Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 322 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9631 of 9787 Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Good question and the I would say bright parts. Some examples would be people's faces, or when I pull up the guide the letters of the different program names. and when I play my 2k14 on my PS3 I notice the floor of the court is pulsating brighter.

It's the 65" unit and the chain is Direct TV Genie >Marantz receiver>TV. At first I thought it was my Darbee unit but that has been taken out. I then thought it was a Direct TV issue but it showed up while playing the PS3. It's either the TV or maybe the Marantz receiver??

This is the first I've heard of fluctuating brights on this model. I have a 60" and it doesn't happen on mine (knock wood). Do you still have warranty left on it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9787 Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nope I'm already past the 1 year mark so it will cost me if I do get it fixed. This weekend I'm going to try and feed everything direct to the TV to make sure it's not the receiver. I'm also going to try a different HDMI port to see if it happening on all of them or just certain ones. I figure if I can isolate the problem it won't take a tech as long to figure out the issue.
post #9633 of 9787 Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I gave it a try with the TV; worked fine. The GT wanted a password for the connection and recommended 1234 so I tried that and it paired without any hesitation. GT gives the option to disable the internal speaker when using the wireless audio connection. Volume works just as it should with the GT's remote. Very simple set-up overall. After suggesting this option several times in the past I guess it was about time to confirm that it actually works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post

Today I received my bluetooth headphones. From Amazon I purchased a set of Creative WP-450's. At first I plugged them into my iPod Touch and paired them. Worked and played perfect. I then went into Setup on my GT50 and selected Bluetooth settings. Selected Bluetooth Devices and it quickly found my 450's. When I went to connect them it asked for a password. I entered 0000 as is a standard for many devices. It synced perfectly. The GT50 will mute its speakers and the master volume from the TV will change from just volume to Bluetooth volume. They sounded fine to my ears. No lip sync issues. Hope this helps anyone interested in using BT headphones.
Quote:

As others have pointed out the optical is fixed but the Bluetooth is variable and is controlled by the TV's volume control. So, you may want to look for a Bluetooth solution. Either a dedicated Bluetooth speaker set or a Bluetooth audio adapter that will tie into your speaker set.

Hi, I connected the JBL Flip BT speaker using bluetooth to my parents' P50GT50 to put next to my mom's chair because her hearing isn't great. Changing the TV volume does not change it on the Flip. Mute doesn't work either. There are some sync quirks as well. FYI I am not disabling the TV speakers when doing this...

While I can get a connection and the sound is good, changing the volume on the TV has no impact on the Flip. The flip has its own amp and volume buttons but it would be great if the TV remote would change the volume too... Also the mute doesn't work either.

Another issue is sync. At first I had to sync the Flip with the TV and using the TV bluetooth sync utility I matched the bouncing ball and sound perfectly. It worked great for about ten minutes then all of a sudden the sync was off... The bouncing ball still synced with the sound but the actual sound and lips on the TV no longer synced. I had to adjust the sync on the utility a bit to get the Flip speaker to match the TV even though the utility ball bounce itself was way off. I'm now worried it will go out of syn again at some point. My parents will not be able to fix this. Too technical though easy for us.

So my question is why is the TV volume change not changing the volume on the flip while it does so on the BT headphones? Both are technically powered/amplified speakers...
post #9634 of 9787 Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmunsey View Post

Hi, I connected the JBL Flip BT speaker using bluetooth to my parents' P50GT50 to put next to my mom's chair because her hearing isn't great. Changing the TV volume does not change it on the Flip. Mute doesn't work either. There are some sync quirks as well. FYI I am not disabling the TV speakers when doing this...

While I can get a connection and the sound is good, changing the volume on the TV has no impact on the Flip. The flip has its own amp and volume buttons but it would be great if the TV remote would change the volume too... Also the mute doesn't work either.

Another issue is sync. At first I had to sync the Flip with the TV and using the TV bluetooth sync utility I matched the bouncing ball and sound perfectly. It worked great for about ten minutes then all of a sudden the sync was off... The bouncing ball still synced with the sound but the actual sound and lips on the TV no longer synced. I had to adjust the sync on the utility a bit to get the Flip speaker to match the TV even though the utility ball bounce itself was way off. I'm now worried it will go out of syn again at some point. My parents will not be able to fix this. Too technical though easy for us.

So my question is why is the TV volume change not changing the volume on the flip while it does so on the BT headphones? Both are technically powered/amplified speakers...

Under the TV's Bluetooth settings there is an option for "audio out" and can be set to ALL or BLUETOOTH ONLY. If its set to "all" then BOTH the internal speakers and bluetooth output are active. In this mode the volume buttons on the remote control the internal speakers normally but not the bluetooth output. To change the volume of the bluetooth speaker(s) you need to go to the bluetooth set-up options and adjust the bluetooth volume separately.

If you set the "audio out" to BLUETOOTH ONLY the TV's internal speakers are disabled and the remote control's volume buttons take direct control of the bluetooth volume. The on-screen indicator at the bottom of the image will change from VOL to Bluetooth VOL.

I cant give a "simple" way to simultaneously control both the internal and bluetooth speakers at the same time.

As for the lip-sync, there are two options here also; auto and manual. The bouncy ball is the set-up helper for the manual mode ( as you obviously know). If the TV is loosing sync in the manual mode you might want to switch to the auto mode and see how that behaves.

By using the bluetooth speaker ONLY, you may find both of these issues go away. First, the volume on the remote will function as you desire. Second, with only one speaker at one distance from your ear your brain will "auto sync" the sound and picture rather than creating an echo effect. Your brain will re-sync or not notice out-of-sync timing that is between about +20 to -40 ms (average viewers) but can easily detect when two different speakers are just slightly out of time sync with each other.

Hope this helps.
post #9635 of 9787 Old 02-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Well after trying a few different configurations I'm positive it's the TV causing the brightness issue. Live chatted with Panasonic and they pointed me to a service center so we will see what this is going to cost me. I'll report back what the issue is and fix.
post #9636 of 9787 Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Well after trying a few different configurations I'm positive it's the TV causing the brightness issue. Live chatted with Panasonic and they pointed me to a service center so we will see what this is going to cost me. I'll report back what the issue is and fix.

That' s unfortunate, hope it works out for you, from what I can recall, you are the only person that has experience this. Let us know what happens or if you find the source of the problem.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9637 of 9787 Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM

So I'm still waiting to connect with the local tech but wanted to give a quick interesting update to my issue. When I had done the chat with Panasonic they suggested I restore the TV to factory settings to see if it fixed the issue. It didn't but since all my settings were lost I decided to just keep the TV in the THX mode and so far no issue??? Put it back in custom and the issue is back. Not sure one mode would be affected and another would not.
sheshechic likes this.
post #9638 of 9787 Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 PM

PC input (limited to 768p so it's kinda useless)???

Is that through HDMI? So thats why my apparent huge bluray files on my laptop wont play quite to the quality as a bluray disk through my laptop to TV! 

post #9639 of 9787 Old 02-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2pie View Post

Is that through HDMI?

No. DB15 (VGA).
post #9640 of 9787 Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:

Is that through HDMI? So thats why my apparent huge bluray files on my laptop wont play quite to the quality as a bluray disk through my laptop to TV! 

With HDMI, you should have no problem playing files from your computer. It was designed to carry a higher bandwidth.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #9641 of 9787 Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI = 1080p. biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9642 of 9787 Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure anyone else has seen this but my 55GT50 has developed what I can only describe as a faint green haze in a couple areas on the screen. It also has burn in that developed well after 200hours of use. The tv tech that SquareTrade sent out said the entire panel was going bad. He didn't dig much further than just visually acknowledge the issue and took pictures to verify. Should I expect some kind of scrap allowance from SquareTrade? Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with them and how they operate in a situation like this.
post #9643 of 9787 Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

Not sure anyone else has seen this but my 55GT50 has developed what I can only describe as a faint green haze in a couple areas on the screen. It also has burn in that developed well after 200hours of use. The tv tech that SquareTrade sent out said the entire panel was going bad. He didn't dig much further than just visually acknowledge the issue and took pictures to verify. Should I expect some kind of scrap allowance from SquareTrade? Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with them and how they operate in a situation like this.
If repair costs more than how their policy defines the value of your set, they will offer you that value instead of repair. All offers are negotiable if you can make a good case. If they offer you the cost to replace your set, or the price that you paid for it, then you have an outstanding policy.
post #9644 of 9787 Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM

Does any one have any recommended/calibrated settings when running in Game Mode?
post #9645 of 9787 Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Contrast (75)
Brightness (0)
Colour (48)
Sharpness (0)
Tint (-2)
Colour Balance (WARM)
Gamma 2.6
post #9646 of 9787 Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowofBob View Post

Does any one have any recommended/calibrated settings when running in Game Mode?

Game mode has the unfortunate side-effect of enabling both of the terrible dynamic contrast features: black "enhancement" and actual dynamic contrast. The first crushes blacks (makes near-black areas of the image pure black, so you lose detail there) and the second makes near full-brightness areas 100% bright (again losing detail, this time at the upper end). While there's nothing you can do about the black crushing, you can kill the actual dynamic contrast by picking "graphics" as your "content type" for that HDMI input.

You can confirm that it's worked by looking at the contrast images here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php ... By default game mode will make the top end of each of those bars into a single color (the maximum value of that color), while "graphics" content type should fix it.

There's nothing you can do about the black crushing as I mentioned, but you can counteract it a bit by increasing the "brightness" value above 50 (actually on my panel a brightness of around 55 is required on all modes in order to show the lowest possible grey on a test pattern (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php) while maintaining proper black anyway). Because of the black crushing, in most game scenes you can take brightness even higher without actually losing pure black (because the TV is adjusting the point of pure black upwards). Unfortunately this will ruin your blacks if you ever do encounter an almost entirely black scene (because in this case the black "enhancer" backs off a bit so that it doesn't completely destroy the detail in the scene).
ShadowofBob likes this.
post #9647 of 9787 Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

Game mode has the unfortunate side-effect of enabling both of the terrible dynamic contrast features: black "enhancement" and actual dynamic contrast. The first crushes blacks (makes near-black areas of the image pure black, so you lose detail there) and the second makes near full-brightness areas 100% bright (again losing detail, this time at the upper end). While there's nothing you can do about the black crushing, you can kill the actual dynamic contrast by picking "graphics" as your "content type" for that HDMI input.

You can confirm that it's worked by looking at the contrast images here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php ... By default game mode will make the top end of each of those bars into a single color (the maximum value of that color), while "graphics" content type should fix it.

There's nothing you can do about the black crushing as I mentioned, but you can counteract it a bit by increasing the "brightness" value above 50 (actually on my panel a brightness of around 55 is required on all modes in order to show the lowest possible grey on a test pattern (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php) while maintaining proper black anyway). Because of the black crushing, in most game scenes you can take brightness even higher without actually losing pure black (because the TV is adjusting the point of pure black upwards). Unfortunately this will ruin your blacks if you ever do encounter an almost entirely black scene (because in this case the black "enhancer" backs off a bit so that it doesn't completely destroy the detail in the scene).

Thanks for the tip about the HDMI content type. That definitely helps with the colors a lot. I was hoping that settings could disable that or at least mitigate the black crushing somewhat, but I don't usually play in game mode anyways unless its a twitch FPS. The lag is minimal enough on Custom or the other modes that its not a big deal.
post #9648 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 AM

Does HDMI Content type Graphics differ that much from the default Off setting? Reason being is I'd like the leave the Graphics mode on since I do use Game mode occasionally, but am wondering if it will have any major changes to my Custom settings (using BlackOps recommended settings) for when watching streaming content/HD-DVDs from the Xbox. I looked briefly last night and was hard pressed to notice a major difference to having the HDMI content type off or graphics when in Custom setting.
post #9649 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 01:09 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help, I have a few questions regarding hard drives and the GT50, I am sorry if this has been posted in the wrong thread/section.

I am currently have a portable (USB powered), 1TB USB 3 hard drive, every now and then (about 40% of the time) the TV will not accept the hard drive due to an 'overcurrent', is this normal or is my TV playing up? I am only trying to watch content from the hard drive not record to it.

I was thinking of changing to a 2TB external (mains powered) hard drive, do you think that would stop the over current issues I am currently having? The external is also USB3.

If I do change to the external one, would I be able to partion it to make two virtual hard drives, one formatted to record directly from the TV and one formatted so I could upload content to it from different sources?

Sorry if all of this seems obvious to most.

Thanks in advance for any help?
post #9650 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technophobe1987 View Post

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help, I have a few questions regarding hard drives and the GT50, I am sorry if this has been posted in the wrong thread/section.

I am currently have a portable (USB powered), 1TB USB 3 hard drive, every now and then (about 40% of the time) the TV will not accept the hard drive due to an 'overcurrent', is this normal or is my TV playing up? I am only trying to watch content from the hard drive not record to it.

I was thinking of changing to a 2TB external (mains powered) hard drive, do you think that would stop the over current issues I am currently having? The external is also USB3.

If I do change to the external one, would I be able to partion it to make two virtual hard drives, one formatted to record directly from the TV and one formatted so I could upload content to it from different sources?

The USB ports don't have anything written on them noting that one supplies more amps for an attached hard drive like some newer TVs have. I think they probably provide no more than 500 ma like as is noted on the 2013 ST/VT/ZT60. Trying a powered hard drive definitely might help. As far as the partition question, that I am not sure of; especially since US Panasonic TV's can't record content.. If you have a spare you could try formatting one like that and see if that works. Another option that definitely would work would be to use two separate drives, one on each USB port.
post #9651 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Under the GT50 specs, it says it supports USB 2.0. That might be your problem.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #9652 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Try what others suggested first if it works but if you want a simple solution you can buy any media players and it's plug and play. The only setback is they will cost anywhere from $70-100. For the ultimate solution a HTPC is the way to go.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

post #9653 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

I'm surprised any spinning hard drive would be powered by USB. An external power supply would certainly correct any power issues. The GT 50 is USB 2 but since USB 3 is fully backward compatible this shouldn't matter. You may or may not have problems formatting a 2 TB drive for the GT50. I dont remember which type of file structures and formatting options are compatible. I do remember my 3 TB drive would not even be recognized by the GT50. I highly recommend a separate external media player and bypassing all the limitations of the built in player. Formatting the drive as multiple logical drives would get arounf any size limitations but there is no way to record video from the GT50 on USB, or any other TV for that matter. It would violate every section of the digital copyrite laws. The USB is for data input not output.
post #9654 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm surprised any spinning hard drive would be powered by USB. An external power supply would certainly correct any power issues. The GT 50 is USB 2 but since USB 3 is fully backward compatible this shouldn't matter. You may or may not have problems formatting a 2 TB drive for the GT50. I dont remember which type of file structures and formatting options are compatible. I do remember my 3 TB drive would not even be recognized by the GT50. I highly recommend a separate external media player and bypassing all the limitations of the built in player. Formatting the drive as multiple logical drives would get arounf any size limitations but there is no way to record video from the GT50 on USB, or any other TV for that matter. It would violate every section of the digital copyrite laws. The USB is for data input not output.

The GT50 ACCEPTS UP TO USB 2.0.

The HDD he is using is PUTTING OUT USB 3.0.

The TV would have to have USB 3.0, which is backward compatible, but it isn't.

I have a powered adapter for a spinning HDD that has USB as an output.

post #9655 of 9787 Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:

In the rest of the world Panasonic TVs for the last few years have had rudimentary built in DVR functionality for over the air broadcasts. It is because of US broadcasters (since technically it is legal to timeshift TV) fighting back that Panasonic chose not to keep this function in for North America. Instead of a SD/USB button on the remotes there is a record button in the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

USB 3.0 works with 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0, you just won't get the speed of the 3.0 drive. His hard drive will function fine data wise being hooked up to the USB 2.0 ports of the TV. The power issue is all dependent on how much power his hard drive needs to operate. The USB ports on the TV are limited to providing 500ma so if his hard drive doesn't need more than that (most 2.5" drives will operate fine off just USB power hence why they are used for portable hard drives) it should be fine.

I would also suggest trying another USB cable as well. I have had issues with external 2.5" hard drives not being recognized with smaller gauge USB cables before.
post #9656 of 9787 Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 AM

Thank you for the response, I have picked up a new 2TB, USB 3, mains powered hardrive and it has resolved the over current issue as many have you said may happen. I now have the functionality to pause, rewind and record TV which is great.

However my computer is not giving me the option to shrink the portion which has recently been formateed by the TV, does anyone know a way around this so I can create a new partition?

Thanks Again.
post #9657 of 9787 Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

The TV accepts USB. It is compliant with the standard up to and including all the features incorporated into version 2. It will work with USB 3 and 4, 5, and 6 when they are released but it will only give the functionality up to USB 2.

I'm surprised about the power but accept the fact that the power draw of newer drives is low enough to work with USB power. Wow, I have a couple of USB memory sticks that cause overcurrent problems on a Dell desktop at work.
post #9658 of 9787 Old 02-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hey all.

It's been a while. I've had my 60GT50 for about 18 months. Absolutely love it.

I have been noticing a slight problem with the picture shuttering. I thought it might be my Apple TV, but I've noticed it when I'm watching Directv as well. All of my sources run through a Pioneer Elite SC-61 receiver. The picture will make like it is on a slow motion occasionally. The picture doesn't actually slow down but it shutters. It doesn't do it all the time. But enough that I notice it. I've NEVER had this problem before.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with my picture settings. I recently started using the Custom setting (CNET Settings). I used to use tTHX Cinema.

Any thoughts anyone?

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #9659 of 9787 Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Hey all.

It's been a while. I've had my 60GT50 for about 18 months. Absolutely love it.

I have been noticing a slight problem with the picture shuttering. I thought it might be my Apple TV, but I've noticed it when I'm watching Directv as well. All of my sources run through a Pioneer Elite SC-61 receiver. The picture will make like it is on a slow motion occasionally. The picture doesn't actually slow down but it shutters. It doesn't do it all the time. But enough that I notice it. I've NEVER had this problem before.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with my picture settings. I recently started using the Custom setting (CNET Settings). I used to use tTHX Cinema.

Any thoughts anyone?

That is strange, are you using your pioneer up scaling? Try bypassing the receiver , hook it up directly to TV HDMI, that will tell you for sure if it's your receiver or TV. Make sure your cables are tightly pushed in, sometimes they get loose and cause problems. Or it could be the cables itself , good luck.

post #9660 of 9787 Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

We watched this movie last night "Ender's Game". It looked amazing on the GT50, we were very impressed with the detail in the movie, highly recommend it to any Sci-Fi fan.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page