Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 9828 Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

My panel is a little over 2 weeks old and I toggle between THX Cinema, THX Brightroon, and custom. I have had no issues with those settings...ir or anything else. Just make sure you mix your content up for the 1st 100 or 150 hours and try to keep it full screen. That's easy for a channel flipper like me.

I watched "Samsara" on BD the other night (zoomed of course), and it looked awesome on my GT50. I highly recommend this BD to show off anyone's display.

Why would you zoom a bluray? There is absolutely no need for that, black bars will not do any harm to the tv.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 9828 Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

I watched "Samsara" on BD the other night (zoomed of course), and it looked awesome on my GT50. I highly recommend this BD to show off anyone's display.
I hope you watch it again in it's intended aspect ratio after you have some hours on your new TV. As long as you watch full screen TV a good percentage of the time, there is nothing to worry about from black bars either on the sides or top and bottom. After your TV has aged a bit, I would have a hard time coming up with a valid reason to zoom any source unless you are spending a lot of time on a channel with a vivid fixed image logo.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #8643 of 9828 Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

It worked!!! Yippee . Thanks again!

Good to hear you got it working Mac. Glad my post helped. Have fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Why would you zoom a bluray? There is absolutely no need for that, black bars will not do any harm to the tv.

Normally I would never zoom any content. My GT50 is only 2 weeks old with about 50 hours on it so I prefer to keep everything full screen for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I hope you watch it again in it's intended aspect ratio after you have some hours on your new TV. As long as you watch full screen TV a good percentage of the time, there is nothing to worry about from black bars either on the sides or top and bottom. After your TV has aged a bit, I would have a hard time coming up with a valid reason to zoom any source unless you are spending a lot of time on a channel with a vivid fixed image logo.

Enjoy. smile.gif

Yes indeed htwaits. You can be sure I will be watching in it's intended aspect ratio. Sooner rather than later with what I saw the other night. Here is a quote from a review at Blue-Ray.com about Samsara.

"This is your new high definition demo disc. It's as simple as that. Shot in 70mm, scanned at 8K, and mastered at 4K, Samsara outdoes even Baraka—it's spiritual and technological predecessor—with a 1080p/AVC-encoded Blu- ray presentation that's start-to-finish gorgeous. The screenshots really do speak for themselves; for clarity and color and sheer jaw-drop factor, this transfer is unparalleled, even among other 70mm productions."
post #8644 of 9828 Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Liked: 16
So, would just keeping it on Apple TV's screensaver (when not in use of course) be the best way to break it in? Will I be ok running it for 4 days straight or should I break it up?
post #8645 of 9828 Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

So, would just keeping it on Apple TV's screensaver (when not in use of course) be the best way to break it in? Will I be ok running it for 4 days straight or should I break it up?
If your screen saver is constantly moving, that wouldn't age the pixals as effectively as a Pixar 1.78:1 movie running in repeat mode, or a HDTV channel that's free of logos or other fixed images and is on 24/7. You can run your TV 24/ 7 if you make sure the source you are playing wont lock up and become a fixed image.
post #8646 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:

If your screen saver is constantly moving, that wouldn't age the pixals as effectively as a Pixar 1.78:1 movie running in repeat mode, or a HDTV channel that's free of logos or other fixed images and is on 24/7. You can run your TV 24/ 7 if you make sure the source you are playing wont lock up and become a fixed image.
Thanks for the info.
post #8647 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just set up my GT50 60" TV. Perfect size i could have even gone up to 65". LOL One thing though when i change channels it does a weird thing like a page from a book being peeled away. I know it sounds strange. LOL
post #8648 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

Just set up my GT50 60" TV. Perfect size i could have even gone up to 65". LOL One thing though when i change channels it does a weird thing like a page from a book being peeled away. I know it sounds strange. LOL

What is your source for channels?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #8649 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

That sounds like the "Channel Transition Effect" that is available when using the TV's internal tuner. It can be turned On or Off in the Advance Setup menu.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8650 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Okay. It doesn't really bother me just is a strange effect. Man i love the size of this TV.
post #8651 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #8652 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

I did have to eat crow with the girlfriend for criticizing her purchases of Disney movies though.
post #8653 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I did have to eat crow with the girlfriend for criticizing her purchases of Disney movies though.
It's alright to enjoy Pixar movies. Point out to her that Pixar took over Disney while Steve Jobs was still with us.
post #8654 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 21
For those interested in the 2013 Panny 3D glasses follow the link below to page 9. Pictures are included, and it looks as if no more USB, switched to changeable batteries.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409490/panasonic-2012-compatible-3d-glasses-thread/240#post_23185171
post #8655 of 9828 Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:

It's alright to enjoy Pixar movies. Point out to her that Pixar took over Disney while Steve Jobs was still with us.
Lets be clear, she bought Dumbo and Bambi, not Toy Story.
post #8656 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Lets be clear, she bought Dumbo and Bambi, not Toy Story.
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #8657 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Black bars can leave IR and can burn-in.
post #8658 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM

I agree black bars can leave IR but burn in you really have to abuse the heck out of it really.
post #8659 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Not from my experience, I watched bluray movies with black bars since the day I brought it home and didn't experience any IR at all. I can't comment on 4:3 material because I never watch it but if people want to be over anal about it, that's fine. If you vary your content for the first 100 hrs in custom/cinema/THX setting, you shouldn't have any Problems unless you abuse it in Vivid mode. People have to remember that some panels are more prone to IR than others. Don't ask me why but that is what has been concluded from owners. That goes the same for buzzin some have it louder, most don't.

post #8660 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Not from my experience, I watched bluray movies with black bars since the day I brought it home and didn't experience any IR at all. I can't comment on 4:3 material because I never watch it but if people want to be over anal about it, that's fine. If you vary your content for the first 100 hrs in custom/cinema/THX setting, you shouldn't have any Problems unless you abuse it in Vivid mode. People have to remember that some panels are more prone to IR than others. Don't ask me why but that is what has been concluded from owners. That goes the same for buzzin some have it louder, most don't.

The kind of IR that the 2012 sets are prone to is caused by extremely bright static elements, so black bars shouldn't be a problem. Unless you watch incredibly bright content with black bars, like hockey in 4:3 (??). In theory use of black bars constantly can unevenly wear the panel, but we're talking about a lot of hours. If you only use your TV to watch movies with black bars, for example, you'll eventually have uneven wear (though you probably won't care if you never watch anything full screen anyway). The thing to watch out for is a bright white static logo, like that horrible discovery channel logo that seems to get bigger every year or the [adult swim] text, both of which seem to be 100% opacity. News tickers can be pretty bad too.
post #8661 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

The kind of IR that the 2012 sets are prone to is caused by extremely bright static elements, so black bars shouldn't be a problem. Unless you watch incredibly bright content with black bars, like hockey in 4:3 (??). In theory use of black bars constantly can unevenly wear the panel, but we're talking about a lot of hours. If you only use your TV to watch movies with black bars, for example, you'll eventually have uneven wear (though you probably won't care if you never watch anything full screen anyway). The thing to watch out for is a bright white static logo, like that horrible discovery channel logo that seems to get bigger every year or the [adult swim] text, both of which seem to be 100% opacity. News tickers can be pretty bad too.

I just replaced my ailing Pioneer Elite 1110HD that I had for over 10 years with a 60" GT50 which I'm loving, BTW. It was slowing turning a nice shade of blue and the overall picture wasn't looking too hot either. However in all that time with a lot of cable TV watching and movie watching and even game playing, I never encountered any lasting IR problems. Sure, if I was watching something for a while with a static element then I'd see a little IR when switching to something else, but it was never lasting.

So are saying that the new Panasonic sets have issues with IR that a set 10 years older never had? Or is it maybe because I had it calibrated and maintained it that I didn't have issues? I'll be having this one calibrated as well and will maintain it, but I certainly wasn't planning on changing my viewing habits since I didn't have issues before.

Thoughts?
post #8662 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Quote:

As has been pointed out several times, black bars shouldn't be a concern unless they are always present. If you watch nothing but 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies the top and bottom of the screen would not be aged while the center of the screen would age. So it's possible, with a lot of effort, to create a screen that's brighter top and bottom with full screen sources. With any kind of rational mix of sources, black bars are no threat to a plasma display.

Zooming perfectly wonderful Blu-ray content, to avoid black bars, may have health risks we haven't even heard of yet. eek.gifwink.gif
sheshechic likes this.
post #8663 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Zooming perfectly wonderful Blu-ray content, to avoid black bars, may have health risks we haven't even heard of yet. eek.gifwink.gif

LOL! Everthing else has health risks so we definitely cant rule out "Zooming." biggrin.gif
sheshechic likes this.

Love DIY
post #8664 of 9828 Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post

I just replaced my ailing Pioneer Elite 1110HD that I had for over 10 years with a 60" GT50 which I'm loving, BTW. It was slowing turning a nice shade of blue and the overall picture wasn't looking too hot either. However in all that time with a lot of cable TV watching and movie watching and even game playing, I never encountered any lasting IR problems. Sure, if I was watching something for a while with a static element then I'd see a little IR when switching to something else, but it was never lasting.

So are saying that the new Panasonic sets have issues with IR that a set 10 years older never had? Or is it maybe because I had it calibrated and maintained it that I didn't have issues? I'll be having this one calibrated as well and will maintain it, but I certainly wasn't planning on changing my viewing habits since I didn't have issues before.

Thoughts?

Your old Pioneer happens to be an exception in terms of IR performance of that era, I believe. My 5080 is also IR-proof; I've abused it specifically to test for it and never managed to create long-duration IR (which is a dark after-image on a neutral background, not the bright after-image that fades quickly). The 2012 Panasonics definitely have worse IR performance than the old Pioneers. It's also worse than the 2011 Panasonics and the (>60") 2012 Samsungs. In most normal watching situations (not spending too much time with bright static images) you may never have to worry about it. On the other hand if you end up spending a lot of time with a bright static HUD element or frequent a channel that has a bright logo or other static content you may eventually start to notice the inverse ghost of those elements. A lot of people will get very defensive in response to this kind of statement, but I've tested 4 distinct 2012 Panasonics and found the same results (2ST50's, 1 GT50, 1 VT50). That's a large enough sample for me to conclude that it's unlikely to be a rare panel defect. I use a contrast of 70 for these tests, which is actually dimmer than most professional calibration results I've seen.

How much it impacts you will largely depend on how the TV gets used. If it's fed a relatively varied stream of content types on a regular basis it'll probably never become a real issue. And as I said before, black bars are one thing you really don't need to worry about significantly. My GT50 is definitely an upgrade over my 5080 in most ways, but the IR performance means I'll be looking to replace it as the display I use for PC gaming (it'll probably take over as a living room TV, since at least there I know it'll get a more dynamic usage pattern... no one in the house spends a lot of time on news channels or ESPN or anything like that).
post #8665 of 9828 Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM

I've just ordered a 42" GT50 after returning a 42" ST50 due to me being able to see flicker. Basically anything with a bright screen that was recieved via aerial (UK 50hz signal) flickered like mad. I tried the GT50 in the shop and although I could see flicker to begin with, I could EQ it out by returning the TV to normal contrast levels. It was cranked.

My only worry is that I'll keep looking for the flicker! I've read a few reviews of the GT60 and haven't seen anywhere that this has been improved. So I'm taking the plunge on the GT50. Though I keep asking myself is the GT60 worth the extra 50%?
post #8666 of 9828 Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

Your old Pioneer happens to be an exception in terms of IR performance of that era, I believe. My 5080 is also IR-proof; I've abused it specifically to test for it and never managed to create long-duration IR (which is a dark after-image on a neutral background, not the bright after-image that fades quickly). The 2012 Panasonics definitely have worse IR performance than the old Pioneers. It's also worse than the 2011 Panasonics and the (>60") 2012 Samsungs. In most normal watching situations (not spending too much time with bright static images) you may never have to worry about it. On the other hand if you end up spending a lot of time with a bright static HUD element or frequent a channel that has a bright logo or other static content you may eventually start to notice the inverse ghost of those elements. A lot of people will get very defensive in response to this kind of statement, but I've tested 4 distinct 2012 Panasonics and found the same results (2ST50's, 1 GT50, 1 VT50). That's a large enough sample for me to conclude that it's unlikely to be a rare panel defect. I use a contrast of 70 for these tests, which is actually dimmer than most professional calibration results I've seen.

How much it impacts you will largely depend on how the TV gets used. If it's fed a relatively varied stream of content types on a regular basis it'll probably never become a real issue. And as I said before, black bars are one thing you really don't need to worry about significantly. My GT50 is definitely an upgrade over my 5080 in most ways, but the IR performance means I'll be looking to replace it as the display I use for PC gaming (it'll probably take over as a living room TV, since at least there I know it'll get a more dynamic usage pattern... no one in the house spends a lot of time on news channels or ESPN or anything like that).

Well darn... And here I was thinking things got better with technology, not worse! But heck, I spent a small fortune on that Pioneer and only a fraction of that on the Panasonic, so I can't complain... much.

Still, I'm very impressed with the set thus far. Just waiting on breaking it in to get it calibrated and really enjoying it. I will certainly be a bit more cautious with my viewing habits, though. Thanks for all the info and a good heads up.
post #8667 of 9828 Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by inogen View Post

I've just ordered a 42" GT50 after returning a 42" ST50 due to me being able to see flicker. Basically anything with a bright screen that was recieved via aerial (UK 50hz signal) flickered like mad. I tried the GT50 in the shop and although I could see flicker to begin with, I could EQ it out by returning the TV to normal contrast levels. It was cranked.

My only worry is that I'll keep looking for the flicker! I've read a few reviews of the GT60 and haven't seen anywhere that this has been improved. So I'm taking the plunge on the GT50. Though I keep asking myself is the GT60 worth the extra 50%?

Here in the US, our sets run at 60 Hz but even so, flicker on bright screens can be seen by some people but not by everyone. For those that can see it, it can range from a minor distraction that eventually you learn to ignore ( that's me) or a horrible visual brain buster that can make some people physically ill. If its a minor effect for you initially you will probably not notice it all after a month or two. If its a fairly significant distraction now, you are probably not going to be happy with the set, EVER.

The US models of the ST and GT both run with the same refresh rate, but I think the VT has a faster rate that would be easier to view if you are overly flicker sensitive. You will need to verify the specs for the Euro models.

Turning down the brightness to get less flicker is not the way to go. You really need the brightness / contrast of the set dialed in to a level that makes a bright, contrasty, saturated image. If you need to dial it down too far the PQ is going to suffer.
post #8668 of 9828 Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post

Well darn... And here I was thinking things got better with technology, not worse! But heck, I spent a small fortune on that Pioneer and only a fraction of that on the Panasonic, so I can't complain... much.

Still, I'm very impressed with the set thus far. Just waiting on breaking it in to get it calibrated and really enjoying it. I will certainly be a bit more cautious with my viewing habits, though. Thanks for all the info and a good heads up.

Some aspects of plasma TV's (as a whole) certainly have improved over the years but Pioneer was probably a decade ahead of the rest of the industry in the "basic" panel engineering. The rest of the pack has been playing catch-up for years. It's a shame Pioneer left the industry. I was directly involved with the production of the dye used in the blue filter in those sets. It was a pretty big loss / surprise when they pulled the plug. But at least I don't have to work 6 days a week any more wink.gif
post #8669 of 9828 Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 22
A question for when other owners of the GT50 turn off their TV. Does it take about 3 or 4 seconds for the relay to click off even though the picture on the TV goes blank immediately? Also, when turning the TV on, does your input select screen pop up for a few seconds? This annoys me.
post #8670 of 9828 Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

A question for when other owners of the GT50 turn off their TV. Does it take about 3 or 4 seconds for the relay to click off even though the picture on the TV goes blank immediately? Also, when turning the TV on, does your input select screen pop up for a few seconds? This annoys me.

Yes, yes, & I agree.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page