Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I just wanted to confirm since people often ask about the flipper, and since I've not had IR... I've recommended it in the past and will now feel even even better about doing so in the future.
For a plasma owner the WOW disc is invaluable tool for novice videophiles. It is a good tool to help understanding the benefits of pro calibration and getting the most out of your home theater set-up. The pixel flipper has been used on numerous occasions by friends who have bought it after my recommendation and they love it. I haven't had the time to try the Spear&Munsil disc yet, but I hear it is more advanced in tools and language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
I also have the WOW disc and found it quite helpful. It also has an audio section that is helpful for setting up and diagnosing your surround system. And I think the pixel flipper works better than the Panasonic scrolling bar.
sheshechic likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

Mine did something similar, but my buzzing is very sporadic. It shows up every once in a while on bright scenes, but not consistently. I kept, since it wasn't too bad and I dreaded switching my TVs again and boxing it back up.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my earler post on the issue of buzzing from my 60GT50 smile.gif. After much thought I've decided to not return the 60GT50 as it is just such a hassle to go through. I would have to have a friend help me remove the panel, pack it up, reinstall my old 50" Panasonic (with a different wall mount), drive to the local Best Buy to return it (with a borrowed pick-up). Then repeat the process all over again when the 60ST60 becomes available. So my thoughts mirror met_fan's in that it just isn't worth it. Just too many things that could go wrong specifically the 60GT50 getting damaged in the whole process.

I sat here this morning watching ESPN and could not hear any buzzing on bright scenes unless the volume was muted. If the buzzing becomes worse or it bothers me too much I'll call BB to have a Tech come out to look at it. If the buzzing gets worse or BB can not fix the problem then I would think I would have the option to have the 60GT50 replaced. I haven't followed the Panasonic buzzing issues threads but have any owners had success with getting the issue resolved?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Yes. Some have. Various fixes include replacing or tightening screws, replacing power boards and/or replacing other electronic boards.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

Good to hear, I always questioned the real-world benefits of sticking a SSD into a PS3. Now I have another project/expense.
I have have the digital download version of Mass effect 1 and the load times are right about 10-15 seconds vs 60-120 with standard HDD and I have seen only one instance of momentary pop-in while playing for around 3 hours.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I have have the digital download version of Mass effect 1 and the load times are right about 10-15 seconds vs 60-120 with standard HDD and I have seen only one instance of momentary pop-in while playing for around 3 hours.
Darn, upgraded all my HDD's 3-4 years ago when SSD's first dropped and were prohibitively expensive. I think I'm 500 in the laptop and the PS3, with a MyBook 2TB and a 320 in an external. WTH am I supposed to do with the PS3's drive?

Side note, I have noticed the Fallout 3 runs clean as a whistle with the Denon and the GT handling some of the graphic load. Very few burps and 0 lock-ups. I have seen that game run PS3's on inferior set-ups into the ground.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

Darn, upgraded all my HDD's 3-4 years ago when SSD's first dropped and were prohibitively expensive. I think I'm 500 in the laptop and the PS3, with a MyBook 2TB and a 320 in an external. WTH am I supposed to do with the PS3's drive?

Side note, I have noticed the Fallout 3 runs clean as a whistle with the Denon and the GT handling some of the graphic load. Very few burps and 0 lock-ups. I have seen that game run PS3's on inferior set-ups into the ground.

I am hoping the next gen systems will be running at silky smooth 60fps and glorious 1080p. If that becomes a reality then us plasma owners will be able to show our LCD buddies what gaming should be like.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 873
So Best Buy is swapping out my Samsung pn60e7000 for a Panasonic 60GT50. Will be recieving it next week.

Anyone go from the Sammy to this TV and if yes, any major differences you noticed?

Also, where is D-Nice's setup thread for breakin and calibration? I saw threads for 2013 models as well as 2011 but none for 2012?

If I am going to watch TV in the first 100 hours while using slides when not watching, if I keep the TV in THX Cinema mode should I be good or should I still be lowering levels then what is defaulted in that while watching the TV?

Thanks for the input and help guys!

Edit.....So I see that I need to go to high def junkies for D-Nice settings but when I goto register the human verication is not working. Same goes when I try to contact them, cannot get past the human verification because of the error. Can someone who is a member there see if you can let them know about this issue?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
1. Take tv out of box.

2. Place tv on wall or table.

3. Hook up components to tv.

4. Turn tv on. Chose settings.

5.. Watch tv.

5. Turn off tv when done

6. Repeat steps 5 & 6

Done!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Also. You should ask best buy to give you an ST60. I don't understand why they'd give you an older model set over the new one. Also the ST60 is better then this GT in everyday possible.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Also. You should ask best buy to give you an ST60. I don't understand why they'd give you an older model set over the new one. Also the ST60 is better then this GT in everyday possible.
I am not going to push my luck with anything. I paid $889 a floor model Samsung pn60e7000 a few weeks ago. I added an extended warranty on it. Got the TV home and it had burn in. They were going to swap out the panel through the extended warranty but can't get it in their 14 day time frame so they are deeming it un-repairable so I needed to swap for something else. The manager at Best Buy has been amazing and for $100 more I am getting a new in box 60GT50. So I am paying $989 for this TV. If I actually paid regular price for the first TV I might have pushed for the ST but in my situation I wasn't pushing my luck as my luck was pushed to the fullest already.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Also the ST60 is better then this GT in everyday possible.

I keep hearing others say that the ST60 is better in everyway than the GT50. But I haven't seen anyone say that the differences are clearly seen with normal viewing. I thought the input lag was worse with the ST60 so that indicates that the ST60s are not better in everyway wink.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I am not going to push my luck with anything. I paid $889 a floor model Samsung pn60e7000 a few weeks ago. I added an extended warranty on it. Got the TV home and it had burn in. They were going to swap out the panel through the extended warranty but can't get it in their 14 day time frame so they are deeming it un-repairable so I needed to swap for something else. The manager at Best Buy has been amazing and for $100 more I am getting a new in box 60GT50. So I am paying $989 for this TV. If I actually paid regular price for the first TV I might have pushed for the ST but in my situation I wasn't pushing my luck as my luck was pushed to the fullest already.

Eric,

You got a smokin' deal smile.gif. So I don't blame you for not pushing your luck. I have the 60GT50 and it is an excellent plasma.

Bill

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

So Best Buy is swapping out my Samsung elk lighting danica for a Panasonic 60GT50. Will be recieving it next week.

Anyone go from the Sammy to this TV and if yes, any major differences you noticed?

Also, where is D-Nice's setup thread for breakin and calibration? I saw threads for 2013 models as well as 2011 but none for 2012?

If I am going to watch TV in the first 100 hours while using slides when not watching, if I keep the TV in THX Cinema mode should I be good or should I still be lowering levels then what is defaulted in that while watching the TV?

Thanks for the input and help guys!

Edit.....So I see that I need to go to high def junkies for D-Nice settings but when I goto register the human verication is not working. Same goes when I try to contact them, cannot get past the human verification because of the error. Can someone who is a member there see if you can let them know about this issue?

Use the search box above to look for comments by those who previously owned a Samsung. Depending on what was wrong with your Sammy, you may or may not be happy. I think you're probably going to have at least one thing that won't please you. Why aren't they giving you a new Samsung?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

That is an unbelievable deal for a brand new 60GT50! eek.gif
sheshechic likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I keep hearing others say that the ST60 is better in everyway than the GT50. But I haven't seen anyone say that the differences are clearly seen with normal viewing. I thought the input lag was worse with the ST60 so that indicates that the ST60s are not better in everyway wink.gif.

Bill
I agree. Everything I have read so far makes it sound like there are more things similiar then different between these 2 sets. Still doesn't make a difference in my situation though in what I will be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Eric,

You got a smokin' deal smile.gif. So I don't blame you for not pushing your luck. I have the 60GT50 and it is an excellent plasma.

Bill
I am looking forward to this TV although I didn't have any complaints about the Sammy either. It had a great picture.

Quote:

Use the search box above to look for comments by those who previously owned a Samsung. Depending on what was wrong with your Sammy, you may or may not be happy. I think you're probably going to have at least one thing that won't please you. Why aren't they giving you a new Samsung?
I haven't found a way to search through a specific thread as opposed to the entire section like on other sites I use. Am I just missing it?

If they had another Samsung e7000 they would have but they didn't have any left. Again, my situation was quite different because of the initial price I paid.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, it seems that the xxGT50's built-in Netflix app does not support "Super HD". While my Roku and PS3 show "1080 Super HD", the highest picture quality on my TV is "1080 HD". Too bad.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwire View Post

Well, it seems that the xxGT50's built-in Netflix app does not support "Super HD". While my Roku and PS3 show "1080 Super HD", the highest picture quality on my TV is "1080 HD". Too bad.

I haven't checked but I only use my PS3 for Netflix anyways, you get total control of settings that way.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Not being a Netflix person, I have no idea what this means frown.gif Out of curiosity what does Netflix 1080 HD vs Super HD actually get ya'
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Not being a Netflix person, I have no idea what this means frown.gif Out of curiosity what does Netflix 1080 HD vs Super HD actually get ya'

Nothing. Literally nothing... There isn't a single piece of proof showing you actually get better quality. Seems to be more of a market gimmick then anything else.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not much difference Netflix 1080i vs Netflix 1080p. But it is streamed so not true 1080p.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

... Samsung pn60e7000 ... had burn in. ....

Wholly cats !! ! I heard it was impossible to get IR and ludicrous to ever think BURN IN was remotely possible on 2012 Samsung plasmas smile.gif

Although I have never seen these sets side by side, it has been mentioned that the picture on the 2012 Panasonics is "softer" on content below 1080p whereas the black level is darker. So, you may be smile.gif Or frown.gif with the exchange.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wholly cats !! ! I heard it was impossible to get IR and ludicrous to ever think BURN IN was remotely possible on 2012 Samsung plasmas smile.gif

Although I have never seen these sets side by side, it has been mentioned that the picture on the 2012 Panasonics is "softer" on content below 1080p whereas the black level is darker. So, you may be smile.gif Or frown.gif with the exchange.

Hope it works out for you.
Lol, it was a floor model for a year which I found out after I bought it.

Basically you could see they ran this thing with wide screen movies the whole time as the middle of the panel is another color and there are dark lines where the black bars go.

Would it go away after months, who knows but I wasn't willing to find out. Lol

I do like a sharper picture which I have heard Samsung's are the better offer here but I am sure I will be happy. I do like dark blacks which hopefully should offer better contrast as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Quote:

... Samsung pn60e7000 ... had burn in. ....

It all depends on how you use a plasma display -- any plasma display. All it takes is enough time with the same fixed image on the screen and you will achive "burn=in". Short of that amount of time, you've only achieved "IR-in". biggrin.gif
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:

I haven't found a way to search through a specific thread as opposed to the entire section like on other sites I use. Am I just missing it?

If they had another Samsung e7000 they would have but they didn't have any left. Again, my situation was quite different because of the initial price I paid.

You really did get a great deal. I love mine. Those who have had Sammys tend to see the picture as being softer, not as crisp (?). I have heard that Samsungs also handle motion better. You may not have the same reaction to the tv. I look forward to your impressions after you've had a chance to check her out.

BTW, the "search this thread" option is just under the thread title at the top, and at the bottom as well (between "preferences" and "subscribed").

Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You really did get a great deal. I love mine. Those who have had Sammys tend to see the picture as being softer, not as crisp (?). I have heard that Samsungs also handle motion better. You may not have the same reaction to the tv. I look forward to your impressions after you've had a chance to check her out.

BTW, the "search this thread" option is just under the thread title at the top, and at the bottom as well (between "preferences" and "subscribed").
Ah, now I see it. I have been looking for an actual search box this whole time. Thanks!

I do love the Sammy picture. It is definitely crisp. I hope the Panny isn't that much softer. In the store they were playing the Avengers and I thought it looked pretty amazing. I didn't think motion was an issue with any of these Plasma's although I started out with LED TV's with 240Hz tru-motion and thought it was fine. Can't imagine any of these plasma´s would be any worse then that.

TV is suppose to be delivered on Monday...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 16
There's not any issue with 1080p content and motion on this TV. I have been really putting it through the paces with heavy special effects, intense fighting, the NBA and I haven't even made it blink. THX Bright setting is heavy on black, so I would adjust that. Note that I am still breaking it in, so we'll see if that changes.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I have never seen "1080 Super HD" displayed on the Netflix information pop up window on my PS3, only "1080 HD". Can I ask what movies or content have this "Super HD" picture quality? btw, my Netflix app on the GT50 looks almost identical to my PS3's, and it works well.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

I have never seen "1080 Super HD" displayed on the Netflix information pop up window on my PS3, only "1080 HD". Can I ask what movies or content have this "Super HD" picture quality? btw, my Netflix app on the GT50 looks almost identical to my PS3's, and it works well.
Your internet service provider has to support it as well. They need to be signed up through Netflix. They also offer 3d videos.

I have Time Warner and they do not offer it yet.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

If you aren't seeing it at all, it probably indicates that your ISP is not a member of Netflix's Open Connect CDN.

In terms of the difference between "1080 HD" and "1080 Super HD", I see a lot of skeptics here that say it makes no difference. I disagree. For me, "1080 Super HD" has fewer compression artifacts, particularly in scenes with a lot of detail and motion.

I'm also disappointed that the xxGT50, being a 3D-capable TV, does not support 3D in the built-in Netflix app either.

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv