Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 319 - AVS Forum
First ... 317  318  319 320  321  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 06:44 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Have you rebooted your modem and router?
When was the last time you were able to connect and was that wireless or wired?

Modem and router are working fine. Can stream Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, et al via my Blu-Ray player, phones and tablets. All other Internet aspects check out fine. Running tcpdump on the router I can see the TV connect to port 80 at 210.163.220.160, if that works out it will allow me to start the update which then creates an https connection to 72.21.81.31. After that it will download anywhere from 3 to 25% then fail. TV has the latest firmware (as shown on the Panasonic website - 1.17) but the software update just doesn't want to work.

I was having problems installing Tivo Roamios and minis, getting them set up with Moca, making one the host and the other a bridge. Everyone played nice but one, and throwing fits would completely knock out my entire network. After eliminating one possible factor without success, I conceded and set it as a bridge instead. I fought for almost a week with this. There were times when everything looked exactly right and yet without rebooting several times, it didn't work. I still don't know why doing nothing but rebooting 2-3 times that it finally all fell together. Sure I had to reboot the tivo multiple times too but, I believe that in the end it turned out to be the rebooting of the router that has me stable right now.

I'm not saying that it is your router, but I'd reboot both the tv and the router several times since it's dropping the connection. If that didn't work I'd get a tech in to fix it or exchange it. Handshakes and headaches.

mradDiction's Avatar mradDiction 09:29 PM 12-05-2013

HD Master thank you for posting all your settings in here but I'm curious how you switch between settings without resetting them in custom all the time. 

 

**edit** I need to learn to read...I'm still not sure how the splitter works here and i cant seem to find the same one on canada amazon.


Dagg21's Avatar Dagg21 07:27 AM 12-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porteroso View Post

Ok, I've finally got together what should be a good profile for serviio, for any of you still looking to find a good PC based media server. You'll need to copy/paste this into your profiles.xml file in the config folder, then serviio itself is pretty easy to setup and all.
Code:
<Profile id="test" name="test (2013)" extendsProfileId="1">
   <!-- Test profile by Denyall -->
   <Detection>
      <UPnPSearch>
         <FriendlyName>.*VIERA GT50.*</FriendlyName>
         <Manufacturer>Panasonic</Manufacturer>
      </UPnPSearch>
   </Detection>
   <ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.PacketVideoDLNAMessageBuilder</ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>
   <MediaFormatProfiles>
      <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVI</MediaFormatProfile>
   </MediaFormatProfiles>
   <Transcoding>

   <!-- Transcode avi to mpegts, no change to audio -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="avi" />
         </Video>
   <!-- Transcode flv, divx, h263, videos with unsupported audio to mpegts -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="flv" />
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="dca" />
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="flac" />
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="vorbis" />
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="truehd" />
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="real" />
            <!-- Matches container="*" vCodec="h263" -->
         </Video>
   <!-- Transcode divx, h263, videos with good audio to mpegts -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="aac"/>
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="ac3"/>
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="mp3"/>
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="mp2"/>
            <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" aCodec="lpcm"/>
            <!-- Matches container="*" vCodec="h263" -->
         </Video>
    <!-- transcode all MKV with unsupported audio -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
            <!-- Matches container="matroska" -->
            <Matches container="matroska"  aCodec="dca" />
            <Matches container="matroska"  aCodec="flac" />
            <Matches container="matroska"  aCodec="vorbis" />
            <Matches container="matroska"  aCodec="truehd" />
            <Matches container="matroska"  aCodec="real" />
         </Video>
    <!-- transcode all MKV with supported audio -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="aac" />
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="ac3" />
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="mp3" />
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="mp2" />
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="lpcm" />
         </Video>
    <!-- Remux MPEG-TS with no transcoding -->
         <!-- Video targetContainer="mpegts" forceInheritance="true"-->
            <!-- Matches container="avi" -->
            <!-- Matches container="wtv" -->
         <!-- /Video-->








      <!-- unsupported audio will be transcoded into lpcm audio -->
      <Audio targetContainer="lpcm" forceInheritance="true">
         <Matches container="ogg" />
         <Matches container="asf" />
         <Matches container="adts" />
         <Matches container="wavpack" />
         <Matches container="mpc" />
         <Matches container="ape" />
      </Audio>
   </Transcoding>
   <Subtitles>
      <SoftSubs mime-type="text/srt" />
      <HardSubs>
         <RequiredFor container="mp4" />
      </HardSubs>
   </Subtitles>
   <ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>
</Profile>


Thanks Porteroso I will have to try this. I have been working on the serviio forums on a gt50 profile based off of the 2013 VT profile they have I will have to compare how these stack up.
terminal33's Avatar terminal33 01:18 AM 12-22-2013
Can anyone show me a good wall mount for the 65GT50? I'd like it to extend, tilt, and swivel. Thanks!
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 03:38 AM 12-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Can anyone show me a good wall mount for the 65GT50? I'd like it to extend, tilt, and swivel. Thanks!
Nearly any VESA universal mount will work. Just make sure it says it will work for a 65". Monoprice has some good prices on mounts.
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 06:18 AM 12-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Can anyone show me a good wall mount for the 65GT50? I'd like it to extend, tilt, and swivel. Thanks!

This is the one I chose since the longer arm allows it to pivot at a nearly 90 degree angle to the wall- for watching tv in the kitchen. Monoprice has mounts that cost less, not sure about their arm length though. I've been considering one of their mounts for a tv that would be extended and pivoted less often but I find the construction and flexibility of the one from AV Express gets in the way of trying any other. I've owned the long arm mount for a little over a year now, the first tv on it was 60" and now there's a 65" mounted to it. It gets a pretty good work out and we adjusted it sideways for the new tv, yet there is no sag and no indication of it weakening any where. I should probably add that it was a little difficult to install, but only because the thick metal inserts that are inside the brackets, which install directly onto the tv, didn't slide inside the way they should. It's a tight fit, but a screw driver and hammer did the job. I highly recommend this mount. Check out the video in the description and you'll probably understand why I originally chose it for my first mount. BTW, I bought mine through Amazon but I'd also buy directly through their website without concern too.

http://www.av-express.com/AV-Catalog/tv-mount-swivel-tv-mount-corner-tv-wall-mount-articulating-category/articulating-long-arm-extension-tv-mount-wall-mount-bracket-42-to-70-inch-AEON-45200
terminal33's Avatar terminal33 10:09 AM 12-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Nearly any VESA universal mount will work. Just make sure it says it will work for a 65". Monoprice has some good prices on mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

This is the one I chose since the longer arm allows it to pivot at a nearly 90 degree angle to the wall- for watching tv in the kitchen. Monoprice has mounts that cost less, not sure about their arm length though. I've been considering one of their mounts for a tv that would be extended and pivoted less often but I find the construction and flexibility of the one from AV Express gets in the way of trying any other. I've owned the long arm mount for a little over a year now, the first tv on it was 60" and now there's a 65" mounted to it. It gets a pretty good work out and we adjusted it sideways for the new tv, yet there is no sag and no indication of it weakening any where. I should probably add that it was a little difficult to install, but only because the thick metal inserts that are inside the brackets, which install directly onto the tv, didn't slide inside the way they should. It's a tight fit, but a screw driver and hammer did the job. I highly recommend this mount. Check out the video in the description and you'll probably understand why I originally chose it for my first mount. BTW, I bought mine through Amazon but I'd also buy directly through their website without concern too.

http://www.av-express.com/AV-Catalog/tv-mount-swivel-tv-mount-corner-tv-wall-mount-articulating-category/articulating-long-arm-extension-tv-mount-wall-mount-bracket-42-to-70-inch-AEON-45200

Thanks guys. I will most likely go with the Aeon mount since I will need it to swivel as much as it can.
crow216's Avatar crow216 11:47 PM 01-03-2014
I need someone's help. I've had the GT50 for over a year and could never really get the settings right. I've tried every setting I've found on here, I've attempted to self-calibrate with a couple different discs, and overall I'm just fearing that I have a bad set that I waited too long to call Panasonic about.

First, I'm in a room without windows and have practically no light. It's a dark room. -

1- Both THX settings are so dark that I can barely make out any detail and the color is awful. Nothing pops, it all looks dull, the picture is soft, and it looks like there is a brown/grey shade over everything.
2 - Custom calibration settings produce far better color but the ABL is consistently triggered. Watching a hockey game is a terrible experience as you watch the screen go from dark when the ice is showing to bright when they switch to the announcers or players on the bench.
3 - I settled on Game for awhile to help increase the brightness but there's no denying that the picture quality suffers and the screen still isn't outputting enough light.

Now, I know it sounds like I just might not be used to a plasma picture but I assure you, I am. I'm not looking for an LED pop here. I just don't think the TV is working properly and my main assumption for that is just how terrible the THX modes look. I don't mean that they look ok, they are unwatchable.

ANY help or suggestions would be very appreciated.
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 11:50 PM 01-03-2014
Can you post all of your settings please?
crow216's Avatar crow216 12:09 AM 01-04-2014
Thanks for the reply.

Game
Contrast - 81
Brightness - 46
Color - 43
Tint +1
Sharpness - 24
Color Temp - Normal
Color mgmt off
cats off
video nr off
HDMI - Off

All others are default.
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 12:29 AM 01-04-2014
You've got a lot more work to do with the settings. If you want to try D-Nice's settings you'll have to go to high def junkies and join. If you find the CNet review you can try their settings too, the link to it is on the second page.

Otherwise, here are HDMaster's settings (I hope he doesn't mind):

HD-Master’s Settings GT50

NIGHT -

Picture Settings...

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 78
Brightness: 55
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings...

Color Space: Wide
W/B high R: -5
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: +3
W/B low R: +6
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: +8

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Aspect Adjustments...

Screen Format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2

HDMI Settings...
All defaults

Advanced Picture...

Block NR: Off
Mosquito Noise: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
1080p Pure Direct: On
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto
24p Direct In: 60Hz
Quote:
DAY -

Picture Settings...

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 55
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings...

Color Space: Wide
W/B high R: -9
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: +2
W/B low R: +10
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: +9

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Aspect Adjustments...

Screen Format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2

HDMI Settings...

All defaults

Advanced Picture...

Block NR: Off
Mosquito Noise: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
1080p Pure Direct: On
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto
24p Direct In: 60Hz
Quote:
VIERA Connect -

Picture Settings...

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 56
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings...

Color Space: Normal
W/B high R: +1
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: +5
W/B low R: +11
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: -3

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings...

All defaults

Advanced Picture...

Block NR: Off
Mosquito Noise: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Quote:
3D -

Picture Settings...

Picture Mode: Custom (3D)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 49
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm1
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings...

Color Space: Normal
W/B high R: -6
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: -7
W/B low R: +12
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: +2

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Aspect Adjustments...

Screen Format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2

HDMI Settings...

All defaults

Advanced Picture...

Block NR: Off (if available)
Mosquito Noise: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
1080p Pure Direct: On (if available)
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto (if available)
24p Direct In: 48Hz
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 12:32 AM 01-04-2014
Hmmm, I see four different sets of settings there. I'm not sure if they're all Master's, so please forgive me if they belong to someone else. Sometimes my filing is a bit sloppy. I can't pull up the ones I settled on because my GT50 is in the box waiting for a new home. I believe they're D-Nice settings though and I couldn't post those anyway.
crow216's Avatar crow216 01:15 AM 01-04-2014
I've tried those settings already. The problem is that sometimes the picture looks okay and I settle on it but then I'll do something like play a video game or put Avatar in and it looks dark and terrible. In other words, there are certain things that I am 100% sure don't look right and no matter what settings I try, they still look bad.

Is there anything I can do to stop the screen from looking like there is a grey film over it?
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 07:42 AM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Game
Contrast - 81
Brightness - 46
Color - 43
Tint +1
Sharpness - 24
Color Temp - Normal
Color mgmt off
cats off
video nr off
HDMI - Off

All others are default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

I've tried those settings already. The problem is that sometimes the picture looks okay and I settle on it but then I'll do something like play a video game or put Avatar in and it looks dark and terrible. In other words, there are certain things that I am 100% sure don't look right and no matter what settings I try, they still look bad.

Is there anything I can do to stop the screen from looking like there is a grey film over it?

Your response seems to indicate that you haven't applied all of the settings. Have you? Actually the settings you posted don't look like any I've seen, some of your numbers are low. Are you watching regular content in Game mode, or what other modes do you use for watching tv and movies? Does the "grey film" look appear on all modes? Is everything running directly into the tv or does it all go through an avr?
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171 07:49 AM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

I've tried those settings already. The problem is that sometimes the picture looks okay and I settle on it but then I'll do something like play a video game or put Avatar in and it looks dark and terrible. In other words, there are certain things that I am 100% sure don't look right and no matter what settings I try, they still look bad.

Is there anything I can do to stop the screen from looking like there is a grey film over it?

Put those settings in the un-named settings list. I used HD-Master's settings and my picture looks awesome.
tpollagi's Avatar tpollagi 11:34 AM 01-04-2014
1. Look and see where the eco/power saving switch is set. If its set to "saving" move it to "standard".

2.Something you may or may not realize is that each input has its own unique customizeable settings. You need to calibrate each input separately. When you switch to another input, it will start at the factory default "standard" and probably look pretty bad. You have to go in and set each input to where it looks optimal. You may be able to use the same or similar settings for each input but you have to manually enter them for each input separately. The settings for one input will not automatically transfer to any of the other inputs. This allows you to use "Custom" (for example) for each input but have completely different settings for Custom within each input.

For example, if you initially calibrated the TV on the antenna/cable input with the THX mode then switch to HDMI-1 for your BluRay player, the TV will switch back to standard. Once you change the settings in HDMI-1, they will stay where you put them but at some point you have to put them where you want them. You also need to do this for each input you use or when you switch to that input the TV will default to the factory "standard" for that input.

3.You may need significantly different settings on each input depending on what you are connecting to the TV. All of mine are about the same but your external components may be quite different. Most sources have their own customiezable video output that can be changed dramatically. If your components are outputting highly altered video, you may not be able to adjust the TV adequately no matter how hard you try.

4. Doubtful, but make sure the HDMI connectors and cables are undamaged and meet at least most of the newer standards. They don't have to be expensive but, at the same time they do need to be functional. I actually had to help a friend out who had a problem with generic POS cable; so it can happen.

5. If none of the above help, I would completely reset the entire TV to the factory defaults, reset each input device to its factory defaults, and start fresh. I use HDMaster's expanded color night settings but even the factory THX mode should give you a pretty good picture. In your "dark" room you should get a killer image without too much "fixen".

6. I guess its possible that a "bad set" can come out of a production run, but I'm not even sure what that means in real terms.

7. Adjusting to plasma is much harder in a bright room where an LED/LCD can produce a brighter image but exactly the opposite is true in a dark room like yours where the greater contrast ratio of plasma kills most LED/LCD sets. If you are expecting blinding white LED/LCD torch mode that makes you squint and look away from the set at night, it is't going to happen. Nor should you want it to. You absolutely should get a bright, vivid, saturated image with a deep black level that only looks a step above absolute black when the ambient lighting is zero and the picture is very dim.

Hope this helps
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 11:47 AM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post

I need someone's help. I've had the GT50 for over a year and could never really get the settings right. I've tried every setting I've found on here, I've attempted to self-calibrate with a couple different discs, and overall I'm just fearing that I have a bad set that I waited too long to call Panasonic about.

First, I'm in a room without windows and have practically no light. It's a dark room. -

1- Both THX settings are so dark that I can barely make out any detail and the color is awful. Nothing pops, it all looks dull, the picture is soft, and it looks like there is a brown/grey shade over everything.
2 - Custom calibration settings produce far better color but the ABL is consistently triggered. Watching a hockey game is a terrible experience as you watch the screen go from dark when the ice is showing to bright when they switch to the announcers or players on the bench.
3 - I settled on Game for awhile to help increase the brightness but there's no denying that the picture quality suffers and the screen still isn't outputting enough light.

Now, I know it sounds like I just might not be used to a plasma picture but I assure you, I am. I'm not looking for an LED pop here. I just don't think the TV is working properly and my main assumption for that is just how terrible the THX modes look. I don't mean that they look ok, they are unwatchable.

ANY help or suggestions would be very appreciated.


I actually experience the opposite. I have tried Cnets, Dnice, HD masters and they are all awesome settings. They look outstanding on my set but recently I switched to THX cinema and it looks so good that I kind off prefer it at the moment. Even Sports look outstanding. I don't know if it's the hours on the panel but THX cinema didn't look like this when I first purchased it. It seems strange to me that you feel it's not bright enough even in game mode? You have cats turned off , Eco energy saving power safe -standard?
DJones410's Avatar DJones410 09:43 AM 01-06-2014
I've had the GT50 now for just about a year and loving it! I'm now looking into an audio system and leaning towards a sound bar. Is anyone currently using one of these and have any recommendations? I know there is a separate audio threads, please forgive me in advance, was just hoping to get some feedback from other GT50 owners.
artur9's Avatar artur9 10:29 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post

I've had the GT50 now for just about a year and loving it! I'm now looking into an audio system and leaning towards a sound bar. Is anyone currently using one of these and have any recommendations? I know there is a separate audio threads, please forgive me in advance, was just hoping to get some feedback from other GT50 owners.

I have the older B&W soundbar, the Panorama I. That's very nice. I used to have a YSP-800 but it started to sound odd after several years. I liked it as well.

Lastly, I have had good experiences with Sonos. They make a Playbar, that combined with some Play1s for rears, would be very nice and versatile system.
DJones410's Avatar DJones410 10:52 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

I have the older B&W soundbar, the Panorama I. That's very nice. I used to have a YSP-800 but it started to sound odd after several years. I liked it as well.

Lastly, I have had good experiences with Sonos. They make a Playbar, that combined with some Play1s for rears, would be very nice and versatile system.

I've been leaning towards the Sonos Playbar, everything I've read seems to be positive with the big con being its price.
fpileggi's Avatar fpileggi 12:54 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post

I've been leaning towards the Sonos Playbar, everything I've read seems to be positive with the big con being its price.
Why a soundbar and not an AV receiver with speakers? No soundbar is going to give you that true immersion of DTS or DD. It's just glorified front speakers...
tpollagi's Avatar tpollagi 07:03 PM 01-06-2014
These are both reasonable options depending on what sound field and quality are desired. A sound bar can be very minimalistic and streamline whereas an AV receiver can deliver far better audio quality and real surround sound.

If you use you TV for movies, you are missing part of the experience if you don't take advantage of at least the 5.1 audio field with a receiver-speaker system but I also realize that such systems are not practical for everyone for a variety of reasons. Most flat panel TV's have abominable audio quality! The GT actually has very good sound compared to the majority of the others. That being said, you are going to need to sink some serious $$$ into a sound bar that will give an improvement worth the bother.

Let me throw out a 3'rd option. Use the TV's built in BlueTooth audio to pair with a BlueTooth audio reciever ($20 - 30) and use it to drive a set of amplified PC speakers. You can get inexpensive PC style 2-channel + sub kits for $50 - 100 that sound excellent and will provide ground pounding bass that I don't think is possible from a sound bar that doesn't include a separate sub and probably 3 - 6x the cost.

I'm obviously biased against sound bars based on price-to-performance but can see the appeal under some situations. If you are in a situation that requires a bar, you will need to pay-up for a top rated unit or you probably wont be happy with the sound difference.
Ryan25's Avatar Ryan25 07:25 PM 01-06-2014
Lepai 2020 amp and Dayton B652s were where I started. You can get the amp for $20 and the speakers for $50 from Amazon. I have since upgraded to a midrange AVR and some massive old Scott's that is a huge improvement. But the little Lepai and those Dayton's produced admirable sound for the price.
DJones410's Avatar DJones410 07:25 AM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post

Why a soundbar and not an AV receiver with speakers? No soundbar is going to give you that true immersion of DTS or DD. It's just glorified front speakers...

I'm looking at a sound bar as an alternative to running wires through the room. I don't consider myself a handy guy at all and although the thought of drilling a few holes into the ceiling sounds like fun, it also scares me how bad I could screw that up! So I was just tossing around the idea of going wireless. I understand it's limitations. I'm not yet entirely sold on the idea though.
jcwhammie's Avatar jcwhammie 07:38 AM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post

I'm looking at a sound bar as an alternative to running wires through the room. I don't consider myself a handy guy at all and although the thought of drilling a few holes into the ceiling sounds like fun, it also scares me how bad I could screw that up! So I was just tossing around the idea of going wireless. I understand it's limitations. I'm not yet entirely sold on the idea though.

How much are you willing to spend?
artur9's Avatar artur9 09:39 AM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post

I'm looking at a sound bar as an alternative to running wires through the room. I don't consider myself a handy guy at all and although the thought of drilling a few holes into the ceiling sounds like fun, it also scares me how bad I could screw that up! So I was just tossing around the idea of going wireless. I understand it's limitations. I'm not yet entirely sold on the idea though.

Doesn't the GT50 allow bluetooth connections for audio? If it does that might be a better bet than a soundbar with all its limitations.
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 10:11 AM 01-07-2014
I tried Sony's CT150 for several months in my small living room with the G25. I'd replaced a Sony 3.1 system with floor standing speakers- gave it to my son-in-law because it overpowered the room visually. I thought that a soundbar was the answer since we really don't even watch tv in that room very often. The speaker bar gets loud and adds dimension, especially base, that the G25 lacked, but the sound irritated me and never stopped- I never got used to it. When I replaced the G25 with a 50ST60, I realized that I no longer "need" the soundbar and sold it - to a young family man. I'm currently considering a Denon for that room (we have one in the family room), but it can wait. I think wireless speakers are getting better, and that, in terms of sound and reliability, this year might bring the best we've had yet.
sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 10:13 AM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post

I'm looking at a sound bar as an alternative to running wires through the room. I don't consider myself a handy guy at all and although the thought of drilling a few holes into the ceiling sounds like fun, it also scares me how bad I could screw that up! So I was just tossing around the idea of going wireless. I understand it's limitations. I'm not yet entirely sold on the idea though.

Doesn't the GT50 allow bluetooth connections for audio? If it does that might be a better bet than a soundbar with all its limitations.

Not complete bluetooth functionality - I believe that it's for head phones only.


Edit: I can't believe I wrote that, I meant to write that I thought the bluetooth was on for the glasses.
DJones410's Avatar DJones410 10:17 AM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post

How much are you willing to spend?

About $1000-1200.
jcwhammie's Avatar jcwhammie 11:07 AM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones410 View Post

About $1000-1200.

I've never listened to a soundbar in that price range. You can put together a solid 2.1 system. This way you will have few wires in the room. Will you be listening to music?
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 317  318  319 320  321  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop