Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 324 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9691 of 9828 Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Anyone here no of a good way to beam movies to the TV? I tried loading movies onto a HDD but that doesn't seem to work. A flash drive works just fine for some reason but when putting a few movies on an HDD nothing seems to show up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 9828 Old 03-19-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I use my xbox360 its a great media extender. You just need to set up windows media center on xbox360.

post #9693 of 9828 Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Anyone here no of a good way to beam movies to the TV? I tried loading movies onto a HDD but that doesn't seem to work. A flash drive works just fine for some reason but when putting a few movies on an HDD nothing seems to show up.

HDD will run OK but there are size and format restrictions for the drive as well as specific file types, sizes, resolutions, codec, audio, frame rate ....

Its just simpler to put everything on the HDD then plug it into a media player. Plug the media player into the TV and all of the limitations of the built in media player are gone.
post #9694 of 9828 Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

HDD will run OK but there are size and format restrictions for the drive as well as specific file types, sizes, resolutions, codec, audio, frame rate ....

Its just simpler to put everything on the HDD then plug it into a media player. Plug the media player into the TV and all of the limitations of the built in media player are gone.

Is there something I can buy that does that? Sounds ideal. biggrin.gif
post #9695 of 9828 Old 03-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Personally, I think a Playstation3 is probably the most practical thing for the purpose of keeping movies on a HDD for playback. You might even found other uses for it.

Otherwise there's a whole forum about media players
post #9696 of 9828 Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sure is !

A game unit is fine if you are a gamer but otherwise its a very expensive option. Go to Amazon and search media player. Check out some of the more popular units and read some reviews. This will give you a brief intro to the subject and a general idea of what is out there.

I am using a Pivos AIOS unit. Its a couple years old and may have been outdone by many newer units but it works well. At the time I got it there were very few choices; now there are dozens to choose from. The only thing mine wont do is full 1080p 3D. It doesnt have support for HDMI 1.4 but I dont care enough to upgrade.

As the prior post suggests, you can also check out a media player forum.
post #9697 of 9828 Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

To use a HD on these tv's you need a powered unit that is 2TB or smaller. Larger than 2TB can't be read by these tv's. Portable drives need more power than the tv provides. If you have a win7 PC you can use the DLNA feature wired or wirelessly. You will be limited by audio codecs. To play MKV's I had to download a codec on the PC then they played fine.

None of that compares to using a media player as mentioned. I have a Boxee and Aios, both work well and each has pluses and minuses. The Boxee is a great player but won't do HD audio. The Aios has a place for a 3.5in HD, I put each movie in a folder with a jpeg and now it has a nice jukebox, the remote is laggy but plays HD audio. Either would be good candidates.
post #9698 of 9828 Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I use Roku and Plex (free).

post #9699 of 9828 Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, thank you all so much for the advice! Will look into these options. I was trying to run an external HDD at 1st but the whole not enough power thing makes sense. I think I'll look into the media player options as that seems to be the best options.
post #9700 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I cant seem to find my answer so I am going to ask.
How do I lock custom picture mode to the BR input on GT50?

When playing DVD's on the BR the picture mode powers on and remains Custom.
As soon as I start a BR the picture mode changes to Cinema and I have to manually change it to back to Custom.

Pan 210 BR > HDMI > GT50
Vieira power link off but can control BR with GT50 remote thru GT50 via HDMI

What do I have set wrong?
Thank you for your time.
post #9701 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Liked: 22
I've been using the built-in Netflix app on my GT50 for a while. Something annoying that's been happening from the start was that it always keeps bouncing back and forth between SD and HD streaming, and when in HD it also bounces back and forth quite often between 1080p and 720p. I figured it was my internet connection that was causing this so I never pursued any solution. What's most annoying about this flipping between definitions is that every time it switches there's an ever so slight flicker (almost as though the image goes black for a micro second before going back to normal) - it's so minimal that my wife doesn't notice it much but I guess I'm sensitive to it so I definitely see it and it's quite annoying.

Anyhow, I got my son a Wii U around Christmas but it wasn't until this week that I started playing with the Netflix app on it. Wow what a difference between it and the one on my GT50. Netflix on the U almost instantly goes to 1080p SUPER HD and stays there the whole time, no going back and forth at all. This surprised me as both the GT50 and the Wii U are in the same location, with the same distance away from my wifi router. If anything the Wii U is in a somewhat worse location in that it's stuffed inside my closed media cabinet.

I guess I'll be using the Wii U from now on for Netflix instead of the built in app on the GT50, but I'm still curious as to why the difference between the two. Could the wifi receiver on the GT50 be inferior, or is it more likely that the Netflix app itself on the GT50 is poor?
post #9702 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

I've been using the built-in Netflix app on my GT50 for a while. Something annoying that's been happening from the start was that it always keeps bouncing back and forth between SD and HD streaming, and when in HD it also bounces back and forth quite often between 1080p and 720p. I figured it was my internet connection that was causing this so I never pursued any solution. What's most annoying about this flipping between definitions is that every time it switches there's an ever so slight flicker (almost as though the image goes black for a micro second before going back to normal) - it's so minimal that my wife doesn't notice it much but I guess I'm sensitive to it so I definitely see it and it's quite annoying.

Anyhow, I got my son a Wii U around Christmas but it wasn't until this week that I started playing with the Netflix app on it. Wow what a difference between it and the one on my GT50. Netflix on the U almost instantly goes to 1080p SUPER HD and stays there the whole time, no going back and forth at all. This surprised me as both the GT50 and the Wii U are in the same location, with the same distance away from my wifi router. If anything the Wii U is in a somewhat worse location in that it's stuffed inside my closed media cabinet.

I guess I'll be using the Wii U from now on for Netflix instead of the built in app on the GT50, but I'm still curious as to why the difference between the two. Could the wifi receiver on the GT50 be inferior, or is it more likely that the Netflix app itself on the GT50 is poor?

Your Netflix app is being throttled back by your ISP for the TV. No throttling for the U.

Certain devices have an automatic "open" bandwidth for Netflix. Less popular devices that have the Netflix app gets throttled back for bandwidth by the ISP.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #9703 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have the recommended picture settings for Xbox 360/One/PS3/4?

Or general video game picture settings?

Looked through the thread and through D-Nice settings thread for this model and can't find them anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
post #9704 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaxv View Post

Does anyone have the recommended picture settings for Xbox 360/One/PS3/4?

Or general video game picture settings?

Looked through the thread and through D-Nice settings thread for this model and can't find them anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

There are no recommended settings for Game consoles. Other than custom settings by calibrators or game mode. I use either HD master/Dnice custom settings or Game mode with proper settings on my PS3 with games. They look phenomenal.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #9705 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Your Netflix app is being throttled back by your ISP for the TV. No throttling for the U.

Certain devices have an automatic "open" bandwidth for Netflix. Less popular devices that have the Netflix app gets throttled back for bandwidth by the ISP.

Interesting info, thanks. I had no idea some ISP have the capability to throttle certain devices. That's a little concerning.
post #9706 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

Interesting info, thanks. I had no idea some ISP have the capability to throttle certain devices. That's a little concerning.

Seems like Netflix partners up with certain ISP's (Comcast) to deliver wide open bandwidth to certain popular devices that have a lot of consumers. The not-so-popular devices have fewer consumers, so they get throttled. Gonna get worse once Comcast buys Time Warner.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #9707 of 9828 Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
I've always understood that the low sales volume devices, like OPPO's players, don't have the best Netflix software developed for them. I think that's in addition to what a provider might do to the traffic from Netflix. Until the current Netflix/Comcast agreement, all Comcast had to do to disrupt Netflix customers was cause the bandwidth to vary which in turn caused the Netflix software to drop down to a safer speed.
post #9708 of 9828 Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm having a small problem with my GT60. It's an incredible tv. But I'm having a small issue where I noticed the frame rate will slow to the point of noticablity. Almost like its on slow montion when your FF on a bluray. It will only happen for 2 seconds or so but multiple times during a movie. I noticed it only happens when I'm watching recorded tv or Apple TV.

Could this be the HDMI? I know it's a High Speed large gauge cable. And my GT is 600+ Hz. So it should be fine. It never happens when I'm watching Bluray.

Thoughts anyone??

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #9709 of 9828 Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, so i have a 2 year old 55" P55GT50, and i'm having a problem that i noticed a few months ago...

for some reason, whenever there's a line next to a face, a band continues onto the face where the line left off. so basically, i will see a dark band (it's darker than the skin tone, and definitely noticable) on the face where the line ends and the face starts, and the band usually goes the entire length of the face. this is the only problem like this that i've noticed, and everything else about the set still looks great, except for this. i've always seemed to notice it when the face is on the left side and the line is on the right side, but i don't know if that's just me or not...

it's hard to take a pic of it, but it's most noticeable when watching Real Time with Bill Maher, which is the first time i remember seeing it. he always has those bright lines of light in the background, behind him, and it's ALWAYS very noticeable on his face during his show. i've tried different settings, changed the cable, changed the HDMI port and i actually even switched from Optimum to Fios when i moved and it still happens so it's not the source. it also happened during a scene from 8mm when Nicolas Cage was standing the immediate left of a set of white horizontal blinds, and there were rows of dark bands on his face for every blind...

has anyone heard of anything like this before?! the set was manufactured in December 2011...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #9710 of 9828 Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

ok, so i have a 2 year old 55" P55GT50, and i'm having a problem that i noticed a few months ago...

for some reason, whenever there's a line next to a face, a band continues onto the face where the line left off. so basically, i will see a dark band (it's darker than the skin tone, and definitely noticable) on the face where the line ends and the face starts, and the band usually goes the entire length of the face. this is the only problem like this that i've noticed, and everything else about the set still looks great, except for this. i've always seemed to notice it when the face is on the left side and the line is on the right side, but i don't know if that's just me or not...

it's hard to take a pic of it, but it's most noticeable when watching Real Time with Bill Maher, which is the first time i remember seeing it. he always has those bright lines of light in the background, behind him, and it's ALWAYS very noticeable on his face during his show. i've tried different settings, changed the cable, changed the HDMI port and i actually even switched from Optimum to Fios when i moved and it still happens so it's not the source. it also happened during a scene from 8mm when Nicolas Cage was standing the immediate left of a set of white horizontal blinds, and there were rows of dark bands on his face for every blind...

has anyone heard of anything like this before?! the set was manufactured in December 2011...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

This is a plasma screen phenomena called "line bleed". If you do a web search you can easily track down tons of discussion and photos of the very thing you are describing. It is not a problem specific to the GT50. It is an issue with "all" plasma displays in general. Some models will show it more than others. I have seen it occasionally on my 60gt50 but I cant remember the last time I actually noticed it.

Are you indicating that your set never displayed line-bleed in the past but now is, OR do you think it may be possible that it was always there and you just never noticed it. Once your brain "sees" something for the first time it has little problem seeing it every time there after. Kind'a like the where's Waldo images. As soon as you know where Waldo is he is very easy to see but before your brain "sees" him in the picture, he is virtually invisible.
ATC7 likes this.
post #9711 of 9828 Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

i wouldn't say that it never displayed it before, i just never noticed it before. it's exactly like you described though, and since the first time i noticed it on Real Time with Bill Maher, i notice it every single time now. and the same goes for the scene in 8mm, because i really like that movie and have seen it numerous times.

i've had nothing but plasma's since early 2006, and honestly i've never noticed it until the first time on Bill Maher with my current set. then again, i like his show and watch it every week numerous times, so if i watch something that frequently i'm going to notice imperfections with it...

thanks for the info though. i did a little research on it and it seems like there's no way to fix it, as far as settings or anything else goes, so i guess i'll just have to deal with it. at least i know what it's called now though, and thanks again...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #9712 of 9828 Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Liked: 10
I've had a TC-P65GT50 65 inch for about a year and have been very satisfied with the picture (running a HD cable box and PS3 through a Panasonic HD audio receiver to the TV. All connections via HDMI). I also have a Seagate external HD which I've been using to store and watch large videos and movies through the PS3. On a whim I recently hooked the Seagate drive directly to the Vierra TV via USB. And I was surprised that the videos watched directly via Hard drive-to-Vierra were noticeably crisper and have more of that "looking through a window" impact. The videos were all in MP4 or MKV format (for some reason the Vierra didn't recognize AVI or WMV. What's up with that?). So my questions are as follows:

1. Why would there be such a noticeable difference? Is it as simple as the extra processing layers going through the PS3 and then the receiver degrades the image slightly?
2. Is there a way to replicate the picture quality of the direct Hard drive-to-Vierra connection using the PS3? Going HD to Vierra is not ideal since I lose audio impact by not going through my surround sound system.
3. In general, do people recommend connecting a PS3 & cable box directly to the Vierra via HDMI and then connecting audio from each of those units to the receiver via Optical cable? Am I losing any picture quality by routing the HDMI through the receiver? I'm concerned that if I'm not getting the best picture performance out of my video files, I may not be getting the best out of my Blu-Ray's either on the PS3.

Thanks
post #9713 of 9828 Old 04-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Quick update to on issue I was having with brightness that I posted about a few pages ago. Had the certified Panasonic tech come out and they said it could either be the A Board or the SC Board, but most likely the A Board. I already have a call into Panasonic to see if they are will to help me out as I am only 6 months out on my warranty.
post #9714 of 9828 Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 PM

Liked: 13
Well, I had a year long honeymoon. It's now officially over. My Vierra TV functions have become pretty finicky.

At random times, for no apparent reason, I now get a gray box on my screen, telling me, "Connection to the server failed. (001)".

:mad:When I do the network test it passes. Everything else is up in my house, there's just no explanation.

Does anybody have any idea why I've now got this behavior?
post #9715 of 9828 Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 16
Sounds like a failing NIC card.
post #9716 of 9828 Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post

Sounds like a failing NIC card.

That would suck - I have it wired, not wireless.
post #9717 of 9828 Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 AM

Liked: 16
NICs handle both wireless and Ethernet. Actually it's not that bad. If that is what it is it should be a part you could easily replace yourself fairly cheaply...or buy an Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast...
Latinoheat likes this.
post #9718 of 9828 Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18

Try a system reset what apps are giving you trouble.

post #9719 of 9828 Old 04-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

... there's just no explanation ...

If there is no explanation, why do you seek one biggrin.gif

OK, I couldn't resist. Now, I have had intermittent problems with my lap-top, i-Pad, and the TV "loosing connection to the server." In all cases this has been the result of a slow or failed response from my ISP's DNS (domain name server). I got tired of this pretty quickly. I changed the default DNS that was initially auto-configured to my ISP to Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 and I haven't had a problem since then.

I don't know if my ISP was having trouble with their DNS or was reconfiguring their network but it could be a real PITA. Since switching to Google's server all of my web activity is much snappier and much more reliable. In your area, there may be other DNS services that are better than Google's but Google is a good starting point to see if this fixes your problem.

So, you need to go into your network settings and manually reconfigure the DNS to 8.8.8.8. They also have a secondary at 8.8.4.4. This is totally free and doesn't do anything goofy to the rest of your network.

If you are a web privacy fanatic, you may want another non-Google server since Google has become the world's largest information collection and processing agency.
post #9720 of 9828 Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had a second service call today to try to address the buzzing issue with my 60GT50. The same authorized repair Tech came out and we took the panel off the wall then set it on the stand facing backwards. The Tech took the rear cover off and I put on a DVD-A with a mostly white background. The buzzing was clearly audible from the power supply board and the SS board. The Tech called Panasonic and they recommended removing the SS board and cleaning the contacts. Once that was done we powered up the panel and the buzzing is the same.

The Tech called Panasonic back and they said with the TV speakers playing at volume level 15 if the buzz can be heard they will go from there. Well I told the Tech that there is no way the buzz will be heard under those conditions as one can only hear it when the audio is low or a pause in audio with a bright image on the screen. The Tech mentioned several times that the level of the buzzing with my panel was "normal" with plasmas. I respectfully disagreed with him and mentioned that I owned two other Panasonic plasmas and they did not buzz as the 60GT50 does.

So it looks like my only option is to contact Best Buy to see what they might do. I went with the local authorized Panasonic service center as I thought they would be better equipped to repair the panel. But now in hindsight I should have contacted Best Buy as they might have replaced the panel. But I was past my 45 day return period when the buzzing became clearly audible. If Best Buy will not do anything then I guess I'm stuck with a "buzzer". Oh well if this is the biggest problem I have to deal with then I'm doing just fine smile.gif.

Bill

I thought I would give a quick (as possible) update to the buzzing issue with my 60GT50. I have had two more service calls with several more boards changed out. The buzzing issue is not fixed and is actually getting worse. I'm to the point where I don't want to mute commercials when watching TV as the buzzing is that bad. I have called Panasonic at least a dozen times requesting a replacement as the service tech feels it is just a bad display. I heard back from Panasonic and they denied my request to replace the plasma due to it "being out of warranty". I called back today and told the supervisor that the buzzing issue was reported three months after I bought the plasma well within the warranty period. So how could this be deemed an issue "out of warranty"? The supervisor told me he would "look into this further and get back to me in "24-48 business hours". I mentioned to the supervisor that I have been told I'll be contacted in "24-48 hours" at least ten times and was never called back. He assured me that he would call me back.

This is my third Panasonic plasma and the first one with any problems. I also told him I've been buying Panasonic products for over 30 years and would appreciate being taken care off. The first customer service person I spoke today before the supervisor said they would sell me replacement TV for a considerable discount. I declined that offer. So it will be interesting to see if Panasonic wants to keep a long time customer happy. If not they will lose a long time customer and I'll be contacting the Attorney General in my state to file a complaint (lemon law). I'll post back to report if I'm successful or not.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread