Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 321 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9601 of 9827 Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Hi all ....

Love my 60GT50.. I'm using Cnet settings on Custom Mode.

Are there any other settings past the regular settings? I have a VT60 as well, and I use the professional settings on the VT..

Are there a hidden settings that I don't know about?

I use HD-Master's settings.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 9827 Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Hi all ....

Are there any other settings past the regular settings? I have a VT60 as well, and I use the professional settings on the VT..

Glad you are enjoying it, I enjoy mine everyday as well. There are other custom settings posted in this thread by different members. It is best to just search them as I have no right to post them.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #9603 of 9827 Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Hi all ....

Nope

Edit: I thought you were asking about settings for the cms or gray scale. If I was wrong, I apologize.

post #9604 of 9827 Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had a PM conversation with HD Master and he is in the process of upgrading to a new/different meter. He will rerun his tests and post the new settings. I do not know when this will happen but Stay Tuned!
I hope HD doesn't mind me posting this! :-)
sheshechic likes this.
post #9605 of 9827 Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

I had a PM conversation with HD Master and he is in the process of upgrading to a new/different meter. He will rerun his tests and post the new settings. I do not know when this will happen but Stay Tuned!
I hope HD doesn't mind me posting this! :-)

This is great news, I always look forward to trying out new settings even though I'm extremely happy with THX cinema setting at the moment. His settings are really good also so it will be interesting it he actually does do it.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #9606 of 9827 Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
Need a little help with two issues I'm having with my 55GT50.

1 - In the last 2 or 3 days, twice, there has been a loud buzzing coming from the panel shortly after turning it on (this set is very quiet normally and this buzz can be heard 20 ft away) which lasts for maybe a minute and then goes away. It has only happened twice now, but I'm wondering if my TV is about to die...would you do anything at this point, or just wait and see?

2 - Second issue is with the Xbox One. I have it hooked into the TV with HDMI of course (just like my X360, Sony BRay player, and Roku) - I only get sound from the X1 when it is set to output stereo. If I select 5.1, 7.1, or DTS I get no sound at all. The X360, BRay, and Roku all work just fine outputting 5.1 via HDMI to the TV. I really haven't been able to find any answers - one person said it was b/c the X1 is trying to set some "surround mode" on the TV, but I have no idea if that is true or what to do about it. I have tried it in a different HDMI port and with a different cable with no change. Any ideas aside from running the HDMI to a receiver first? Currently I have all my HDMI going into the TV and then the TV outputs over optical to my receiver.
post #9607 of 9827 Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Hi all ....

There are a ton of settings in the service mode, NONE of which should be touched by anyone less than a professional calibration tech. The user adjustable settings are pretty much all you need to dial in a top notch picture. Some of the settings are nested within other settings so you may have to go down into the menus past the top level.

CNet settings were good; i tried those and liked them and ran on those settings for a while. I switched to HDMaster's extended color nighttime settings quite a while back and prefer those with a couple of minor tweaks.

Enjoy
post #9608 of 9827 Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltDragon View Post

1 - In the last 2 or 3 days, twice, there has been a loud buzzing coming from the panel shortly after turning it on (this set is very quiet normally and this buzz can be heard 20 ft away) which lasts for maybe a minute and then goes away. It has only happened twice now, but I'm wondering if my TV is about to die...would you do anything at this point, or just wait and see?

2 - Second issue is with the Xbox One. I have it hooked into the TV with HDMI of course (just like my X360, Sony BRay player, and Roku) - I only get sound from the X1 when it is set to output stereo. If I select 5.1, 7.1, or DTS I get no sound at all. The X360, BRay, and Roku all work just fine outputting 5.1 via HDMI to the TV. I really haven't been able to find any answers - one person said it was b/c the X1 is trying to set some "surround mode" on the TV, but I have no idea if that is true or what to do about it. I have tried it in a different HDMI port and with a different cable with no change. Any ideas aside from running the HDMI to a receiver first? Currently I have all my HDMI going into the TV and then the TV outputs over optical to my receiver.

1. Are you under warrantee or expired ? My unit buzzed loudly once for about an hour then stopped and has not done it again. I don't think this is any significant indication that your TV is about to explode. If you are under warrantee, you may want to at least "file a report" even if you don't seek a tech. diagnosis and repair that may leave you with additional problems if you get a poor service tech. If the warrantee is expired, I would just wait and see if it becomes a constant problem.

2. Are you sure you ever got 5.1 out the optical jack when suppling 5.1 in by HDMI ? This is pretty much forbidden by digital copy protection. You certainly can get HDMI "pass through" using the HDMI ARC connection. The TV cuts down any recognizable HDMI signal to stereo when it outputs in on the optical out.

DTS is an encoded format. It will not be recognized by the GT50. 7.1 may or may not work depending on whether its an encoded format or has a separate DD 5.1 signal + an additional 2.0 signal. Standard Dolby Digital 5.1 should be no problem.

have to get back to work ....
post #9609 of 9827 Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

OK, i just quickly looked at some the XBox-1 specs for HDMI. I don't think it has an option for DD 5.1 audio out on HDMI, it has an option for "Uncompressed 5.1" which is not the same as DD 5.1. The GT just doesn't know what to do with Uncompressed 5.1, 7.1, or DTS so you are stuck with stereo if you want audio into the GT50 via HDMI.

As I suggested above, I don't see how you are getting more than stereo out of the GT optical anyway when the input source is HDMI. So, I dont think you are actually missing anything. If you want the multi-channel sound you will need to connect the components to your receiver directly or use the HDMI ARC with a receiver that has HDMI inputs and can handle uncompressed audio or at least the DTS encoded format.

That machine is pretty new, Microsoft may provide a software update to deal with this.
CobaltDragon likes this.
post #9610 of 9827 Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Mine did the same thing a few months ago and it never happened again. It's not going to die, lol.

2. I assume your receiver doesn't have HDMI. Otherwise I don't understand why you wouldn't connect all your components to your receiver first HDMI than to TV.. Try posting in the Xbone thread also, maybe someone can explain the problem you are having. Tpollagi is right about what he said.
CobaltDragon likes this.

post #9611 of 9827 Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

1. Mine did the same thing a few months ago and it never happened again. It's not going to die, lol.

2. I assume your receiver doesn't have HDMI. Otherwise I don't understand why you wouldn't connect all your components to your receiver first HDMI than to TV.. Try posting in the Xbone thread also, maybe someone can explain the problem you are having. Tpollagi is right about what he said.

Thanks. I didn't realize that about optical. I went and changed the setup so it works as so:

Blu-ray, Xbox360, Roku > TV HDMI ports 1,3,4
XboxOne > Receiver HDMI 1
Receiver Output > TV HDMI 2

This allows the Xbox1 to properly output 5.1 directly to the receiver, and everything else gets its sound piped back to the receiver via ARC on HDMI 2, while the XboxOne's video goes out to the TV over HDMI 2.
post #9612 of 9827 Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I didn't realize that about optical. I went and changed the setup so it works as so:

Blu-ray, Xbox360, Roku > TV HDMI ports 1,3,4
XboxOne > Receiver HDMI 1
Receiver Output > TV HDMI 2

This allows the Xbox1 to properly output 5.1 directly to the receiver, and everything else gets its sound piped back to the receiver via ARC on HDMI 2, while the XboxOne's video goes out to the TV over HDMI 2.

Glad you got it working the way you wanted. One question for you, how do you like the Xbox 1 for Bluray compared to your standalone player?

post #9613 of 9827 Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Glad you got it working the way you wanted. One question for you, how do you like the Xbox 1 for Bluray compared to your standalone player?

It's fine for me, but is basic at this point in the game. There is a bug right now where lip sync is broken for many when you have 24hz playback enabled...it's known, but a fix for that is still being waited for. Like the PS4, 3D bluray isn't supported yet, so it can't replace that if it's something you use. I think 3 - 6 months from now it will be a perfectly good replacement player for most people, once all the bugs are worked out. There's also a bug right now that newer blurays, which download and play a current trailer instead of having it burned on the disc, don't work properly and you can wait a very long time for those to get past that and go to the menu to actually play the feature. For those who are more picky, it will probably never have all the image and sound options that a higher end player will have.
post #9614 of 9827 Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's fine for me, but is basic at this point in the game. There is a bug right now where lip sync is broken for many when you have 24hz playback enabled...it's known, but a fix for that is still being waited for. Like the PS4, 3D bluray isn't supported yet, so it can't replace that if it's something you use. I think 3 - 6 months from now it will be a perfectly good replacement player for most people, once all the bugs are worked out. There's also a bug right now that newer blurays, which download and play a current trailer instead of having it burned on the disc, don't work properly and you can wait a very long time for those to get past that and go to the menu to actually play the feature. For those who are more picky, it will probably never have all the image and sound options that a higher end player will have.

Yeah , that's pretty much what I've heard. Bugs with both consoles. Hopefully they can work out the bugs soon enough. It must look awesome with games though huh? Have you played Ryse, Son of Rome? That game looks fantastic. So does Titanfall. I'm more of a PS4 guy but those games are very tempting.

post #9615 of 9827 Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Yeah , that's pretty much what I've heard. Bugs with both consoles. Hopefully they can work out the bugs soon enough. It must look awesome with games though huh? Have you played Ryse, Son of Rome? That game looks fantastic. So does Titanfall. I'm more of a PS4 guy but those games are very tempting.

Yes, Ryse is the best looking of any game I've seen on any of the 3 next gen systems. It is somewhat repetitive in gameplay, but I still found it to be very fun. More than once I saw the armor glint in the sun or have lighting from fire fall on it and I was truly convinced it could be real. It will be really neat to see what devs do with both systems given time to learn them and really squeeze out performance. I will probably get a PS4 at some point...I'm not really a fanboy for either side, just lean MS a bit.
post #9616 of 9827 Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM

Hi,

My TV shut off, and is now blinking 8 times. If I unplug it, it comes back on, but then a few minutes later it goes black again. I am looking for the thread mentioned about blinking lights, but I cannot find that thread. Does anyone have a link for it?

I am assuming that I will need to have someone replace a board.

(a) Is there a place that lists the official error codes so I can accurately diagnose the issue?
(b) Has anyone had a similar issue and successfully repaired it?

Many thanks.

AJ
post #9617 of 9827 Old 01-25-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aji23 View Post

Hi,

My TV shut off, and is now blinking 8 times. If I unplug it, it comes back on, but then a few minutes later it goes black again. I am looking for the thread mentioned about blinking lights, but I cannot find that thread. Does anyone have a link for it?

(a) Is there a place that lists the official error codes so I can accurately diagnose the issue?

Many thanks.

AJ

Uh oh , never heard of that problem, maybe call Pansonic service to see if they can help you. Unless someone else has some info on this matter. Good luck, AJ.

post #9618 of 9827 Old 01-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Hi guys - I got a 42gt50b sometime in Feb last year and recently I've been having issues with the wifi.

Sometimes I start up the tv and it's not connecting to the router - all my other devices that connect to the router work just fine but the tv won't find it.

I think it's something to do with the TV's wifi module rather than the router as when i go in the settings to see whether it can see the wifi networks the TV doesn't find any networks to connect to. So far I've had to reset the TV to factory settings to get it to reconnect to the wifi.

The connection came back once after i restarted it a few times but all the other times it hasn't done so.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix this, I'm getting quite infuriated by this.

Also i'm thinking of downgrading the firmware or just re-installing the current version.

Any help on that too?

post #9619 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

Many thanks.

AJ

I have followed this thread from the beginning and cant remember anyone ever posting Panasonic error codes here. I'm sure you can do a Bing / Google search and track down "blinking lights of death" for various Panasonic models over the years. I don't know if the error codes have the same meaning for each model.

My guess is a problem on the power supply board. Probably a capacitor that has gone out of its normal operating capacity or failed. (( Again, this is an "educated" guess)). If you have any electronics repair know how, this may be a simple repair with less than $1 in parts. I have had to do this with 2 Samsung LCD sets and discovered an entire cottage industry selling pre-packaged capacitor sets for rebuilding TV power supplies. As TV costs have come down the manufacturers are using lower and lower quality components that can fail much earlier than expected. If you need to have a repair shop "fix it" they will more than likely just replace the board for several hundred $$$. Most service centers don't do old-school repairs with small parts and soldering irons they just replace entire boards.

If you are still under warrantee, you just need to call Panasonic to set up a service call or whoever has the extended service contract that you may have.

Hope things work out.
post #9620 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt50london View Post

Hi guys - I got a 42gt50b sometime in Feb last year and recently I've been having issues with the wifi.
Sometimes I start up the tv and it's not connecting to the router - all my other devices that connect to the router work just fine but the tv won't find it.
I think it's something to do with the TV's wifi module rather than the router as when i go in the settings to see whether it can see the wifi networks the TV doesn't find any networks to connect to. So far I've had to reset the TV to factory settings to get it to reconnect to the wifi.
The connection came back once after i restarted it a few times but all the other times it hasn't done so.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix this, I'm getting quite infuriated by this.
Also i'm thinking of downgrading the firmware or just re-installing the current version.
Any help on that too?

Thanks smile.gif

I don't know of any way to downgrade the firmware. I don't even know where you would find old versions. From a "simple" software standpoint this sounds like something that could be done but most "smart" devices like to be updated and don't provide resources for "down-dating" firmware. Even after a full reset, the TV will boot-up with the same firmware it had before the reset.

Anyway, I don't think the firmware has anything to do with your recent problems. I have not had any problems with the WiFi on my GT50 or ST50 but in the past with some other devices I have had issues. Even if your other devices are working, I would do a rest of the router and a reset of the broadband modem. If you are using a dual band router look and see which band the GT50 is connected to. After the initial set-up, the GT50 will not frequency hop like some devices do. You may have put the GT50 on the 4.8 GHz band. This is OK if you have a reliable signal but if your router is at the other side of your house the 4.8 GHz signal may cutting out. When you connect the GT50 to the freshly reset network look at the signal strength of the two bands and connect to the stronger one ( which is usually the 2.4 GHz band ).

If you just cant get WiFi going on the GT50, you can always just plug it in using the LAN / wired cat5 connection. The recent crop of HomePlug adapters work very well and eliminate the need to string cat5 cable anywhere.
post #9621 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hi,

Many thanks.

AJ
These codes were from several years ago but will give you an idea of what to diagnose. Regardless a call to Panasonic is in order if still under warranty or if you have an EW.

============================================================ ===========
BLINKS PROBLEM MALFUNCTIONING PART
============================================================ ===========

1 blink STV 5v sense DG Board

2 blinks 15v SOS D Board

3 blinks 3.3v SOS D Board

4 blinks Power SOS P Board

5 blinks 5v SOS D Board

6 blinks Driver SOS 1 SU / SD / SC Boards
(SC energy recovery circuit)

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards
(SC floating voltage area)

8 blinks Driver SOS 3 SS Board
(SS energy recovery circuit)

9 blinks Panel Config. SOS

10 blinks Sub 5v SOS / Main 3v SOS DG Board
DTV 9v SOS / Tuner Power SOS

11 blinks Fan SOS PB Board

12 blinks Sound SOS H Board

13 blinks Communication error DG Board
with IC8001 (Pesks Lite 2)

Panel = Plasma Display Panel (Plasma Glass)
D Board = Format Converter / Plasma AL / Sub-Field Processor
DG Board = AC-DC Converter / Digital Signal Processor / Full HD
Microcumputer HDMI Interface / Peaks Lite 2
H Board = Speaker Out / Sound Processor
AV Terminal / AV Switch
P Board = Power Supply
PB Board = Fan Control
SC Board = Scan Drive
SD Board = Scan Out (Lower)
SS Board = Sustain Drive
SU Board = Scan Out (Upper)
post #9622 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11

Greetings, I have a Panasonic Plasma model # TC-P50GT50 I bought in May of 2012. The TV has been great until today when I was watching a show and all of a sudden it just turned off. Now when I turn it on I can hear a clicking from the lower left corner of the TV and I get a red blinking light that flashes 12 times. Any ideas? I've read from other posts that this code means it's the sound board (12 blinks Sound SOS H Board). If this is the case, I'd like to order a new board from ShopJimmy, but how do I determine the part number?...or even which board is the sound board? Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone else had this issue with their GT50?

Thanks. Rob

post #9623 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1717 View Post

Greetings, I have a Panasonic Plasma model # TC-P50GT50 I bought in May of 2012. The TV has been great until today when I was watching a show and all of a sudden it just turned off. Now when I turn it on I can hear a clicking from the lower left corner of the TV and I get a red blinking light that flashes 12 times. Any ideas? I've read from other posts that this code means it's the sound board (12 blinks Sound SOS H Board). If this is the case, I'd like to order a new board from ShopJimmy, but how do I determine the part number?...or even which board is the sound board? Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone else had this issue with their GT50?
Thanks. Rob

If you have the skill, pull the back cover off and see where the clicking is coming from. The part number should be on the board. Sometimes they put the board name on the CCA. Either buy a new one or have that one fixed.
Rob1717 likes this.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #9624 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1717 View Post

Thanks. Rob

Based on the Panasonic troubleshooting guide for 15'th generation 2012 plasma ST sets slide 29 (which are probably similar to the GT series but I give no guanantee) 12 blinks is the A-board or one of the speakers. The test is to unplug to TV, disconnect connector A12 from the A board then plug in and turn on the TV. If the TV still shuts down with 12 blinks you need to replace (or repair) the A board. If the TV stays on, you need to disconnect each speaker one at a time and determine which one is defective.

Speakers usually don't just short-out, so my guess is the A-board.

Hope this helps.
post #9625 of 9827 Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

Many thanks.

AJ

Based on the 2012 Panasonic plasma trouble shooting guide for the ST model (which is probably similar to the GT but I cant say for sure) slide 27 suggests the most possible cause is the SS board, followed by the A board, the SS2 board, or (cringe) the panel. The diagnostic procedure isn't too complicated, but is probably beyond the abilities of most people without some background in electronics repair. Where do you stand on that front ?
post #9626 of 9827 Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with fluctuating brightness? I've had this for a little over a year and in the last week I have noticed that when I first turn the TV on the brightness increases and decreases. It seems like this was a issue with older models. Thanks.
post #9627 of 9827 Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with fluctuating brightness? I've had this for a little over a year and in the last week I have noticed that when I first turn the TV on the brightness increases and decreases. It seems like this was a issue with older models. Thanks.

Do you have CATTS off? And energy saving to standard?

post #9628 of 9827 Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM

Yep CATS is off and the energy is set to standard. It's only when I turn the TV on and it last a few minutes and then I have no issues with the picture. Any ideas?
post #9629 of 9827 Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Is it across the whole image or just in the bright parts?

post #9630 of 9827 Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 PM

Good question and the I would say bright parts. Some examples would be people's faces, or when I pull up the guide the letters of the different program names. and when I play my 2k14 on my PS3 I notice the floor of the court is pulsating brighter.

It's the 65" unit and the chain is Direct TV Genie >Marantz receiver>TV. At first I thought it was my Darbee unit but that has been taken out. I then thought it was a Direct TV issue but it showed up while playing the PS3. It's either the TV or maybe the Marantz receiver??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread