Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem is the smell is only really apparant when it is on a brighter mode, and the smell is too strong away from the TV. This is after 2 weeks. If the replacement is the same, I don't know if I can accept that. Hopefully it won't be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiene View Post

Side note, hockey had no issues whatsoever on my set, looked fabulous. No brightness fluctuations, ice looked nice and white, etc. I'm running in "Custom" mode with various adjustments made. I'm very happy with this TV so far.

That is excellent news! That is the main reason I am wanting to dump my Samsung plasma.

Mike
post #903 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

sounds like crap... how many on here are actually loving their gt50? im thinking of getting the 55gt50 or the 55vt50...

Have you not been reading this thread, 95% of GT50 owners are very happy with their sets, only those few that are claiming they hear buzzing and that is actually bothering them and (odor)? As for me buzzing is not even an issue even at low volume and odor? Don't know what the heck they are talking about, maybe they should clean their house. Now I'm not saying they are making it up but if it really bothers them,they can exchange it. This set outperforms pretty much anything out right now in this $$$$ range.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #904 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

LOL, that's not me. Good one though.

It wasn't an original thought. My wife heads for her computer as soon as we finish watching a movie. I've learned a lot from my wife over the past 50 years.
post #905 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

im so on the fence of getting a plasma over an LCD but buzzing sounds might be the dealbreaker... sucks...

sucks that these tv's with great picture and all have a buzzing sound that comes with it

Since 2007, I have purchased 3 panasonic plasmas, all of which I am still enjoying: a pz700, a gt25, and a gt30, and here is the statistic you might be interested in:

I haven't heard one single buzz from any of them, not from 10 feet away, and not from 1 foot away. And yet according to all the hearing tests available through modern state-of-the-art medicine, my hearing is 100% intact and unimpaired.

I do not discount the fact that there might be some "buzzers" out there, but they are clearly an exception, especially those that buzz loudly enough to draw the attention of the viewer...

I'm familiar with the line: "All plasmas buzz." Now if that is a scientifically verifiable fact, then it means that any possible buzzing on my 3 sets is not even noticeable, and honestly, I haven't gone looking for any... Why should I?

Long story short: AVS is a wonderful place to learn a ton of useful "techie-stuff" about tvs and other electronic machines, and to get a lot of invaluable trouble shooting tips on them... One downside to frequenting this site is that one can very easily become a "techie-hypochondriac" if they do not take some of the things they hear with some perspective...

If you're planning on getting a GT50, don't make a mountain out of a little "buzz." If you're unlucky enough to get a "buzzer" the first time around, you can easily exchange it for a "non-buzzer," nice & easy, problem solved!

At any rate, I'd say there is more than a 90% chance that you won't get a buzzer... And I say those are some pretty good odds.
post #906 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

I have to return my TV soon for a different issue and I'm wondering if I should just go to the higher model to reduce buzzing and improve IQ.

I don't know if it will actually improve your IQ, but it might have that 'HolidayInn Express' effect.
post #907 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Since 2007, I have purchased 3 panasonic plasmas, all of which I am still enjoying: a pz700, a gt25, and a gt30, and here is the statistic you might be interested in:

I haven't heard one single buzz from any of them, not from 10 feet away, and not from 1 foot away. And yet according to all the hearing tests available through modern state-of-the-art medicine, my hearing is 100% intact and unimpaired.

I do not discount the fact that there might be some "buzzers" out there, but they are clearly an exception, especially those that buzz loudly enough to draw the attention of the viewer...

I'm familiar with the line: "All plasmas buzz." Now if that is a scientifically verifiable fact, then it means that any possible buzzing on my 3 sets is not even noticeable, and honestly, I haven't not gone looking for any... Why should I?

Long story short: AVS is a wonderful place to learn a ton of useful "techie-stuff" about tvs and other electronic machines, and to get a lot of invaluable trouble shooting tips on them... One downside to frequenting this site is that one can very easily become a "techie-hypochondriac" if they do not take some of the things they hear with some perspective...

If you're planning on getting a GT50, don't make a mountain out of a little "buzz." If you're unlucky enough to get a "buzzer" the first time around, you can easily exchange it for a "non-buzzer," nice & easy, problem solved!

At any rate, I'd say there is more than a 90% chance that you won't get a buzzer... And I say those a some pretty good odds.

convinced me! now its between the 55vt50 and the 55gt50!

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #908 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 12
Just opened and powered up a new 50GT50. Had issues with two GT30s (green blobs in one and pink vertical line in the other). Had it on now just over an hour. Picture is fantastic. No strange odours. No buzzing at any distance, even with my ear by the screen. Don't have a blank white screen to test but watched a 5 minute clip of hockey and no undesireable noise. Looking forward to more testing.

Only complaint is the design. Actually quite prefer the overall look of the GT30.
post #909 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

That is excellent news! That is the main reason I am wanting to dump my Samsung plasma.

Same here! I am waiting for my refund to get approved.
post #910 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

So what is the deal with line bleed on the GT's?

I just looked at an ST in store and saw really bad line bleed coming of the the lettering of the opening green screen of a movie! (u know, the warning screen). I realize the store didnt have it running with an HDMI and probably had it in "out of box" picture settings, but it was aweful. I know the GT is a step up, but the fact that they are basically the same panel has me a bit scared to purchase the GT. I almost never see any on my E8000.

Can others please let me know if line bleed is a noticeable problem on their GT's? or is it more in line with typical plasma's where as you can only notice it on rare occasions?
post #911 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Have you not been reading this thread, 95% of GT50 owners are very happy with their sets, only those few that are claiming they hear buzzing and that is actually bothering them and (odor)? As for me buzzing is not even an issue even at low volume and odor? Don't know what the heck they are talking about, maybe they should clean their house. Now I'm not saying they are making it up but if it really bothers them,they can exchange it. This set outperforms pretty much anything out right now in this $$$$ range.

a slight buzzing on a plasma tv usually indicates the contrast is way too high and it usually happens on a bright scene of a movie or show.My older panny , 7 years has it, but that is normal.Lowering the contrast reduces the amount of power to supply an overly vivid picture and tames the noise down. It is a common issue with plasmas and old crts and is not a defect, just the way they work.
post #912 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpinelli View Post

Oh, I did notice a slight odor from the TV when I had it powered up for a while. Really can only smell it when I get close to the back of the set. As it is brand new I assume this is residue from manufacturing out-gassing as the components get heated up. I fully expect it to fade over time but even if it doesn't, it is not problematic as is.

tv odors???

may be some new interactive feature from panny. part of their vierra family of features.

neflixis our nemesis
post #913 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I can't finf ANY 2012 model here in south Florida. My Bestbuy/Magnolia only has the "30" series. No more high-end stores here either. Amazon is taking everybody out of business !

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #914 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

So what is the deal with line bleed on the GT's?

I just looked at an ST in store and saw really bad line bleed coming of the the lettering of the opening green screen of a movie! (u know, the warning screen). I realize the store didnt have it running with an HDMI and probably had it in "out of box" picture settings, but it was aweful. I know the GT is a step up, but the fact that they are basically the same panel has me a bit scared to purchase the GT. I almost never see any on my E8000.

Can others please let me know if line bleed is a noticeable problem on their GT's? or is it more in line with typical plasma's where as you can only notice it on rare occasions?

Hopefully that is a characteristic of the ST and not the GT, I have not seen it on the GT50 50" that I have.

That being said, today I decided to order a VT50 55" - although it isn't currently in stock and I may have to wait a few weeks.

I am very happy with the GT50, but down the line I don't want any regrets as far as 'skimping' on some of the extras - such as 96hz playback.

I think you will be much happier with the GT50 than the E8000, as that is first TV I tried out this year.
post #915 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiene View Post

That is definitely very different than the way mine is, sounds like it may have a problem... I had read about plasma buzzing on here lots before it arrived, so I was specifically on the lookout for it, and its been a total non-issue on mine.

Same for me, eventually. I have had mine a couple weeks now. I previously posted about hearing buzzing at 13 feet, but in total silence and head sideways (ear facing panel). But with any volume, facing it, I can't hear it at all. But yes, some people hear different frequencies louder than others. Nobody else in my household or visitors can hear it unless they within a foot or two, and had to be told to listen for it. I have always been sensitive to high pitch noises and so I focused on it. But even with the avr or DVR or BD player on an no volume, I can't even hear the buzz. So as stated several times, if it bothers you, replace it because that is the only thing (one) that counts.

No matter what any of us report about it, I it bothers you, then our experience and opinion won't matter. Get something you will be happy with.

And another thought, I have no IR, no strange colors, lines, or other defects on mine, so I would not want to replace it or have it repaired under warranty to end up with defects I do not have now. I just don't try hard to hear he buzz like at first. Bu again, if you hear even on low volume, you will be unhappy, so do what your heart tells you. Too dramatic? Nah, we are having love affairs with our TVs or we would not be reading and posting here. ; )
post #916 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:

sounds like crap... how many on here are actually loving their gt50? im thinking of getting the 55gt50 or the 55vt50...

Me! Beautiful picture, nice features, great viewing angles, great per-sets, perfectly bright in bright room with sun coming in 3 big windows, nice 3d, etc.
post #917 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I can't finf ANY 2012 model here in south Florida. My Bestbuy/Magnolia only has the "30" series. No more high-end stores here either. Amazon is taking everybody out of business !

Go to, or call, the other electronics stores in your area and let them know that you're ticked because the company didn't pre-order any Panasonic plasmas for this year. Quite a few didn't and that's nationwide. It ticked me off when I went to see them in person.

post #918 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
@ Raven56706 I am totally in love with my 55gt50!

post #919 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM

strongly considering a switch to this TV from the the Samsung D8000 I just bought.

I was originally concerned about the brightness of the TV compared to an LED, but the Samsung is just too freaking bright, even in a room with a decent amount of sunlight.

From what I've read on the forum, the GT50 performs well even in rooms with sunlight, so I guess the only thing I'll miss with the Panny is a the "sexiness" factor that you get with the design of the samsungs. Oh well.
post #920 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 07:57 PM

Hey guys,
i was @high def junkies dot com but I could not find D-nice custom settings for GT50, only ST50. does anybody knows where i can find the custom settings for GT50?

thx

Dude seriously!
post #921 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by emporio View Post

i was @high def junkies dot com but I could not find D-nice custom settings for GT50

He has not done the GT50.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #922 of 9787 Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Update on the media server front. Turns out Serviio has some issues with non-full resolution .mkv files, and it won't properly scale them up even with those custom profiles. Trying out Mezzmo now, and it seems to work correctly for all files, though it does require transcoding of everything, so it'll definitely be a resource drain on the source machine. Still searching for the perfect solution!
post #923 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

Hockeynut, What size and model Samsung plasma do you have that has fluctuating brightness during hockey?

I have a 51'' E8000 that i am about to get a refund for because of this issue. I was going switch to the 55'' GT50 (which dont have any reported issues with brightness pops). But then i checked hockey on a 60'' E8000 at the store and didnt see any fluctuations. I am trying to figure out if for some reason only the 51'' E series Samsung's have the fluctuating brightness issue. Maybe somehow the larger size E series Samsung panels (60''/64'') are not as prone to the brightness pops?
post #924 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hockeynut, What size and model Samsung plasma do you have that has fluctuating brightness during hockey?

I have a 51'' E8000 that i am about to get a refund for because of this issue. I was going switch to the 55'' GT50 (which dont have any reported issues with brightness pops). But then i checked hockey on a 60'' E8000 at the store and didnt see any fluctuations. I am trying to figure out if for some reason only the 51'' E series Samsung's have the fluctuating brightness issue. Maybe somehow the larger size E series Samsung panels (60''/64'') are not as prone to the brightness pops?

I had 3 PN64E8000 sets (buzz issue) and they looked awesome for hockey in my opinion. Only fluctuation was clearly caused by flashes. In fact the only issue I had was the buzz and the Bruins losing. Reading the review of the GT50 is sounds like the Panny may provide a more detailed image for hockey.
post #925 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiidermen View Post

Hopefully that is a characteristic of the ST and not the GT, I have not seen it on the GT50 50" that I have.

That being said, today I decided to order a VT50 55" - although it isn't currently in stock and I may have to wait a few weeks.

I am very happy with the GT50, but down the line I don't want any regrets as far as 'skimping' on some of the extras - such as 96hz playback.

I think you will be much happier with the GT50 than the E8000, as that is first TV I tried out this year.

Thanks, that is good to know about the line bleed.

So you are much happier with the GT over the E8000, Hmmm... What size's did/do you have? The only reason i am switching to the GT is fluctuating brightness while watching hockey on my 51''E8000 (Otherwise i love the PQ). Did you notice any issues with that on your E series? and what model/size was it?

I would love to get the VT, but it is out of my price range.
post #926 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

I had 3 PN64E8000 sets (buzz issue) and they looked awesome for hockey in my opinion. Only fluctuation was clearly caused by flashes. In fact the only issue I had was the buzz and the Bruins losing. Reading the review of the GT50 is sounds like the Panny may provide a more detailed image for hockey.

Interesting...anyone else that have/had a 60'' or 64'' E8000, please post reports on this brightness fluctuation issue.

So what TV do you currently have?

BTW, I am a B's fan as well...so dissapointing.
post #927 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Interesting...anyone else that have/had a 60'' or 64'' E8000, please post reports on this brightness fluctuation issue.

So what TV do you currently have?

BTW, I am a B's fan as well...so dissapointing.

I am having a 60" GT50 delivered in a couple of hours to replace my 3rd PN64E8000.

I expect it to be equivalent, but different at the same time. Best Buy has been awesome with their return policy on these tv's. My ears seem to be sensitive to the buzz from these thin screens and I hope I have better luck with Panasonic - my older 50" 800U is nice and quiet.
post #928 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

I am having a 60" GT50 delivered in a couple of hours to replace my 3rd PN64E8000.

I expect it to be equivalent, but different at the same time. Best Buy has been awesome with their return policy on these tv's. My ears seem to be sensitive to the buzz from these thin screens and I hope I have better luck with Panasonic - my older 50" 800U is nice and quiet.

looking forward to hearing about your first impressions of the GT.
post #929 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Do i go 55''GT50 or 60''ST50?

I like the sound of the extra picture setting options on the GT. But from what i gather if i get the ST calibrated it will look as good if not better than the GT.
post #930 of 9787 Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Regarding buzzing:

Has it ever been determined exactly "what" causes the buzzing ?
Is it electrical discharge of the plasma inside the tv - (and hence, can't be fixed/changed) ?
Is it an electronic component ?

I would think that if it is a component in the set that is the "source" of buzzing, that it would have been found out by now.
Also, if that were the case, I would expect that manufacturers would have taken major steps to fix/mitigate it - given all the complaints about buzzing over the years.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page