Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have had my 60GT50 for about 6 weeks now. I'm guessing it has about 160 to 180 hours on it. I knew the new models were coming out and I could get one, but I still decided to pick up the GT50 and am very happy with it in all aspects.

The picture and sound are great. I find myself not turning on my HT as much since the sound is VERY good on this tv. Cable and blu-ray are as "sharp as a tack", except for a few cable channels. It's odd, I could be watching a tv program on a channel that does not look as sharp, a commercial comes on and it looks great.

I'm very happy with the THX modes right now. THX Brightroom looks nice and bright during the day with minimal reflections on the screen from my family room window shades being open during the day.

THX Cinema looks very good in the evening. I upped the contrast and brightness a little in that mode, maybe because I was getting used to THX Brightroom. I'm going to plug in some custom settings posted here in the next few weeks and see what they look like.

I have watched a bunch of 3D movies and videos using THX 3D Cinema and Custom and they have all looked very good , with no crosstalk.

High definition Panasonic and Sony 1080/60p camcorder videos look absolutely stunning on this TV. Friends and family have seen my videos and they are floored with the picture quality produced by my HD cams and the TV. The SD card slot is great for this and was one reason why I chose Panasonic over other brands.

So far I have no ir or buzzing issues with the set, and the set was delivered on it's back in a Ryder Truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

but it isn't an OLED. It's an LCD with LED edge lighting. One of BB's well trained staff may have misinformed you. wink.gif

It was a typo but thanks for the clarification! Posted but didn't get a chance to read it as a phone call came in.......oops! wink.gif
post #9003 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

Quote:

but it isn't an OLED. It's an LCD with LED edge lighting. One of BB's well trained staff may have misinformed you. wink.gif

It was a typo but thanks for the clarification! Posted but didn't get a chance to read it as a phone call came in.......oops! wink.gif
You shouldn't let work interfere with AVS. eek.gif
sheshechic likes this.
post #9004 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

You are probably right about price for value, but it isn't an OLED. It's an LCD with LED edge lighting. One of BB's well trained staff may have misinformed you. wink.gif
It better atleast be full LED for $5000. eek.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9005 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

You sure the price wasnt a typo too? What kind of Sony 50" did they have for $5000? eek.gif
sheshechic likes this.

post #9006 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

You are probably right about price for value, but it isn't an OLED. It's an LCD with LED edge lighting. One of BB's well trained staff may have misinformed you. wink.gif
It better atleast be full LED for $5000. eek.gif
Nope. Everyone is doing edge lighting now. I think that they found that thin sells, and LED on the edges is cheaper and thinner. Win. Win. As they say in the back room. wink.gif
post #9007 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope. Everyone is doing edge lighting now. I think that they found that thin sells, and LED on the edges is cheaper and thinner. Win. Win. As they say in the back room. wink.gif
Thats insane! eek.gif I cant believe that so many people are so stupid that they just quit making full LED altogether because the public is more concerned with a tv that looks cool when its off than how good the picture looks when its on. biggrin.gif
Youd have to hold a gun to my head for me to pay $5000 for an edge lit tv.

post #9008 of 9787 Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

You sure the price wasnt a typo too? What kind of Sony 50" did they have for $5000? eek.gif

The new Sony 4k XBR X900a it had to be a 55" though they don't make 50"4k. They are pretty pricey, haven't seen one myself either. I'm sure our GT50 is on par with 1080p content anyways. biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9009 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Thats insane! eek.gif I cant believe that so many people are so stupid that they just quit making full LED altogether because the public is more concerned with a tv that looks cool when its off than how good the picture looks when its on. biggrin.gif
Youd have to hold a gun to my head for me to pay $5000 for an edge lit tv.
I think that the Sharp Elite 70" @ $8.000 MSRP and the SONY XBR-HX950
are the last full-array local dimming LED-LCD displays in the market. I'm not sure of the Sony's introduction price but it was in the Sharp neighborhood. As far as I know, neither company has immediate plans for a new model with the same quality back lighting.
post #9010 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

The new Sony 4k XBR X900a it had to be a 55" though they don't make 50"4k. They are pretty pricey, haven't seen one myself either. I'm sure our GT50 is on par with 1080p content anyways. biggrin.gif
OK. Its 4k. Thats why it costs so much. Not saying its worth it but that does explain it.

post #9011 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a website to check what the latest firmware is? I don't have an internet connection to my tv.
post #9012 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 AM

When playing video files from USB (e.g. MKV files) is there any method to select which audio track is played?

For example if an MKV file has both English and German tracks can the GT50 select which one to play?

I haven't found any options to select a specific audio track or even a subtitle track.
The internal media player seems to be very barebones; it seems to just plays the first audio track.

any advice is most welcomed!

p.s. I know that I could play the files through a bluray player instead, but for reasons I wont get into here, I need to know the answer to the question I pose.
post #9013 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Has anyone got the wake on lan/remote control via IP feature to work with any iphone/ipad apps? I'm not sure if I really get the concept.

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
C: Klipsch WC-24 Icon Center Channel
L/R: Klipsch WF-35 Icon Towers
Surrounds (4): Axiom Audio M2 In-Wall Speakers
Sub: Klipsch Reference RW-12d
post #9014 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

OK. Its 4k. Thats why it costs so much. Not saying its worth it but that does explain it.
Check out the Joe Kane interview that's linked on the AVS home page. Based on what he has to say, I don't think any flat panel 4K display will be worth the money they cost. If you want to enjoy 4K build your own theater. wink.gif
post #9015 of 9787 Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Another oops.....I think your right about it being a 55". Not sure though but I definitely remember him saying $5k and $7k for the larger one, I think 65".
Btw Sony invested some bucks in the display unit the TV sits on. I only got to see text being displayed as the installers were going through the initial TV set-up. It was kind a wild that the TV was asking for ZIP Codes and all kinds of crazy information. I didn't have time to hang around to see the final set up but I can go back anytime and check it out.
post #9016 of 9787 Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonetienne View Post

When playing video files from USB (e.g. MKV files) is there any method to select which audio track is played?

For example if an MKV file has both English and German tracks can the GT50 select which one to play?

I haven't found any options to select a specific audio track or even a subtitle track.
The internal media player seems to be very barebones; it seems to just plays the first audio track.

I use the USB port to play downloaded movies all the time but have not run into this issue yet, can you delete the extra language file before inserting the USB stick, this way there is no choice for the TV?

TV Pan TC-P60GT50, Denon AVR-1713, Front towers BA A360, Center BA A225C, Surround BA XS Satellite, Sub Klipsch RW12D, Blu-ray player Sony BDP-S5100, Ethereal Power Manager 2000.
post #9017 of 9787 Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one321 View Post

Yesterday, I had the same service on my Nov 2012 55GT50 where a tech came and replaced the screws. However, I'm still getting distinct buzzing from both upper-left and upper-right corners, with the right side (looking at it from the back) being the loudest. It's not that I have a major issue with the buzzing since it is usually only noticeable on white screens; I just have a major issue with this leading to something worse once the warranty is up. I'll talk with the tech again to see what he thinks, but I'm probably going to just not worry about it any longer. My only other thought is that I would at least want someone to verify for me that nothing is wrong with the circuit board(s) or something like this 2010 issue/fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post

Oh man, after reading the 2010 issue and the tech note panasonic has I'm worried I've got a hairline crack too... I would say volume while using the TVs speakers of 7 or 8 and a bright screen I can hear a buzz. Totally can hear it on a white screen like hockey or something. I thought it was the "normal" buzz you get from plasma, but if some people can watch bright content with zero buzz at all... Then I'm wondering if I should call for a Panasonic tech...
The local service rep that Panasonic sent to my house handled this very well. The replacement screws with lock washer did nothing to change the buzz. After talking it through with him, we both agreed it's really not that bad and to continue using it to see if it ever gets worse / unbearable. When he called Panasonic to talk about the option of replacing the upper left and right circuit boards, it sounds like Panasonic wasn't too keen on that solution unless it is absolutely necessary. Also, he mentioned that Panasonic was overall fairly vague in answering his questions about the buzz.... sort of an ignore it and hope it goes away stance. So that's where I'm at with my buzz. We have a record that this issue has been called in and not completely addressed. Let's just hope it doesn't escalate into a problem when I have no more "free" resources to address it.
post #9018 of 9787 Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Anyone used the new 2nd edition S&M on your GT50? It seems like it does not handle any of the 24p motion content too well. The "tip" section says I should by able to read the fast scrolling text clearly. I'm not getting this result. The 60i runs really well though, any suggestions? I switched my blu ray player 24p output from auto to ON to OFF. Still seems blurry. Then your disk says to add motion interpolation - I don't want to do this. Thanks for you help.

How does your set handle 24p content?????
post #9019 of 9787 Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbulluci View Post

Anyone used the new 2nd edition S&M on your GT50? It seems like it does not handle any of the 24p motion content too well. The "tip" section says I should by able to read the fast scrolling text clearly. I'm not getting this result. The 60i runs really well though, any suggestions? I switched my blu ray player 24p output from auto to ON to OFF. Still seems blurry. Then your disk says to add motion interpolation - I don't want to do this. Thanks for you help.

How does your set handle 24p content?????

My direct experience is that 24p content in 24p mode flickers too much for my tastes. Others experience the same. It seems to be OK for 3D 24P content to use the TV in 24p mode.

But, thats a pain in the ass to switch just for 3d so for the most part I watch in 60
post #9020 of 9787 Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by one321 View Post

The local service rep that Panasonic sent to my house handled this very well. The replacement screws with lock washer did nothing to change the buzz. After talking it through with him, we both agreed it's really not that bad and to continue using it to see if it ever gets worse / unbearable. When he called Panasonic to talk about the option of replacing the upper left and right circuit boards, it sounds like Panasonic wasn't too keen on that solution unless it is absolutely necessary. Also, he mentioned that Panasonic was overall fairly vague in answering his questions about the buzz.... sort of an ignore it and hope it goes away stance. So that's where I'm at with my buzz. We have a record that this issue has been called in and not completely addressed. Let's just hope it doesn't escalate into a problem when I have no more "free" resources to address it.

I have a local company coming tomorrow for the buzzing issue with my 60GT50. If the buzzing issue isn't corrected I'll definitely push for further repairs or a replacement. I feel this way because when I first bought the 60GT50 it did not buzz like it is now.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #9021 of 9787 Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post

I use the USB port to play downloaded movies all the time but have not run into this issue yet, can you delete the extra language file before inserting the USB stick, this way there is no choice for the TV?

I think this is what I will need to do.
post #9022 of 9787 Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have a local company coming tomorrow for the buzzing issue with my 60GT50. If the buzzing issue isn't corrected I'll definitely push for further repairs or a replacement. I feel this way because when I first bought the 60GT50 it did not buzz like it is now.

Bill

I had the Tech come out today to replace the screws on all the vital boards on my 60GT50. Unfortunately it made no difference as far as eliminating the buzz with bright scenes. The Tech thought the buzzing was acceptable by Panasonic's standards. He even took it off the wall a second time and placed it on the stand to give a good listen. When on the stand the buzzing was not as bad. I was happy with the Tech's effort and the plan is to see if the buzzing gets worse. If it does then I'll see what will need to be done at that time.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #9023 of 9787 Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had the Tech come out today to replace the screws on all the vital boards on my 60GT50. Unfortunately it made no difference as far as eliminating the buzz with bright scenes. The Tech thought the buzzing was acceptable by Panasonic's standards. He even took it off the wall a second time and placed it on the stand to give a good listen. When on the stand the buzzing was not as bad. I was happy with the Tech's effort and the plan is to see if the buzzing gets worse. If it does then I'll see what will need to be done at that time.

Bill
Bummer. Have you considered some kind of sound insulating material for behind the tv? Just a thought.

post #9024 of 9787 Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bummer. Have you considered some kind of sound insulating material for behind the tv? Just a thought.

To be honest I did not expect the upgraded screws that were installed to fix the buzzing issue. So I wasn't really disappointed with the outcome. I have thought about some form of sound insulating material. But I'm not sure how that would look. But I'll definitely give it some thought. Thanks for the suggestion smile.gif.

Bill

post #9025 of 9787 Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

Just be careful not to cover up the cooling vents on the back.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #9026 of 9787 Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Just be careful not to cover up the cooling vents on the back.
For sure. I was thinking something to,put on the wall rather than the tv.

post #9027 of 9787 Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

If its that easy and reliable a fix for buzzing its too bad Panasonic themselves didn't use a better screw with washer and tighten them properly at the factory. The buzzing has been an issue for years, why didn't they just fix that years ago it wouldn't cost nearly anything?

Buzzing has been a re-occurring defect since the advent of Plasma TVs. It seems the two most common causes (at least with the Panasonics) is (A) a bad power supply board, or (B) a bad coil on a PCB board that vibrates at high frequency and produces an abnormally loud buzz. There are a lot of these coils inside a Plasma TV and just takes one bad one to cause the TV to buzz excessively loud.

My friend's normally silent 60" ST30 (that i installed for him and visited from time to time) suddenly started buzzing on bright scenes and bright commercials after several months where it had never done so before. Panasonic sent a tech who was sure it was loose screws but tightening them first, then replacing them with the newer upgraded screws had no effect. So he investigated further and quickly isolated the sound as coming from a specific coil on the upper right board behind the panel that had gone bad. He had a replacement board in his van so he installed the new board the the TV was instantly silent again, and is still silent to this day (he's a co-woker and i'd certainly hear about it if the buzzing came back). None of us can hear any buzzing beyond about a foot away - this is what i consider to be normal for a Plasma (just as it is on 3 of my 4 units).

Check these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455685/going-rogue-with-buzzing-issues-for-the-panasonic-p55st50#post_22915359

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/750#post_22969526

The very first Plasma i ever saw was a Fujitsu at a high end A/V dealer back in 1999, prominently displayed at the entrance to their showroom. It was buzzing very loudly and even in that retail environment i could hear it from several feet away and i asked the salesmen if Plasma TVs are really supposed to buzz like that? They said that just started out of nowhere and a repairman was scheduled to come fix it. I even remember telling them they should just leave the TV turned off because people are going to complain that a $10,000 TV shouldn't buzz like that!! Some weeks later when i went back that Fujitsu was now quiet - they said a bad power supply was the source of the buzzing and replacing it fixed it.

If you want to find the specific source of the buzz, i'd get a mechanic's stethoscope which will enable you to pinpoint the source of your buzzing. When i touch mine to various points on the rear cover of my GT50 (and G10) i can hear various levels of low level buzzing from the various components insdie and it gets louder when i probe over the areas that have video boards and over the power supply.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5888-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0037UUMO4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1368885203&sr=1-1&keywords=mechanics+stethoscope

There was a Youtube video some years back where one guy removed the back of his loudly buzzing Plasma and was able to put his finger right on the offending coil and stop the buzz. These coils apparently vibrate and if they go defective that vibration turns into a buzz.
sheshechic likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9028 of 9787 Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Buzzing has been a re-occurring defect since the advent of Plasma TVs. It seems the two most common causes (at least with the Panasonics) is (A) a bad power supply board, or (B) a bad coil on a PCB board that vibrates at high frequency and produces an abnormally loud buzz. There are a lot of these coils inside a Plasma TV and just takes one bad one to cause the TV to buzz excessively loud.

My friend's normally silent 60" ST30 (that i installed for him and visited from time to time) suddenly started buzzing on bright scenes and bright commercials after several months where it had never done so before. Panasonic sent a tech who was sure it was loose screws but tightening them first, then replacing them with the newer upgraded screws had no effect. So he investigated further and quickly isolated the sound as coming from a specific coil on the upper right board behind the panel that had gone bad. He had a replacement board in his van so he installed the new board the the TV was instantly silent again, and is still silent to this day (he's a co-woker and i'd certainly hear about it if the buzzing came back). None of us can hear any buzzing beyond about a foot away - this is what i consider to be normal for a Plasma (just as it is on 3 of my 4 units).

Check these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455685/going-rogue-with-buzzing-issues-for-the-panasonic-p55st50#post_22915359

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/750#post_22969526

The very first Plasma i ever saw was a Fujitsu at a high end A/V dealer back in 1999, prominently displayed at the entrance to their showroom. It was buzzing very loudly and even in that retail environment i could hear it from several feet away and i asked the salesmen if Plasma TVs are really supposed to buzz like that? They said that just started out of nowhere and a repairman was scheduled to come fix it. I even remember telling them they should just leave the TV turned off because people are going to complain that a $10,000 TV shouldn't buzz like that!! Some weeks later when i went back that Fujitsu was now quiet - they said a bad power supply was the source of the buzzing and replacing it fixed it.

If you want to find the specific source of the buzz, i'd get a mechanic's stethoscope which will enable you to pinpoint the source of your buzzing. When i touch mine to various points on the rear cover of my GT50 (and G10) i can hear various levels of low level buzzing from the various components insdie and it gets louder when i probe over the areas that have video boards and over the power supply.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5888-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0037UUMO4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1368885203&sr=1-1&keywords=mechanics+stethoscope

There was a Youtube video some years back where one guy removed the back of his loudly buzzing Plasma and was able to put his finger right on the offending coil and stop the buzz. These coils apparently vibrate and if they go defective that vibration turns into a buzz.

Great post, thanks Randy!
post #9029 of 9787 Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonetienne View Post

p.s. I know that I could play the files through a bluray player instead, but for reasons I wont get into here, I need to know the answer to the question I pose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post

Once you start the video playback push the white "option" button on the remote. The display will show "video options". Push the center "OK" button on the remote. The very first menu that shows up under video options will allow you to select the various audio tracks. I guess someone thought that putting audio options in the video options menu was a good idea frown.gif You don't need to delete anything wink.gif

Also be aware that the GT50 does not play all the different audio codecs out there. For instance, it will not play DTS.
post #9030 of 9787 Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Does anyone want to share their PS3 screen settings connected to a GT50???? I would like to compare. Thanks!

One tip for ps3: Do not set to Auto (Color Space was way off - simply by testing with the new 2nd edition S&M even without calibration equipment. It was easy to tell). Set it to 4:2:2.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page