Ambilight has turned your display into a light show. For what you've accomplished, you didn't need to run the slides for 150 hours, because you didn't use D-Nice's settings. Anyway, it looks like fun. Enjoy. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Now I'm wondering what's next?

Hi,

well...i can turn it off with a single key during a movie if i want. actually there are some movies that i leave it off.
regarding D-Nice settings, i read his post and unfortunately i have a middle east version of the GT50 and the menu settings are diffrent and he wrote that his settings are for US version only, also the DCC control is not implemented on my GT50.
post #8290 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Hi,

And the video:
What lights did you buy and where did you get them? I did the same thing with rope light but I've been wanting to change em.
post #8291 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

And the video:

And how the hell does the light change with the color being displayed on the TV? Very well done! Would like your advice.
post #8292 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Really Jukebox360? You had to quote that twice?
post #8293 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi,

well...i can turn it off with a single key during a movie if i want. actually there are some movies that i leave it off.
I assumed that.
Quote:
regarding D-Nice settings, i read his post and unfortunately i have a middle east version of the GT50 and the menu settings are diffrent and he wrote that his settings are for US version only, also the DCC control is not implemented on my GT50.
In that case, a lot of us would have advised you to watch normal programming, but to be sure that you didn't spend a lot of time watching the same fixed images -- logos and such. As long as you didn't scar your kids for life, it all works out the same. biggrin.gif
post #8294 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Really Jukebox360? You had to quote that twice?
Normally 3rd times a charm. But I didn't want to stick with that cliche.
post #8295 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

What lights did you buy and where did you get them? I did the same thing with rope light but I've been wanting to change em.

Check this company out (they sell on Amazon as well): http://inspiredled.com/ We used their lights for our under cabinet lighting in the kitchen.

post #8296 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Check this company out (they sell on Amazon as well): http://inspiredled.com/ We used their lights for our under cabinet lighting in the kitchen.
+1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390GFJS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just recently got this and I really like it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8297 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

If you're interested in back lighting that's combined with professional calibration check this out.
post #8298 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you're interested in back lighting that's combined with professional calibration check this out.
The lights at that Amazon link that I got are not colored. They are just white and are supposed to be 6500K. I am not comparing them to your link. Im just sayin...
sheshechic likes this.

post #8299 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh no, not me. lol I checkout out ambient lighting when I had a 55" lcd. Instead, I sold it and now have the 60GT50- no need. wink.gif

post #8300 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Im really glad I got it for my 60ST50. Heres a crappy picture:
Nevermind. I dont know how to take a picture from this tablet and post it here. I tried.

post #8301 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh no, not me. lol I checkout out ambient lighting when I had a 55" lcd. Instead, I sold it and now have the 60GT50- no need. wink.gif
Why is that?

post #8302 of 9741 Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just general back lighting information. wink.gif
sheshechic likes this.
post #8303 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I'll have to give these a shot.
post #8304 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I did that same project, except with LED's over the cabinet to give the room some indirect lighting so the harsh ceiling fluorescent that is up there wasn't necessary. I don't want to deal with taking that ugly thing down because I'd have to repaint the entire ceiling.

I used Sylvania's Mosaic LED strips, exact same Flexible LED concept as that link. I first saw them at Lowes but it was cheaper on Amazon. Plug into wall sockets which I fabricated above the cabinets for the project, stick them along the tops of the cabinets and the whole thing is tied back to the switch. It also has a wireless remote to change colors and make it flash and do other weird things but the unit will remember your last color setting and go to it if you just use the switch. Really awesome product and a pretty cheap project overall.

Lowes also had some 6500K strips that I was going to do for the TV, but figured it'd just be a waste.

Here is plain white:

Here is all red:

It is actually on two plugs so I can use the remote to do one side one color and the other side another, but it all goes back to one plug. I really love those strips and need to find more places to use them.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8305 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:

Hi,

i purchased similar product as this from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-or-60-or-90-LED-strip-LightPack-AMBILIGHT-USB-monitor-backlights-kit-/160995919221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257c1ac575

basically the software scan the desktop area and display the color on the led stripes.
post #8306 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 AM

Liked: 23

Found a slightly annoying issue. When I pair my bluetooth headset to my TV and then try to play my Wii the

controllers exibit a horrible amount of lag. Apparently these bluetooth devices I have don't play well with each other

It is sad because my PS3 controller which I use for PC gaming works just fine while I am using the 3D

glasses. Anyone else have any bluetooth quirks to share?

post #8307 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:

I recently bought a kit from them and also bought the dimmer in case it was too bright. Just finishing up some construction then I can wall mount the TV and install the lights.
sheshechic likes this.

post #8308 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

Is there any way I can tag or rename my HDMI inputs? I'd like custom tags like, "Day" and "Night".

Yes you can, it's right there in the settings menu. And in the instruction manual biggrin.gif
sheshechic likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8309 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

I recently bought a kit from them and also bought the dimmer in case it was too bright. Just finishing up some construction then I can wall mount the TV and install the lights.
Did you buy the $25 dimmer from them or did you find a different one?

post #8310 of 9741 Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi,

i purchased similar product as this from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-or-60-or-90-LED-strip-LightPack-AMBILIGHT-USB-monitor-backlights-kit-/160995919221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257c1ac575

basically the software scan the desktop area and display the color on the led stripes.

These are really cool, I just wish you didn't need a PC to process the video. Hopefully someone comes up with an HDMI pass through system where no PC is required.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page