Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8821 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Here is a little extra detail. ABC, Fox, and ESPN are the broadcasters that selected 720p as their HDTV resolution. As far as I know, all the other broadcasters selected 1080i as their resolution. (Maybe there are a few exceptions that I don't know about. eek.gif)

The cable box or the satellite box can be set to change those resolutions.Right now DirecTV is claiming that they are supplying 1080p, My guess is that they are using marketing speak and it's their box that's doing a conversion. At various times I've set my Comcast box to output everything in 720p, at other times I've had it output everything in 1080i. Right now I have it set to output the original native resolutions for each channel -- 720p, 1080i, and 480i. Our Kuro is doing all the conversion to 1080p for TV with this setup.

Direct TV boxes have the ability to set the output of video to native. Then you can go in & check all the resolutions that you monitor supports & it sends the signal to your tv & lets it handle processing/scaling.
As far as 1080p goes, it's limited to VOD only.
That's what I expect almost any satellite or cable box to do.

If they are providing 1080p via VOD, their sales reps, that hang out at BB, in our area are putting out false information. At least it's obscured information. They also claimed that Comcast was transmitting everything in 720p to their boxes. That's certainly not the case for Comcast in the San Francisco Bay Area. Is DirecTV's VOD a streaming service via the Internet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

So when this TV gets professional calibrated do they have access to more advanced calibration settings then what is available to the user or they pretty much just tweak the user settings which does not have as many options as other TVs in it's class.
Any professional calibration performed by someone who's active here at AVS is not a tweak. A tweak is what you might do with your remote. If you want to learn more about what goes into a calibration go the the Display Calibration forum.

You are right that some displays do not have controls that would make a quality professional calibration worthwhile. The GT50 displays can be and have been calibrated with good results. See the "Reports" link in the signature area at the bottom of my post. smile.gif
sheshechic likes this.
post #8823 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand View Post

I Thought It Was Best To Leave Native Off And Have The Receiver Only Output 1080I ?

Not necessarily best. It depends on the equipment you use. If you set it as you mentioned, then Direct TV will handle all the scaling. If you set it to native & select the format your diplay device can handle, then it will do the scaling. Depends on what you want & what looks best. I set it to native, check all the options, then send it through my Onkyo 3009 & have it scale everything, & then send it out to my tv. I find that's what looks best.
stansbrand:
Keep in mind that if your box is set to output 1080i, the only channels that will be effected are those that are sourced in 480i and 720p. The HDTV channels like CBS, PBS, and NBC that originate in 1080i will not be changed. I've taken the same approach used by cadett, except in my case the TV is handling all the conversions from 480i, 720p, and 1080i to 1080p.

My guess is that your DirecTV box is converting 720p to 1080i which is then converted to 1080p in your TV. If you sent 720p directly to your TV or to your AVR, it would be upscaled from 720p directly to 1080p. That's fewer steps and it could result in better PQ for the 720p channels.
post #8824 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks, I just shot the manager of Best Buy an email to see if I can do the ST60. Would keep bothering me if I didn't at least ask the question. My GT50 isn't suppose to be delivered till Monday so hopefully he says alright. If not, at $989 for a new in box 60GT50 or 60ST60 I can't really complain.

If your BB guy can do that price on a ST60 I would go with that....but I would be amazed if they will take a loss on a brand new released product. I can see where they would do it on the GT50 since they have to get rid of the old models anyway. Hopefully he can do it for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Also, don't get too carried away with criticism from this forum. If you followed all the complaints regarding the GT50 you would probably have the opinion that this was the worst TV ever created and the entire 2012 model line should have been recalled and destroyed. Some would tell you it was set upon the earth by demons to punish man for his wicked ways.

LOL, I totally agree and it even made me feel as if I made the wrong decision to get a GT50. But I didn't!!! My set is great without any issues to report and the PQ is fantastic. I don't watch any non HD channels anymore and all the channels Fox and the like, are sharp as can be for me. BTW my cable box shows fox and other news channels as being recieved in 1080i, where I am. Please realize that I am not a genius, guru or the anything close like some here (no disrespect intended). I just hooked everything up and now I sit back and enjoy! Some of the things you'all talk about here makes me scratch my head and say WT_ are they talking about. But I am learning! wink.gif
post #8825 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

If your BB guy can do that price on a ST60 I would go with that....but I would be amazed if they will take a loss on a brand new released product. I can see where they would do it on the GT50 since they have to get rid of the old models anyway. Hopefully he can do it for you!!!
He just emailed me back saying not a problem. Took care of everything without me being there and set it up for Monday delivery!

Seriously, if every store treated their customers like this they would be putting Amazon out of business!

Anyway, I was pretty excited for the GT50 until I started reading this thread. You guys are brutal! Hopefully I made the right choice though. I am giving up a more expensive retailing TV but hopefully getting something better that sells for less. The price point of the ST60 does have me a little nervous. Seems a little low for a top performing 60".
post #8826 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

He just emailed me back saying not a problem. Took care of everything without me being there and set it up for Monday delivery!

Seriously, if every store treated their customers like this they would be putting Amazon out of business!

Anyway, I was pretty excited for the GT50 until I started reading this thread. You guys are brutal! Hopefully I made the right choice though. I am giving up a more expensive retailing TV but hopefully getting something better that sells for less. The price point of the ST60 does have me a little nervous. Seems a little low for a top performing 60".

NICE!!! congrats to you smile.gif

You jsut ahve to learn to ignore the noise and enjoy your set. It takes some getting used to, but eventually youll be able to sift through here without worries......If I were you and I ahve seen this before, is once you get your set decide if youa re going to follow the break in method, if so do that get the settings and stay off the forum for a week or so (at least out of the thread that is dedicated to your TV. This way you can watch and enjoy the TV and report back without being worried about the issues that are getting reported. If you find somethng come back and say so, otherwise enjoy your set smile.gif
post #8827 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

NICE!!! congrats to you smile.gif

You jsut ahve to learn to ignore the noise and enjoy your set. It takes some getting used to, but eventually youll be able to sift through here without worries......If I were you and I ahve seen this before, is once you get your set decide if youa re going to follow the break in method, if so do that get the settings and stay off the forum for a week or so (at least out of the thread that is dedicated to your TV. This way you can watch and enjoy the TV and report back without being worried about the issues that are getting reported. If you find somethng come back and say so, otherwise enjoy your set smile.gif
Thanks, I am really curious how it will compare the the Samsung e7000. For what I have read so far at least the picture will be as good if not better then the GT50. Hope I didn't make a mistake by switching to a technically lower level model, but newer year.

I have a 2 1/2 year old so using the TV just for slides will not happen but I will be able to run the slides all day and through the night. So just a little TV watching through the evening. The wife has already been prepped on what she can and cannot do in the first hundred hours. I do have a 2 year BB extended warranty on the TV so at least that gives me a piece of mind for a little while when it comes to burn in.
post #8828 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 320
From reports the ST60 either matches or exceeeds the VT50 in PQ aspects smile.gif I think youll be happy.....No so sure on the cbale content as that might jsut be the way Panasonic does their processing, but for sure with a good 1080p source you should see some improvements...Overall you got a better TV for the same price so you made out....
post #8829 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

stansbrand:
Keep in mind that if your box is set to output 1080i, the only channels that will be effected are those that are sourced in 480i and 720p. The HDTV channels like CBS, PBS, and NBC that originate in 1080i will not be changed. I've taken the same approach used by cadett, except in my case the TV is handling all the conversions from 480i, 720p, and 1080i to 1080p.

My guess is that your DirecTV box is converting 720p to 1080i which is then converted to 1080p in your TV. If you sent 720p directly to your TV or to your AVR, it would be upscaled from 720p directly to 1080p. That's fewer steps and it could result in better PQ for the 720p channels.

I Am Running My Satellite Receiver Directly To My Gt50. Should I Allow My TV To Do The Scaling Or tHe Receiver?
post #8830 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Unless you plan on watching reference calibrated video delivered from reference calibrated sources, it doesn't make much difference. The calibration controls available are more than sufficient to produce great PQ.

Also, don't get too carried away with criticism from this forum. If you followed all the complaints regarding the GT50 you would probably have the opinion that this was the worst TV ever created and the entire 2012 model line should have been recalled and destroyed. Some would tell you it was set upon the earth by demons to punish man for his wicked ways.
lol

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8831 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand View Post

Quote:

stansbrand:

I Am Running My Satellite Receiver Directly To My Gt50. Should I Allow My TV To Do The Scaling Or tHe Receiver?
As cadett suggested, you can try both. If you aren't into SDTV then you TV will probably do a good job upscaling 720p to 1080p. The quality of your AVR may or may no be better.
post #8832 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

... I have a 2 1/2 year old so ... .

If you are setting this thing on a stand, you may want to look into a screen protector or a cage smile.gif
post #8833 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you are setting this thing on a stand, you may want to look into a screen protector or a cage smile.gif
A cage for the tv or the child? biggrin.gif

post #8834 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

If not, at $989 for a new in box 60GT50 or 60ST60 I can't really complain.

$989? Wow, that is beyond great price, that's a steal! I'd be wondering if that's one of their "Open Box Specials".

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Klipsch G-42 Soundbar
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
Harmony One Remote
post #8835 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post

$989? Wow, that is beyond great price, that's a steal! I'd be wondering if that's one of their "Open Box Specials".
He got a bad Samsung at BB and they are treating him righteously.

post #8836 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

He got a bad Samsung at BB and they are treating him righteously.
This^

I just picked up a thank you card and a Starbucks gift card to give to the manger for helping me out. My wife thought it was cute I was shopping for a card for him. Lol

If I didn't choose to go with the 60gt50 as the replacement first I probably would have paid $889 as my original receipt. I paid an extra $100 to go to the 60gt50 then later asked if I could switch to the 60ST60. I obviously said I didn't expect any money back even though the ST was retailing for less.

If they would have had a new e7000 to replace the one I had I would have just stuck with that.
post #8837 of 9787 Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I just picked up a thank you card and a Starbucks gift card to give to the manger for helping me out. My wife thought it was cute I was shopping for a card
That's friggin' awesome.
post #8838 of 9787 Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post

Eric did already state that he was getting a BNIB unit. I still find it amazing that you got the ST60 for the same price but good for you Eric! And way to go with the thank you's for the BB guy!
post #8839 of 9787 Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 AM

has anyone used their dreamcast via vga on their gt50?
i know my vga box works because i tested it on a monitor, but no matter what i do the pc input stays greyed out on the gt50
post #8840 of 9787 Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hand View Post

i know my vga box works because i tested it on a monitor, but no matter what i do the pc input stays greyed out on the gt50

I love the SEGA Dreamcast but I cannot answer your question. It's definitely a niche system at this point. I had so many great memories with the system and will never forget all of those hours spent on Shenmue which at the time of playing unlike anything I've seen before. I was totally into all things Japanese so having it take place in Japan in the 80s totally captivated me. Jet Grind Radio was also a game I remember fondly and loved the whole graphical style and Tokyo-like vibe in some levels.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
post #8841 of 9787 Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hand View Post

Have you tried hooking it up directly to the TV?
post #8842 of 9787 Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM

gah
lol

i must have disabled all the unused inputs when i first got the tv(including the pc input)
that's why it was greyed out.

works fine haha

edit: and if anyone is curious, the picture quality that comes out of the dreamcast via vga looks PHENOMENAL on this tv
post #8843 of 9787 Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM

Liked: 23

This is a quick update to an issue I posted weeks ago about using bluetooth headphones paired with the GT50 and

how my Wii remotes would freak out when I connected them. Well I logged into my wireless routers today and

enabled an option called Bluetooth Coexistence. So far all my devices are now playing nicely

together and I can play my Wii's audio through my headphones.

post #8844 of 9787 Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Called Panasonic about the buzzing coming from my tv when bright screens are on the tv.Service guy called me and told me they are going to replace all the screws on the inside of the television.Anyone else have this done?
post #8845 of 9787 Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^ Sounds like you got a good service person. wink.gif

post #8846 of 9787 Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

Called Panasonic about the buzzing coming from my tv when bright screens are on the tv.Service guy called me and told me they are going to replace all the screws on the inside of the television.Anyone else have this done?
Yes. Thats usually the first step. Sometimes it fixes it. Sometimes not.

post #8847 of 9787 Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Im having blury 3d issues with my panasonic GT50, with the correct blue tooth panasonic glasses. The 2d looks great, i love the tv besides the IR issues im getting with cable stations in the corner.....Anyways When i play a 3d movie the picture is slightly out of focus, which is giving me an instand headache. Before i bought this i had a samsung led 7100, where the 3d was great and didnt hurt my eyes, i got ride of it because it just wasnt holding up to my old pioneer plasma. Anyways i love the plasma but the 3d is a bit blury, is that considered cross talk? Now before i took back the samsung i used there cheap 3d glasses that came with the tv and i still had the issue. Hense why i was like oh i need to buy the 80 dollar panasonic glass but im still getting the same issue.

So I guess the real question is, is there something in the tv setting that i need to change? I dont know think its the player because it was fine on the samsung tv. I have a sony bdp-s780, then i got the sony 790 last night and still have the issue. Is there any setting i need to tweak so is something wrong with my tv? Is there web page that has 3d setting i can try?

thanks
post #8848 of 9787 Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

I'll be interested to hear how the repair goes as I'm having the same issue with my 60GT50. To be honest I can't see how just replacing screws will fix the buzzing issue. Maybe if there is some type of washers to provide better isolation against vibration it might work. I'll be calling Best Buy next month and might ask the Tech to bring all the possible components with him that might be the cause. I just do not want to get into multiple service calls which is a PITA. But for now the buzzing isn't really that much of an issue.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #8849 of 9787 Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM

I just received a YouTube software update that really messed things up. Now, the first few seconds of every video are missing. Did this happen to anyone else?
post #8850 of 9787 Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I'll be interested to hear how the repair goes as I'm having the same issue with my 60GT50. To be honest I can't see how just replacing screws will fix the buzzing issue. Maybe if there is some type of washers to provide better isolation against vibration it might work. I'll be calling Best Buy next month and might ask the Tech to bring all the possible components with him that might be the cause. I just do not want to get into multiple service calls which is a PITA. But for now the buzzing isn't really that much of an issue.

Bill
Youre exactly right. My understanding is that some of the screws do not have washers. Supposedly they fixed this later in the model year.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page