Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 304 - AVS Forum
First ... 302  303  304 305  306  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171 05:51 PM 06-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I agree it can be flaky. Thats why I dont use it. No real benefit to me. But it will carry 5.1.

I use ARC every now and again to get Amazon Prime from the TV and sound to my system. Haven't had any problems.

cybolt's Avatar cybolt 09:49 PM 06-12-2013
I have a 60GT50 and due to a family emergency, I need to recoup my investment and sell it. mad.gif
I bought it in February and burned it in for 100 hours with D-Nice's slides. The panel has less than 500 hours on it now.
It is in perfect condition without a single issue.

Where can I post a listing that would allow me to include pricing details, etc?

Thanks.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 10:03 PM 06-12-2013
http://www.avsforum.com/f/253/plasma-panels

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Hope everything turns out alright. smile.gif
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171 10:04 PM 06-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

I have a 60GT50 and due to a family emergency, I need to recoup my investment and sell it. mad.gif
I bought it in February and burned it in for 100 hours with D-Nice's slides. The panel has less than 500 hours on it now.
It is in perfect condition without a single issue.

Where can I post a listing that would allow me to include pricing details, etc?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out.

You can post it here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/253/plasma-panels
cybolt's Avatar cybolt 11:05 PM 06-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out.

You can post it here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/253/plasma-panels

Thanks friend. Took me a while to find it, which was about the same time i got your thoughtful reply.
Hard to justiofy hanging on to a set like this when you get laid off.
cybolt's Avatar cybolt 11:07 PM 06-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/f/253/plasma-panels

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Hope everything turns out alright. smile.gif

Thanks to you as well. I'm selling it for less than the ST50, but it's hard to sell this kind of stuff private party.

I finally got iot listed though.
gavone1976's Avatar gavone1976 08:39 AM 06-13-2013
I had a tech come out and replace all the screws in my 55gt50 and I was watching the Stanley Cup Finals last night at a low volume and I still hear buzzing form about 11 feet away.My one year warranty expired on may 27.Do you think Panasonic will still help me or am I stuck with a $1600 buzzing TV now?
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 08:45 AM 06-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybolt View Post

Thanks friend. Took me a while to find it, which was about the same time i got your thoughtful reply.
Hard to justiofy hanging on to a set like this when you get laid off.

That really sucks but don't worry you'll be back up on your feet soon. I've been on the shelf since feb with a torn ACL/Meniscus, finally just got my surgery 3 weeks ago (damn painful) but thankfully it was a work related injury so I'm ok financially. Otherwise I would of been in a lot of trouble if it wasn't work related. Hope everything works out better for you.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 09:11 AM 06-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavone1976 View Post

I had a tech come out and replace all the screws in my 55gt50 and I was watching the Stanley Cup Finals last night at a low volume and I still hear buzzing form about 11 feet away.My one year warranty expired on may 27.Do you think Panasonic will still help me or am I stuck with a $1600 buzzing TV now?
You have record of the issue before the warranty expired. Call them. If you only notice the buzz once a month though you may have a problem getting help.
scurker's Avatar scurker 06:28 PM 06-13-2013
So I saw from a few weeks ago there was some discussion involving IR, but I'm not sure if mine is related.

It might be hard to see from the image, but I get IR from the bootup logo when I turn on the TV. "HOME THTR" will appear and will go eventually away if I play a movie or something else. If I don't do anything else it'll stay. It's not burn in and seems to only happen when I first start up the TV. I wouldn't be surprised at some IR if I were to watch static content for hours, but not from something that appears for 5 seconds when I first turn the TV on. I bought my TV back in February, and this is only a behavior that has exhibited itself in the past couple of weeks.

I have a GT50 using HD-Master's settings in Custom mode. I wore in the tv for 150 hours running slides, and probably have around 250+ hours on it now. I've even tried running the Anti-IR bars and more slides, but it seems to be getting worse and worse (or maybe I'm just paranoid and noticing it more ;-). Is this something that I should try and contact Panasonic about, or anything else I can try to see if I can fix it?
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 07:22 PM 06-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurker View Post

So I saw from a few weeks ago there was some discussion involving IR, but I'm not sure if mine is related.

It might be hard to see from the image, but I get IR from the bootup logo when I turn on the TV. "HOME THTR" will appear and will go eventually away if I play a movie or something else. If I don't do anything else it'll stay. It's not burn in and seems to only happen when I first start up the TV. I wouldn't be surprised at some IR if I were to watch static content for hours, but not from something that appears for 5 seconds when I first turn the TV on. I bought my TV back in February, and this is only a behavior that has exhibited itself in the past couple of weeks.

I have a GT50 using HD-Master's settings in Custom mode. I wore in the tv for 150 hours running slides, and probably have around 250+ hours on it now. I've even tried running the Anti-IR bars and more slides, but it seems to be getting worse and worse (or maybe I'm just paranoid and noticing it more ;-). Is this something that I should try and contact Panasonic about, or anything else I can try to see if I can fix it?
Panasonic won't give a crap about your IR or burn-in issues so don't even waste your time. At this point the only thing you can really do is not stress over and just enjoy your TV. If it goes away then don't worry about it. If it doesn't then buy the Disney WOW blu-ray disc and run the pixel flipper every so often to clean up your screen.

I wouldn't worry about things that are not static on your screen for long periods of time. They will go away every time.....It is just more of an annoyance you will have to deal with and depending on how long you leave things on your screen, it might hang around for a bit longer. That is a sacrifice you have to deal with when choosing a plasma.
headlesschickens's Avatar headlesschickens 07:33 PM 06-13-2013
Quote:

The good news is that what you're seeing there is "short-duration" residual charge IR. See how the letters are actually brighter than the background? Perfectly harmless and goes away within minutes when you start running dynamic content. The kind of IR to worry about is darker than the surrounding image, and takes at least a couple hours of exposure to bright static images to develop. That said, yeah, the GT50 (all the XX50's) is prone to long-duration IR if you do expose it to static images for a number of hours. "Break-in" does not impact IR performance one way or the other, it's a myth from ye old-ey times when plasmas actually had very short lifespans. If you avoid logo channels and don't play games you'll never have to think about it at all. Otherwise I'd suggest the panel get a few hours a week of IR removal content, which is basically anything bright and dynamic with no static elements.

Just for a little perspective, I'm always pointing out the IR issues with these sets on here and I sometimes use my GT50 as a desktop display (at a lower contrast than normal, of course). As long as you're aware of the potential it's completely manageable.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 07:33 PM 06-13-2013
Quote:

It might be hard to see from the image, but I get IR from the bootup logo when I turn on the TV. "HOME THTR" will appear and will go eventually away if I play a movie or something else. If I don't do anything else it'll stay.
Is it possible that your TV has been left on with HOME THTR on the screen when no one was watching? Is there anyone else in your household who might have turned on the TV and then been distracted for a while?

Can you see it when you're watching normal programming or playing disks that fill the screen? Watch as much full screen programs, and full screen movies for a while. IR will go away if the fixed image isn't constantly repeated for periods of time a lot longer than five seconds. I don't own a Panasonic TV. Is there a way to configure your setup to avoid that title? You'll probably need help from a GT50 owner.

EDIT: Also keep an eye out for any headlesschickens that post. They know this IR stuff. biggrin.gif
scurker's Avatar scurker 08:30 PM 06-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

The good news is that what you're seeing there is "short-duration" residual charge IR. See how the letters are actually brighter than the background? Perfectly harmless and goes away within minutes when you start running dynamic content. The kind of IR to worry about is darker than the surrounding image, and takes at least a couple hours of exposure to bright static images to develop. That said, yeah, the GT50 (all the XX50's) is prone to long-duration IR if you do expose it to static images for a number of hours. "Break-in" does not impact IR performance one way or the other, it's a myth from ye old-ey times when plasmas actually had very short lifespans. If you avoid logo channels and don't play games you'll never have to think about it at all. Otherwise I'd suggest the panel get a few hours a week of IR removal content, which is basically anything bright and dynamic with no static elements.

Just for a little perspective, I'm always pointing out the IR issues with these sets on here and I sometimes use my GT50 as a desktop display (at a lower contrast than normal, of course). As long as you're aware of the potential it's completely manageable.

As long as there's no harm, I feel more comfortable. I've actually left Netflix on accidentally for four hours once, and there was absolutely no burn in. Is there any reason it just started to happen now, and not during the first 4 months of use? It doesn't seem to happen after I've been watching TV for a little while. I do play games, but not usually for more than 2-3 hours. But the wife and I watch plenty of Netflix too, so that should qualify as dynamic content. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Is it possible that your TV has been left on with HOME THTR on the screen when no one was watching? Is there anyone else in your household who might have turned on the TV and then been distracted for a while?

Can you see it when you're watching normal programming or playing disks that fill the screen? Watch as much full screen programs, and full screen movies for a while. IR will go away if the fixed image isn't constantly repeated for periods of time a lot longer than five seconds. I don't own a Panasonic TV. Is there a way to configure your setup to avoid that title? You'll probably need help from a GT50 owner.

EDIT: Also keep an eye out for any headlesschickens that post. They know this IR stuff. biggrin.gif

No. It's just an element that pops up when you switch inputs or first turn on the TV. It can also happen with the PS3 XMB menu.
Boston Red Sox's Avatar Boston Red Sox 03:55 AM 06-17-2013
Does anyone know the difference between the Disney WOW blu-ray discs sold by Amazon, besides one is almost $10 more? They seem identical to me, if anyone with these discs can explain which one is best for us, it would be greatly appreciated. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while. Thanks!!

$16.99: http://www.amazon.com/Wow-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371461644&sr=1-1&keywords=disney+wow

$23.73: http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wonder-Single-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B00567TD7I/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371461644&sr=1-3&keywords=disney+wow

$24.99 (2 discs): http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371461644&sr=1-2&keywords=disney+wow
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 05:02 AM 06-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Does anyone know the difference between the Disney WOW blu-ray discs sold by Amazon, besides one is almost $10 more? They seem identical to me, if anyone with these discs can explain which one is best for us, it would be greatly appreciated. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while. Thanks!!

$16.99: http://www.amazon.com/Wow-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371461644&sr=1-1&keywords=disney+wow

$23.73: http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wonder-Single-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B00567TD7I/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371461644&sr=1-3&keywords=disney+wow

$24.99 (2 discs): http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371461644&sr=1-2&keywords=disney+wow
Your first link is the newest version of the disc. The 2nd link is older.

The 2 disc version is not worth the extra money as it does not offer any additional calibration items on the 2nd disc. It just has clips of things to watch.
k1ngkk's Avatar k1ngkk 11:37 AM 06-20-2013
Can someone tell me the best input and mode to be in to use this tv as a PC monitor? My old LCD had a specific computer mode which drastically improved text clarity. Does this have something similar?
Matt Hand's Avatar Matt Hand 01:09 PM 06-20-2013
has anyone posted their game mode settings in here? i feel like i can't get my game mode looking no matter what i tweak. maybe if someone has a decent set of settings i can use it as a base and tweak it a little if i need to
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 01:19 PM 06-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkk View Post

Can someone tell me the best input and mode to be in to use this tv as a PC monitor? My old LCD had a specific computer mode which drastically improved text clarity. Does this have something similar?

My HTPC is hooked up HDMI and I use custom mode. Cnet , Dnice , or HD master settings used. Use the ones that look better to you. You can also try Game mode. I have no problem with either one, they all have clear text set at 1080p.
ElectroMike's Avatar ElectroMike 08:11 AM 06-24-2013
I have a question on watching movies on a 2.0 Flash drive via the USB input port.

Seems that I can pause a movie, switch back to cable/sat view, then come back and resume from a pause point but the forward and rewind does not work, so if I stop a movie, I cannot go back to it and forward to the point where I stopped it.

Am I missing something or is this normal? Not sure if the TV needs a different codec or the forward/review is only supported in certain formats? confused.gif
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 11:10 AM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post

I have a question on watching movies on a 2.0 Flash drive via the USB input port.

Seems that I can pause a movie, switch back to cable/sat view, then come back and resume from a pause point but the forward and rewind does not work, so if I stop a movie, I cannot go back to it and forward to the point where I stopped it.

Am I missing something or is this normal? Not sure if the TV needs a different codec or the forward/review is only supported in certain formats? confused.gif

Could be a codec/format thing never tried a USB drive. Why don't you connect your computer to your tv, it will solve all your problems.
ElectroMike's Avatar ElectroMike 12:20 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Could be a codec/format thing never tried a USB drive. Why don't you connect your computer to your tv, it will solve all your problems.

Honestly................b/c I'm too lazy!

TV has what 4 USB ports, so I have one 64g flash with a few seasons of shows, the others are 8g's which I keep rotating, so there is always 2-3 sticks in the TV. So depending who is in the family room and has time, we will either watch one type of a show or another and the thing is, between my wife and the kids, most of the time we will be watching TV and using a laptop or a tablet at the same time, so it's just easy to say, OK who wants to watch Top Gear UK or Breaking Bad or what not and just hit the TV remote to go on, without using a PC! I dunno, just taking advantage of the TV's options! biggrin.gif
rypaul's Avatar rypaul 01:27 PM 06-24-2013
I will try playing something off my USB stick when I get home and see what options there are if any for skipping through the movie.
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 01:33 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

Honestly................b/c I'm too lazy!

TV has what 4 USB ports, so I have one 64g flash with a few seasons of shows, the others are 8g's which I keep rotating, so there is always 2-3 sticks in the TV. So depending who is in the family room and has time, we will either watch one type of a show or another and the thing is, between my wife and the kids, most of the time we will be watching TV and using a laptop or a tablet at the same time, so it's just easy to say, OK who wants to watch Top Gear UK or Breaking Bad or what not and just hit the TV remote to go on, without using a PC! I dunno, just taking advantage of the TV's options! biggrin.gif

I hear ya, having a HTPC is pretty convenient and simple too. I just press one button and I'm ready to watch any movie,show,music,pictures,web,programs I want. biggrin.gif
tpollagi's Avatar tpollagi 06:21 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:

No, you are not missing anything. The media player is just not very robust. I ran USB sticks and a USB hard drive initially but was never impressed with the capabilities of the built it player and its audio limitations. HTPC is an option and I had a simple set-up on my previous TV but with the GT I just went with a simple external media player. It's too simple and convenient not to use.
ElectroMike's Avatar ElectroMike 06:06 AM 06-25-2013
OK, glad it's not just me then. I'm glad you also brought up the audio quality or lack of, as I also found that to be the case when going thru the USB port.

Can you guys elaborate on how you connected your media player to the GT50 and the type used? In other words, I have a win 7, 64bit OS on my laptop with all my media on it, what's the best way to connect it to this TV, to get the best video and audio? My current laptop does not have an HDMI out, just PC monitor port (so no audio out, unless I go thru the 3.5mm audio out jack), or should I look into a different type of a media player or a PC which has an HDMI out to get the best of it? I have a Tablet with an HDMI out, would that be a better choice to use?

Right now I have my Bluray and Cable/Sat signals going into my AVR, then using an ARC out to go to the TV, from the TV I also have an Optical out to the AVR.
Ryan25's Avatar Ryan25 08:27 AM 06-25-2013
You could always upgrade your video card.
ElectroMike's Avatar ElectroMike 10:06 AM 06-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

You could always upgrade your video card.

That's a great idea, thanks for the reminder! tongue.gif

I've never had the need to do that on this particular pc but have done it with other pc's in the past and forgot that it's an option here!
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 02:11 PM 06-25-2013
Quote:

OK, glad it's not just me then. I'm glad you also brought up the audio quality or lack of, as I also found that to be the case when going thru the USB port.

Can you guys elaborate on how you connected your media player to the GT50 and the type used? In other words, I have a win 7, 64bit OS on my laptop with all my media on it, what's the best way to connect it to this TV, to get the best video and audio? My current laptop does not have an HDMI out, just PC monitor port (so no audio out, unless I go thru the 3.5mm audio out jack), or should I look into a different type of a media player or a PC which has an HDMI out to get the best of it? I have a Tablet with an HDMI out, would that be a better choice to use?

Right now I have my Bluray and Cable/Sat signals going into my AVR, then using an ARC out to go to the TV, from the TV I also have an Optical out to the AVR.

Best way to connect a HTPC or media player is HDMI, assuming you have a newer video card or processor, because it will allow you to get the best video and sound. Multichannel Dolby True HD, DTS HD. I have never attempted to connect a tablet so I can't comment on that.

Can I ask you why are you using an optical cable too when you have ARC?
tpollagi's Avatar tpollagi 05:17 PM 06-25-2013
Quote:

Can you guys elaborate on how you connected your media player to the GT50 and the type used? ....

I have a Pivos AIOS media player connected to the GT with HDMI for video and simple audio AND a separate optical cable running from the PIVOS to my receiver so I can get the DTS sound tracks that most of my video files have.

When I used to use the lap-top, I used a Turtle Beach USB-to-optical audio unit. My only other audio out was just the simple stereo headphone jack. The Turtle Beach unit worked quite well and basically added a multi-channel optical out to my laptop. My laptop is a few years old and does not have HDMI and neither does my receiver. Video was through VGA. All of the PC connects were tied into a docking station so all I had to do was plop down the laptop and all was ready to go. Having done this for several years on my prior TV, I can now tell you how much more I prefer the media player route I now have.

If you plan on using the PC for more than video then it may be a worthwhile hook-up but having done that before and now using a dedicated media player, I would recommend a simple media player if you just want to view stored movies and video. I have a 3 TByte hard drive connected to the media player which will store a frightening amount of mkv and iso files. It's all controlled simply with a remote.

I never liked it, but another option is to set-up and the DLNA server on your PC and use the built in app on the GT to view your PC files on the big screen. It does work but its kinda hampered by the same limitations as you have seen with the USB connected devices running through the GT's on board player plus a variety of network and communication "problems". I had only played around with the built in features of Windows 7; there could be some better DLNA software out there but after getting the media player it all seamed like a waste of time to even bother looking.
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 302  303  304 305  306  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop