Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel View Post

I would have considered the GT-50 but was scared off when the HDJ insider informed me gamma in THX mode was not corrected again this year. To be honest with you setting Custom mode to 2.6 will only give you an actual gamma level of 2.2 which is still a touch low for my dark viewing preference. I was also confused why the extra gradation was only applicable in Cinema, again a mode with a locked in gamma level that is actually around 1.9

That info is false, look at Chad's review and his measurements of gamma out of the box the gamma in THX mode is very close to 2.2.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I agree with HLdan completely reagarding the dual-processors - sluggish menu performance is not somethiing that anybody should have to tolerate on these tvs. Even the St50 costs a lot of money and a dual-core processor should not be a "feature", it should be standard. Their lack of a dual-core processor in the ST50 makes their Vierra Connect seem sluggish - yet they advertise the Vierra connect as a major selling point of the tv. So basically they crippled, to some degree, the operation of the feature by only including a single processor in the ST50.

I will say that in general the settings menus seem very snappy, though from just a quick look at Vierra Connect it did seem quite sluggish - in my opinion the dual processor should have been standard, not an additional "feature".

For sure if I had the extra money I would have gone with the GT50. But that was not possible for me. I just think that in most areas, from everything I have read, the image quality is very close if not identical to most people. I can see the dual-processor being important for those who use the apps often.

I'm still confused over just what modes the extra gradations of the GT50 are available in. If it's not available in THX mode or custom, and just in cinema, then I see no value in that for most people.
post #813 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 55GT50 arrived this morning, initial impression is a big thumbs up! Picture looks great after just some minor tweaking to the custom mode (used d-nice's ST50 no prep settings as a starting point), and the Apps seem to perform great. Very snappy and responsive, tried both Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming and they both looked amazing. No flash support, but the web browser otherwise seems to perform well.

There is definitely a slight buzz, comes and goes with bright scenes as others have noted, but is really only noticeable when the sound is muted, and even then is rather slight. I'd describe it as somewhat similar to the "hum" of the old picture tube TVs.

Can anyone recommend a media server to run for streaming using the DLNA player? Using Windows Media Player, I could stream xvid .avi files, but not .mkv files. I also tried the PS3 Media Server which I had used with my Xbox 360, and while I was able to connect to that, it didn't seem to be able to play anything.
post #814 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiene View Post

My 55GT50 arrived this morning, initial impression is a big thumbs up! Picture looks great after just some minor tweaking to the custom mode (used d-nice's ST50 no prep settings as a starting point), and the Apps seem to perform great. Very snappy and responsive, tried both Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming and they both looked amazing. No flash support, but the web browser otherwise seems to perform well.

There is definitely a slight buzz, comes and goes with bright scenes as others have noted, but is really only noticeable when the sound is muted, and even then is rather slight. I'd describe it as somewhat similar to the "hum" of the old picture tube TVs.

Can anyone recommend a media server to run for streaming using the DLNA player? Using Windows Media Player, I could stream xvid .avi files, but not .mkv files. I also tried the PS3 Media Server which I had used with my Xbox 360, and while I was able to connect to that, it didn't seem to be able to play anything.

There is a free app called "Servio" that might work...

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #815 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

there are no advantages to buying the GT50 ?

This question can only be answered by the buyer at hand

The GT50 adds these features below:

24,576 Equivalent Steps of Gradation
1,080p Pure Direct
4 HDMI Terminals
3 USB Terminals
PC Input Terminal
Pure Image Creation
Vivid Color Creation
THX® 3D Certified Display
Multitasking
Stylish Metal Frame
post #816 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I agree with all that HLdan has said. I'd add that since most people will never see both models in a store and even more will never see them side by side, they are dependent on others and are justifying that dependency. I don't mean that to be harsh either because we all must have something to aid us in our purchase or we wouldn't be here.

D-Nice also said something about the GT having extra fluff and if you're into that then.... I'm into the extras (fluff, 3D not being at the top of the list) plus I don't have the perfect viewing environment, and I need/want a choice of more than one preset.

Ya know, I believe the same thing was said about the ST30 last year - best bang for your buck. It did an awesome job in the mini shoot-out against the GT25 but in the end it was the GT30 that received higher praise for performance. If I'm wrong I'm sure that someone will let me know.

There are personal reasons for buying that often must take precedence over the opinion of a professional. There is no need to knock anyone's decision, if there were then, IMO, that mess should be taken to the VT thread.

post #817 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrmike View Post

First post folks, go easy on me, I've been lurking for some time before registering yesterday -- I'm wondering if GT50 (or ST or ?T) can comment on the minimum mounting distance (from wall) Panasonic specifies in their manual for wall mounting:

I'd hoped to use a mount which would set the TV considerably closer to the wall than ~ 3".

Are the specs Panasonic lists (Page 5 of manual) for wall mounting in the league of covering-their-own er... bases, or should they be strictly adhered to?

This unit is going in a living room I'm doing a complete renovation on and my objective is to have the TV as flush as possible to the wall to minimize impact, recognizing that a 30x50" black obelisk will intrude no matter what. I'll have it mounted low enough for comfortable viewing without tilting it. I have a deep recessed 2 gang electrical box mounted behind where the unit will end up - one side for for electrical service, the other to accomodate the depth of ethernet|optical connectors and wire bend radius.

In the store it seemed the lions share comes out the front of the 55" GT50, and some to the top, to my unscientific hand-test at least.

So for you GT|ST 50 series owners... how close can one go to the wall practically (cable management) and safely (heat dissipation)? Are you satisfied with the look that was achieved in your install?

What tried and proven solid flush wall mounts would you recommend for this unit?

Mike
Vancouver, BC

I use the Sanus VLL10 for my GT50. The Sanus specs say it can go as close as .67 inches from the wall , though I had to add 2 extra washers to bring it out a little farther to accomodate the Power Cord protrusion in the back.
post #818 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel View Post

I would have considered the GT-50 but was scared off when the HDJ insider informed me gamma in THX mode was not corrected again this year. To be honest with you setting Custom mode to 2.6 will only give you an actual gamma level of 2.2 which is still a touch low for my dark viewing preference. I was also confused why the extra gradation was only applicable in Cinema, again a mode with a locked in gamma level that is actually around 1.9

Are you sure that you're not misremembering or maybe avjunkie misunderstood the question or something?

Whilst not as impressive as the VT50, the out-of-the-box performance of the P50GT50B was excellent and the greyscale measurements had errors that were on the limit of what the human eye can perceive. There were some slightly more noticeable errors in terms of the colour gamut but, even here, the overall performance was very good and for a factory preset the THX Cinema mode delivered what it promised. Thanks to the superb isf controls, the calibrated performance was absolutely reference in terms of greyscale and colour gamut. The gamma was also spot on and unlike last year, the parametric controls didn't cause any artefacts when used. The video processing has been improving each year and is now excellent, passing all our tests and delivering fantastic standard definition images and some wonderful high definition pictures, especially from Blu-ray

AVforms review: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pana...87/Review.html

post #819 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Would anyone happen to have a photo of the rear of the 55" (or other sizes) GT50 (or other 2012 "50" models)? I'm not taking delivery until mid-May - we'll be done drywall finishing and painting then but would love to see the back before then.
post #820 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM

[quote=chunon;21980252]I'm curious which pro calibrator stated there are no advantages to buying the GT50 ? It certainly wouldnt be Chad.[/QUOTE

It was Chad, but that is not exactly what he said. I believe he said that if you were looking at dark room image quality only, it would be a toss up between the ST and the GT. He also said that the bright room setting on the GT50 was a big plus.

Dennis
post #821 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli Dad View Post

I use the Sanus VLL10 for my GT50. The Sanus specs say it can go as close as .67 inches from the wall , though I had to add 2 extra washers to bring it out a little farther to accomodate the Power Cord protrusion in the back.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Anything ~ an inch or less sounds ideal and I imagine it looks sharp on your wall.

Are you using the digital optical or ethernet connections on the back? I wonder if they would protrude more than the right angle power cord plug?
post #822 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I know- right!?

I'm using THX bright room most of the time and adjust the contrast down for night time movie extravaganzas lol. I haven't had the time to run the AVS 709 or the WOW blu-ray hubby bought the other day. I also have to try to do it when hubby is busy or asleep.

I forgot to say that I lowered sharpness too.

By movie extravaganza, you mean watching blu-rays?

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #823 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I'm still confused over just what modes the extra gradations of the GT50 are available in. If it's not available in THX mode or custom, and just in cinema, then I see no value in that for most people.

I'd like to see something more substantial/reliable on what modes it is or isn't present in. I find it hard to believe that it's limited to one mode but can believe that it may be excluded from standard mode. But then I'm not an engineer either.

post #824 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

By movie extravaganza, you mean watching blu-rays?

Yepper! On Fridays we have movie date night at home.

I haven't watched a dvd yet.

post #825 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=dponeill;21980878]
Quote:

I'm curious which pro calibrator stated there are no advantages to buying the GT50 ? It certainly wouldnt be Chad.[/QUOTE

It was Chad, but that is not exactly what he said. I believe he said that if you were looking at dark room image quality only, it would be a toss up between the ST and the GT. He also said that the bright room setting on the GT50 was a big plus.

He said he'd buy the GT50, didn't he?

post #826 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=sheshechic;21980940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dponeill View Post

He said he'd buy the GT50, didn't he?

Not only did he say he'd buy one, he BOUGHT one
post #827 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=kevin_mahaney;21980945]
Quote:

Okay, so how about turning the discussion around about how the ST50 is preferred over the GT50 because it's a good buy. No one disagrees about that, at least I don't think anyone does.

Let's talk about this, from the same AFforums review, instead: In terms of specifications, the GT50 certainly seems to mirror the reference VT50 quite closely. It includes the same new G15 NeoPlasma Panel, 2,500Hz Focused Field Drive, dual core processor and 24,576 shades of gradation as per the VT50. It also has the same comprehensive set of calibration controls, 3D capability, THX certification and an impressive array of connections, all wrapped up in an attractive design. What's missing? Well the VT50 has the Infinite Black Ultra filter which might give it the edge in terms of black levels and of course it includes the single sheet of glass design. Otherwise the only differences are that the GT50 doesn't come with any 3D glasses or the touch pad remote but that's no great loss. So on paper the GT50 appears to offer the promise of first class performance, assuming you can get hold of one of course, but let's see how it does in reality.

post #828 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I've been using Mezzmo with great luck.
post #829 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
Quote:

I'd like to see something more substantial/reliable on what modes it is or isn't present in. I find it hard to believe that it's limited to one mode but can believe that it may be excluded from standard mode. But then I'm not an engineer either.

I agree.
post #830 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Regarding GT50 vs VT50 - I read the VT50 has the 96hz feature whereas the GT50 is limited to 48hz or 60hz with 2:3 pulldown.

If they are both the same "G15 NeoPlasma Panel" I'm curious why the GT50 can't do 96hz, as I would imagine refresh rate being a feature of the panel itself rather than any software or hardware. Is it something we could hack in using a firmware update?
post #831 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks for that, very helpful. Anything ~ an inch or less sounds ideal and I imagine it looks sharp on your wall.

Are you using the digital optical or ethernet connections on the back? I wonder if they would protrude more than the right angle power cord plug?

Personal opinion: this is a plasma and plasmas get warm. I'd want more airflow, not less.
Also, there is a rear-facing speaker on these units. Mounting it that close to the wall kinda defeats the purpose.
post #832 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM

I tried the 2D-3D conversion out today, looks pretty good. My question is, how do get the Left/Right option under the 3d menu to become available for me to change? I'm left eye dominant and it will make me dizzy unless I can change it.

post #833 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used the tilting brackets for my 37 inch LCD. It left about 3 inches between TV and wall. I'm planning on using a similar bracket for the 65 inch plasma. That allowed me room to fish some wires through the wall without having to remove the TV first, and allows room for cooling.

Also, I'm mounting 3 speakers above the TV and 3 below, so a flat against the wall mounting wouldn't make any visual difference.
post #834 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

I'd want more airflow, not less.
Also, there is a rear-facing speaker on these units. Mounting it that close to the wall kinda defeats the purpose.

I won't be using the in TV speakers but your point (thanks) reminds me that no matter what I do with the panel I still have to contend with my centre channel speaker and it isn't tiny so my concern over panel distance from the wall isn't justified although I'd still like a trim look.

Perhaps convective currents behind (like a chimney) might provide decent airflow anyway... whatever I end up doing, I'll keep an eye on temperatures back there and if I have to, will mount it out further.
post #835 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
What a wonderful world Panasonic owners live in.

The folks, who want the best when watching movies, Blu-ray or DVD, during evening hours, and are not critical about what they watch during daylight hours, can buy the ST50 series of displays. These same lucky folks may also have no interest in using Internet connectivity as part of their entertainment options. For a much reduced price they can enjoy picture quality that is so close to the higher end models that it might take a professional calibrator to notice the difference.

If people are very interested in adding Internet material in their home entertainment, they can probably get much improved performance by moving up to the GT50 line. At the same time they can probably improve their day time viewing quality, and for many, they get an improved appearance with a more attractive bezel.

If someone is very much into the appearance of any large black device that they put into their home, and they also want the very best in black levels, they can move up to the VT50.

To top it off, anyone who wants the very best industry standards performance from any of Panasonic's "50" series displays, they can engage the services of one of the excellent professional calibrators that are active here at AVS. (See the links in the signature area at the bottom of my post.)

If I've missed some critical characteristic of the ST, GT, or VT series displays that you think is critical, I apologize. Enjoy.
post #836 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Perhaps convective currents behind (like a chimney) might provide decent airflow anyway... whatever I end up doing, I'll keep an eye on temperatures back there and if I have to, will mount it out further.

Even though it's true that heat kills, and Panasonic is looking to protect their displays from heat damage, you will probably be alright. If you want to mount your display totally flush against the wall, like a bathroom mirror, then you might shorten the display's life span, but I have no idea if that would cause trouble within the normal time that you keep the same display.
post #837 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 592
[quote=kevin_mahaney;21980945]
Quote:

Bingo

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #838 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The folks, who want the best when watching movies, Blu-ray or DVD, during evening hours, and are not critical about what they watch during daylight hours, can buy the ST50 series of displays. These same lucky folks may also have no interest in using Internet connectivity as part of their entertainment options. For a much reduced price they can enjoy picture quality that is so close to the higher end models that it might take a professional calibrator to notice the difference.

If people are very interested in adding Internet material in their home entertainment, they can probably get much improved performance by moving up to the GT50 line. At the same time they can probably improve their day time viewing quality, and for many, they get an improved appearance with a more attractive bezel.

If someone is very much into the appearance of any large black device that they put into their home, and they also want the very best in black levels, they can move up to the VT50.

To top it off, anyone who wants the very best industry standards performance from any of Panasonic's "50" series displays, they can engage the services of one of the excellent professional calibrators that are active here at AVS. (See the links in the signature area at the bottom of my post.)

If I've missed some critical characteristic of the ST, GT, or VT series displays that you think is critical, I apologize. Enjoy.

Perfect.
post #839 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

???

The ST50 has no problem at all with internet connectivity. The performance of the most popular built-in streaming apps is more than acceptable. No need to move up to a GT50 just to stream Netflix.
post #840 of 9846 Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

For sure if I had the extra money I would have gone with the GT50. But that was not possible for me. I just think that in most areas, from everything I have read, the image quality is very close if not identical to most people. I can see the dual-processor being important for those who use the apps often.

Exactly and of course PQ will be play an important role in buying a TV, at least for the folks in this forum. For the rest of the world, larger screens, bigger sound, bigger bezels with huge speaker grills (hint...Vizio) will take precedence first.
As I mentioned, although I'm not exactly crazy about the ST50's design bezel it's still a very fine TV in regards to PQ and honestly there's nothing in the Samsung Plasma world that comes close to it for the price and overall value. Honestly I think every model in the 2012 Panasonic line is a better bang for the buck over this year's Samsung stuff. This was my first HDTV purchase and I spend over 6 weeks researching and sadly ended up returning 3 TV's until I ended up with my GT50 that was delivered yesterday.

Quote:

I don't believe Chad ever made any statement about prefering one over the other.

Actually in my post you quoted I only mentioned D-Nice. I had read somewhere here more than once that those were D-Nice's words only.

Quote:

Congrats!! I got mine yesterday too. I love it. I do hear the buzzing that people have been mentioning. It's really nothing close to what people have said here. I was expecting an annoying noise that would overtake my movie watching. I have to go up close to the TV and it has to be on a white screen to hear it. The fact that it seems to be the norm for a Plasma to buzz I'm not worrying about it. Everything else is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

This question can only be answered by the buyer at hand

The GT50 adds these features below:

24,576 Equivalent Steps of Gradation
1,080p Pure Direct
4 HDMI Terminals
3 USB Terminals
PC Input Terminal
Pure Image Creation
Vivid Color Creation
THX® 3D Certified Display
Multitasking
Stylish Metal Frame

One more "feature" you forgot, the Dual Core Processor.

Quote:

There are personal reasons for buying that often must take precedence over the opinion of a professional. There is no need to knock anyone's decision, if there were then, IMO, that mess should be taken to the VT thread.

Yes and that's exactly my point all along. We are all humans with different perception of what's pleasing to our eyes so I'm only recommending that people try to take the pro's advice as an extra benefit rather than the law. I've read some posts here that said D-Nice's settings made the picture look too dark for their taste.
Now for me, in terms of calibration, running slides and special settings I'm not going to put myself through all of that. I'm not a videophile, I just go by what looks good to "me". I will however after a decent amount of break-in time use D-Nice or Cnet's settings in the Custom mode just to see the outcome.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page